Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: B.Brattina "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 06:56 AM
After being in the VWvortex forums for a long time, and seeing all of the cheap and easy things to do to your car, I haven't seen one in here, and NO, i'm not about to search for one-- Hopefully others can benefit from this as well-

I am asking for all of you to post your relatively cheap (30-40$ and under) and if it was a do it yourself, possibly an explanation--

I for one am in the market to buy something cheap because I am very bored with my SVT --

Post away guys
Posted By: Tourige Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 07:21 AM
Fog Light mod
Clear Corners
Emblem Overlays
LED Changes
Tint Tail Lights/Rear reflecter
Eyelids
SVT logo on Side Skirt
Remove Intake Snorkle
Make a heat shield
Remove Hood Liner
TB clean/ optimize
Run a can of seafoam/berrymans through vac line
Throttle Hang Fix
Clean MAF
Debadge the car
Knauberize

There are lots of things, you can search anyone of those things and come up with lots of hits.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 08:19 AM
thats a good list-- if anyone made a how-to or anything feel free to post up links for what mod it is!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 09:53 AM
Why are you intent on making the members of CEG reinvent the wheel, simply because you don't feel like/refuse to search for it? Thw how-tos are already made, the knowledge already exists, the posts are already archived, and the information is already easily attainable.. you just have to click the "HOW-TO" thread under each forum (IMAGINE THAT!!)

Just because you don't want to read the how-to that is already made, doesn't mean that anyone else should have to write you your own special how-to!
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 03:20 PM
Plus , everyone seems to forget ... there is a MAIN SITE to the CEG !! There are lots of mods & How-To's on there & have been since way before the forums came to be .
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 03:59 PM
paint calipers
pre98 sail panels
hightower headlights
mystique clear corners(rear)
ebay intake
Posted By: Jason43 Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 05:49 PM
Gutted precats
Optimized y-pipe
OBX shifter(weld linkage before installing)
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 06:52 PM
remove reverse lockout
bumper hang fix
gutter guard mesh grills
Posted By: Tourige Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 07:50 PM
Originally posted by blu_fuz:
remove reverse lockout

Why....
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Ray:

Just because you don't want to read the how-to that is already made, doesn't mean that anyone else should have to write you your own special how-to!

Ray, I'd imagine someone of your 'posting caliber' would not falsely accuse-- For me to pass up already written how-to's would be stupid.. sorry to say but your accusation was wrong.. I'm just digging deeper to see if anyone since the old how to's have done anything new and has anything to share-- Not everyone is a 'addicted-CEG'er' like yourself, and not everyone would want to use the search function for these.. regardless of where they are located---

for all of those who have un-said ideas or how-to's, feel free to post them if you feel it can help anyone..

for all of those who think this is dumb, don't click the reply button and spare us--

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/26/06 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by blu_fuz:
remove reverse lockout

Why....

I did when I put in my B&M..didnt feel the need for it
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/27/06 12:01 AM
still a mod!

If friends of mine needed to use my car they would always comment on how GAY contours were and it was just one more thing for them to get fired up over, and I just didn't want to hear it. Plus when I got my new boot I secured it up higher also so you can't even see the sliding coller anymore - I like it.... any more questions?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/27/06 01:12 AM
that was my second mod many many years ago,right after my exhuast...
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/27/06 05:56 AM
Originally posted by B.Brattina:
not everyone would want to use the search function for these.. regardless of where they are located---

Well, then, you are missing the point entirely. When nobody posts on this thread for two days, and it drops off the bottom, we can all certainly look forward to "not everyone" wanting to SEARCH to find THIS THREAD EITHER. There is a REASON the how-tos are stickied. no searching required, because you already stumbled on to the truth: nobody wants to search; present company included apparently.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/27/06 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
not everyone would want to use the search function for these.. regardless of where they are located---

Well, then, you are missing the point entirely. When nobody posts on this thread for two days, and it drops off the bottom, we can all certainly look forward to "not everyone" wanting to SEARCH to find THIS THREAD EITHER. There is a REASON the how-tos are stickied. no searching required, because you already stumbled on to the truth: nobody wants to search; present company included apparently.

haha well, i must say, you do have a point on that-- and i'm done e-battling but, if it is going to go down very soon, i hope someone can benefit from the lists people have made-- i know i will
Posted By: muskamike Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/28/06 01:40 AM
you know what, I am glad this post was made. It brought up some cheap mod stuff I had forgotten.

Thanks.
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/28/06 03:31 AM
good
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/28/06 07:45 AM
Good- It even helped me as well- I hope someone else can hop on here and get a few quick ideas as well--

Another one to add to the list only because I don't recall seeing it on anyones post--

Roush numbers for your front bumper, or wherever you choose to put them--

I just PM'ed parkedcar, he said he still makes them ; I hope you don't mind the advertising
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/28/06 04:40 PM
Don't forget wash and wax. Most of the Contour's I see on a daily basis (not CEGer's obviously) have forgotten this, and it would truly be a mod for them!

I shouldn't talk though. Mine is a salt monster right now! Too cold to wash it! I'll do it this weekend no matter what!
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 02/28/06 08:48 PM
bumper hang fix too
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/03/06 09:05 PM
I am asking for all of you to post your relatively cheap (30-40$ and under) and if it was a do it yourself, possibly an explanation--

Here's mine -

Leather interior swap (7 pieces)
pre-98 trunk lid
pre-98 center console

Now, I know you're thinking, that's over $30-40. Find yourself a cheap parts car like I did. If you count each door panel and seat separately, then all three mods average out to: $305 (parts car) / 9 = $33.89 each.

With a little luck expensive mods can be had cheap cheap cheap!

I may still cut the roofs of the two cars and swap 'em so I have a factory moon roof. Hmmm... that'd bring the parts total for a moon roof to $30.50 if averaged in with the rest. Kick A$$.
Posted By: TGO Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
Plus , everyone seems to forget ... there is a MAIN SITE to the CEG !! There are lots of mods & How-To's on there & have been since way before the forums came to be .

the main site also hasn't been updated in eons.
Posted By: Tourige Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 05:45 AM
it still has info there, regardless
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 06:13 AM

regardless, i feel this thread has proven more useful for more people than the main site's info-- simply because no one wants to search--

just stumbled over a cool site for replacement sidemarkers in place of the '24 high output'-- they are different from the audi sidemarkers and look a helluva lot cooler

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=TCN%2D073020&N=115+400036+308328&autoview=sku

Posted By: A3ON Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 07:07 AM

regardless, i feel this thread has proven more useful for more people than the main site's info-- simply because no one wants to search--

just stumbled over a cool site for replacement sidemarkers in place of the '24 high output'-- they are different from the audi sidemarkers and look a helluva lot cooler

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=TCN%2D073020&N=115+400036+308328&autoview=sku

that would look to ricey imo
Posted By: Tourige Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 07:13 AM

Just because YOU dont want to search and look for things that have been anwsered dosent make it right, the Search button and FAQ's are there for a reason, give it 6 months and if your still anwsering the same questions from people over and over you'll get where im coming from.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 11:42 AM
here we go again-- ray already stated this earlier in the thread-- i say who gives a [censored], you didn't have to sit here and answer peoples questions and no one twisted your arm to post anywhere in this topic- if your sick of answering the same questions over and over again, don't make yourself liable to hit the reply button in threads you find annoying
Posted By: jitb Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 01:14 PM
the energy spent telling someone to search could have been used to help. good thread.. useful info.

my cheap mods were:

paint chrome accents black (grill - rear trunk trim) great if u have a black vehicle.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/04/06 06:37 PM
Originally posted by jitb:
the energy spent telling someone to search could have been used to help. good thread.. useful info.

my cheap mods were:

paint chrome accents black (grill - rear trunk trim) great if u have a black vehicle.

i can't wait til i get my front ring and strip on the back painted black-- I think it looks a lot cleaner without the random chrome tacked on there haha
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 03:41 AM
here we go again-- ray already stated this earlier in the thread-- i say who gives a [censored], you didn't have to sit here and answer peoples questions and no one twisted your arm to post anywhere in this topic- if your sick of answering the same questions over and over again, don't make yourself liable to hit the reply button in threads you find annoying

I agree completely. Not everyone has hours on top of hours to search every last archived and current post. Some of us have limited free time and need fast answers. Brattina is right...if it annoys you, don't read/answer it.
Posted By: Tourige Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 07:22 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

I agree completely. Not everyone has hours on top of hours to search every last archived and current post. Some of us have limited free time and need fast answers. Brattina is right...if it annoys you, don't read/answer it.

If you have limited time then you probably shouldent be on forums asking about simple mods to waste time on, i call [censored]. Like i said just cause you dont want to look or dont feel the need to dosent mean you shouldent. Everytime you post a thread always ask "HAS THIS BEEN ASKED BEFORE??" and search.

Jeez, so much lip from the newbrooks.
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 07:56 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

If you have limited time then you probably shouldent be on forums asking about simple mods to waste time on, i call [censored]. Like i said just cause you dont want to look or dont feel the need to dosent mean you shouldent. Everytime you post a thread always ask "HAS THIS BEEN ASKED BEFORE??" and search.

Jeez, so much lip from the newbrooks.

define 'newbrooks'.. cuz last time i checked, even you could search for something you want and your answers won't bring up what you want to see-- sometimes asking plain and simple brings up what you want to see faster than any search---

i'm pretty sick of the 'search' [censored]-- don't even post if your going to be a dick-head
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 02:37 PM
dont even post if your goin to be a [censored]....well so far you havnt been the nicest person either
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 03:56 PM
Alright... I've stated my stance, as others have. It would be helpful to search, even if you don't want to.

Bratina, and others, have stated their stance. That's the end of it. no good is coming from the arguments. No further name-calling, language filter skipping (or blatant cussing), or mean-hearted intents will be tolerated. This goes for everyone.

The topic was already started, so it can stay on topic of listing cheap mods, and ways to do them, or the thread can be locked for fighting.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 06:16 PM
Too many threads are ending up like this lately...
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/05/06 08:55 PM
lol, just lock it up ray -- i'm done trying to help
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/06/06 03:11 PM
Heat sheild cost me a total of $11 and 45 mins of my life. One of the best cheap mods I've ever done. You have an SVT so you can get the Decal overlays on Ebay or from someone on this site.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: "Official" Cheap Mods Thread - 03/06/06 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
or from someone on this site.

ALWAYS support your community!

Parkedcar offers TOP NOTCH quality and is always good to deal with.
© CEG Archives