Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Harrry Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/17/06 07:31 AM
Who has done the conversion on these. I read in the search that it has been done. I would like to get some input of the aftermath and are they worth it!!
Last I knew it was plug and play. Wiring is there.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/17/06 12:51 PM
^^^ What he said. I have a pair sitting on my workbench waiting for paint. They'll be next to useless here in Texas, but I had 'em on my parts car so why not?
How do they work? Do they just turn on (heat up) when the defroster button is active?
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/17/06 09:14 PM
Yes.
That was a 95-97 only option, correct? Contour & Mystique?

There is just a printed circuit stuck to the back of the glass, which gets current and heats up.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/18/06 05:48 AM
Well i guess off to www.car-parts.com is where i will be searching for healights!!
i saw several pre98s at the junkyard. can i tell if they have heated mirrors? using the defrost switch will be useless at the junkyard. r the mirrors marked or etched to show they are heated versions?
Posted By: rouar Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/20/06 01:41 PM
Woah where did the main site go? Part of the revamping I guess?
There was a set of pictures showing some of the decontenting and had a picture of the heated mirrors. I think they said something like 'heated' but can't be sure.
You can tell by looking at the mirror and see if there are wires running to the glass peice itself. Thats what I did for my old contour when I put them in. Local yard had two of them in the right color... but they got smashed and left with the other car.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/20/06 07:22 PM
The wiring is not there for heated mirrors on the 98-00.

The plug for the power mirrors is missing the wires for the heat. It has to be wired in. This one of my next projects soon. Had the mirrors sitting around since this spring and would like them installed for winter.
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

The plug for the power mirrors is missing the wires for the heat. It has to be wired in. This one of my next projects soon. Had the mirrors sitting around since this spring and would like them installed for winter.

I realize that. He is asking how to identify the heated mirrors at the junk yard. He needs to look for the glass that has the wires on it. I did the conversion on a 98.5, thanks.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/20/06 07:55 PM
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:

I realize that.

No where in the thread did anyone say the wiring is not there. Todd said it was, and no one corrected it after that. So how do I know you guys know that?
got it. so i cant just pull the mirrors from the bases at the junkyard without hardwiring them in. another project for the future. i've had soooo many winter days where heated mirrors would have come in handy in the worst way.

No where in the thread did anyone say the wiring is not there. Todd said it was, and no one corrected it after that. So how do I know you guys know that?

Check the harness behind the mirror, if you have power mirrors. If there are 5 female pins on the connector coming out of the door, the mirrors will be plug and play. (Some 98's had the correct fuse, even though the manual says "NOT USED").
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/21/06 06:57 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Check the harness behind the mirror, if you have power mirrors. If there are 5 female pins on the connector coming out of the door, the mirrors will be plug and play. (Some 98's had the correct fuse, even though the manual says "NOT USED").

I checked mine a while back and only 3 wires are running into each mirror. My car was built April of 97.
U smell like poop though. Wait that's me. Nevermind.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/21/06 08:36 PM
Originally posted by todras:

I checked mine a while back and only 3 wires are running into each mirror. My car was built April of 97.

My early '97-built '98 has all 5 wires. I'm switchin' 'em out, and I really have NO use for heated mirrors in Texas! Still, I can say, "Nyah, nyah nyah, nyah, nyah, nyahhhhhh." hee hee hee
Posted By: Harrry Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/24/06 08:24 PM
Well looking at finding some. Was all contours 95-97 heated, or mystiques heated. I see posts on where it was mystiques only and very few contour pakaages.

SO far i am looking at 60 dollars for both including shipping.

--Harry
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Looking at getting the heated mirrors - 08/24/06 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Harrry:
.. Was all contours 95-97 heated, or mystiques heated. I see posts on where it was mystiques only and very few contour pakaages.

For 1996, it was a Preferred Equipment Package for all GL, LX and SE models.
And no, it doesn't say "Heated" on the glass like most other cars...

I know my 96GL had them... there would be ice on the mirror that would turn to little water droplets after a while with the rear defrost on.
© CEG Archives