Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres underhood insulation - 05/09/06 01:42 PM
ok yesterday i decided to removed the ugly underhood insulation cause i find it ugly and i saw many people who removed it here.

my dad told me that i saw a lot of case on older car that removing the insulation cause the paint to crack on the other side of the hood.

just wondering what the chance of that happening and if it safe to let it removed ??
Posted By: RawBurt Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 01:48 PM
Enjoy it removed. You have nothing to worry about.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 01:48 PM
well my 99 never had the hood lining and I see no evidence of paint cracking from heat
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 01:54 PM
3+ years now...no paint cracking...
Posted By: getsum111 Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 01:58 PM
1.5 years for me. FWIW, I don't think I-4s or V-6's put out that much heat, compared to the older V-8's.
Posted By: jtour Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 01:59 PM
I have had my 99 tour since 99 and no signs of paint getting messed up. Go for it!

Posted By: rouar Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 02:09 PM
Sometime around 1998.5 the hood liner was decontented, according to the main site FAQ. I'm actually surprised your Contour had one to begin with - mine didn't and it was several months older than yours.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Rouar:
Sometime around 1998.5 the hood liner was decontented, according to the main site FAQ. I'm actually surprised your Contour had one to begin with - mine didn't and it was several months older than yours.

My 99 had one....
Posted By: KyleH Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 03:30 PM

My '99 SVT has one...but my brothers 98.5 SE doesn't
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 04:10 PM
00 SVT had one
Posted By: Knip Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 04:29 PM
My 98 has one... ...thinking about removing it though.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 04:49 PM
I dont think any of the cougars had them [I know mine didnt] and I have never heard a complaint
Posted By: GreaseyMonkey Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 04:57 PM
sounds like the plant workers forgot about them from time to time...
Posted By: G Stone Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 05:20 PM
My question is why would you remove it? I heard it makes the car a lot more noisy without it.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 05:21 PM
But if you have a K&N, it's a good noise!
Posted By: Tourige Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 05:27 PM
Originally posted by getsum111:
But if you have a K&N, it's a good noise!

+1

Plus the hoodliner traps in heat, which noone likes.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 07:24 PM
Keep in mind that the liner is there not only for noise insulation, but as a fire deterrent as well. The clips that hold it in place are designed to melt quickly, allowing the liner to fall down on the engine and smother a fire.

That being said, mine didn't come with one either. I'm thinking of cutting some polished stainless steel and mounting it inside the underhood framework. Saw that on a car and it looked REALLY nice!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 08:02 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
The clips that hold it in place are designed to melt quickly, allowing the liner to fall down on the engine and smother a fire.

Don't you think the fire will get more than enough air from under the engine compartment to sustain itself?...i do....
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 10:02 PM

I was told that it became an option... Kind of like that stupid trunk light option.. I cannot believe they would charge an extra $60-80 on the retail price to poorly light the trunk... If it were me I would just buy a dollar store flashlight and leave it in the trunk.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: underhood insulation - 05/09/06 10:02 PM
Originally posted by pole120:
The clips that hold it in place are designed to melt quickly, allowing the liner to fall down on the engine and smother a fire.

Don't you think the fire will get more than enough air from under the engine compartment to sustain itself?...i do....

depends on what part of the engine has caught fire. If it's something electrical on the top of the engine, then it would probably smother. If it was from underneath, then no it wouldn't smother.
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 12:25 AM
I have been a firefighter for 14yrs and seen many car fires, I wouldn't have too much faith on your hoodliner saving your ride.

Most cars don't come with them anymore, my explorer, sable and my old sho didn't have it either. They hold dirt and once they get ratty looking then it looks like garbage under the hood.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 03:29 AM
Keep in mind that the liner is there not only for noise insulation, but as a fire deterrent as well. The clips that hold it in place are designed to melt quickly, allowing the liner to fall down on the engine and smother a fire.

That being said, mine didn't come with one either. I'm thinking of cutting some polished stainless steel and mounting it inside the underhood framework. Saw that on a car and it looked REALLY nice!

As someone that has repaired many fire damaged cars during my years as a dealership tech I can say without hesitation that the hood pad does nothing to put out or reduce underhood fire damage. It might protect the upper surface of the hood if there is an underhood fire, but I'm sure that it is an unplanned benefit.

The whole reason for the hood liner is to cut noise.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 03:32 AM
wow lots of post hehe, ok i guest i will let it removed and but it somewhere in my basement, its really look much nicer.. .as for the sound, my front wheel bearing is not fix yet so im hearing just the stupid bearing for now so i havent noticed more nice k&n sound yet.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 07:25 AM
I'm thinking of cutting some polished stainless steel and mounting it inside the underhood framework. Saw that on a car and it looked REALLY nice!

You're talking about this right?
I've been wanting to do the same but I don't have enough engine bling to warrant it
Posted By: jtour Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 01:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Tourige Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 02:11 PM
Originally posted by jtour:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

minus the zetec
Posted By: Reebs Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

minus the zetec

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 05:12 PM
Originally posted by G Stone:
My question is why would you remove it? I heard it makes the car a lot more noisy without it.

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 05:13 PM

Posted By: hotdimmes Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 07:01 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

minus the zetec

There's plenty of zetec's in the world that can keep up with a duratec
Posted By: Harrry Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 07:42 PM
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

minus the zetec

There's plenty of zetec's in the world that can keep up with a duratec

in stock form?? like what zetec????
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 07:46 PM
mtx zetec vs atx duratec, or a stock svt focus zetec
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 08:03 PM
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
I'm thinking of cutting some polished stainless steel and mounting it inside the underhood framework. Saw that on a car and it looked REALLY nice!

You will need to put the hoods contours in to the pieces to make them fit. That might be a little tricky
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 09:16 PM
Maybe some sort of chrome-ish colored vinyl would work better?
Posted By: Harrry Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 10:08 PM
clarify what you mean by keep up..

If u mean duratec do u mean any duratech, 3.5liter??
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: underhood insulation - 05/10/06 10:40 PM
It doesn't really matter...I just didn't think it was necessary to reference the fact that the car has a zetec and then state that it takes away from the car overall. I'm sorry I commented since this is not even close to an engine vs engine thread.
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: underhood insulation - 05/14/06 01:11 PM
Pull the hood liner and the rubber gasket along the cowl/hood line, then watch the heat pour out at traffic lights.
© CEG Archives