Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Harrry Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 07:20 AM
I did this in about an hour.!! I followed this link that i found in the serach!!

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genmods&Number=832207&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Works perfect!! i am very pleased with having a clock!!

Well just wanted to share my new mod.

I kinda don;t like the oragnge color to it. It is starting to grow on me, kinda.

Does anyone know if i can change the bulb to a green one instead of orange. Only to match the interior???
Posted By: kipsvt98 Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 02:14 PM
yeah, you can change it. But it's not the actual bulb it's a piece of colored rubber that slides over the bulb. Kinda like a bulb condom I guess.
Posted By: rouar Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 05:29 PM
Kind of a crappy picture for what you're looking for, but this shows the bulb with the green condom on it. link
Posted By: Harrry Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 06:33 PM
where would i get a bulb like that/condom lol.

Radio shack or something?? hmmm only place i an think of
Posted By: kipsvt98 Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 06:52 PM
I think any auto parts store....I can't remember if I saw them at Murray's when I was there picking up my new bulb for the clock. The only thing that sucks is you're are going to have to pull the clock, pull the bulb, change the rubber thingy, then solder the bulb back in.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 07:08 PM
hmmm, what holds the bul in place, is it fixed by plastic or was it sodered in??

I have a soder gun, it kinda sucks thought. murrays is where i will go today.

tnaks a bunch.

Let me know of any tips i sould know before i start this project.

1.soder gun
2.soder
3.condom
Posted By: Sl33stak Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Rickson:
hmmm, what holds the bul in place, is it fixed by plastic or was it sodered in??

tnaks a bunch.

1.soder gun
2.soder
3.condom

4. SPELL CHECKER
Posted By: kipsvt98 Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 07:45 PM

tnaks a bunch.

1.soder gun
2.soder
3.condom

Here's the how-to for replacing the bulb off of the main site:

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=13
Posted By: Harrry Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/19/06 10:59 PM
wow sounds like i will stay with orange. I will fiddle with it some other time. As of right now the last person just changed the the light bulb for me.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/20/06 12:07 AM
1.soder gun
2.soder
3.condom

Sounds like a fun night, but be careful, don't wanna read about you in the newspaper tomorrow.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/20/06 12:50 AM
wow sounds like i will stay with orange. I will fiddle with it some other time. As of right now the last person just changed the the light bulb for me.

The bulb on the 98 clock is just a twist lock bulb. Takes about 5 secs to remove it.

From the factory it is illuminated green. How did it end up orange?
Posted By: Harrry Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/20/06 04:04 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

The bulb on the 98 clock is just a twist lock bulb. Takes about 5 secs to remove it.

From the factory it is illuminated green. How did it end up orange?

well i saw the black tab on the back but never thought of removing it to see the bulb. The person i bought it from just changed the bulb. So maybe he replaced it with an orange one. But the link to the pic that a person just posted showed the same clock style and his being orange??

weird if u ask me!!
Posted By: rouar Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/20/06 06:14 AM

tnaks a bunch.

1.soder gun
2.soder
3.condom

Woah there killer! The bulb is screwed in via the back. See this pic - link - that big round hole in the back, the bulb should be screwed in there (via a black plastic piece - might need a coin to screw it out). It's held in by plastic tabs - a quarter turn one way (forget left or right) and it should pop out.

Replacement bulbs are cheapish from Ford - I think I paid $3 or $4 for mine - but they don't come with the green condom. Sounds like the previous owner just got a bulb and put it in. The condom works, um, like a condom - goes right over the bulb ... just take the bulb out, put the condom on it, and put it back in. (am I still talking about clocks here? lol)
Posted By: Harrry Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/20/06 07:41 AM
Okay i am going to tear it apart tomorrow.

Just to see what the final conclusion is with this light bulb!!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/20/06 03:10 PM
Colored bulbs are one way to go, you can also take the clock apart and use translucent vinyl. You have SO many more color choices using the vinyl. Disassembling the clock is easy too. If you go the vinyl route, stick it to the white diffuser and then make sure the white side faces the bulb, and the colored side faces the car interior. You'll really like the results.

Your local sign maker should have some scraps he'd give you, but he shouldn't charge you more than $1 for a scrap if anything.

Here's mine:
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Reconected the dash clock - 04/21/06 12:09 AM
You can get the bulb from the dealer. Last I knew it was less than $5.00. For that price it is not worth the hassle for trying to make something else fit.

I have posted several times about a source for the colored sleeve. I don't remember the part number now, and it is hard to find on the internat catalog, but you should be able to find it in the printed catalog. It is available from partsexpress.com in quantities of 10 for less than $3.00 for the 10. You should be able to find the part number on a search, but it has probably been at least two years ago.
© CEG Archives