Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 New steering wheel? - 02/23/06 07:45 PM
Anyone replaced theirs due to wear yet? Few things age [an otherwise nice] interior more than a crappy steering wheel and Bill J. has them for less than $200. Doesn't seem too hard to swap either. hmm...
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/23/06 07:50 PM
sure, buckshots steering wheel from his 2k was installed into SVTs 98 and now tour96SeVT has it in his car since he swapped the interior of SVTs car to his ... so two cars with that steering wheel have been rolled ...
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/23/06 07:52 PM
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/23/06 08:00 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
sure, buckshots steering wheel from his 2k was installed into SVTs 98 and now tour96SeVT has it in his car since he swapped the interior of SVTs car to his ... so two cars with that steering wheel have been rolled ...

thats bad jojo then...
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 03:43 AM
I looked into a Focus wheel once. It wasn't inexpensive enough to pursue, even if you could get one to match your interior, but I love the feel.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 04:28 AM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by BrApple:

thats bad jojo then...

true.. i havent rolled it yet,but i dont drive it enough to do that,maybe 5-6k a year...but i did seem to have unuasually bad luck with the police this summer(after the install)
Posted By: morbid Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 04:54 AM
I really like the Focus SVT wheel. It *supposedly* will physically fit... but the wiring is a little different, specifically for the airbag. I looked at wiring schematics, but electronics is not my strong point. It would be cool if someone, who was capable, could make some harness adaptors.
Posted By: dpa43_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 05:16 AM
Todras Posted this a while ago and the co. is still selling them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OE-FORD-CONTOUR-MYSTIQUE-SVT-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ8034652642QQtcZphoto
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 06:00 AM
i really like that steering wheel on ebay..Id do anything to throw this stock one out..its too thick and all the color is faded
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 12:47 PM
Originally posted by dpa43:
Todras Posted this a while ago and the co. is still selling them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OE-FORD-CONTOUR-MYSTIQUE-SVT-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ8034652642QQtcZphoto

Wow, I think I'll buy one this week.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 01:32 PM
CC buttons won't work with it.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 01:40 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Damn! Scratch that idea.

I'll just order a new one in the spring from Bill.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 02:52 PM
Plus you would have to dye it.
Posted By: SVT3391 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 07:06 PM
Originally posted by todras:

This is found with the description.

Originally posted by ebay:
These do NOT have the mounting brackets for the cruise control switches, so you will need to remove the brackets from your steering wheel or fabricate some brackets.

So maybe transferring the brackets from the old SVT wheel will work?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 07:21 PM
If it does then what are you going to do with the air bag? Paint it black? It's only going to look good in the right color interior. Actually it might look pimp in my tan/black interior. If someone wants to buy my tan one I'll buy the ebay wheel and install it. My wheel has vitually no wear. Pre98 quality baby. $25+shipping?

Posted By: JohnnyBravo Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 07:46 PM
If I remember from the initial post with that eBay wheel it apparently was from a Cougar. I don't believe that any Contiques came with a black interior (just black accents), but I could be wrong. Either way it's a great looking piece & I def need a new wheel for my SVT too. If there was a black airbag cover for it then that wouldn't look too bad I guess, but it'd be nice to have the "Ford" logo on there just for asthetic purposes.

If anybody figures out how to fit a Focus wheel in a Tour I'd be very interested in that info. A FSVT wheel/airbag would be a nice upgrade even if it was all black.
Posted By: rouar Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
i really like that steering wheel on ebay..Id do anything to throw this stock one out..its too thick and all the color is faded

hah .. if you think the leather steering wheels are too thick, try using the non-leather ones (as was in my car) .. HTM once referred to them as "elephant hide" .. quite right ..

I sat in Brapple's 99 SE once and was like 'this steering wheel is tiny!'
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 02/24/06 08:51 PM
It is an early Cougar wheel. I believe they changed to a more angular styled wheel in 01. The one in my brothers looks a bit different.

Early wheel.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: New steering wheel? - 02/25/06 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

Dang, that steering wheel is NICE! And not too much $$!
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: New steering wheel? - 02/25/06 03:13 PM
Todras! My pre98 wheel got really poopy at around 130,000 - I replaced mine with a svt steering wheel with my SE bag:

you can see in the pic that the leather seams on the wheel are next to the buttons, that is a SVT wheel and pre98 wheels have the seams on the wheel under the bag.

Posted By: JTod_dup1 Re: New steering wheel? - 03/01/06 05:15 AM
I bought an SVT replacement steering wheel from Bill Jenkins about a year and a half ago, seems like it cost about $150 or so. Glad I did, really makes the car seem new again. I bought my SVT with 21,000 miles and the PO must have eaten in the car a lot or something because the wheel was pretty nasty.

The ebay wheel looks like a great deal but it would look odd with a purple airbag IMHO.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: New steering wheel? - 03/01/06 05:57 AM
its $171.99 for a new steering wheel w/SVT package from Bill..
© CEG Archives