Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Hightower GT Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 12:47 AM
Many times in the past some poor newbie hops in here and says something like, "Hey! Can I put the SHO V8 in my Contour???" That question soon followed by a resounding, "You're a f00king moron! It can NEVER BE DONE!!"

Well, I went on a little fact finding mission today while I was "oot and aboot".

I measured both engines from my Contour V6 and my Lincoln LS8. Here's what I found:

-Duratec V6 24" X 24" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

-Lincoln V8 26" X 26" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

So what does this mean? If you can spare 1" between the engine and the firewall, 1" between the engine and the radiator, and two inches between the crank pulley and the fender, it should fit. This, of course, if a custom fabricated engine mount(s) was made. Nothing a big block of steel and a grinder couldn't fix.

This also means the fancy 4.0L 282HP Jag engine with VCT will act the same, too.

Deep thawts.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 12:57 AM
What about the front to end and height?
alright...so,chris when are you going to make the swap kits.....
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 01:16 AM
with enough money...anything can be done...
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 04:05 AM
Originally posted by AirKnight:
What about the front to end and height?

Front to end is 26"

Height is the same as the v6.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 06:17 AM
Very interesting.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 09:49 AM
In reply to:

-Duratec V6 24" X 24" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

-Lincoln V8 26" X 26" from valve cover to valve cover, and crank pulley to tranny.

What is the tranny size on the transalxe that is mated with the V* and is there a MTX available?
Posted By: friction_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 02:59 PM
And doesn't the 3.9 bolt up to the MTX-75? I think I remember someone saying that...
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 04:31 PM
Originally posted by friction:
And doesn't the 3.9 bolt up to the MTX-75? I think I remember someone saying that...

Well, it has the same bolt pattern as the Lincoln LS 3L Duratec, so it should have the same bolt pattern as the MTX-75.
Posted By: My Red SVT_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 05:52 PM
Well. Im no car expert but.... if we totally replaced the engine with a Jag or Lincoln.... would it still be an SVT Contour? I agree with enough money, anything can be done... Cause if I had a bazillion buckaroos, I'd want to totally redo the insides of the contour... make it a rear wheel drive... put some super mods inside... and custom everything. and the reason i would do that is cause the SVT contour is such a nice looking car. unique... people are always WTF is that?!?!?!

i think i got carried away... in closing... i would like to put a new engine in my car... whatever works to make it faster.... would the new Cobra engine work if someone totally re-did the contour body?
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 06:08 PM
The whole purpose of this thread was to show that it's not as hard as people have originally thought. For engine management, I would just use one from a Mustang GT. Then, hook up the actuator for what would be the secondaries on the Mustang engine, to the VCT on a Jag engine. Then, you can put a TwEECer on the Mustang PCM.

It's just spark plugs and injectors
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 06:44 PM
The older this car gets, the easier this will get, and the more you will see it. Lot's of old cars running around out there with crazy engine swaps.

If they can drop a Cossie engine in a Focus and make it RWD, I don't see how we would be perpetually limited. Yeah, it takes money, and maybe some cutting, but that's the kind of thing these old gearheads do before breakfast.

Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 08:40 PM
You guys want someone to step up to the plate? I'LL DO IT! I am willing to put in the time and effort and money involved to make this work! Now Chris, all I need is the v-8 out of your LS and I'll be ready to start.
Posted By: gabrielito23 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/01/02 08:50 PM
What about jag's x type transmission layout? couldnt we make contours all wheel drive?
Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/02/02 12:10 AM
Dude I really hope somebody decides to attempt this totally, just cause I want to be jealous of them.
Posted By: The_Realest Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/03/02 04:44 AM
I know of a Used Lincoln LS 4.0L LS Engine. Low miles. $900.00
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/03/02 08:05 AM
Chris,

You may have read my post a few months back on this topic.

After measuring the engine in a V8 Continental and a V8 SHO Taurus I determined that there is indeed room for a V8 under the hood in the normal transvers position.

But something has to go. There would not be room for the transmission, or at least the bell housing (that is about 2"). A Contour would surely look very funny if the whole car were widened enough for this. Kind of brings the old AMC Pacer to mind.
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/03/02 02:37 PM
Just keep in mind that the engine is going to torque in the engine bay, I was amazed at the amount of engine rotation, watching the video I made at the dyno the other day..

I have always been a big fan of v-8s and in a way... I .. can't believe.... I'm.. saying this.. but what about taking an SVT Focus engine and tranny and mounting in the engine bay then strapping in a jackson supercharger? Not sure of the weight difference, but that might be interesting. Some reports are saying about 230 HP at the crank but the torque is gonna be a little low at around 130.. so maybe its not really that great of an idea.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/03/02 03:53 PM
Why do that when the basic 3L swaps are running around 230 at the crank and cost a hell of a lot less than another engine AND a supercharger. If that isn't enough the 3L - 2.5L hybrid swaps are making anywhere from 230-275 at the crank.
To top that off, for essentially for the same cost of that engine and supercharger you can drop in a 3L and a vortech supercharger and net 350 at the crank.
And for a little more cash you can add the turbo kit instead.

-you can do the math.

warmonger
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/04/02 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Chris,

You may have read my post a few months back on this topic.

After measuring the engine in a V8 Continental and a V8 SHO Taurus I determined that there is indeed room for a V8 under the hood in the normal transvers position.

But something has to go. There would not be room for the transmission, or at least the bell housing (that is about 2"). A Contour would surely look very funny if the whole car were widened enough for this. Kind of brings the old AMC Pacer to mind.

LS/Jag V8 will bolt to existing tranny. Notice I said the engine (total) is only 2 inches longer than the Duratec V6.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/04/02 06:12 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Why do that when the basic 3L swaps are running around 230 at the crank

i thought it was 200hp?? how bout buy a zetec and turbolize it and some other things,, and have up to 1000hp???
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/04/02 02:47 PM
cause a 1000 hp turbo'd 4banger can only be driven at the track.
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/04/02 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Y2KBlack&BlueSVT:
cause a 1000 hp turbo'd 4banger can only be driven at the track.

Ohh I'm pretty sure I could drive one on the highway. Imagine all the cars you scare.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 12:22 AM
imagine all the trees you'd hit
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 12:43 AM

Hit? no. Go through? yah.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 01:15 AM
Ok! But the question now is, "Will the MTX tranny take the brute force from the V8 long term?". I am sure it would work, but what would the long term effects be and is there anyway to really tell? The clutch would be an abvious weak link and that would be easy enough I guess. But how much more torque would we be talking about at the wheels?

I have to admit that it is an interestin thought. Kind of makes you want to start searching the junkyards. Tax time is right around the corner!!
Posted By: TGO Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 01:19 AM
We've got supercharged contours and turbo contours pushing 350+ crank hp through that "fragile" trans...
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 08:27 AM
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
We've got supercharged contours and turbo contours pushing 350+ crank hp through that "fragile" trans...

Like I say to Keyser, "Just don't shift!! " Of course I'm kidding.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 11:24 AM
here are a few things to ponder...
how much more do the v8's weigh than our v6? will the extra weight be enough to throw off the handling balance of our cars? and what about the v8 from a taurus SHO? will that fit as well?
Posted By: Cougar Bob Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 02:19 PM
With all accessories but no fluids, the 3L in the Lincoln weighs 362 lbs, versus 444 for the V8.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 02:35 PM
do you think an extra 100 lbs over the front wheels will disrupt the wieght balance enough to be concerned?
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 02:43 PM
do you think an extra 100 lbs over the front wheels will disrupt the wieght balance enough to be concerned?

Yes, if you're concerned about handling. These cars are already a bit nose-heavy.

Of course, IIRC, headers or gutted pre-cats are lighter than operative pre-cats, and the battery could be moved to the trunk. A lighter flywheel would help in this area, as well, along with other possible benefits.

Hmmm. Would we need a beefier suspension than is currently available, or would Eibach or H&R, et al be OK?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 05:15 PM
you'll have to redo the brake system, though, since it'll be even more front biased. . .100lbs is alot, you could shave off lost of weight with the CF hood. . .
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 07:01 PM
wasnt someone making carbon fiber front fenders as well?
Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 10:27 PM
To answer that guys question about the sho v8...first off it has reliability issues, and secondly it is slow for a V8. Plus IIRC someone said it is too big to fit into our cars, which is weird cause it is only 3.4 right? The Lincoln is 3.9 I think, and jag is 4.2. Dang a 4.2 V8 in a contique...if this ever happens ricers across the country will have no chance!

Shoot lets just throw the New Cobra Engine in the Contique
Posted By: TGO Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/05/02 11:19 PM
lose the battery and all mounting hardware, lose the hood (go carbon fiber/fiberglass) and you've got about 70lbs+ off the front end. Either way I don't think it's that big of a deal. Equate it to a fat person rding along with you
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/06/02 12:09 AM
In reply to:

Equate it to a fat person rding along with you

More clearly strapping a fat person to your hood.
Posted By: TGO Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/06/02 01:23 AM
still, it'll affect handling more than braking i would think, if at all.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/06/02 02:13 AM
so since we can get 70 lbs off the front and add roughly 85 with the swap then it should be just fine. who has the $$$ to be the first v8 Contour?
FWIW, I just got of the phone with Terry H. He is putting LS engines in Contours.

Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/06/02 02:54 AM
Terry is installing LS-6 motors.

Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/06/02 04:53 AM
so...roughly how much will a jag motor and ECU cost? after i am out of school i will be able to save money again. will the cost leave me with the question of 3.5 and house or v8 and refrigerator box?
Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/06/02 03:43 PM
I would think the V8 would be cheaper than the sho shop 3.5. Plus it is an 8. The deep exhaust sound of a cobra or trans am in a contique

I am willing to donate my car as the test car...It wouldn't be til next year til I have this amount of cash on hand however. I would need plenty of help from people to work on it though, since I don't know hardly anything about engines besides basics. The most intensive thing I have ever done to a car is to replace my intake, which I did last week.

But can someone figure out what the cost of the jag V8 and the Lincoln V8 will be? Anyway to hybrid one of those to get more power than the stock engine?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/07/02 04:35 AM
I would rally like to see how you make a V8 fit. I really don't think there is room for this to be practical.

Given enough money and sufficient lack of common sense, a way could be found, but I don't know how much of a Contour you would have left.

This sort of reminds me of the guy that in the late 60's had a Chevelle running around Bakersfield with an Allison aircraft V12 installed in it. The engine took up so much room that the driver had to sit it what was once the back seat. When he could get the tires to hook up, it really screamed.

You could also do what a few have done in the past and just install a second engine. This has been done on cars a little as a Mini Cooper (Twini Mini) and as big as a Cadillac. One engine in front, and another engine in the rear.

I like a lot of engine as much as the next guy (or maybe more), but if it is to be a daily driver, you need to stop short of turning it into drag strip funny car.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/07/02 11:45 AM
In reply to:

Many times in the past some poor newbie hops in here and says something like, "Hey! Can I put the SHO V8 in my Contour???" That question soon followed by a resounding, "You're a f00king moron! It can NEVER BE DONE!!"

Well, I went on a little fact finding mission today while I was "oot and aboot".

I measured both engines from my Contour V6 and my Lincoln LS8. Here's what I found:

So what does this mean? If you can spare 1" between the engine and the firewall, 1" between the engine and the radiator, and two inches between the crank pulley and the fender, it should fit. This, of course, if a custom fabricated engine mount(s) was made. Nothing a big block of steel and a grinder couldn't fix.

This also means the fancy 4.0L 282HP Jag engine with VCT will act the same, too.

Deep thawts.

did you even read the first post? only 2 inches longer in each direction. that is NOT a lot bigger.
Posted By: Ken04 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/08/02 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:

Deep thawts.

I saw a V-8 powered Focus on NOPI's car show on ESPN last Saturday. So it definitely can be done to a Contour, regardless of what the nay-sayers say. Remember, if it wasn't for someone who WANTED something, we'd still believe the world was flat, that man could never fly and cars would NEVER go more than 200 mph in the quarter mile. People who say "it can't be done" are people who for them, it can't be. Because they can do NOTHING. Good post amigo, I love a person with vision and with a dream, Ken
Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/09/02 03:56 AM
ok you can find lincoln engines for like 1000 bucks on car-parts.com, so what else will you need beside the engine? Obviously this wouldn't be a hybrid, at least this is what I am thinking. I know custom made motor mounts would be needed. How much would a new LS8 engine or this jaq engine run?
Posted By: docjames Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/09/02 06:08 AM
What about the weight at the front end?

Sure, it's run the 1/4 mile nicely, but if you needed to turn a corner.....QE2 like handling......
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/09/02 05:06 PM
In reply to:

What about the weight at the front end?

uhh, asked and answered already buddy. does anyone read what was already written before asking something?????
It seems like it would be better in almost every way to just boost the hell out of your current engine.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/10/02 07:01 PM
but then you cant say you have a v8 in your tour now can you?
Posted By: friction_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/10/02 10:01 PM
How long is a Zetec? I would guess is that it's about the same length as the V8.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/10/02 10:16 PM
How long is a Zetec? I would guess is that it's about the same length as the V8.

Not hardly.
Posted By: friction_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/10/02 10:21 PM
within an inch, I'm sure.

Does anybody have dimensions?
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/11/02 09:17 AM

Actually, that's an interesting question. The V6, you have to deal with the length of only three cyls (I know there is a slight offset). Theoretically, if you can fit a 2L I-4 in there, a 4L V8 should be roughly the same.

There's still a good chance it can fit.
Posted By: 1FASTDAD Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/12/02 04:19 PM
hey. Lets put an end to the speculation. Im coming in to alot of money soon. When i get the cash i will try a swap to a larger engine. I might try the v8 or i will bore out a v6 as big as is goes. Any how if anyone has any ideas for me let me know by Pm me
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/12/02 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 1FASTDAD:
hey. Lets put an end to the speculation. Im coming in to alot of money soon. When i get the cash i will try a swap to a larger engine. I might try the v8 or i will bore out a v6 as big as is goes. Any how if anyone has any ideas for me let me know by Pm me

It would probably be easier to drop in a V8 and have some headers made for it. Boring out and/or stroking a 3L involves parts that aren't made yet (pistons, rods, crank)

If you where not all the way up in Canada, I would love to help out.

My advice is to get one of the new 4.2L Jag S-Type engines with 295HP. Add a nice computer to it, intake, and some good headers/exhaust and you are well into 350-ish. V8's like nitrous, too (500+ HP easy)

Oh, and while you're in there, get a Bulldog Box from Terry Haines, and a heavy duty clutch.

Yes, it will still be a Contour
Posted By: zaphod_fl Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/13/02 03:36 AM
Okay, I went out and measured by I-4. Its about 25" square. Looks like there is about 1/2" to 1" between the engine and the firewall, Engine and the front of the car. Looks like you could get at least an inch on the belt side, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch before you hit the airbox. You would definatly have to go towards the belt side because of the Tranny mount.

Could be done.
Originally posted by mbb41:

ROFL!
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/14/02 10:08 AM
wasnt someone making carbon fiber front fenders as well?
The fenders aren't heavy. Unless Ford did some major changes between the pre and post 98s.

Who says you cant push the engine towards the drivers side if you needed the room? Custom trans mount and shortened/lengthened CV shafts.
Posted By: Donttease Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/14/02 10:59 PM
Intresting reading about the V8 lump conversion....love the V8 sound. How's the wieght of the V8 compare with the V6? Will it mean getting some different springs and dampers to cope?
Over here we have a Rover 3.5 V8 and I could maybe get hold off a small block 5.7 chevy?! 5.7 being lighter than the Duratec V6 i been told. Not that hot on V8's...
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/15/02 06:34 AM
Anything's possible

I seen an old VW SuperBeetle with a front engine, narrowed 9 inch rear drive, blown 468 ci Chevy bigblock at a carshow once.

I also seen a Harley Davidson that had a transverse mounted Aluminum Chevy 350 smallblock V8 at another show.

No reason why a little block V8 can't fit in a 'Tour with a little coax'n

Course do'in it will probably bring out the following emotions one or more times throughout the project: > >

But once the job is all done, there'll be one Contour owner with a big a$$ smile on his face

Until something breaks!
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/15/02 07:33 PM
ok, the question about weight was asked twice already. it is about 85 pounds heavier, 2 inches longer, and 2 inches wider and it bolts up to our tranny. no need for major surgery here.
Posted By: geoffct_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/15/02 08:33 PM
Here is something interesting I have found

the Continental 4.6 will bolt to a MTX75, then you the block can be modded like a stang 4.6. Oh yeah.

My Transmission Post
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/16/02 06:26 PM
Originally posted by geoffct:
Here is something interesting I have found

the Continental 4.6 will bolt to a MTX75, then you the block can be modded like a stang 4.6. Oh yeah.

My Transmission Post

Continental 4.6 is very different than Mustang 4.6. Supposed to be much longer anyway. I'd rather go with a newer technology Jag or LS V8.

Oh wait!! I DO have an LS V8

Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/17/02 07:52 AM
yeah, but your v8 isnt in the tour.
Posted By: COBM_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/19/02 03:53 AM
If you guys are good HMS may make it happen
I was talking to Terry a few day ago and the idea is been his mind for some time. Everything else is top secret
Posted By: xfg1_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/19/02 08:55 PM
if you're gonna go with v8 power why not convert to all wheel drive? wouldn't the running gear from the mk1 mondeo si 4x4 work? if you've got the cash for the engine swap i don't think importing the required components from england/ germany/ where ever would be out of the question. just a thought...
Posted By: rftour Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/20/02 02:49 AM
Ok for all the people out there who want to try to stuff a v-8 inro a tour its already been done dont know all the specs on it but a buddy of mine works at an auto parts store where i live a guy came in to buy an oil filter for a tour and was asked what engine he said either a 5.7 or 5.9 v8 and the car was rear wheel drive it was a limited production to 300 cars in the world and this was an FBI car
so i guess the feds are getting the good [censored]. and from what i understand it looks like a stock contour
talk about a sleeper
Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/20/02 05:23 AM
no offense to you, but I would say that someone here is full of BS. I find it hard to believe that some dude got a 5.7 in a contour...well if he converted to rear wheel drive then he may have all the money in the world to make it wider too. And also I highly doubt the feds would spend that much money on R & D and then to do the mods for 300 contours.
Posted By: COBM_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/20/02 11:33 PM
If this happens it will be a LS V8. It won't be install in my car.
The cost of importing and installing the AWD system is 5 times the cost of the engine swap
Originally posted by rftour:
a guy came in to buy an oil filter for a tour and was asked what engine he said either a 5.7 or 5.9 v8 and the car was rear wheel drive it was a limited production to 300 cars in the world and this was an FBI car
so i guess the feds are getting the good [censored]. and from what i understand it looks like a stock contour
talk about a sleeper
I think your friend has a Contour confused with a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS.
Posted By: xfg1_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/21/02 07:53 PM
five times the cost of an engine swap to install awd? thats a shame, the idea of cruisin' in an all wheel drive tour was beginning to grow on me... i'm sure if i look back on this threat i'll find the answer but what's the difference in weight between the v8 & v6? how much hp can the duratec handle before its really just a track car and not a street car. here in the uk i've seen turbo'd zetecs with up to 400+ ponies and unless your trying to go a whole lot more than that with a v8, isn't power to weight an issue? just something that came to mind
Posted By: COBM_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 11/22/02 01:34 AM
like I said before. I'm not the one doing this on my car.
this is for some one else. I did not got into detail about RWD, FWD or AWD With Terry.
wowsers...to a newbie that just stumbled upon this thread im amazed at the idea and makes me wanna go find another contour to tinker with.

so what ever happened to this? did anyone succed? try?

Posted By: Bailey Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/23/03 10:18 AM
Originally posted by mbb41:

Your from Ontario that means you drive very very slowly and follow the speed limit
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/29/03 04:12 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but the dream is alive

-Chris
Posted By: m!key Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/29/03 04:36 AM
and i thought the LS 3.0L turbo was a dream. this v8 thing might be just crazy enough to work.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/31/03 10:28 AM
hey, just an added note.... i was searching on ebay.co.uk for mondeo stuff to stick on my car, and i found a 1995 mondeo toy car that was modeled after a prototype V-8 mondeo from ford.

according to the guy, i guess they were planning to put a V-8 in the mondeo and race it or something, but scrapped the idea..... maybe someone on fordmondeo.org knows something about this "prototype"

dunno what V-8 they would have used, being 1995....

here's the link to the toy car.... if it's true, someone should know about it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3540450962&category=223

EDIT: oh, and i'm staring at the pic for the car, and it's a LHD mondeo, maybe from germany???
Posted By: TorsenRick Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/31/03 12:34 PM
Don't the Lincoln LS engines have an intake manifold/throttle body that points to the front of the engine instead of the rear, like in the transverse mount?
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/31/03 03:59 PM
Originally posted by rftour:
a guy came in to buy an oil filter for a tour and was asked what engine he said either a 5.7 or 5.9 v8 and the car was rear wheel drive it was a limited production to 300 cars in the world and this was an FBI car
talk about a sleeper

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/31/03 05:17 PM
Originally posted by insayne_kokane:
hey, just an added note.... i was searching on ebay.co.uk for mondeo stuff to stick on my car, and i found a 1995 mondeo toy car that was modeled after a prototype V-8 mondeo from ford.

according to the guy, i guess they were planning to put a V-8 in the mondeo and race it or something, but scrapped the idea..... maybe someone on fordmondeo.org knows something about this "prototype"

dunno what V-8 they would have used, being 1995....

here's the link to the toy car.... if it's true, someone should know about it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3540450962&category=223

EDIT: oh, and i'm staring at the pic for the car, and it's a LHD mondeo, maybe from germany???

I think he's full of crap. It looks like the "standard" STW (Super Touren Wagen) Mondy with no stickers. Like maybe he got hold of one before it was finished? (I have the Asch #17 car..., and yes, it was a German race series.)

I guess the real question is whether Ford ever tested a V-8 in the Mondy. I have to agree, in 1995, what V-8 would it have been?

We know they tested a de-stroked 2.0L Duratec, I believe for the BTCC but found it wanting.

V-8? You're right. I think we'd have heard about it by now.
Originally posted by TorsenRick:
Don't the Lincoln LS engines have an intake manifold/throttle body that points to the front of the engine instead of the rear, like in the transverse mount?

What's wrong with that? The new Mondeo and Jag X-type's TB are facing backwards. The Jag S-type V8 intake faces forward, which would be bad for the placement of the top motor mount. The XJ and XK series have their's on the rear, but facing straight up. The LS intake seems to be the best choice, IMHO.
Posted By: Mudge_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 08/01/03 01:07 PM
Never heared about a V8 in a Mondeo for any Racing Series here in Germany except the new V8-Star, but there are 4WD-Mondeos in Germany. Not many of them, but they exist!
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 08/02/03 07:37 AM
according to my friends ford cd, the v8 out of the lincon continental (which is transverse mounted) should fit, the engine bays are roughly the same size (radiator to firewall and strut tower to strut tower... ditch the battery and dump the washer reservoir and move the brake reservoir etc and it could work... stronger transaxle too
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/07/04 05:37 AM
Originally posted by RogerB:

We know they tested a de-stroked 2.0L Duratec, I believe for the BTCC but found it wanting.

Correction - they RACED a 2L duratec V6 - it was BTCC max displacment that spawned that bugger. And "found it wanting"????? - yeah - sure

Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/07/04 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Speed Demon:
according to my friends ford cd, the v8 out of the lincon continental (which is transverse mounted) should fit, the engine bays are roughly the same size (radiator to firewall and strut tower to strut tower... ditch the battery and dump the washer reservoir and move the brake reservoir etc and it could work... stronger transaxle too

If you park a Continental next to a Contour with the hoods open (I have), you can easily see that the Continental engine bay is wider. My observation is that there is room for the V8 engine, but not room for both the V8 engine and a transmission.

But what the heck, if you can find a shoehorn that will do the job, more power too you. The car will look a little silly though with the tires sticking way out of the front fenders because there is no longer room under the wheel wells.

Posted By: Sl33stak Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/07/04 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:

Deep thawts.

Is this because of my RECENT post in the 3.0 L section? I DO have the money for something like this (well, maybe, depends on how much it REALLY ends up costing) so that's why I asked, and I'm not THAT NEW! Pffft!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/07/04 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Horse:
Originally posted by RogerB:

Correction - they RACED a 2L duratec V6 - it was BTCC max displacment that spawned that bugger. And "found it wanting"????? - yeah - sure

In the early racing series, they tried taking a 2.5L and destroking it to 2.0, and yes it was because of the rules limitations. They tried a few different head configurations but could not get enough hp out of it as a 2.0 to be competitive. They ended up using another rule about "corporate family" to put a Mazda powerplant under the hood, with which they had greater success. I'm not sure if this carried over to the later BTCC seasons, or not, or if the 2.0L Duratec of which you speak might have happened later, if at all. At any rate, I have the technical article that they wrote about their little experiment, or at least I used to have it as a pdf, and it was posted on CEG a long time back. I'll see if I can find it in the archives.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/07/04 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Originally posted by Speed Demon:

If you park a Continental next to a Contour with the hoods open (I have), you can easily see that the Continental engine bay is wider. My observation is that there is room for the V8 engine, but not room for both the V8 engine and a transmission.

But what the heck, if you can find a shoehorn that will do the job, more power too you. The car will look a little silly though with the tires sticking way out of the front fenders because there is no longer room under the wheel wells.

if your gonna spend that kinda money, might as well upgrade the rear wheels to stick out more, and then turn around and use a wide body kit, pretty sure you must design it, as the c27 kit kinda fell, and the fenders aren't offered i believe. (not to sure, don't listen to me on that part). anyways If you had a wide body kit and moved the rear wheels out, then nobody would even notice.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/08/04 11:00 PM
Quote:

If this happens it will be a LS V8. It won't be install in my car.
The cost of importing and installing the AWD system is 5 times the cost of the engine swap

You haven't looked very hard then...

I've found numerous Jag X-types that have been in accidents for $5k! The drivetrains are perfect they only have body damage. No use in getting a huge ass motor when you can't hook up with your current one. I'll let you know when I start the swap but it might be a few months.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/08/04 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Blackcoog:
I've found numerous Jag X-types that have been in accidents for $5k! The drivetrains are perfect they only have body damage. No use in getting a huge ass motor when you can't hook up with your current one. I'll let you know when I start the swap but it might be a few months.

I have friend that wants to do this. I hope he doesn't read this thread With my luck I'll find a junked X-type in my yard with a cougar sitting next too it Damnit now he has more motivation to make me do it
Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 02:31 AM
you guys all got it wrong. the focus is on the same basic platform as the contour. Ford racing performance parts makes a kit to bolt in an 03 cobra dohc supercharged motor with a six speed trans and rear wheel drive. that is roughly 400+ hp at the rear wheels and a six speed tranny in a contour. it could be done with deep enough pockets. thinking about it makes me drool.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 02:56 AM
Originally posted by BSOELMAN:
you guys all got it wrong. the focus is on the same basic platform as the contour. Ford racing performance parts makes a kit to bolt in an 03 cobra dohc supercharged motor with a six speed trans and rear wheel drive. that is roughly 400+ hp at the rear wheels and a six speed tranny in a contour. it could be done with deep enough pockets. thinking about it makes me drool.

You got it all wrong the FOCUS is nothing like the contour platform.. good job showing your ignorance Chinstrap

I suggest you remove your head from your ass then think and then possibly post but it would do the whole site a favor if you never posted again!
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 03:04 AM
Whaaat? But they both have the zetec, they MUST have the same platform!!
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Steeda The Ninja:

You got it all wrong the FOCUS is nothing like the contour platform.. good job showing your ignorance Chinstrap

I suggest you remove your head from your ass then think and then possibly post but it would do the whole site a favor if you never posted again!

OWNED!! Too bad with the Cobra motor you have to run manual brakes with no power assist
Posted By: Stazi Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

OWNED!! Too bad with the Cobra motor you have to run manual brakes with no power assist

Not true!

You can install a vacuum accumulator to allow you to run vac-assist brakes.
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 03:13 PM
For those of you who get Motor Trend, they just did a cover story comparing the Lamborghini Gallardo and the Ford Focus RS8. It has a "Cammer" V8 in it. which is the DOHC 5.0L and it is not s/c. and they did transform it to RWD and it's going through a 5-spd tranny. it runs a sick 1/4 mile time of 12.7@113.7mph and a skidpad rating of .99g. All around it sounds like a pretty nice focus for $31k(for the european rs model) and $105k for the one motor trend tested. newho, if u want to read the whole article, go and buy the motor trend for august 2004. really interesting article. and if they can cram a 5.0L V8 in a focus, than why can't we cram one in our contours?
Posted By: Stryker Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 03:28 PM
there is a reason it costs 105K for the one they tested. somebody, if they gathered enough fellow CEG'ers (though i could think of a few that could do it by themsleves) could do it...but it couls end up soting more than some peopel make in a year...

does anyone know how much a 4.6L S/C cobra motor costs for example?

second one on the list, says contact dealer for price

not trying to be an ass to anyone, just saying sure it can be done, with enough money. im sure terry would enjoy the challenge, as would i, but i wouldnt tackle it alone, and i wouldnt tackle it without a (semi) bottomelss pocketbook.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 04:00 PM
the 5.0 Cammer V8 is said to cost in the neighborhood of 5-7K

Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 04:53 PM
doc vox

you dont have to be such a dick head about it doc vox. Some people may not know as much as you. you had to learn sometime too. everybody does. all you are doing is making everone thing that you are a serious ass hole.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 05:02 PM
Ever hear of the GRM $200x challenge? You have to acquire and prep a car for under $2004 dollars ($2005 for next year, get it?) to compete in a drag, autocross, and concours judging. This has been going on for 5 years, now, and V-8 engine swaps have become very popular. Seems nothing makes more torque for less money than good old American iron. So, last year's winner was a v-8 powered Miata. This year it was a V-8 powered 300ZX, but the wildest ride was the V-8 powered, rear-driven 1986 CRX. Came in like 6th or 7th out of about 80 competitors.

People who say it can't be done are wrong.

People who say it will be too expensive are also wrong.

I'm not saying I know how to do it, mind you, but I have come to believe that anything is possible, and it's not about the money, but the ingenuity and skill that is available and motivated.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 05:08 PM

you dont have to be such a dick head about it doc vox. Some people may not know as much as you. you had to learn sometime too. everybody does. all you are doing is making everone thing that you are a serious ass hole.

Vox was a bit over the top, but you seemed to speak with authority while putting your foot in your mouth.

If it's any consolation, you made a very intelligent post over on that stupid "I hate synthetic oil" rant, so I guess you can stay.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Horse:
the 5.0 Cammer V8 is said to cost in the neighborhood of 5-7K

Actualy I belive it costs about $10k,plus the wire harness and computer etc.. was said to cost some were around $13-15k .

A while back we did some pre-lim measurements at ATI motorsports(makers of the 03 cobra focus) and initial measurements said it would fit, but we never got under the car to take final meaurements. And no it would't cost $110k, maybe more like $30k,depending on set up chosen i.e. Irs,or solid, OHC,or, 5.0l etc..
Posted By: auiotour Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 05:34 PM
we can cram a v8 into a contour, we have enough room with slight modifications, you think the focus didn't get those modifications. the focus did! Somebody just has to be willing to do it, and expect failer, and still keep trying until they do get it. And once that happens, they will be very well known on CEG quickly, along with most racing magazines, just as the guys who did the focus v8.
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 05:57 PM
For those of you that might be refering to my post, i know it's not an easy job. i know the focus had to e modified heavily, hell it's even RWD. I had asked about this when i first got my CSVT and everyone bashed the idea to death saying it was impractical and stupid, but to hell with practicality, it's about the fun and the challenge. and the $105k was just the figure out of motor trend, i know it's not going to cost to much especially if you can do most of the work yourself, i'm sure that figure included a cr@pload of labor cost and misc. stuff like rear-ends, wheels, brakes, guages, transmission, ect. obviously this is not an easy task, and definately not the cheapest, but it definately would be very unique.
Posted By: Barge Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 07:35 PM
doc vox

He is though... so everyone might as well think that he is.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 08:17 PM
Revived an old thread without even posting in it.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:

Not true!

You can install a vacuum accumulator to allow you to run vac-assist brakes.

Then why didn't they do it when they built that protype with the Cobra engine in it. And where are you gonna put the accumualtor? There is no room under the hood and under the car it's tight too. I know anything can be done, but come on already. The car also overheated when ran hard if I remember correctly.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:01 PM
why not put it in the trunk area, its possible, i mean come on, I just found out my other air conditioner is in the back of our expidition, but works for most of the car. Its not hard to move stuff around.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:18 PM
I know it's not hard to move stuff around...it's just well. Yeah I'd do it if I had the money and the time. but Foci and cobras aren't my cup of tea.
Posted By: Stryker Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:32 PM
I know it's not hard to move stuff around...it's just well. Yeah I'd do it if I had the money and the time. but Foci and cobras aren't my cup of tea.

how the hell would you get a contour with a cobra motor to pass inspection??? the turned me down today because my windshiled stip of tint was too low (aftermarket..dont get me started).
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:41 PM
WE're talking about hat Cobra powered Focus. I can't remmeber who built it for the life of me. SCC did a test on it and loved it, but it had it's short comings....manual brakes overheating etc. But all in all it flat out performed. But it cost I think like 50K to have it done by the shop that originally did the car. I need to go dig up that issue again I can't remember crap. Oh and about emissions, All I have to do is move about 20 miles west and I'm out of emissions in the next county
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:41 PM
The car also overheated when ran hard if I remember correctly.

It did overheat the fisrt few times out, but that problem was solved long ago when they switched to dual electric fans.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 09:44 PM
Ahh my bad Like I said I need to read up on it some more. but anyways wasn't this thread about a V8 in a contour
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/09/04 10:38 PM
Holy COW people! The original post by me YEARS ago, was to prove that a V8 could be put into the Contour and it still be FWD. Making a Contour RWD is easy with enough welding rods and grinding disks. FWD V8 Contour is a LOT easier than most people think.

Oh, and the Continental 4.6L is very wrong in size (and tunability) for the Contour. Stick with the Jag 4.0L or the LS/Thunderbird Lima 3.9L V8. Or one of the nice new 4.2L Jags.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/10/04 05:26 AM
doc vox

I never claimed to be nice... IF your gonna post about stuff you have no clue about your gonna get a comment like i gave you!
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/10/04 05:49 AM
You people are NOT going to get this thread killed!!! It has tons of valuable information that deserves to be talked about.

You guys take your pissing match

Posted By: SAV Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/10/04 05:53 AM
Classic.
Posted By: Robsdaace Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/10/04 07:26 AM
lol funny 1 chris i like it
Posted By: janostak Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/11/04 03:21 AM
I'm broke but am willing to let someone put a V8 (FWD or RWD) in my car if they wanted to do it
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/14/04 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe:
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness, concerning all acts of initiative (and creation). There is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too, all sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occured. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Posted By: auiotour Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/14/04 04:24 PM
So, I don't feel like sorting through 100+ posts to find this, but what would the costs be for this type of a project. This would be a fun project. I just wish, I could get the two people in my area that know a lot about the contour engine together in order to work on a project like this. If I get the job I am thinking I will get. This project will become easier to do. As I will be making almost an addition $900 a month, before my insurrance goes down. I want to do something nobody has tried yet... Also, the car would be converted to a rear wheel drive car, am I correct?
Posted By: auiotour Re: Stuff a V8 in your car? read... - 07/14/04 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 95Mike:
You guys want someone to step up to the plate? I'LL DO IT! I am willing to put in the time and effort and money involved to make this work! Now Chris, all I need is the v-8 out of your LS and I'll be ready to start.

hey look didn't even notice one of the guys I was talking about would like to do it... Hey man, I will help the whole way of the install, And return you know what your car has I want... .of course I will still pay lol. That is if it can be done the the 4.0l engine! lol.
© CEG Archives