Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVTspazz Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 03:31 AM
Well today I have the ingenuis idea of using the reverse lights on the pre-98 trunk lid as brake/turn lights. So when you apply the brakes the revese lights light up and also when you use the turn signal they also blink in unison. Now using the stock white lights won't get you very far, so I still have to go get some red ones. WARNING: In order to do this mod you have to sacfrice your revese lights.

1. Cut the purple/black wire running to your reverse lights, leave enough to tap into to tho.

2. Splice into the blue/white wire running to your tails lights using an 3m connector.

3. Run wire from the tail light to the purple reverse light wire that is still running into the light socket.

4. Wah-lay there you go.

Since I don't use my reverse lights I decided that this was the best route for me and I like it so far. It's kinda like a 3rd brake light.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 04:03 AM
WOW! ULTRA COOL! Can you show me another mod where you have an illegal color showing while moving, and it appears that you are backing up everytime you tap the brakes??

I'd love to do that so that people behind me can panic, worry about what to do to protect their wife, children and self in their car every time I brake!

That's just awesome!

"Spazz" is right. Please return the laptop to whomever you borrowed it from. You need a lot more training before you come back here.
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 04:05 AM
its a cool mod if you were all show and it wasnt a daily driver other then that...illeigal...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 04:07 AM
So you want to flash bright azz lights at people when your driving and hit the brakes?
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 04:15 AM
Originally posted by SVTspazz:
Since I don't use my reverse lights...

How do you not use your reverse lights when you put your car in, oh whats the word, reverse?

The idea is nice, looking like a newer Audi, but unless you find another way to show that you are backing up, it won't be done to my car (or shouldn't be done to anybody else's)
Posted By: Tourige Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 04:23 AM
stupid ricers, man they have stupid ideas.
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
WOW! ULTRA COOL! Can you show me another mod where you have an illegal color showing while moving, and it appears that you are backing up everytime you tap the brakes??

I'd love to do that so that people behind me can panic, worry about what to do to protect their wife, children and self in their car every time I brake!

That's just awesome!

"Spazz" is right. Please return the laptop to whomever you borrowed it from. You need a lot more training before you come back here.

How is red an illegal color while moving?
Posted By: Korfu Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 05:05 AM
uhhh i have a pre98 and everytime i put the car into reverse no red light comes on... just a bright white light... Where is this red you speak of?
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Korfu:
uhhh i have a pre98 and everytime i put the car into reverse no red light comes on... just a bright white light... Where is this red you speak of?

uhh...I took the white reverse light bulbs and put red covers over them, I know it is ricey but it works and I like it. And as far as no reverse lights go, I would feel much safer knowing I'm not going to get rear ended AGAIN, then having someone knowing weither or not I'm backing up.
Posted By: Korfu Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 05:12 AM
to each his own i suppose.

Just a reminder never try to get it inspected like that... Im pretty sure it wont pass.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Korfu:

uhh...I took the white reverse light bulbs and put red covers over them, I know it is ricey but it works and I like it. And as far as no reverse lights go, I would feel much safer knowing I'm not going to get rear ended AGAIN, then having someone knowing weither or not I'm backing up.

untell someone backs up into you while your backing up, and then its your fault for not having white bulbs, Friggen idiot, use your head..
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 05:17 PM
Before I swapped the decklid on my `96 I had something kinda like this done. I had used six red LEDs per side that were aimed through the vent on the inside of the housing. They were hooked up to the tails and were just the perfect brightness to match the car's stock tails. When it was put in reverse the white light outshone the red and everything was still fine.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 05:45 PM
Some of you people need to CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 06:14 PM
How is red an illegal color while moving?

Originally posted by Spazz:
Now using the stock white lights won't get you very far, so I still have to go get some red ones. WARNING: In order to do this mod you have to sacfrice your revese lights.

You tell me how that said you used red, in any way?
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/08/06 09:05 PM
Ok, I see your point, but I think you jumped on me too quick. I have red ones in there, I by no means used the stock white ones while driving.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/10/06 07:40 AM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Before I swapped the decklid on my `96 I had something kinda like this done. I had used six red LEDs per side that were aimed through the vent on the inside of the housing. They were hooked up to the tails and were just the perfect brightness to match the car's stock tails. When it was put in reverse the white light outshone the red and everything was still fine.

Wow, that's exactly what I want to do to mine... But brighter (for rear fog lights).

Oh, and Spazz... make sure you know about your local laws... some places might complain about you using something for what it's not designed for... props for being [sorta] creative.

You could also use an amber bulb for brake/tail, but you might confuze people then!
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/10/06 10:21 PM
Ok, I see your point, but I think you jumped on me too quick. I have red ones in there, I by no means used the stock white ones while driving.

i dont think you get it... reverse lights are not for you to be able to see better when backing up... they're for other people to warn them that you are backing up.

I hope that someone slams into your car because they dont see you reversing. Moron.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/11/06 02:33 AM
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/11/06 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:

I was just about to say this was posted in the past......
I like the idea myself, but would try to find another alternative to add reverse lights someplace else....

Also, I beieve it was done on a post 98......
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/12/06 03:10 AM
Yeah, it would be cool if you could throw in another set of lights... so that way you have tails and reverse (LEDs).
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/12/06 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:

i dont think you get it... reverse lights are not for you to be able to see better when backing up... they're for other people to warn them that you are backing up.

I hope that someone slams into your car because they dont see you reversing. Moron.

Same to you buddy, but I am working on a way to wire 2 white LEDS to the reverse lights and then use the other to wire to my brakes light. So when you brake red comes but no white and when you reverse only whites come on.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/13/06 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:

That is completely uncalled for, now go back to c2 and knaub your car
Posted By: MattB Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/18/06 07:08 AM
Did it, it works. Check out the picture section.

Peace
MAtt
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Pre-98 Turn Brake light mod - 03/19/06 02:42 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:

That is completely uncalled for, now go back to c2 and knaub your car

hmmm... maybe you were unaware of this, but C2 doesn't exist anymore. if you dont believe me, go check out the url. also, i can't knaub my car because the entire car was repainted before i owned it and the guards were left on. so there would be a paint ridge.
© CEG Archives