Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Zabz Basics...... - 08/11/06 11:47 PM
Hi all....
I'm a 17 year old who just recieved a 1995 Contour Lx and i want fix it up...Im not sure what im getting my self into or what im even looking for...I basically have $3500 as a budget and am looking to make it look and sound nice...I would like to give it some more power and give it a cool new look...If any one has any ideas please get back to me....

~Steve~ [Email]szpitcher10@verizon.net
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 12:14 AM
Which motor do you have? That makes a big difference.

I honestly think the SVT bodykit is the best looking bodykit out there. Youll have to mold the front fascia to your existing fascia which myself and others have done. The SVT side skirts and rear fascia will bolt up with a problem. Id finish it off with some 17" or 18" wheels. As for making it faster, I would do the 'basics' and open up the intake and exhaust. Again, depending on what engine you have, will bias MY opinion on what engine mods I would do.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 12:15 AM
Welcome Zabz .
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 12:17 AM
Welcome. Try searching in the forum and you'll get a lot of information. At the top of each forum, there are stickies which should be read, and will help you with the basics. You can also do a search in say (if your car has a 2.5) in duratech performance for "exhaust" or "intakes" or whatever regarding the engine. (same applies to the zetec forum)

Thats hsould keep ya busy for awhile. Remember when doing a search, be sure to mark "all posts" and not just the ones from the previous 7 days.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 01:33 AM
Welcome to the Club!

As mentioned we'd need to know your engine! Then we can send you in the right direction. Also atx or mtx would help too.

Oh just a heads up, search and read the FAQ! There alot to learn thats already been discussed many times. Of course its always good to ask questions!

Since you have a 1995, you could do as mentioned above and put a SVT kit on. Or you could do a complete 98+ Front End swap. It will make your car look newer and you can get the front SVT bumper without alot of the work.

Basic entry engine upgrades would be new/better plugs and wires. An intake. Exahust. Header(s) depending on motor.

Another nice new member hint is to use photobucket.com to post pictures!

Good luck!
Posted By: Zabz Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 02:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry I forgot to give you the stats.
1995 Contour LX. 63000 mi.
2.5 Duratech
5 spd. trans.
Green paint that is horrible shape. He doesn't wash and wax very often, but gets regular maintainance.
Everything on this car is stock except for the Blaupunkt head unit.

My uncle gave me this car because he bought a new one.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 02:58 AM
that sound like a good start, and do everything work well on the car ?
Posted By: m4gician Re: Basics...... - 08/12/06 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Zabz:
Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry I forgot to give you the stats.
1995 Contour LX. 63000 mi.
2.5 Duratech
5 spd. trans.
Green paint that is horrible shape. He doesn't wash and wax very often, but gets regular maintainance.
Everything on this car is stock except for the Blaupunkt head unit.

My uncle gave me this car because he bought a new one.

WELCOME TO CEG you're going to find this is a great resource for all of this. Some places to start looking would be:
Duratec maintenence: read the 'read first' sticky
Duratec performance: read the 'bolt on basics' sticky
Aesthetics: Read the 'read first, and electronic aesthetics' stick.

Also search for 'cheap mod' in the GENERAL mods forum for a list of CHEAP and easy to DIY mods.

One more thing, a lot of the problems that this car may have or is going to have, are already common and detailed either on the main page or through the trouble shooting forums.

One last point, junk yards are an EXCELLENT source of parts, especially for aesthetics, but also for trouble shooting. Enjoy and welcome once again.
Posted By: rouar Re: Basics...... - 08/13/06 01:43 PM

Fixing swirls from paint (from a green Mystique at that!)

Sounds like you found a diamond in the rough if it was cared for! That's ridiculously low mileage for a 1995, and a V6/MTX too!
Posted By: r_u_stuck2 Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 12:54 AM
Change the water pump now.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 05:07 AM
Originally posted by r_u_stuck2:

Pfft, I wouldn't replace it now if its working fine. My svt had 80k on it and my water pump was working fine. I replaced mine just because its a little reassurance for my new 3l.
Posted By: SvtTour98.5-3 Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 08:29 AM
Originally posted by r_u_stuck2:

My 95 water pump made it to 110,xxx before letting loose. I was surprised to say the least.
Posted By: r_u_stuck2 Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 12:58 PM
Mine made it 52K and broke on the interstate.

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=9
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 01:52 PM
For a '95, change the waterpump, take a CLOSE look at all the underhood wiring (and cross your fingers) to see if the insulation on the wires all looks intact and good, and then if that's all OK, I'd start out by getting new rims & tires (16" SVT takeoffs at a minimum), and then save up and/or spring for a BAT or Koni suspension. That will make the biggest single noticeable difference in your car's performance, bringing it more in line with the pre-98 SEs or 98+ SVTs. As far as motor mods are concerned, you're going to be kind of limited to simple intake stuff (optimized throttle body, cold air intake) and exhaust from the cat-back only, because apparently 1995 years have unique exhaust manifolds, so that aftermarket headers won't work. On the other hand, you've got the best differential, the best lower control arms, and the best transmission (rod shifter!), not to mention one of the best interiors. My '95LX interior was really nice.

So, focus on handling and keeping your existing engine healthy, and I think you'll be very happy overall.
Posted By: Zabz Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 08:22 PM
OK ive been doing some research and heres a list ive come up with...Now keep in my mind im 17 and want this car to look good to...a G3 Body kit...a dual exhaust from trubendz.com....a Y-pipe/Headers from MSDSINC.com....a fiberglass hood from andysautosport.com....and also from the same place a paintable bomber wing...and i will also be getting it painted a electric lime green...Has there been any complaints about these porducts....i mean i wanna this care to look nice...if there are any plz let me know ASAP...thanx so much...

~steve~
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 08:44 PM
If you want a nice looking car...dont buy the body kit, dont buy any wing, DONT paint it lime green! Thats the truth.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 09:05 PM
and i will also be getting it painted a electric lime green.

It's been done. Looked good too, IMO. I think you should pick a color no one has done yet.
Posted By: Zabz Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 09:12 PM
yea your right i need a different color...sorry dude but the kit and the wing looks hot...me and my dad researched it and were amazed it was a contour...i like it but its all opinion i just need some hot color to spice it up any suggestions....
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 09:18 PM
Lets see a pic...I'll give you my honest opinion, but I'm sure it looks like crap. Isn't that the kit with the terrible sideskirts that look like 2x4's?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 09:28 PM
You honestly think the G3 bodykit looks better than an SVT bodykit?

The G3 bodykit is pure rice imho. Its a honda bodykit slapped on a contour that doesnt share the same curves or personality.

I dont think there is one person that could call the SVT bodykit overdone, tasteless, or ricey. When I do up cars, I want them to look clean and tasteful. If there is any doubt in my mind that people will rag on mods that i do, I dont do them.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 10:08 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
You honestly think the G3 bodykit looks better than an SVT bodykit?

The G3 bodykit is pure rice imho. Its a honda bodykit slapped on a contour that doesnt share the same curves or personality.

I dont think there is one person that could call the SVT bodykit overdone, tasteless, or ricey. When I do up cars, I want them to look clean and tasteful. If there is any doubt in my mind that people will rag on mods that i do, I dont do them.

For the love of all that is holy....stop showing us pics of your car!!!! :sob: Mine looks so PLAIN, and has so much left to be done. I'm reminded of this every time I see your car.

:sniff: ok....pull it together. :sigh:

Definitely the best pre-98 ever, and one of the best looking of all the years. Pure hotness as always!
Posted By: Tourige Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 10:11 PM
yea your right i need a different color...sorry dude but the kit and the wing looks hot...me and my dad researched it and were amazed it was a contour...i like it but its all opinion i just need some hot color to spice it up any suggestions....

Someone save this ricer before he ruins a contour.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 10:11 PM
Yea I agree. That is one of the nicest tours on the site. Mostly because of maintenance...the body/paint look so clean and the svt kit looks great on it. Very clean car.
Posted By: Zabz Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 10:49 PM
Ok guys i have a question....If you guys are so concerned about the way mine will look why dont half of you own your contours any more...all of the cars i see writen out are others...and ok soo you guys dont like the body kit...i dislike the SVT body kit...and i HATE IMPORTS!!!! IM 17 and want a hot looking car that looks different...i have yet to see a contour with this body style im looking for in my area...my car will not look like an import...Im pure american muscle...my dream car is an 78 corvette...and my parents own an 86 which im in pure love with...im actually in the process of restoring a 71 mach 1 mustang...and i take great offence to the imports thinking they can smoke it...soo my car will never look like an import...it will look young and new...
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 10:56 PM
dont do the CB hood and the wing and get a koni sport kit and nice wheel
Posted By: Zabz Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 11:04 PM
OK and i was also told the SVT kit will bolt up to my car in the rear and sides...but the front needs to be moded...What exactly would i need to do...i have a 95 LX....
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 11:21 PM
Ok guys i have a question....If you guys are so concerned about the way mine will look why dont half of you own your contours any more...all of the cars i see writen out are others...and ok soo you guys dont like the body kit...i dislike the SVT body kit...and i HATE IMPORTS!!!! IM 17 and want a hot looking car that looks different...i have yet to see a contour with this body style im looking for in my area...my car will not look like an import...Im pure american muscle...my dream car is an 78 corvette...and my parents own an 86 which im in pure love with...im actually in the process of restoring a 71 mach 1 mustang...and i take great offence to the imports thinking they can smoke it...soo my car will never look like an import...it will look young and new...

Gotcha...(and i personally think vettes are puwey, I only like the new ones)

Anywas, you say you hate ricers and such, but if you threw that body kit and giant wing on, then you would be doing the same thing that most of them do...throw some pos kit on that follows no lines of the car and makes it look like something out of fast and the furious. The svt kit is sleek and nice, goes well with the car and isn't all agressive...and doesn't get the wrong attention. I believe the front needs to be molded. I can't remember who al exactly but a few guys have done it here, and I believe there are a bunch of picturesin a thread of someones with them showing different stages of the molding...The way I understood it to be is...the top half of the pre-98 bumper molded to the bottom half of the svt's bumber. (imagine a line in the middle of the bumper, top to bottom) They come out nice. Then if the svt fron isn't nice enough for you, throw a mirko on as well.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 11:27 PM

Thats fine. We're just trying to give you advice as to what the majority likes around here as well as the general public. If I bought the G3 bodykit and put it on my car, people would probably think I was 17 too because those kind of bodykits are generally what the younger crowd buys. Id say about 90% or more of the members here, young and old would consider that bodykit rice, expecially that horrid rear fascia with two huge square cutouts for mufflers. Yes, square! I dont understand, you dont like rice, but yet your conforming to what they buy? This kit is almost identical to the R34 bodykit which is made for virtually every import known to man.

I know im being a bit critical. I'm honestly just trying to give you helpful criticism so that your not kicking yourself in the butt a few years from now when you realize your car is turning heads for the wrong reasons. Then again, its not my car and you have the right to do whatever you like. Its your car, so enjoy it.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Basics...... - 08/14/06 11:49 PM
OK and i was also told the SVT kit will bolt up to my car in the rear and sides...but the front needs to be moded...What exactly would i need to do...i have a 95 LX....

The short answer is cut both bumpers in half horizontally in the same place. Take the upper half from your car, the lower half from the SVT, plastic weld them together, reinforce the joint w/ fiberglass, bondo, paint, install.

It's a lot of work though.

As far as the kit goes, I think the best looking non-SVT kit is Andy's Auto Sport. But just the front bumper. The skirts look like big 2x4 pieces of sh!t. I can't remember what the rear AAS bumper looks like. The AAS front bumper is nice and deep, and doesn't have all the crazy ricer styling. You'd have to do the cut and mold steps with the AAS kit too, as I think it only came for the 98+.

If you're set on having a wing, then get a nice fiberglass wing with supports you can paint body color. Nothing looks tackier (IMO) than a big black wing (unless the car is black) with open strut-style supports.

Just remember as you mod it, the car is called a "Contour", it's not a blocky square Element or xB. Keep that in mind, try and keep your mods relevant to the car's styling, and you'll be golden.
© CEG Archives