Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 02:10 AM
How do you do it? I'm sick of it coming up everytime i turn the CD player on.
Posted By: xchang_dup1 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 02:38 AM
Hmmmm... I got an Alpine deck and the only time the antenna comes up is when I change it to the radio. But when on CD, it is down. I'm thinking if you got a deck with that internal switch, it'll fix the issue. I think there is a harness on the antenna itself that is removable.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 03:14 AM
Yeah, I know. It annoyed the hell out of me having the antenna come up everytime I turned the stereo on even if I always used the CD player, stupid thing was up.

Now with my Alpine it's only up when I run the radio, which is almost never.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 03:18 AM
I pulled the power to my antenna motor by simply pulling the plug attaching to the motor. Pretty simple. But now it never comes up. Your FM reception will be affected and you might lose most AM signals.
Posted By: rouar Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 03:43 AM
I recall PT95LS tapped into the power signal and installed a switch right below his head unit so that it only came up when he had the switch thrown. Not certain how though and his website no longer exists.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 03:46 AM
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
I pulled the power to my antenna motor by simply pulling the plug attaching to the motor. Pretty simple. But now it never comes up. Your FM reception will be affected and you might lose most AM signals.

Wheres the plug at?
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 04:24 AM
Well if you are that concerned, hook up an inturrupter switch to it running to a 12 volt source or just tap inthe the radio harness obviously the blue wire with an inturrupter switch.

Now you have full control and do not have toworry about what kind of deck you have.

i know what you mean, the antennae is huge, but i dont mind itup, cuz i dont see it

oh and SKRILLA, why did you "rice" out your contour??
Just curious because its an american car. I like what you did to it because its different but it just looks better on a civic. Thats just my opinion...

but yeah use the inturrupter switch, what does everyone else think?
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 04:49 AM
Originally posted by ContourSVT93:
Well if you are that concerned, hook up an inturrupter switch to it running to a 12 volt source or just tap inthe the radio harness obviously the blue wire with an inturrupter switch.

Now you have full control and do not have toworry about what kind of deck you have.

i know what you mean, the antennae is huge, but i dont mind itup, cuz i dont see it

oh and SKRILLA, why did you "rice" out your contour??
Just curious because its an american car. I like what you did to it because its different but it just looks better on a civic. Thats just my opinion...

but yeah use the inturrupter switch, what does everyone else think?

SE is rice if you wanna call it that. Thats got a shaved antenna.

The antenna problem is on my SVT. Which is not getting any rice. Just gonna get faster.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 05:25 AM
About where that plug is: Have you pulled the trunk liner on the passenger side, where your antenna is? Do that and you will find it. I don't mean the lead that hooks up to the mast for your reception, I mean the several small wires that all plug together into the antenna up/down motor, almost like wires for a phone connection.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/20/06 11:16 AM
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
About where that plug is: Have you pulled the trunk liner on the passenger side, where your antenna is? Do that and you will find it. I don't mean the lead that hooks up to the mast for your reception, I mean the several small wires that all plug together into the antenna up/down motor, almost like wires for a phone connection.

Yeah, I unhooked mine since it stripped out. Now I just force the antenna up or down at will... was thinking of either shaving it when time for a new paint job (soon!), or getting one of those Ebay antennas.

Just pull back the carpeting like mentioned and you won't be able to miss it!
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/22/06 05:00 AM
I'm actually getting ready to disable the antenna myself. Now it goes up and down whenever the stereo is on (cd player, XM, or radio). I just purchased a small toggle switch from napa for $2 and going to put it right under the radio and wire it into the middle of the power antenna turn on wire. That way if I want the regular radio and not XM (I have no idea why), all I have to do is flip the switch and its up. Also if you leave the switch on, it'll still go down when you shut off the car
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/22/06 05:14 AM
Originally posted by skrilla187:
How do you do it? I'm sick of it coming up everytime i turn the CD player on.

I had that problem too with the stock cd player but it went away once I got my kenwood deck and also sirius so i pretty much stopped listening to the radio
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/22/06 06:40 AM
I just pulled the power from the antenna and just listen to my Ipod or a CD. XM or Sirius is to expensive for my cheap a$$ Its not hard to do though just give it a tug behind the lining in your trunk.
Posted By: MLuko Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/22/06 10:42 PM
mine comes up when i turn the car on.. weather the deck is on or not.. Damn circuit city
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/22/06 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Tour4reak:
mine comes up when i turn the car on.. weather the deck is on or not.. Damn circuit city

is it an aftermarket deck?
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/23/06 10:45 PM
I have Sirius and as long as I don't change it to normal "tuner" mode it never comes up... which is great because that power antenna is freaking loud!!! first time it came up I was like.. HOLY HELL, what the f is that annoying noise!

thats bizarre that yours comes up in CD mode.. WTF?
Posted By: Berkel Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/24/06 01:02 AM
On my old Sony deck the antenna only came up for Radio but now that I have my Pioneer Deck and Sirius Satellite it comes up for everything. I hate it because when I switch cd's, it goes down then back up.

Not very loud but it still annoys me, thanks for telling how to unplug it
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Unhooking power antenna - 03/24/06 05:59 AM
I ended up just unplugging the wires to it. Really easy!
© CEG Archives