Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rtoney setting idle - 12/21/05 08:22 PM
How do you set the idle on a 1995 V6?
The oil light is coming on when you pull up to a stop and I think it may just be idling to low.
If someone thinks there might be another problem let me know.
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: Stazi Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 08:34 PM
Idle is ECU controlled there is no override or adjustment. Stock idle is 700-750 rpms.

1) Obvious first question - did you check the oil?
2) Any abnormal noises (knocking)?
3) Mileage?
4) Check Engine Light on?
Posted By: rtoney Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 08:36 PM
Oil is fine.
Engine just rebuilt.
Engine light is not on.
No engine noise.

Thanks
Rick
Posted By: Stazi Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 08:45 PM
Weird. Without an REAL oil pressure guage I'd be guessing from here.

1)Has it been doing it ever since the motor was rebuilt?

2)What is is idling at?

Posted By: rtoney Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 08:51 PM
yep, since it was rebuilt.
The history on the rebuild is a story in itself. And I don't think the mechanics ever want to see this car again. There are not many that have the smarts to work on a Duratech I guess.
The car runs good except for a cold hesitation but once the motor warms up it's good to go.
It idles at 700-800 now.
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: Stazi Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 08:54 PM
Sounds like the asshat that rebuilt it either damaged the oil pressure sender or used the wrong one.
Posted By: rtoney Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 08:58 PM
Is the oil pressure sender enternal or can it be replaced from the outside.
They actually put alot of work into the engine, like I say I just think that it may be a tough one to work on. These guys were the only ones in a city of 200,000 that would even consider rebuilting it.
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: Stazi Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 09:02 PM
Your location?

Nonetheless - the oil sender is behind the A/C compressor - it can be replaced but it is a PITA!
Posted By: rtoney Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 09:08 PM
Springfield, MO.

It sounds like something that I might be able to change myself.
I'm an office jocking that's used to throwing tools. I may give it a try.
Thanks
Rick
Posted By: lizard Re: setting idle - 12/21/05 09:49 PM
my car does the same thing but only when the heat is on high and my system is cranked way up. so im thinking its just because i have a bad alt. i just have my foot on the gas at stop lights when im cold. and my idle is 500. it has always been.
Posted By: Tabari Re: setting idle - 12/22/05 02:12 AM
My 99 SVT (made in june 99)also idles at 500-525 I dont know what else to do to make it go to 750 like it should the motor is smooth as butter otherwise. any ideas?
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: setting idle - 12/22/05 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Idle is ECU controlled there is no override or adjustment. Stock idle is 700-750 rpms.

not entirely correct. once you start driving, yes, the ECU will correct any high/low idle to the best of it's ability. when you first start up, you can adjust the idle with a clip on the throttle cable (the clip goes over a small section of the cable with a whole bunch of ridges). I dunno if this is 95 V6 specific or not, but I've done it on my car when struggling with IAC stalling at startup.
Posted By: gearhead_dup1 Re: setting idle - 12/22/05 04:45 AM
Mine actually has a threaded mechanical stop for the throttle linkage. I had to give it a few turns to keep the idle up before I replaced my IAC a while back. Worked fine....
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: setting idle - 12/22/05 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Tabari:
My 99 SVT (made in june 99)also idles at 500-525 I dont know what else to do to make it go to 750 like it should the motor is smooth as butter otherwise. any ideas?

Clean the throttle body. A dirty throttle body will often create a low idle speed. While you are at it, clean the IAC as well.
© CEG Archives