Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Chrisf695 heatsheild help - 06/19/06 04:05 AM
I need some help on building a heatshield, and what material i should use, or if i really need one to begin with. i currently have the ru-3530 with bat mtf adaptor. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 04:11 AM
sheet metal will work. Many people use a garbage can or possibly even a rubbermade container...but yea, they are made of dif materials. just ty and seal it off to the engine best you can.
Posted By: Tourige Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 02:13 PM
Garbage can FTW
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 07:13 PM
I used aluminum from home depot. Very easy to work with and cut. A Sheet like the one I got was about $11 plus $1 for the pip insulation.

Posted By: hotdimmes Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 07:36 PM
Isn't aluminum a good conductor of heat? Wouldn't you want the heat shield to be some sort of insulator?
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 07:44 PM
All I know about aluminum besides the basic facts is that it dissapates heat very quickley. If you take amuminum foil out of an oven, it doesn't stay hot for very long. I don't know if this is good or bad for a heatsheild but it does keep out the hot air. honestly, I did it more for asthetics (even though my particular example is not that sexy) The difference between heat sheild and no heat sheild is negligable. it won't shave any time off your 1/4 mile nor will you notice it in day to day driving.
Posted By: Tourige Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
The difference between heat sheild and no heat sheild is negligable. it won't shave any time off your 1/4 mile nor will you notice it in day to day driving.

wrong, I agree about the 1/4 mile, but day to day driving you can definatly feel the heatsoak with an open element filter, it gets really bad. I know since i put my heatshield on ive gotten 0 Heatsoak, even this weekend during the tracking of my car, 0 heatsoak.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 07:56 PM
I guess I should have test drove 10 different SVTs with heat sheilds and no heat sheilds before I posted. From my personal experience, I did not notice any sort of difference besides the way it looks and maybe a slight difference in sound. I also don't have a Heat Soak-O-Meter like you apparently do.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 09:09 PM
Heat soak o meter Its called being in tune with the car. Its not hard to feel when the car is being a dog.

Maybe you just dont drive hard and thats why the difference felt negligable to you... Or the heatsheild was a [censored] design.

Ive been 95% heatsoak free since the fabrication of my heatsheild.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 09:19 PM
I guess they way I was looking at it is if heat is coming towards the aluminum heat shield, the aluminum will transfer the heat to it's other side efficiently, towards the air filter.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 09:19 PM
Here's my setup...
Rubbermaid bin, foam insulation and a sheet in dynamat that i got from work in the inside... cost me about 7$ overall...

Posted By: Tourgasm Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 10:11 PM
What's your heatsoak reading svt3?

I rented a heat soak-O-Meter from Autozone and got a reading of 2 cause of my [censored] heat sheild design.
Posted By: Tourige Re: heatsheild help - 06/19/06 10:28 PM
I guess I should have test drove 10 different SVTs with heat sheilds and no heat sheilds before I posted. From my personal experience, I did not notice any sort of difference besides the way it looks and maybe a slight difference in sound. I also don't have a Heat Soak-O-Meter like you apparently do.

The Easiest way to tell is the Sound changes.
Posted By: Chrisf695 Re: heatsheild help - 06/20/06 02:54 AM
i cant tell if theres any more power increase, but it sounds really freckin sweet. I still not sure on the heat sheild yet. Just trying to get some ideas first. I dont drive the car very much, maybe like once a week. I like having the low miles on it. 62k. but i still want more pics if possible.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: heatsheild help - 06/20/06 04:42 PM
What's your heatsoak reading svt3?

I rented a heat soak-O-Meter from Autozone and got a reading of 2 cause of my [censored] heat sheild design.

my temp never went over half the temp meter... and didnt see any change with this setup compare to the stock svt intake... never try without the heatshield but i wanted to be save.

sorry i dont have a heat soak-o-meter
© CEG Archives