Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: R_G SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/17/03 07:36 PM
OK, now, I been thinkin' about doing something about my seats for a long time, and went thru a lot of options. The situation is very simple:

1) Ya can get the cheap "performance" fake neoprene covers for something like under $30 per bucket - the look you are getting is [censored]

2) Ya can go for a so-called "cutom fit" performance real neoprene covers (more or less fitting your 'tour - provided ya got a tie split rod to remove the center armrest, and provided the plastic ring would be able to hold it again when u re-install it back, ya'll know how this plastic sh*# is) - it looks better and the cost is somewhere in the range of from $220 to $350 for front buckets incl. headrests and armrest. Ya can add another $250 for your rear seats, adding it up to something in the range of $500 in the best case...

3) Ya can go Klatzkin leather or Soft Trim Classic - getting the real sporty look and leather quality - but be prepared for exceeding the 12 hunds range (installation incl.)

4) Ya can get the real sporty seats made by the famous names such as Recaro, Sparko etc. - and ya can get each bucket for something around $350 (w/o shipping) - making your car look real good and spending about $750. Now, I had Recaro seat (driver seat only) in the past, and the truth is it wasn't very comfortable for a daily drive - the fact is them seats ARE not supposed to feel comfy in the first place. Back then I was something about $180, and getting out of it was still a bit of a challenge. However, now Corbeau has the WIDE option accomodating the waist up to 40". I believe that that's the best option - price vs. looks and durability. The only downside is that your rears are still gonna look the same, and it would be always a problem to find something matching - unless u wanna be a real race head and remove your rears altogether...

What ya peoplez think about it?

Posted By: 10mmFeeder Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/17/03 08:11 PM
What kind of car do you have? If you have an SVT, why would you want to change the seats, and if you don't, the SVT seats are very sweet.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/17/03 08:13 PM
#4 without a doubt. It looks the best and serves its purpose! im eventually getting some racing seats...someday when the money permits.
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/17/03 08:21 PM
Zetec... and what about SVT seats? I saw only like one ad from a guy who was selling them - but the shipment is gonna cost a fortune, besides, not everybody having them for sale would agree to handle and ship them?

Or u meant to order brand new SVT seats from Ford? I believe the price is gonna exceed all the 4 options combined together....
Posted By: jonnie Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/17/03 08:58 PM
I'd go with Option #4 - Corbeau. I'd look into getting two seats to fit in the back as well........plus side to this includes: cool factor, space inbetween the two back seats that you could custom build a sub box, headrests for the rear passengers, and oh, did I say cool factor????

Jonnie
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/17/03 11:31 PM
Originally posted by jonnie:
I'd look into getting two seats to fit in the back as well

ya mean to fit racing style FRONT seats in da back????????? nah, I think it would be way 2 much... and I never saw any of them offering rear seats....
Posted By: bamf2go Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 12:58 AM
Depending on what racing seats you get in the front, you can get the rear bench upholstered to match them (material and colors). Shouldn't cost as much to get the rear done like this as it costs to get the front seats but I am not sure as I have not checked into it myself. Only crappy part about racing seats is it makes ya not wanna get tinted windows!
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 01:12 AM
Originally posted by bamf2go:
Only crappy part about racing seats is it makes ya not wanna get tinted windows!

The front windows tinting is illegal in the state of NJ, so I guess I won't have this prob

... and yea, I guess you are right - the best choice is 2 racing seats and some cloth to match for the rear....
Posted By: csc99svt Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 02:14 AM
go with the racing seats man....i got an svt, and i dont think the seats in the svt are anything special....i have sat in probably 10-12 different types of racing seats at various shows and meets, and as soon as money permits and i can get something that will look halfway decent (biggest thing holding me back) with the stock leather (blue) i will have me some seats up front.....
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 02:24 AM
Originally posted by jonnie:
I'd go with Option #4 - Corbeau. I'd look into getting two seats to fit in the back as well........plus side to this includes: cool factor, space inbetween the two back seats that you could custom build a sub box, headrests for the rear passengers, and oh, did I say cool factor????

Jonnie

I'd go for #4, and if you want the rear seats to be more sporty and resemble the fronts, get Cougar rear seats. They are a split, bucket style seat,and they fit in the tour. They are not a direct swap however as some seatbelt anchor points and such are different. I've swapped some black/grey Coug seats into the back of my tour and love em, and everyone who rides in them except my parents has commented on how nicely they fit them. If you got black/grey color combo on the fronts and similar seats to what I have in the rear, you would have something that matches fairly closely and is all around sportier looking and feeling. Here's a link to my old Yahoo photo albumn, it has a couple of pictures I took just after I installed the Coug seats.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/redcaddy75/lst?.dir=/My+Contour&.view=t
Posted By: PeterM Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 04:26 AM
I have also been considering changing my seats. Wondering about pulling from another car (non SVT). Any ideas any one.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 07:41 AM
I'd go with #4 Corbeau for the driver.....since that is what I have. Now just gotta get another for my passenger!
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 03:56 PM
Nice... I would have covered the metal parts on your rear seats - on the sides - but it's my personal preferrence...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 05:39 PM
#4 and remove rear seats and build a custom subwoofer inclosure.
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/18/03 06:03 PM
already got my 2 subs installed - have to drive my kids too - so, I guess I will have to keep them rears
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 04:36 AM
sell the kids.
Posted By: DankBud42o Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
sell the kids.

thats a good idea
Posted By: johnny hennessy_dup1 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 05:20 AM
I would go for #4 I plan on doing that as well(when ever I get some money . I like the rear seat swap
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 06:28 AM
sell the kids.

That means we can sell you!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 06:38 AM
i'm not that guy's kid. atleast i don't think so.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 06:44 AM
i'm not that guy's kid. atleast i don't think so.

Don't have kids!
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 06:08 PM
sell the kids.

BEEN TRYING TO DO IT FOR A LONG TIME... I GUESS I HAVE TO POST AN AD IN THE 'MISCELLAENOUS' SECTION
Posted By: blury Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 07:34 PM
Id go with #4 in black and scower the salvage yards for black rear seat. If they even made one.
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/19/03 10:09 PM
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
Nice... I would have covered the metal parts on your rear seats - on the sides - but it's my personal preferrence...

I plan on it, just got interupted by laziness, and a lack of midnight blue carpet scraps.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/20/03 05:20 AM
Here is my seat!

Racing seat
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/20/03 03:58 PM

I answered to Loco, but my post went to some Pix and Videos section... GRRRRRR
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/20/03 04:37 PM

I answered to Loco, but my post went to some Pix and Videos section... GRRRRRR

Grrrr????
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/20/03 05:53 PM
Are you against installing your own leather (pre-sewn kits)? What year is your car? I'm looking at leatherseats.com for a kit. They'll do 2-tone w/ embroidery at no extra charge...I believe its $695 or something like that for the Contour. They also have one kit in clearance ($449)in smoke(gray)color for the Contour but I have the tan interior. I have installed upholstery on the buckets of my old s-15 before & it wasn't that difficult of a job & it looked just like a factory job. Not to mention if you run into trouble I'm sure a local shop could help. Just another option ...
Posted By: R_G Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/20/03 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Are you against installing your own leather (pre-sewn kits)? What year is your car? I'm looking at leatherseats.com for a kit. They'll do 2-tone w/ embroidery at no extra charge...I believe its $695 or something like that for the Contour. They also have one kit in clearance ($449)in smoke(gray)color for the Contour but I have the tan interior.

$695 + $500 in install - their final price is almost $1,200 - as they ADVERTISE it themselves.... 2 Corbeau racing seats - $700 and it's a simple bolt-on....
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/20/03 07:13 PM
Are you against installing your own leather (pre-sewn kits)? What year is your car? I'm looking at leatherseats.com for a kit. They'll do 2-tone w/ embroidery at no extra charge...I believe its $695 or something like that for the Contour. They also have one kit in clearance ($449)in smoke(gray)color for the Contour but I have the tan interior.

$695 + $500 in install - their final price is almost $1,200 - as they ADVERTISE it themselves.... 2 Corbeau racing seats - $700 and it's a simple bolt-on....

Notice I prefaced it by mentioning installing it yourself???? What's with the "ADVERTISE"? Are you shouting or being a smart a$$? No sh!t install is extra...when I said "they'll do" that means putting the kit together not installing it, & they will sell you the kit w/o installation. I guess I should have been more clear so that you can understand. Actually I don't think we're talking about the same company, the kit is $679 & I don't believe they offer installation. $700 for the front, what are you gonna do w/ the back? Then again, I really don't care...but I hope you've got something to back up your "racing" seats...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/21/03 05:14 AM
Then again, I really don't care...but I hope you've got something to back up your "racing" seats...

Yeah...no back seats.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/21/03 03:42 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZ2.0:
Then again, I really don't care...but I hope you've got something to back up your "racing" seats...

Yeah...no back seats.

hehehe ...loco, I wouldn't screw w/ you on the street, you skeeer me
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: SEATS - HARD DILEMMA - 05/22/03 05:02 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZ2.0:

Yeah...no back seats.

hehehe ...loco, I wouldn't screw w/ you on the street, you skeeer me

I skeeer myself!
© CEG Archives