Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Damien_dup1 Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/28/06 03:47 AM
Greetings all,
I just got my 99 contour SE and have bewen going through fixing all the things that have been neglected by the previous owners(cloudy headlights, broken clock spring, mis wired gauges, bad door speaker, etc.), and have also discovered many of the mods done(replaced bulbs with led's in every possible place, foglight / parking light mod, bat sport spring kit, short ram cold air intake, etc.). When I first got the car, I could open the sunroof, turn the car off and it would stay open. A few days later, I went through and replaced any burnt out fuses, and put good backup fuses in the slots that are "unused". Now when I have the sun roof open in any position, and turn off the car it closes. Is there a way to make it so it will just stay open like it did before? Thanks for any response and also thanks to all of you for the help I have gotten so far by reading through your posts.
Posted By: EuroTour Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/28/06 04:04 AM
This a bad thing?! I wish mine would do that. I'm pretty sure that most everybodys will stay open once the car is turned off. Ohh wait, maybe I know from experience because thats how they stole my stereo!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/28/06 04:09 AM
Welcome Damien . Try removing the fuses in the previously "unused" spots one by one.
Maybe it was another one of the previous owners modifications. This guy went hog wild on this thing... dynamat in every door, hood liner removed, under pulley, port polished uim, blue paint all over the place on inside body panels, pre 98 center console swap... if only he would have done the svt bumper cover / sideskirt swap... I want them. I'll take the advice and maybe just keep it the way it is... already had head unit, memphis st-1000d amplifies and 2 jl 13w7's stolen from my celica this winter so I know the thieves are lurking nasty. Thanks for the reality check!
Originally posted by YaaaarrroTour:
This a bad thing?! I wish mine would do that.

Ya really.

I can't even remember the number of times i've parked my car in downtown Detroit in a parking structure...walked 3 or 4 blocks then had to walk back to the parking structure to check if i closed the sunroof. I rarely forget..but this would be a cool mod!
so what fuse locations did you put a fuse in to make this happen?

All that I can think of is someone installed the sunrrof control board that allows you to control the sunroof from the keyless entry remote, iirc when Elky was putting a battery in his car the sunroof would start to open when the battery was connected

or someone used a hightower one touch relay to control the sunroof like this ...
Posted By: ElKy Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/28/06 11:47 AM
my sunroof opens whe you hook up the battery because i installed a one-touch thingy.
i can also open or close my sunroof with my key fob.
I put a 30amp fuse in every fuse spot that said "not used" in the owners manual. It has an after market alarm, so they must have wired some of it's functions to the stock fuse panel. It does some other things too... like starter kil, trunkm open... the usual alarm stuff. I can't seem to control the sun roof with the iirc though.
Oh, one more thing that might be worth mentioning. The swith for the sunroof is lighted up... I thought I read somewhere on here that the switches didn't light up.. maybe they threw in some extras when they did that.
Originally posted by Damien:
Oh, one more thing that might be worth mentioning. The swith for the sunroof is lighted up... I thought I read somewhere on here that the switches didn't light up.. maybe they threw in some extras when they did that.

when stock the sunroof switch doesn't light up, if you put in a 98+ switch and iirc ground the illumination terminial on the switch you can have a lighted switch. you can also use a pre98 switch but you need both power and ground for illumination
Originally posted by BrApple:

when stock the sunroof switch doesn't light up, if you put in a 98+ switch and iirc ground the illumination terminial on the switch you can have a lighted switch. you can also use a pre98 switch but you need both power and ground for illumination

That might be my problem. LOL! Wondered why it didn't work. Didn't realize they were different. I-DOM gave me one at a meet & didn't check to see what year it was out of.
Originally posted by todras:

That might be my problem. LOL! Wondered why it didn't work. Didn't realize they were different. I-DOM gave me one at a meet & didn't check to see what year it was out of.

for the pre98 this is the sunrook switch

note pin 4 and 5 are not used ...

this is the windows switch and as you can see pin 4 and 5 are for the illumintation

I just forget which one is positive and which on eis negative, iirc the one that you need for the post98 switch is a ground so that was pin 4
Originally posted by Damien:
... Now when I have the sun roof open in any position, and turn off the car it closes. Is there a way to make it so it will just stay open like it did before? ...

That sounds like you have an aftermarket moonroof. Does it say Webasto on the motor? The Contour's moonroof is not set up to do that by normal factory means.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/28/06 05:54 PM

Yeah, I just did mine over the weekend and mine would not light. I took a Pre-98 switch, installed my LED to match all my other switches and it didn't light. I figured it was a bad LED or w/e. Got all pissed of and didn't even remember I had a parts car in front of me. LOL

Grabbed that switch, changed the LED and installed it, works perfect now.
I followed Jenkins how to to do mine. Switched out the switch I had with a post 98. Still nothing.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/29/06 07:43 PM
I followed Jenkins how to to do mine. Switched out the switch I had with a post 98. Still nothing.

You didn't grab the wrong wire did you?

One of the wires should be on the 12 sec timer, which will only light with the door open.
Well I got the one that was in the same spot as he had. I'll have to check.
I just checked over my stuff and it seems legit to me. Took a wire out of a harness out one I had lying around and snapped it into the stock plug. Grabbed a post 98 switch and ran it to the black wire. Should be that hard.

Edit-Mine has 4 top and 3 bottom. What gives?
Posted By: DanburySE Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/30/06 03:42 AM
think this may have been a ford feature. a friend of mine with a mid 90s taurus has this feature in her car.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/30/06 03:54 AM
Todd, you deuche! That's a Pre-98 switch, not a Post-98.

Change it with a Post-98 and it will work fine now.
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

can always try one out of the back door to see if it works ... or just run a power wire to the other terminal

Well, I just realized the one I have in there now is the post 98. The one I took a pic of is the pre that Kev gave me. It's still not working.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 06/30/06 01:39 PM

Well, I just realized the one I have in there now is the post 98. The one I took a pic of is the pre that Kev gave me. It's still not working.

I dunno, I give up.
Guess I need to look at the one I have in there and take a pic. I'm going to get this damn thing going this w/e!
Todd...See if the switch works in one of the doors. Quite a few of the switches we grabbed from the junkyard didnt light up.

As far as the moonroof for the original poster, since you have a SE, I'll bet $1.50 it's aftermarket.

Theres a way to program the buttons to set which buttons open and close it. Griselda has a Moonroof just like yours on the Focus, I'll check out the manual for it this weekend....

Steve
I previously owned a 1999 SE Sport with a factory power moonroof. I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that the car's moonroof didn't close after the car was turned off. So there are two possibilities. One is that your moonroof is aftermarket. Two is sometimes Ford gets random parts and things like that happen. My grandma had 2 different 1997 Lincoln Continentals that were built 1 month apart. The one built in January had a one touch open factory sunroof. It didn't one touch or auto close. The one built in March also had a factory sunroof. It had one touch open, one touch close, and it closed the roof after ignition off. Another 1997 we test drove with a factory sunroof built in June worked the same way as the one my grandmother had that was built in January.
Take a pic of the buttons or describe them, I betcha that $1.50 it's aftermarket.

I know the MI guys won't take my bets, cause I'll take thier lunch money again!!!
Uh...there's an ASC button on the left of mine that illuminates red when its "active" and isnt illuminated and "inactive" when it isnt. When its red and "active" it keeps the moonroof open or whatever position you have it in when the car is on or off. When it isnt illuminated and "inactive" it will close the moonroof from whatever position it is in when the car is turned off. I dont know if that helps or if that was the first thing looked at and not worth mentioning. Just throwing in what little I know.
Posted By: EuroTour Re: Want to change what the sunroof does. - 07/01/06 10:40 PM
Originally posted by DarthMuppet:
Uh...there's an ASC button on the left of mine that illuminates red when its "active" and isnt illuminated and "inactive" when it isnt. When its red and "active" it keeps the moonroof open or whatever position you have it in when the car is on or off. When it isnt illuminated and "inactive" it will close the moonroof from whatever position it is in when the car is turned off. I dont know if that helps or if that was the first thing looked at and not worth mentioning. Just throwing in what little I know.

You definitely have an aftermarket sunroof my friend.
Ya'll owe me a buck fiddy!
Wow, I see that now that I looked at a silver one in Encinitas. I didnt realize the guy I bought it from did that.
Originally posted by Bk4293:
Ya'll owe me a buck fiddy!

I betchyoo tree fiddy you can't eat it all!
© CEG Archives