Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Mod-deth Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 05:19 AM
What's everyone use and recommend?
Posted By: Harrry Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 05:28 AM
stock replacemnet "motorcraft", had the best of luck with them!!

Bosch would be my next choice.

What people don;t realize, u have to clean your wiper blades every 2 to 3 weeks. So they don't rip apart due to fragments/dirt driving themselves deeper into the rubber!!

I take a towel and spray windex and wipe up and down on my wipers every 2 weeks. helps the life of them x2.

Posted By: '99 Contour SE Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 05:32 AM
Mr Clean Blades. Rain-X windshield washer fluid. That combination is amazing. I have an eye problem and having a spotless windshield is a must. I can't see if there is any glare. This combination can't be beat.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 06:03 AM
no rainX

I bought PIAA Super Sporza wipers (I know it sounds ricey but bare with me) I was having a problem on the highway that my wipers wouldnt stay on the windshield at high speeds, the PIAA ones came with a spoiler and silicone coating that is just absoloutly amazing! I love these wipers and highly recoment them..I got them at tire rack

Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
no rainX

I bought PIAA Super Sporza wipers (I know it sounds ricey but bare with me) I was having a problem on the highway that my wipers wouldnt stay on the windshield at high speeds, the PIAA ones came with a spoiler and silicone coating that is just absoloutly amazing! I love these wipers and highly recoment them..I got them at tire rack

I was looking at those myself...for just the same reasons. I usually do 85mph on the highway..and tend to get that wiper lift.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 06:56 AM
Napa Innovision. BEST WIPERS I HAVE OWNED YET. They are the ones that don't have the frame work. They look kinda goofy at first but up till 1XX MPH they stay planted on the windshiled and work flawlessly.

(best picture I have right now)
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 08:25 AM
Bosch Microedge Excel. I use them on the truck and SVT and have never had a problem out of them.

Posted By: rouar Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 69Boss302:
Bosch Microedge Excel. I use them on the truck and SVT and have never had a problem out of them.

The same here. I started using these in 2001 at the recommendation of CEGers. I tried using RainX brand once because I was cheap, but the quality was far less than I was used to with the Microedge Excels. Now on whenever I buy a car I immediately replace the windshield wipers with Excels (the only exception being my Maxima since the previous owner had put new wipers on it recently). I even got my parents hooked on these; all of their vehicles now sport Bosches.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 05:21 PM
I run Ancos. I got the cheap Walmart ones once, and one blew up at 70mph at 3am. I had to drive with my head out the window in the rain at 10mph for 15 miles to get to the nearest Walmart.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 05:34 PM
I have the PIAA Silicon with wing wuipers too. The only complaint I have is that they have faded pretty bad because the skeleton is plastic, not metal like the Bosch or Anco. I ove tejh wing though, completely functional, improved downforce is our friend!

I am curious to see what the bodyless wipers look like on the car. After 18 months with the PIAA's its time for replacement. I may get some of them for my truck regardless, but if you can get some more pics on the tour, I might be sold!
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 06:46 PM
Recently I bought the Rain-X wiperblades and I like them a lot. Going 85 mph, I don't think they move a bit (at least I didn't notice it). BTW, I brew my very own homemade solution for my window washer fluid.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 07:51 PM
The best refills for the factory wipers are made by Lexor. They seem to be hard to find at the moment though. Lexor is one of the premium brands for Pylon. The Pylon refills are most certainly cheaper in every respect and in my mind unsatisfactory.

The Lexor blades are also a premium blade. I much prefer them to Bosch. They are also hard to find at the moment.

Another of Pylon's premium brands is Michelin wiper blades. They are available at Target and Wal Mart. It looks like the Target ones are a different model. The Target ones are among the most expensive blades I have bought, but they are worth it. The Wal Mart ones have different labeling and every indication from the Pylon web site is that they are different. They are about half the price of the Target ones. I'm probably going to try the Wal Mart ones the next time I buy blades unless I can find a local source for Lexor refills.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Eric L:
I have the PIAA Silicon with wing wuipers too. The only complaint I have is that they have faded pretty bad because the skeleton is plastic, not metal like the Bosch or Anco. I ove tejh wing though, completely functional, improved downforce is our friend!

I am curious to see what the bodyless wipers look like on the car. After 18 months with the PIAA's its time for replacement. I may get some of them for my truck regardless, but if you can get some more pics on the tour, I might be sold!

hmm mine havent faded yet..lol

my next pair will def. be the new Valeo's

Posted By: rouar Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
I run Ancos. I got the cheap Walmart ones once, and one blew up at 70mph at 3am. I had to drive with my head out the window in the rain at 10mph for 15 miles to get to the nearest Walmart.

For this reason I *always* stash my old pair of wipers in the trunk.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/26/06 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Rouar:
Originally posted by Matt R:

For this reason I *always* stash my old pair of wipers in the trunk.

Damn right. I've had a pair of old wipers in the bottom of the trunk next to the spare ever since that happened. That night was not fun.
Posted By: Geddup Noise Re: Wiper Blades - 03/27/06 04:00 AM
I'm using Rain-X Blades now and they are the best blade I've used thus far. ANCO, Bosch, Trico, ACDelco all suck. I've used them all.

Goonz mentioned the new Valeo's. I've heard great things about them. All of the new Audi's are equipped with them as well. I'm going to give them a shot once I get my next paycheck.

The thing that's cool about these blades is their lack of metal to metal joints that most wipers have. The blade itself usually isnt the problem. When the metal starts to get old or rust the wiper doesnt contour to the windsheild as well anymore leaving streaks and missing some parts of the windsheild all together. I've been pumped about these since I saw them on the Audi TT. But at first i thought it was just an Audi thing.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/27/06 03:44 PM

These are deff. a nice pair of blades as I have had these on for almost a year now and even though I'm in Phoenix(for now) and we just finished up around 140 days without rain, it has been raining here and there for the past couple weeks... The Valeos perform like the day I bought them, they were a little more expensive when I first got them, But if I'm not mistaken their prices are fairly similar to everything else out there now....
I highly recommend these for anyone who hates the problems assoc. with metal frame wiper blades..

yep, just checked tirerack and they are the second cheapest pair, and highest qaulity IMHO clicky fo' linky
Posted By: morbid Re: Wiper Blades - 03/27/06 05:17 PM
Hmm... I looked at Tirerack and they list 20" and 21" blades for our cars. The bosch book at Autozone listed 20" and 22" (I'm running Bosch blades, btw). I just changed them out (because of Phoenix's recent rains) and it looks like a 24" blade would work for the drivers side. Has anyone tried that?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/27/06 05:51 PM
Originally posted by morbid:
Hmm... I looked at Tirerack and they list 20" and 21" blades for our cars. The bosch book at Autozone listed 20" and 22" (I'm running Bosch blades, btw). I just changed them out (because of Phoenix's recent rains) and it looks like a 24" blade would work for the drivers side. Has anyone tried that?

I have always went by what was recomended..Im running 20" and 21" and so far I love it
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/27/06 06:22 PM
Before I bought the valeo's I believe I was running a 21-22in. combo, and they fit/worked fine(besides the obvious of them being shotty wipers).
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 03/27/06 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Manch-VegasSVT:

These are deff. a nice pair of blades as I have had these on for almost a year now and even though I'm in Phoenix(for now) and we just finished up around 140 days without rain, it has been raining here and there for the past couple weeks... The Valeos perform like the day I bought them, they were a little more expensive when I first got them, But if I'm not mistaken their prices are fairly similar to everything else out there now....
I highly recommend these for anyone who hates the problems assoc. with metal frame wiper blades..

yep, just checked tirerack and they are the second cheapest pair, and highest qaulity IMHO clicky fo' linky

Gonna order some. I'm a sucker for new designs...

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/28/06 04:39 AM
If you are seriously thinking of ordering the Valeo's, Amazon.com has them for $18.50 each. True, only a $1.50 cheaper than Tirerack, but think free shipping on order of $25 or more, thats 2 blades shipped free.

Just search valeo and the size you need, i.e. "Valeo 21" and then in the cart, it recommended the otehr size I needed! Like it knew me, creepy!

Of course, I threw in a set for the truck too, so I am way over free shipping, but what the heck, it's only money right?
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 03/28/06 02:04 PM
Thanks! Heading that direction nect click!

Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Wiper Blades - 03/30/06 07:27 AM
didnt know rain-x made blades, but i sure love the solution they make! I got some reflex baldes from canadian tire. Work awesome!
Posted By: therouer_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/30/06 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Mod-Deth:

Gonna order some. I'm a sucker for new designs...

Thanks everyone.

I bought a pair for my Mystique. They're in the category "greatest thing since sliced bread". They won't skip, hop or jump at most speeds. And they're very good in the winter time.

Eric...
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 03/30/06 08:04 PM
Good gawd Amazon is fast! I ordered a set of the Valeos on Tuesday...they just showed up! And they're predicting rain the next 4 days...
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Wiper Blades - 03/30/06 09:21 PM
Good gawd Amazon is fast! I ordered a set of the Valeos on Tuesday...they just showed up! And they're predicting rain the next 4 days...

what is this...err..err..ray..rayne of which you speak?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/30/06 11:11 PM

post pics of how they look on your car, im curious

You say rain like its a bad thing? You just bought new wiper blades, what better way to try them out?

I ordered mine on Tuesday too, signed up for a trial membership in Amazon Prime, and got free 2-day shipping. Get this, I order a total of 5 items: 4 wiper blades (2x18", 1x20" & 1x21") and a book. They shipped ALL 5 ITEMS IN SEPARATE BOXES! From the same location! I took some pics, b/c they were not small boxes either. I am talking huge boxes for 1 wiper blade. I think I am going to send a friendly e-mail to amazon with pics, as an FYI. Working in a shipping facility for 8 years, I think this is a bit wasteful.

I got mine installed and took a few pics since the camera was out anyway:

The boxes they came in: Remember 1 wiper per box

My faded PIAA wiper:

PIAA from front:

From inside:

From angle:

Valeo from angle:

Valeo from Front:

Valeo from inside:

It was kinda dark in my garage, so I had to lighten with PS, so they aren't the greatest, but they get the job done!
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 03:57 AM
Originally posted by 69Boss302:

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 04:24 AM
wow those valeos look siiick!! def. getting those next time!!
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 01:08 PM
wow those valeos look siiick!! def. getting those next time!!

Oh yeah, they do look slick. Very minimalistic...very streamline. Install was a breeze. Easiest set evahhhhh. Take everything off your old wiper arm. Flip up a plastic "flap" on the Valeo. Slide arm into Valeo. Pull back until it "snaps". Put flap back down. Done. Blade will not come off unless flap is pulled back up.

Just love it when something new is actually better than what it replaces.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 03:34 PM
I have the bosch microedges and they're no better than some cheap anco's.

I may try these valeos out.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:

Do it...

Do it now!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 03:57 PM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:

Do it...

Do it now!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to order a set tonight.

Maybe a set for our Mustang too.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 04:02 PM
so they look great and all...but..um....how well do they do the job?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 04:51 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
so they look great and all...but..um....how well do they do the job?

Originally posted by Geddup Noise:
Goonz mentioned the new Valeo's. I've heard great things about them. All of the new Audi's are equipped with them as well. I'm going to give them a shot once I get my next paycheck.

The thing that's cool about these blades is their lack of metal to metal joints that most wipers have. The blade itself usually isnt the problem. When the metal starts to get old or rust the wiper doesnt contour to the windsheild as well anymore leaving streaks and missing some parts of the windsheild all together. I've been pumped about these since I saw them on the Audi TT. But at first i thought it was just an Audi thing.

Read.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 05:04 PM
Thanks sport, but I was looking for other people that have had experience w/ them other than the 1 review and the 1 "i've heard they are good" post that I already read from the thread.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 05:36 PM
Trust me, my review is all you need... They far exceed any other wiperblades on the market...... Why do you think that euro's have been using this design of wipers for more than 5yrs now......could just be because they are of exceptional quality, and I'm pretty sure the big name blade companies are working on their own type of this design.

You won't be dissapointed with these blades, Sport.........
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 03/31/06 10:40 PM
BMW's have those too..
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 04/01/06 12:37 AM

Install was a breeze. Easiest set evahhhhh. Take everything off your old wiper arm. Flip up a plastic "flap" on the Valeo. Slide arm into Valeo. Pull back until it "snaps". Put flap back down. Done. Blade will not come off unless flap is pulled back up.

They wen't any easier to install than any other blade I have ever installed. Every other blade I have installed clicks when you lock it in, these didn't, which scared me a bit. Yes they have the door thingie.

As for performance, it didn't rain here today, go figure, after I install something I want to try. I am sure I will be able to review them on my truck soon though.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Wiper Blades - 04/01/06 03:05 AM
Saw an advertisement in a magazine for the Bosch brand today forget what they were called though ...
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Wiper Blades - 04/02/06 11:31 PM
holy crap. got to like the size of box they use to send those blades from amazon!
Posted By: R_G Re: Wiper Blades - 04/08/06 05:28 PM
I love these wipers and highly recoment them.

Yup, them are great.

P.S. Goonz: yes, I finally put them in the correct position.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 04/08/06 06:31 PM
Originally posted by R_G:
I love these wipers and highly recoment them.

Yup, them are great.

P.S. Goonz: yes, I finally put them in the correct position.

haha good! I saw the pic of them and was like wait a minute..wtf! hahah
Posted By: Mac Chicken Re: Wiper Blades - 04/08/06 07:14 PM
bosch, really no better wiper out there imho. silent, sticks to the windshield (even after 100) and cleans like a dream. I have the 25 dlr apiece wipers, they have the super rubber ones for like 35 apc.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 04/08/06 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Mac Chicken:
bosch, really no better wiper out there imho. silent, sticks to the windshield (even after 100) and cleans like a dream. I have the 25 dlr apiece wipers, they have the super rubber ones for like 35 apc.

bosch even after a brand new windshield crapped on me in less then 6 months..its wasnt even winter..the one I had were like $30 a piece..I switched to PIAA then..they are great
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Wiper Blades - 04/09/06 07:36 PM
I ordered the Valeo's and installed them Tuesday. They are amazing so far.

Silent as they go across the glass, clears the water at any temp or speed driving, dirty water kicked up from other cars doesn't need to be rinsed with washer fluid. A couple wipes across the glass and it's clear as could be.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 04/09/06 08:30 PM
I just ordered mine last night
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 04/10/06 01:31 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Silent as they go across the glass, clears the water at any temp or speed driving, dirty water kicked up from other cars doesn't need to be rinsed with washer fluid. A couple wipes across the glass and it's clear as could be.

I'll say the same here. Plus they look soo clean!

In all honesty..its hard to say if they're light years better than cheapies from Walmart at this point. Don't they all work amazing the first month or so? The proof will be 6 months down the road for me. But as of right now...I'm really happy with them.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 04/10/06 04:21 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

sweet! my next set will def. be valeos..but so far the PIAA's are doing awesome!
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 03:44 PM
Well well well....

Had the blades for what...all of 3 weeks...used them maybe 4 times, and my driver's side blade won't flipover as it comes up. The blade stays angled up....and is squeaking like a MF as its doing it.

I think I'm gonna call Tirerack.com and complain.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 03:49 PM
mine have worked well so far, only think that I noticed is the very outside edge on the passanger side doens't touch the windshield when the wiper is at rest, it good when they are on
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 03:55 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
only think that I noticed is the very outside edge on the passanger side doens't touch the windshield when the wiper is at rest, it good when they are on

Mine does that as well...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Mid Life Crisis:
Originally posted by BrApple:
only think that I noticed is the very outside edge on the passanger side doens't touch the windshield when the wiper is at rest, it good when they are on

Mine does that as well...

+1

Doesn't affect how it works though. Makes full contact with the rest of the glass when they start to move.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 09:04 PM
On the topic of the Valeo wipers, Put them on the A4 and didnt like them, Dont know maybe its just me but they seemed to skip a bit.

I use bosch whatevers on all my cars... just the 10 buck ones from murrays.

Its just a wiper!
Posted By: rouar Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Its just a wiper!

You did not just say that.

Wipers are extraordinarily important to me for visibility. I can't stand being behind a streaky wiper or having visibility reduced in any way. The first mod I always do when I get a new car is replace the wipers (the sole exception being my Maxima, as the wipers were nearly brand new when I got it). I am certain others feel the same.

I suppose now you're going to say you were just joking and I'm taking things too seriously
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Wiper Blades - 04/21/06 09:56 PM
my buddies were making fun of my wipers cause i have those little spoilers on them to keep them down. I was like seriously! they do serve a purpose..I dont know how valeo's will do for me since i had a very bad problem with my wipers staying on my windshield. So far im diggin the PIAA's
© CEG Archives