Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ellmers95 What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 02:28 PM
Ok guys laugh if you want. I am about to start doing the most challenging thing I ever dreamed of doing. I am gonna take my 95 Contour and make it into a rear wheel drive car with a 5.0 under the hood and keep it as stock looking as possible. I have alot of work ahead of me and will be taking pics of the project as I go along in it. I have the big game plan made out and have ideas to what I am gonna start doing to achieve this. I do wonder however what I am getting myself into doing this lol BUT what the h*ll right? If it works out as planned I will have a car that looks stock but will take on almost anything thrown at it and ask for seconds. It will be a street strip car! No it will not have a tubbed out rear end and have monster slicks, but I will be able to fit the pro 10.5 slick on her when I do race it. Look forward to pics hopefully in the next few months as I start into this big long time consumming project.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 02:30 PM
I hope you have a lot of money. Good luck.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Pete 6.0:
I hope you have a lot of money. Good luck.

agreed. and you'll end up with a car worth 20% of what you put into it.

but, whatever blows your skirt up!

good luck!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 02:33 PM
Congrats, i'm excited for you. Get ready for some hellacious comments.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 02:53 PM
Oh I am sure I will get degraded by alot of people for doing it. I am not looking to get into a magazine or to sell for money. This is all for me and my personal interest. Also to have a dam good time driving it when it is done. It WILL NOT look like a ricer in any way. It is gonna retain the contour image in every way and will look like its a stock Contour except for the wheels being after market and maybe a SVT body kit. The only real differenc will be under the hood and car itself. I cannot wait till its done! I have alot of beer drinking and cussin and bleeding to be doing soon lol.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 03:13 PM
I'll sell you an SVT body kit...
Posted By: Steeda. Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 03:46 PM
whats your plans with the steering rack?
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 03:50 PM
I have one of two options. Try to retain what I have ( which I do not think will wrok since its so low.) Or try to fab one frmo a fox body mustang. I have another idea for the front end as well but need to measure some thing out as well. I am thinking about ordering the fox body front clip aftermarket that they sell fro street rods and fabing that into the car as well. That would solve all my issues.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 03:55 PM

Oh and good luck.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 04:03 PM
The project is just at the begining point of stripping the car down as of now. I will take before pics. I will be taking pics as I go and posting then as I go. It will be a few years before its done but in the long run it will be finish and running and FAST!! I have two engine choices I am looking at and that depends on how much room I have. It will be fun indeed. Lots of cutting, welding, swearing, beer, late nights, and sleeping on the couch lol.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 04:28 PM
Just strengthen a contour body and then cut it off and graft it onto a fox, that would probably end up being easier!

Check the SN65 thread in SVTP where they grafted a 65 shell onto an 03/04 cobra 'frame'
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 04:28 PM
Good luck, I guess.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Good luck, I guess.

Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/19/06 05:52 PM
LOL you guys are funny. And yes I have thought about doing that as well since there are so many fox body mustngs around. I just need to find away to life the body up to swap chassis's around thats all.
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 12:20 PM
On sports car revolution shawn hyland is making a rear drive v8 focus. Looks like lots of work and big money. tons of custom brackets, etc. They had to cut out the floor to install a tranny tunnel and rework the fire wall. I'm not saying it can't be done but the average person may find this a huge challenge, consider how many years he has been working on custom race cars.

I wish you luck on your project. Making it road worthy and safe is going to be the biggest issue.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ellmers95:
LOL you guys are funny. And yes I have thought about doing that as well since there are so many fox body mustngs around. I just need to find away to life the body up to swap chassis's around thats all.

If you know how to weld, you can stick a V-8 in just about anything.

Granted, you might have less interior room when you're done, but who cares? Spare tire well? Who needs it? Fuel tank? Gone! (Replace with fuel cell.)

I've seen a lot of wicked engine swaps that I never could have imagined. Nevermind the bollocks. I hope you are serious and I wish you the best of luck. I look forward to pictures.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 05:19 PM
Serious indeed. I have it all planned out and I have myself and a couple of buddies that know how to weld PLUS a cousing who builds roll cages for his race car so I am not too worries at all about making it work. My ideas are comming togeather and being narrowed down to how I am gonna approach it. The car itself is getting stripped down right now and will have nothing left under it in a few weeks lol. Now I gotta find a place to keep the spare parts for my mercury mystique lol. Fuel cell YUP, less interior?? maybe not, tight engine compartment most likely BUT its all in the fun and part of the game!!! I hope to tear up the 1320 when I am done with it. Show those ricers what NEW american muscle really is lol.
Posted By: jtour Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Just strengthen a contour body and then cut it off and graft it onto a fox, that would probably end up being easier!

Check the SN65 thread in SVTP where they grafted a 65 shell onto an 03/04 cobra 'frame'

Thats what I would do.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm good luck!

Post pics!!!

Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 07:50 PM
Good luck! I would like to see it happen, even though I'm nervous that you will run into MANY problems.

Keep us updated, and document it all the way with photos.

Good luck !
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 07:52 PM
Well it just wouldnt be working on cars if there was no problems that developed along the way lol. That would break Murphy's law. I expect problems to come up, I do plan on documenting this project as best as I can as I will want it for myself as well. Thanks for the luck as well.
Posted By: Stazi Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Decepticon:
whats your plans with the steering rack?

Use ropes like a soapbox car!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 08:07 PM
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 08:28 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:
Keep us updated, and document it all the way with photos.
Good luck !

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 08:55 PM
Fuel cell YUP, less interior?? maybe not, tight engine compartment most likely BUT its all in the fun and part of the game!!!

Yeah, I'm thinking you'll have to enlarge the tunnel at the least, but I'm no expert. I've also seen swaps where the firewall had to be, uh, refabricated. Hope you won't have to go there.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 09:58 PM
Well I decided on two engine choices and that is depending on the room I have and how this are going to fit. With a car that is under 3,000lbs it is not gonna take much to make it go. A 5.0 is my first priority though for the engine choice. BUT I am not afraind to swap in a 3.8 SC out of a thunderbird or couger that got them. Yes my work is cut out for me but this has been a dream for a long time and I am gonna full fill this dream not matter what. Not even the old lady is taking this one from me.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/20/06 10:32 PM
Not even the old lady is taking this one from me.

Just make sure you don't let this one take the old lady from you! .....unless you'd rather get a new one.
Posted By: Speed Demons_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 05:26 PM
I like how this is posted in the General Mods...
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 05:33 PM
you know that did not hit me until now...lol That is kinda funny. Definately not general lol lol
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 06:55 PM
Do we have a mega-mod section?
Posted By: Stazi Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 06:56 PM
I think this one should be moved to the Pipe-Dream section.
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 07:11 PM
LOL I see why you can say that BUT I reassure you it will get done no matter how long it takes. This has been my dream and I am gonna do it. But like I said I can see your guys point lol.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Speed Demons:

Can we convice the powers that be to create a 5.0 forum to complement the 3.0 forum?
Posted By: 99SEsport2K4 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 07:24 PM
Well I decided on two engine choices and that is depending on the room I have and how this are going to fit. With a car that is under 3,000lbs it is not gonna take much to make it go. A 5.0 is my first priority though for the engine choice. BUT I am not afraind to swap in a 3.8 SC out of a thunderbird or couger that got them. Yes my work is cut out for me but this has been a dream for a long time and I am gonna full fill this dream not matter what. Not even the old lady is taking this one from me.

Please don't ruin the car with that 3.8! If youre gonna go with a V6 then use 3L turbo or just stick to the 5.0
Posted By: stocksvtcontour Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 07:30 PM
If you are going to run a 5.0 at least make it a stroker. That would be nice
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 07:36 PM
Beat ya to it. I am planning on a 347 stroker from a 5.0 I am not gonna get a weak motor for this job. Its gonna go!!! I plan on running the 1320 with it when its done and drive it home afterwards lol. WILL BE a street strip car!!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/21/06 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Speed Demons:

Doesn't really fall under Duratec Performance.

Mark
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/23/06 10:52 PM
Saw a late model Mustang at the track yesterday... 5.0L block, I dnk if it was stroked, but with the twin turbos on it, it was running in the 9s.

Check out the gasser and altered classes at the drags and this idea is not more outrageous than all those other wild race vehicles. And you'd be much more aerodynamic than something with a 63 Impala body.

By the time you'd be done with a V8 Contour rwd 1320 blaster, wouldn't it look a little bit like a poor man's version of a rwd Nascar Fusion?
Posted By: MxRacer Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 04:53 AM
i've never fully understood the idea of these kinds of conversions. i can see using small cars like foci or geo's, but it's not like the tour is a lightweight car to begin with. are you that in love with the looks of this car to the point of doing all this just to make it fast?
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 12:40 PM
LOL I am more in love with the idea of having something that someone else does not have. I dont like to be like everyone else. BUT I am kinda sorta having second thoughts and may just do a 3.0 swap. The only reason on the thoughts is because I got a ride in a 72 Nova drag car yest and absolutely loved ity and I may use the money and get a 67 Mustang instead to go up against my friends car for friendly compitition. I will let you guys know for sure what I do.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 01:18 PM
Oh boy.. You're turning into the "that guy" of CEG.

Mark
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Oh boy.. You're turning into the "that guy" of CEG.

Mark

what, you didn't see it comming?

~Andrew
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 01:46 PM
Common now. I saw alot of doubt from people and the more I thought about it the more sense it made to just do a old car up and make the contour a bit faster with the general mods. Now I am wishing I would have kept my mouth shut lol. Oh well Who knows it still may happen though.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 01:48 PM
Common now. I saw alot of doubt from people and the more I thought about it the more sense it made to just do a old car up and make the contour a bit faster with the general mods. Now I am wishing I would have kept my mouth shut lol. Oh well Who knows it still may happen though.

the reason you saw a lot of doubt is because everyone but you knew you weren't going to do it.

you're not the first person to come on here and make big claims and not follow through.
Posted By: Stazi Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 01:50 PM
My $0.02c:

There's a post like this every 6 months or so, so you're not a pioneer in your thinking, neother will you garner any "'attaboys" from many people.

My recommendation for you AND anyone else dreaming up this old and beat-up idea is this: STFU and say nothing!

It's better to deliver the finished product with the surprise and praise from your peers than come across like another dumbass bigmouth newbie with a hairbrain scheme that will most likely never come to fruition.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
fruition

+10 points for using the word fruition

~Andrew
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 02:15 PM
Wow and you guys earn respect for this kinda attitude?? Dam. I thought this was a car related enthusiast club not a lets bash the newbies for opening their mind up club. How am I suppose to know if its been thought up or not?? I am not in here THAT much on a daily basis to know how many times its been brought up. Yeah I know maybe I should have kept the mouth shut until I knew more of it. Like I said it still may get done it just depends. geez not much respect for other car clubers. Man I should have stayed with the old cars at least their was respect in those clubs.
Posted By: Stazi Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 02:17 PM
Dude, it's called the search funciton and aside from that you're al over the joint with your thoughts - doesn't exactly assert our confidence in your plans.

All I said was that with crazy ideas like these you're best off doing rather than saying - you don't need to be "that guy".
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 02:34 PM
Got ya. I took it wrong from the way you came off the first time around. No I do not intend to be THAT GUY. I made a bad move by speaking before it was confirmed. I will addmit to that. I will not rule it out yet though I am just deciding and planning it out and seeing what it takes and what I can do yet. It will take time no matter what as there is ALOT of things to considr when doing this. Chassis work, safety, geometry, etc lots of planning and thought involved. The only other thing that is gonna put a hault on thing is if I lose the old lady and go through a divorce which is looking like it may acyually happen. No way do I want to be "that guy"
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 02:37 PM
Lengthy 5.0 thread

V8 / RWD thread

Smallblock / RWD thread

Lot's of info in those threads. Maybe you will make it happen.

Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 02:44 PM
Thanks GTOPete, That may help me out and make the decision for good. I have always wanted to do something like this and this car would be the least suspected car to be on the road with a v8 lurking under the hood. I will read it all tonight when I get home from work as I really would not mind doing this. Heck I could get this dione then go get my classic mustang lol. Have two toys.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 03:02 PM
Thanks GTOPete, That may help me out and make the decision for good. I have always wanted to do something like this and this car would be the least suspected car to be on the road with a v8 lurking under the hood. I will read it all tonight when I get home from work as I really would not mind doing this. Heck I could get this dione then go get my classic mustang lol. Have two toys.

Actually, a Focus would be the least suspected car with a V8, and *it has been done*. So, in theory, you could do it.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

Actually, a Focus would be the least suspected car with a V8...

Not really. More people than you realize already know about this swap, and now they're even doing it on TV (Speed Channel's "Sports Car Revolution," with our old friend Sean Hyland.)
Posted By: ellmers95 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 05:30 PM
Yep. The focus swap was featured in Hot Rod a couple of years ago already and widely publisized. Who would look at a Contour LX and think anything of it??? You look at a honda and stuff and first thought is ok where is the NOS?? The fart can?? ETC... there are few cars that dont look like anyone would do anything to. The Contour is one of them unless its a SVT. I like the sleekness the contours offer, convenience, and space. PLUS I really want to see the look on some Honda boys car when we are at a redlight wanting to race his mad bee on steriods and I leave two marks, and cloud of smoke, and going sideways down the street whoopin him!!
Posted By: Stazi Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 06:22 PM
Yep. The focus swap was featured in Hot Rod a couple of years ago already and widely publisized. Who would look at a Contour LX and think anything of it??? You look at a honda and stuff and first thought is ok where is the NOS?? The fart can?? ETC... there are few cars that dont look like anyone would do anything to. The Contour is one of them unless its a SVT. I like the sleekness the contours offer, convenience, and space. PLUS I really want to see the look on some Honda boys car when we are at a redlight wanting to race his mad bee on steriods and I leave two marks, and cloud of smoke, and going sideways down the street whoopin him!!

The whole steering rack thing basically destroys the practicality of this conversion. Basically the front subframe is useless for a RWD setup and thus you need to fabe up EVERYTHING from scratch, and I'm talk front subframe, front-mount steering rack, custom knuckles, custom everything - not worth it.

You want a fast car? Then go by an straight old 5.0 Fox for $5k dump another $5k into the driveline, and be done with it.

Absolute waste of time and money otherwise.
Posted By: Avey Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 06:26 PM

If you are after the look on peoples faces after you fly by a V8 in a Contour, a 3L turbo should work just fine. Even my 3L Mystique does the trick.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/24/06 07:02 PM
Wow and you guys earn respect for this kinda attitude?? Dam. I thought this was a car related enthusiast club not a lets bash the newbies for opening their mind up club. How am I suppose to know if its been thought up or not?? I am not in here THAT much on a daily basis to know how many times its been brought up. Yeah I know maybe I should have kept the mouth shut until I knew more of it. Like I said it still may get done it just depends. geez not much respect for other car clubers. Man I should have stayed with the old cars at least their was respect in those clubs.

I don't think they were trying to squash your "creativity" or anything. They were pointing out that what you were suggesting is not a completely new idea, and will be VERY labor and cost intensive.

They showed that they are true car enthusiasts by telling you several ways to better and more efficiently use your money and end up with a fast, driveable car. Instead of throwing money and time towards a project that will never be finished because of all the time, $$ and labor involved.

You made yourself look a little silly by saying that it will definitely happen damn all the costs, and then a few days later reneging on that statement and saying maybe.

The CEG will be a good resource for you if you decide to play with your Contour. There is plenty of knowledge and experience on this website and in the forums and membership to help you with a reasonable project like a 3L swap, or turbo add on, etc. Good luck in whatever you do.

Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/25/06 09:17 PM
I've got an easier plan for a v8 RWD Contour: Find a wrecked but running Mustang GT (any body style) and swap a Contour's body panels over to it. Steering rack, driveline, fuel tank, exhaust pipes; all problems solved!
Posted By: Stazi Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/25/06 10:56 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
I've got an easier plan for a v8 RWD Contour: Find a wrecked but running Mustang GT (any body style) and swap a Contour's body panels over to it. Steering rack, driveline, fuel tank, exhaust pipes; all problems solved!

Hate to breakit to ya, but body panels aren't interchangeable it would not be easy AT ALL.

The whole idea is stupid.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/25/06 10:58 PM

Hate to breakit to ya, but body panels aren't interchangeable it would not be easy AT ALL.

Might as well badge a GT Mustang a Contour.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/26/06 12:08 AM

Easier than the original idea.
Posted By: jthursby Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 04/26/06 01:18 AM
I can vouch for the fact that the whole front needs to be rebuilt. I cut and welded up two K frames trying to make it work with the stock rack. It CAN be done, just not very easily. If you absolutly have to have one, go for it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Jim T.
Posted By: coatsy Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 05/02/06 01:38 AM
Lets see some pics..
Posted By: Pope Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 06/02/06 02:04 AM
I stripped and parted a '90 Fox last fall/winter.

You'd have to make a trip to MI, but I have some parts that may come in handy:

-k member
-steering rack
-ps pump
-a arms
-8.8 rear end
-upper and lower rear control arms
-stock springs

Posted By: Steeda. Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 06/02/06 06:43 PM
Do you still have those parts? Shoot me a PM
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 06/03/06 06:43 AM
WTF you need those for, wang!
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 06/03/06 03:36 PM
There was a guy over on the MEG boards who is doing the same thing. He's got the car town apart and in putting a Range Rover engine in. It's not a very powerful block and I think it's pretty stupid that way. I can't find the link right now but have a look and see if he's got any info for you.
Posted By: jthursby Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 06/04/06 02:38 AM
Originally posted by coatsy:
Lets see some pics..

I moved the first of the year, and while I now have a three car garage instead of a two, I junked a lot of stuff that was in my shed including the contour front clip and the two K frames. I'm not a great one for keeping photo records of deeds and have none. I'll say this, get a 302 and a five speed. Hang it from the strut towers and start cutting the firewall till it clears that. Then you can try to install the front frame and rack and see what needs to be cut/removed/changed/beaten/welded and cursed at. Like I have stated earlier and it really hacks some people off, is it CAN be done. You had better have some fabrication experience or be willing to learn if you really want to finish it. It will not be easy. I was taking the wrong route by trying to modify the stock frame. it needs a different one maybe an aftermarket mustang II frame. Someday when I finish the Honda trail 90 and Vulcan 1500 restorations maybe I'll tackle it again.

Jim T.
Posted By: Eliteman76 Re: What am I getting into?? lol - 06/05/06 02:50 PM
Not to drag this up, sounds like a few got mighty upset...but as a former autobody tech...speaking from experiance...I chopped a pickup I had, made it a hardtop convertable...alot of people was like you spent $$$ to fix the a/c then I chopped the roof.

My theory is it could be done, but probably the best route to go about this is finding a 5.0 fox mustang shell, cutting away the upper body, just leaving the floor, rockers, and front clip.
I would work on trying to do a decent setback on the engine/trans...The dash assembly on these cars are pretty deep...you could take out a portion of the fire wall, ditch the factory HVAC, and maybe just adapt a heater box from something else.
Welding would be a major issue...having someone knowing what they are able to do is pretty high up their...you'd want someone with a good 220v welder, a 110v unit ain't going to cut it if you have alot of heavy welding.
As far as the steering, etc, if you ended up using the front clip off a fox mustang, all your suspension and steering issues are handled.
swapping out the rear floor pans off the mustang gives you everything you need to mount up the 8.8 rear axle, and a place for a factory fuel tank, or a fuel cell.
I don't know what the track widths are, but I can't imagine there being a huge difference.
As far as making a heavy car run, I have a 4,300 pount Torino, call me crazy but heavy cars can and do run quick 1/4 mile times.
Worry about the ounces, and the pounds will fall.
my 2 cents. It just depends on you.
© CEG Archives