Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Kyle Gilligan '95 transition to a '98 - 01/13/06 02:37 PM
i recently got into an accident with my '95 contour. i need a new hood, and was looking around in junk yards. my friend said he has a '98 hood in my color and i was wondering if i were to but a '98 grill and '98 headlights if this would fit in somewhat ok. if anyone knows or if anyone has tried this please reply for me.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/13/06 03:00 PM
This guy is doing it right now. You may want to contact him... But I'm thinking its more work then you want to get yourself into
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/13/06 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Kyle Gilligan:
i recently got into an accident with my '95 contour. i need a new hood, and was looking around in junk yards. my friend said he has a '98 hood in my color and i was wondering if i were to but a '98 grill and '98 headlights if this would fit in somewhat ok. if anyone knows or if anyone has tried this please reply for me.

You also are going to need the 98 fenders and 98 front bumper, and you will need the 98 mount pannel. As well as the headlights and grill.
Posted By: rouar Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/13/06 03:18 PM
Not just grille and headlights .. bumper and fenders too at the least, probably more. It's only really worth the cost if you either plan to keep the car forever or already have it extensively modded (as tour96se does).

EDIT: bah! AliasJerk
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/14/06 04:31 AM
I read a while back that you need to modify the subframe corners so the headlights will clear.

Might as well just swap the whole front clip...
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/14/06 04:41 AM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Not just grille and headlights .. bumper and fenders too at the least, probably more. It's only really worth the cost if you either plan to keep the car forever or already have it extensively modded (as tour96se does).

I win
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/14/06 06:19 AM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Originally posted by 98 SE:

I win

"Why do you win?"

"Because I win."

"Hey what's that game called your playing?"

"I WIN!"

From Big Daddy in case anyone don't know.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/14/06 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Kane:
I read a while back that you need to modify the subframe corners so the headlights will clear.

Might as well just swap the whole front clip...

correct...amongst other things
Posted By: Rodewaryer Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/15/06 02:07 PM
Do it man! Do it! Don't let a bit of challenge stop you. I think the hood deal in the same color is enough to start the ball rolling.

We had an '05 Focus guy in Dezert Focus change that ugly new front end to an '04, which meant the same sorts of challenges and he shopped for all correctly colored parts and didn't end up having to paint anything. Very nice job and he hadn't damaged the car, just wanted to get the good front end looks back. It was well worth it.....
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/15/06 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Rodewaryer:
Do it man! Do it! Don't let a bit of challenge stop you. I think the hood deal in the same color is enough to start the ball rolling.

We had an '05 Focus guy in Dezert Focus change that ugly new front end to an '04, which meant the same sorts of challenges and he shopped for all correctly colored parts and didn't end up having to paint anything. Very nice job and he hadn't damaged the car, just wanted to get the good front end looks back. It was well worth it.....

i wish i would've been that lucky...i thought i was gonna be able to do that,but the guy decided to keep the whole car(sentamental reasons)...so i have white fenders and hood,primer gray header panel and a silver frost svt front bumper...
Posted By: MazTour Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/15/06 08:47 PM
or you could buy either one of my running '95 Contours for $1000.
Posted By: Rodewaryer Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/17/06 11:16 AM
Bummer, is your car basically white, or....?

Paint is a very sensitive subject, you pretty much just get what you pay for unless you're bloody lucky. I've never been lucky so I paid $850 to paint a CF Hood, my wing (3 pieces) and a billet aluminum fuel door. Well spent though as it was really nice workmanship, way better than the stock paint. I don't know how ask for factory orange peel...

So in your case probably quite a bit, and people that know someone in the body/paint business are about as lucky as those that know a lawyer or a pig.....

Good luck to you!
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: '95 transition to a '98 - 01/17/06 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Rodewaryer:
...people that know someone in the body/paint business are about as lucky as those that know a lawyer or a pig...

You said it!
© CEG Archives