Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: fordsvt98 Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 04:37 AM
whats a good way to cut the shifter? Im trying to think of good clean ways to do it. Anyone?
Posted By: owen_SVT Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 04:45 AM
Might wanna try this in the "transaxle" thread...just a thought

Oh, and bad idea to just cut the shifter...I'd be a lot better decision to either get the B&M shifter or the Steeda...Search around a bit and you'll find your answer
Posted By: striker2 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:03 AM
Originally posted by owen_SVT:

Oh, and bad idea to just cut the shifter...I'd be a lot better decision to either get the B&M shifter or the Steeda...Search around a bit and you'll find your answer

only if you have a post-98

what are you supposed to do if you have a pre-98
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:10 AM
Originally posted by striker2:

fordsvt98

Hmmmm....
Posted By: striker2 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:13 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

fordsvt98

Hmmmm....

yeah but im sure ther are some guys with pre98's that would like some ideas

like me
Posted By: owen_SVT Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:34 AM
well since you hadnt posted anything reguarding it, my reply was in reguards to fordsvt98 ...oh, and thanks Tony lol
Posted By: striker2 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:37 AM
yeah i didnt see his name until after i posted otherwise my post might have been a little different
Posted By: owen_SVT Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:45 AM
Not a big deal haha...But a few posts that ive read is that all you'd need to do is cut the shifter and use a die, otherwise just use a non threaded shifter...Also to get rid of the reverse lockout you could take the cable and pull it tight so it seems that the reverse is always pulled and just tack it to the shifter itself...That way you dont need to get under the car to completely remove the lockout...Someone please correct me if im wrong though!
Posted By: striker2 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 05:48 AM
Not a big deal haha...But a few posts that ive read is that all you'd need to do is cut the shifter and use a die, otherwise just use a non threaded shifter...Also to get rid of the reverse lockout you could take the cable and pull it tight so it seems that the reverse is always pulled and just tack it to the shifter itself...That way you dont need to get under the car to completely remove the lockout...Someone please correct me if im wrong though!

thats kinda what i was thinking
Posted By: Tourige Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 08:56 PM

Buy a 97+
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 09:15 PM
pre98 short shifter.

http://airknight.wnysportriders.org/shortshifter.html
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/01/06 09:32 PM
Buy the B&M!! I absolutely love having it.
Posted By: fordsvt98 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/02/06 12:35 AM
Well I already took out my reverse lockout and I have a pre 98. Im trying to think of the best "rotory tool". Is it easy to remove the shifter rod from the plastic housing? or should I cut it when its still in the car cus it seems hard to take it out...is it a quick job to remove the rod? im looking at it like...okay what to remove first......
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Short Shifter? - 03/02/06 06:35 PM
I used a dremmel. Didn't take long to get thru with the larger cutting disk.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Short Shifter? - 03/02/06 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:
Buy the B&M!! I absolutely love having it.

stock shifter with cougar knob

B&M with Cougar knob (dont mind the mess, it was like a year ago)

Posted By: fordsvt98 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/03/06 08:29 AM
dremel thts PERFECT....tht will work gret thnks........wow i like tht before nd fter pic.........going to cut tomorow.
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Short Shifter? - 03/03/06 10:54 AM
Originally posted by fordsvt98:
dremel thts PERFECT....tht will work gret thnks........wow i like tht before nd fter pic.........going to cut tomorow.

Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel....A!
Posted By: Frosty Re: Short Shifter? - 03/03/06 03:02 PM
Originally posted by TBoomer:

Where's pole120?? He cut his down too...
Posted By: striker2 Re: Short Shifter? - 03/03/06 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 99contourdriver:
Originally posted by TBoomer:

Where's pole120?? He cut his down too...

did he now?

hmm, ill have to talk to him about it then. maybe a project for when you losers come down to chi-town
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Short Shifter? - 03/03/06 05:13 PM
be sure to cover in interior with a blanket or something. and wear eye protection, Lots of sparks!
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Short Shifter? - 03/03/06 07:51 PM
This dude in my shop saw my car the other day and was like "is that a real B&M, or just the knob?" Woudln't believe me when I said it was real.

Him and his stock Jetta!

That was the first hit, his second was when he was trying to convince me that a Porsche 944 would outrun an Altima SE-R (he knew for sure b/c he is a "certified Nissan salesman," even though he's been here for the last 2-3 years ), third hit was when he tried to convince me (via that same 944) that PS (metric HP) was to HP as kW is to HP (as in, like 100kW is 134HP). He tried saying the 944's 4 cylinder, being 161PS would be way over 200HP. I pulled up a quick unit convertor and showed him how much of a dumbass he was.
© CEG Archives