Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
hi has anyone put a receiver hitch on their tour? if so where can i get one cheap? im gonna be moving and have a 4x8 trailer like the one from harbor freight i wanna get one that just bolts on i dont have to do any welding. i know its a contour but it's all i got now. let me know thanks.
This question is asked about 4 times a month. Just search for hitch, you'll find all the info you need.
i know i can but im looking for one that bolts on. my next step is to go over to u-haul and see if the got one for my car.
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
i know i can but im looking for one that bolts on. my next step is to go over to u-haul and see if the got one for my car.

got enough threads on this, search on it

most hitches now adays bolt on ....
I have a Hidden Hitch taht bolts on. Its a decent hitch, but I don't believe it was easy at all to put on. But its out there.
Since it doesn't seem like you are searching, I did it for you.

Contour hitch

Since the hitch fits the SVT with a small notch in the bumper, it will fit any other model Contour or Mystique with no modifications.
Poor contour Gte a $400 truck for hauling stuff, and leave that contour alone!!
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

Contour hitch

Since the hitch fits the SVT with a small notch in the bumper, it will fit any other model Contour or Mystique with no modifications.

oh im sorry guess i didnt search good enough.
ITs a contour not a D@mn pick-up. Why the hell would you want to put that on a contour . Thats just like when i saw this guys integra with a trailer hitch i wanted to slap his dumb @ss. I got an . Stop being cheap and go find a cheap @ss truck. And save the Contour's tranny
Maybe I should post some pics of mine with the airplane on the trailer, or the motocycle on the trailer, or the big azz trailer I moved my house with. Oh and original tranny AND clutch at 138,000 and it ain't babyed, baby!

Jim T.
if you wanna see bad. I saw a evo 8 with a large trailer fully loaded with a cargo hauler on top of the car on the NJ GSP back in may. I wanted to pull his butt over and take his car away from him. I do believe sports cars and tours NEVER SHOULD HAVE TRAILERS OR CARGO PODS ON THE ROOF.
you guys need to lighten up. I'm sorry but i like the idea of a clean a$$ bike behind a clean a$$ SVT but thats just my two cents. if any one that suggested buy a cheap truck can find one for the price of the hitch i'll buy 4 of them
Originally posted by excel4600c:
ITs a contour not a D@mn pick-up. Why the hell would you want to put that on a contour . Thats just like when i saw this guys integra with a trailer hitch i wanted to slap his dumb @ss. I got an . Stop being cheap and go find a cheap @ss truck. And save the Contour's tranny

i aint being cheap. trailer only weighs 200 pounds. i bet u wanna slap me know

Make sure you pull me over if you see my silver SE towing a silver Triumph Sprint. That is providing you can even keep up. It sounds like you drive it like it's a garage queen?

Jim T.
LOL sounds like he is. my damn car if i wanna put a hitch i'll put a hitch.
Originally posted by jthursby:

Make sure you pull me over if you see my silver SE towing a silver Triumph Sprint. That is providing you can even keep up. It sounds like you drive it like it's a garage queen?

Jim T.

2 cents... and Im not saying dont put a hitch on your car.

My car is driven the way it should be, taken to the strip, often taken to redline, and rips through the corners... But I would still NEVER put a hitch on my SVT. I'd definetely figure out another route.

But like I said, i'm not saying not to. They dont look thatttttttttttt bad.
Originally posted by RawBurt...:
Originally posted by jthursby:

Jim T.

2 cents... and Im not saying dont put a hitch on your car.

My car is driven the way it should be, taken to the strip, often taken to redline, and rips through the corners... But I would still NEVER put a hitch on my SVT. I'd definetely figure out another route.

But like I said, i'm not saying not to. They dont look thatttttttttttt bad.

I understand fully Burt. What gets me is the "it's a damn SVT, treat it like gold!" dimwits. It's not a Lambo for gods sake, it's a six year old (minimum) front wheel drive, four door sedan. Hell I might buy an SVT to cut up for the V8 project instead of using my precious, undinged, not repainted, I bought it new with 37 miles, SE Sport. I understand the purist attitude, but I just don't care! In 20 years do you honestly think there will be a resto shop that specializes in Contours? Not a flippin' chance. Unlike some of the guys here,
(not all) I'm older and I've seen many cars and trends come and go. With the exception of a devout few of us with the money, knowledge, and time, these cars for the most part, WILL die off. So save them if you can, but don't tell me how to save mine!

Jim T

Contour hitch

For craps sake, can somebody put this link in a sticky so that people don't cut holes in their bumper?

http://www.rigidhitch.com/pages/pdfs/PAGE-21-24.pdf

It works like a charm with a HF trailer, that's how I trailered tires and tools to events when I autocrossed it. Now I tow it behind a Miata. If a 110 WHP Miata can tow the thing, I know for damn sure that a CSVT can.

When that pic (and the rest in my registry do) you can see it fully sized. Notice the lack of any holes cut.
Once your hitch is on you can always do what I did with my 92 Tarus. Rent a 5x10 enclosed from Uhaul fill it up with dressers and bed stuff then tow it from Camp Pendleton 2 San Diego. There is a hill that doesn't look like much but I only made it about half way up before I go no more. It took a tow strap and an Intrepide to get me up the hill. Between the 2 of us we were able to get up the hill.
That's not the hitch's fault, that's operator error.
Originally posted by weargle:
That's not the hitch's fault, that's operator error.

x2
Originally posted by weargle:

Contour hitch

For craps sake, can somebody put this link in a sticky so that people don't cut holes in their bumper?

http://www.rigidhitch.com/pages/pdfs/PAGE-21-24.pdf

It works like a charm with a HF trailer, that's how I trailered tires and tools to events when I autocrossed it. Now I tow it behind a Miata. If a 110 WHP Miata can tow the thing, I know for damn sure that a CSVT can.

When that pic (and the rest in my registry do) you can see it fully sized. Notice the lack of any holes cut.

Trust me. I would of never cut a notch in my bumper. The original owner of my car installed the hitch and did that. Good to know theres one that fits much better.

Also, do you have any better pictures? I can't see any details in that small picture.
a friend of my family used to tow his quad with a 1983 Firebird!
the quad on the trailer was about 3 feet above the roof of the car!
hi has anyone put a receiver hitch on their tour? if so where can i get one cheap? im gonna be moving and have a 4x8 trailer like the one from harbor freight i wanna get one that just bolts on i dont have to do any welding. i know its a contour but it's all i got now. let me know thanks.

I have that exact trailer. They are a PIA to put together, but they are a hell of a bargain. I'm thinking of buying them, putting them together, and selling them on my front lawn. You can't beat 'em!!
I'd rather put on a hitch receiver and use that to hold a bike mount than strap on one of those mounts that props up against your trunk and bumper. A bike mount on a hitch doesn't run the risk of scratching up your finish.
hi has anyone put a receiver hitch on their tour? if so where can i get one cheap? im gonna be moving and have a 4x8 trailer like the one from harbor freight

How far are you moving? If you plan on moving everything you have with that small trailer, I'm assuming you don't have a lot to move, or you're planning on making a few trips. You don't have ANY friends with a truck that can help you out? Why not rent a U-haul? You can usually rent a good sized U-haul for the day, make one big trip, and it'll cost ~$60-$70 tops after mileage. I don't know what a hitch costs, but it has to be more than renting a truck.

Mark
© CEG Archives