Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Flexpipe replacement - 03/05/06 04:48 AM
is there an aftermarket part for this or a good direct replacement?? its a 2000 v6 auto with the 3 bolt flange. thanks in advance
Derek
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/05/06 05:54 AM
Yes, most online exhaust places have them for about $20. They just have regular ends and it gets welded on. The one for my Zetec was 10".
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/05/06 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Yes, most online exhaust places have them for about $20. They just have regular ends and it gets welded on. The one for my Zetec was 10".

What.. 20 bucks... seems way low

I got mine from Bill J for 80 bucks. Factory, bolted up, everything workes.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/05/06 05:43 PM
Yeah, the Ford one is about 4 times the price. The aftermarket standard ones just need to be welded in place. I think when I had mine replaced they charged me $20 for the labor.
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/06/06 04:11 PM
80$ from Bill, really, damn Ford wanted to charge me almost 300$ Canadian, for the piece itself, for a v6. stupid. i said no way.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/07/06 05:57 AM
Originally posted by paul martin:
80$ from Bill, really, damn Ford wanted to charge me almost 300$ Canadian, for the piece itself, for a v6. stupid. i said no way.

Did that include that main cat?
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/07/06 06:45 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:

I highly, highly, highly doubt you could get it for that price.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/07/06 10:01 PM

+1, 80 bucks was only the flex pipe, it had all the flanges on it so no welding had to be done.

If you want to use the stock 2-bolt main cat and the new 3-bolt flex pipe all you have to do is buy a 3-bolt flange from trubendz, cut off both of the stock flanges, cut the pipe down the size of the flex pipe, and weld on the flanges on both sides, thats what im doing and it only cost me a case of beer for my buddy to do it
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/08/06 06:43 PM

no only the flex pipe, at first they couldn't find it in the system, but then he found it and was i think 275, i said hell no.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/08/06 10:47 PM
LOL i got mine off of ebay for $30..brand new OEM Ford!!
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 05:33 AM
I was thinking if I buy/make a 3 bolt flang and weld it to a 2 bolt flage. It will be a 3 to 2 adaptor, do i still need the flex pipe?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 06:06 AM
I was thinking if I buy/make a 3 bolt flang and weld it to a 2 bolt flage. It will be a 3 to 2 adaptor, do i still need the flex pipe?

The flex pipe is needed to take stress off the headers, so yes, it is needed.

And your idea of welding the 2 flanges together... wont work, if you knew much about welding you can figure out why.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 06:37 AM
from my understanding the two blot flange does indeed take stress off the headers, my car does not have a flex pipe. My idea is get a three blot flange .5 in length pipe and a two bolt flange make an adaptor this way I still have the two bolt flange which will take the stress off the headers. "if you knew much about welding you can figure out why." not to sure what you meant buy this since I have welded and do know something about welding??
Posted By: Stazi Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 02:48 PM
Ghettooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Ghettooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Because I am adapting a product to work with my current set up Getto would be using dryer duct as your flex pipe being held on by duct tape.
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 04:22 PM
lucky you, i had to grab one in a junk yard, lucky me it was free.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 04:43 PM
from my understanding the two blot flange does indeed take stress off the headers, my car does not have a flex pipe.

Your SVT may not have a flex pipe, but it does have a flex joint. You must have some sort of flexable coupling to minimize stresses on your headers from engine movement. If you don't have flexation of some sort, you will crack headers, or pull the studs out of your aluminum heads. Bad news either way.

Do whatever you want, but be sure to retain some form of flexable section.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 05:29 PM
lucky you, i had to grab one in a junk yard, lucky me it was free.

luccckkkyyyyyyy
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 06:07 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Your SVT may not have a flex pipe, but it does have a flex joint.

isn't the two bolt flange i currently have the flex joint?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 07:06 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Your SVT may not have a flex pipe, but it does have a flex joint.

isn't the two bolt flange i currently have the flex joint?

no, the only cars that do not need to buy a flex pipe are the last 99's and 00's because they have one stock. you dont have one, you need one simple as that.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 08:22 PM
so then how haven't i broken anything yet with out a flex pipe, if the two bolt flange is not the flex joint??
Posted By: Stazi Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/09/06 08:31 PM
The 2-bolt flange WITH the donut gasket AND the spring bolts IS a flex joint. Just a flange to flange connection obviously isn't.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/10/06 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
The 2-bolt flange WITH the donut gasket AND the spring bolts IS a flex joint. Just a flange to flange connection obviously isn't.

That and the stock Manifolds are so damn think i dont see how you would crack them.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/10/06 01:53 PM
Yeah, yo'd break the studs in the head instead!
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/15/06 01:58 PM
So I have a 1998 Ford Contour SVT, so i dont have a stock flex pipe? I am installing headers, so where can i pick u a flex pipe and what size is it and such??

would this work????

Flex Pipe

Also where do i mount the flex pipe? I am not too familiar wiht the setup on the SVT exhaust so in order what components do i need from the engine back?

I have another problem too.... my stock cat is a 2 bolt flange (1998 svt) and my new y pipe from WR is going to be the 3 bolt flange.... so what shall i do about that?
hey i've found a great ebay company that sells the flex pipe for the v6, for cheap. here's the link, http://www.exhaustdirect.com/
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/15/06 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ContourSVT93:
So I have a 1998 Ford Contour SVT, so i dont have a stock flex pipe? I am installing headers, so where can i pick u a flex pipe and what size is it and such??

would this work????

Flex Pipe

Also where do i mount the flex pipe? I am not too familiar wiht the setup on the SVT exhaust so in order what components do i need from the engine back?

I have another problem too.... my stock cat is a 2 bolt flange (1998 svt) and my new y pipe from WR is going to be the 3 bolt flange.... so what shall i do about that?

Most likey you don't have a stock flex-pipe, but rather the "donut"-style flex gasket. What you need to do is either buy a cat with a 3-bolt flange along with a 3-bolt flex-pipe, or buy the 3-bolt flex-pipe and have an exhaust shop weld a 3-bolt flange on your current cat/test-pipe in place of your 2-bolt flange. The flex pipe goes after your Y-pipe and before your cat. I would recommend just ordering a Hi-Flo 3-bolt cat from Tru-Bendz and then get the 3-bolt flex-pipe since it would be dumb to have a crappy stock clogged cat right after your nice flowing headers.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/15/06 09:59 PM
dont forgot the 2 gaskets for the flex pipe for each end..

part # F5RZ-5E241-C
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/15/06 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

part # F5RZ-5E241-C

If you guys want ill make a Weapon R FAQ and GTO pete can Sticky it, there have been so many posts latly..
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/15/06 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

part # F5RZ-5E241-C

If you guys want ill make a Weapon R FAQ and GTO pete can Sticky it, there have been so many posts latly..

werd
Posted By: Tourige Re: Flexpipe replacement - 03/15/06 10:53 PM
Im doing one now, i just need me a Popsicle
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Flexpipe replacement for us canadians - 03/16/06 12:09 AM
hey i've found a great ebay company that sells the flex pipe for the v6, for cheap. here's the link, http://www.exhaustdirect.com/

Do they sell their parts on their webpage besides the eBay store that has only 14 things in it?

There site has a lot of good materials on it. But I don�t see an easy way to buy things.
just go on one of the items on ebay and ask them throught that, thats what i did. i got the item shipped out the same day i asked about it. very good service.
© CEG Archives