Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GilNewball Ram Air... - 12/14/05 04:19 AM
And I searched, but no satisfactory answer...

Anyhoo, has anyone ever fabricated a ram air hood scoop? Or homebuilt ram air on their cars? I'm thinking of doing it, but I'm not sure. I don't want to buy a new hood, but I do want the hood to look very different.
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: Ram Air... - 12/14/05 04:35 AM
look what i found
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Ram Air... - 12/14/05 09:49 PM
You would have to drive triple digits to get any type of "ram-air" effect with a proper pro-scoop. Then once you got it, it would make the MAF signal erratic and require special tuning.

The short story is that "Ram-air" as described anywhere but in pro-street style drag racing is nothing more then a marketing gimmic.
Posted By: GreaseyMonkey Re: Ram Air... - 12/14/05 10:19 PM
are you thinking like the one on the right on this hood?

http://www.contour.org/carprofile/files/119/img/Hood_Complete.jpg
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Ram Air... - 12/14/05 10:51 PM
those look like nipples
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/16/05 01:52 AM
Originally posted by GreaseyMonkey:
are you thinking like the one on the right on this hood?

http://www.contour.org/carprofile/files/119/img/Hood_Complete.jpg

Something like that, only a little bigger. About the size of one found on a Subaru WRX. Maybe a little taller.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever fabricated their own hood or hood components. I was just planning on cutting out a good chink of hood off and replacing with a large composite scoop. Not a small NACA scoop like that one.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Ram Air... - 12/16/05 07:48 AM
i have a question... WHY??? what purpose, unless you have a TMIC which i know you dont, there is no other reason for it, the possible gains in the "colder" air you would get into the intake from a hoodscoop is negligable. for your money you could get a nice Bosal or some MSDS headers.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: Ram Air... - 12/16/05 06:41 PM
for the money?
how much does it cost to cut a hole in the hood and slap a piece of plastic over it?
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/16/05 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
i have a question... WHY??? what purpose, unless you have a TMIC which i know you dont, there is no other reason for it, the possible gains in the "colder" air you would get into the intake from a hoodscoop is negligable. for your money you could get a nice Bosal or some MSDS headers.

The big question is WHY???

Why do people modify their cars? Heck, why do people modify a Contour? I see no reason to modify such an odd looking car. Just as how you see no reason to cut a chunk of hood and extend the airbox. Now that I have a contour, I'll just make lemonade with my lemon.

I choose to fabricate rather than buy. It's a little cheaper, and I know of a couple of places to buy raw composites adn catalysts to build such things. Just reapplying aviation technology to cars, is all.

And I want to apply my composite handy-work in building something small, and THEN move to building a kitplane.

And, I just want to see if it can be done while keeping as stock as possible.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Ram Air... - 12/17/05 02:05 AM
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
Originally posted by Tourige:

The big question is WHY???

Why do people modify their cars? Heck, why do people modify a Contour? I see no reason to modify such an odd looking car. Just as how you see no reason to cut a chunk of hood and extend the airbox. Now that I have a contour, I'll just make lemonade with my lemon.

I choose to fabricate rather than buy. It's a little cheaper, and I know of a couple of places to buy raw composites adn catalysts to build such things. Just reapplying aviation technology to cars, is all.

And I want to apply my composite handy-work in building something small, and THEN move to building a kitplane.

And, I just want to see if it can be done while keeping as stock as possible.

Because this is a contour forum and not everyone has a POS contour, some people got good ones AND know how to take care of them!
You obviously have never driven an SVT.

Also, why must you keep bringing up pilot references anyway? What do you fly? I hope its an F16 or something worth justfying your consistent post patterns.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Ram Air... - 12/17/05 05:15 AM
Modifying a car by putting an exhaust or intake on is a little different than cutting a hole into the hood expecting anything to come of it.
Posted By: GreaseyMonkey Re: Ram Air... - 12/17/05 09:49 PM
either way, you'd be better off with the NACA that i showed you than a standing hood scoop.
not that the contour really gets to speeds that justify the realistic benefits, but the NACA doesn't hinder aerodynamics at all, whereas ANY standing hood scoop does, no matter how much air it can suck in.
plus the way it is designed, a NACA can do a far-better job of vacuuming the air into the engine (also making it colder) than more standing scoops than you'd probably believe.

read into it a bit more, and i think you might be convinced to go with the naca.
i know i will be come spring.
i still have to convince Stazi do do the work for me, though
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/17/05 10:38 PM
I've seen several NACA scoops. I haven't been able to find wind tunnel data yet, though. But I'll look.

Thanks for the help!

Guys, are you annoyed by my "pilot references". I'm just kinda ranty about it simply because I haven't been in the cockpit of a plane in over a year, and I'm pissed as hell about it. I guess pilots and normal people can't really get along, eh? Sorry guys. My wings of gold are tarnishing.
Posted By: morbid Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 04:29 AM
The scoop on the WRX is to feed air through the intercooler (top mounted), not for the intake. I think the scoopless turbo Subarus have front mounted intercoolers.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 04:38 AM
I was just planning on cutting out a good chink of hood off

I find this offensive.

And I never knew there was a difference between pilots and "normal people". Warmonger is a real pilot, guess he can't get along with us normal people anymore.
Posted By: muntus Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
those look like nipples

I wonder what it looks like when its not cold out?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 02:42 PM
I guess pilots and normal people can't really get along, eh? Sorry guys. My wings of gold are tarnishing.

You're so dillusional it's starting to scare me, dude - get a grip of REALITY!!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

You're so dillusional it's starting to scare me, dude - get a grip of REALITY!!

What do you mean by starting?
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I was just planning on cutting out a good chink of hood off

I find this offensive.

And I never knew there was a difference between pilots and "normal people". Warmonger is a real pilot, guess he can't get along with us normal people anymore.

Whoa, I wrote THAT? I meant CHUNK.

qwertyUIop, see. The U is next to the I. Sorry. That was the LAST thing I would have intended to write.

And I'm not a car person. Thus, I'm not normal to you guys.

Anyhoo, it's a dead issue. I was only wondering if anyone had done it before, and what I would expect if I did it. I really doubt I'd do it anyway. I was just curious.

Damn, just asking a question is enough to ruffle peoples' feathers! Why is everyone so touchy? Is it because I am breathing? Send an HGU-4/P helmet and I'll breathe my own air if you want. I was just asking a friggin question.
Posted By: weargle Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 08:27 PM
ust reapplying aviation technology to cars, is all.

"Ram air" is a fallacy that doesn't work on cars. You can't "reapply" aviation technology because cars don't go fast enough to benefit from any ram air, and MAFs wouldn't allow that anyway. Somewhere, someone in GM's marketing department is snickering at you.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/20/05 09:08 PM
Heh. I wouldn't be surprised.

But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they were scared out of their wits in light turbulence.

Really, I just wanted to see if it was done before, and I just wanted to know what to expect IF it took this "challenge".

Seriously, I was just asking a question because I was bored, and looking how to "make lemonade" out of my lemon, is all. Now I know where not to ask.
Posted By: stilov Re: Ram Air... - 12/23/05 04:10 AM

This NACA duct fed my top mount in my contour (1st turbo build) I am on my 2nd that will actually use an ait/water intercooler.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/27/05 07:37 PM
I'll take a GOOD look on NACA ducts. I've got places where I can buy the really good stuf for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

Thanks.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Ram Air... - 12/27/05 11:18 PM
man your wierd
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/28/05 12:57 AM
i know
Posted By: stilov Re: Ram Air... - 12/28/05 05:03 AM
mine came from the UK
Posted By: MazTour Re: Ram Air... - 12/30/05 03:45 AM
I'm sorry,but those naca ducts are just gross. they look like they don't even fit right.
and those fake vents on that beige car are horrible.

gilroy
Posted By: Tourige Re: Ram Air... - 12/30/05 04:31 AM
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
I'm sorry,but those naca ducts are just gross. they look like they don't even fit right.
and those fake vents on that beige car are horrible.

gilroy

+1, Looks tacked on, but he had a TMIC(a small one i bet)
Posted By: stilov Re: Ram Air... - 12/30/05 05:53 AM
well if you lined your car up with mine...you would need to worry about seeing the duct in the front of the car.

But I will tell you the rear end of my car is extra nice looking.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Ram Air... - 12/30/05 06:09 AM
yea yea, talk to me in 2 years when i get the Cobra . nice car tho
Posted By: stilov Re: Ram Air... - 12/30/05 06:37 AM
well I have been laying low with my new build...you'll see and hear about my car
Posted By: Tourige Re: Ram Air... - 12/30/05 07:30 AM
What car are you building? The tour? unless your real name is LTHLPSI and u lurk on SVTperformance
Posted By: MazTour Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 12:20 AM
Originally posted by stilov:
well if you lined your car up with mine...you would need to worry about seeing the duct in the front of the car.

But I will tell you the rear end of my car is extra nice looking.

haha,my car is slow. I'm not knocking the duct's fucntional ability,because it works,especially with having a TMIC,it just isn't pleasing to the eye. But in most cases: Function over form.

But Gilroy is just stupid. "Let's put ram air on a stock Contour and make it as fast as a plane!"
Posted By: stilov Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 12:42 AM
NO...I know I am giving you a hard time. I know everyone has their own opinions, but I do like the look of mine and the fact that it had/has function was cool too.

I *think* and I may be wrong, but many things that ricers "do" are labeled ugly only because they have no function.

Ex. wings on accords, civics etc...but you don't hear nearly the complaints about wings on say a an MKIV Supra, or Evo or STi (although you do still get some)
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 01:26 AM

But Gilroy is just stupid. "Let's put ram air on a stock Contour and make it as fast as a plane!"

I said that?

Trying to make lemonade with the only lemon I have.

But I was deeply discouraged on doing it because so many people have animosity towards doing such things.

Oh well...
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 02:19 AM

I said that?

But I was deeply discouraged on doing it because so many people have animosity towards doing such things.

Oh well...

I never saw a post that said he wanted 298756 hoprepower from this. Mabye he just wants it for looks. In that case, I say go for it man. Its your car, do whatever you want to it.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 02:29 AM

That's be just about enough of this...

I don't car if you don't LIKE Gilroy.. don't AGREE with him, or wish he would leave.

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. If you don't want to do that, then just.. IGNORE HIM.. This is the same "advice" I would give to someone that doesn't like you..

that's just common sense, and COURTESY. this goes for EVERYONE. There's been about enough of the belittling and ribbing on him.

Ray
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 09:01 AM

dude, if youre a private citizen and a pilot (ie non-military) AND youre planning on building a kit plane, youve obviously got some money. why on earth are you driving a contour and then complaining about it?? why dont you go buy a nice 3 series or something? hell, if i was a pilot, i wouldnt want to be seen rolling up to airport in a contour. no offense meant, but obviously you dont care for the car so why not get something else?

btw, when you finally do get your kit plane going, dont let the rich boys with "real airplanes" hassle you too much
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 01:45 PM
Originally posted by svt4stv:

dude, if youre a private citizen and a pilot (ie non-military) AND youre planning on building a kit plane, youve obviously got some money. why on earth are you driving a contour and then complaining about it?? why dont you go buy a nice 3 series or something? hell, if i was a pilot, i wouldnt want to be seen rolling up to airport in a contour. no offense meant, but obviously you dont care for the car so why not get something else?

btw, when you finally do get your kit plane going, dont let the rich boys with "real airplanes" hassle you too much

Steve, I agree with your theory 100%.

But THIS Gilroy guy is a damn assclown......another run-of-the-mill, internet BS-artist. My thoughts - he probably is making all this "pilot" crap up. I should know, I looked into becoming a pilot about 12 years ago and the thing stopping me was the cost of licensing and the cost of the "hours" themselves. People that had money to do it weren't driving POS cars that had all this problems he dscribes, poor mileage, bad shifting, barely running, etc. - like his Contour sounds like it's doing.

Once Chad's (Stryped) cousing, Gilroy decides to stop spouting off BS about being a pilot, and especially on how he is this higher being, superior to the rest of us then we may cut him some slack, but sorry moderators, till then I will ride him like the assclown he is!
Posted By: jthursby Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 02:48 PM
Originally posted by svt4stv:

Steve, I agree with your theory 100%.

But THIS Gilroy guy is a damn assclown......another run-of-the-mill, internet BS-artist. My thoughts - he probably is making all this "pilot" crap up. I should know, I looked into becoming a pilot about 12 years ago and the thing stopping me was the cost of licensing and the cost of the "hours" themselves. People that had money to do it weren't driving POS cars that had all this problems he dscribes, poor mileage, bad shifting, barely running, etc. - like his Contour sounds like it's doing.

Once Chad's (Stryped) cousing, Gilroy decides to stop spouting off BS about being a pilot, and especially on how he is this higher being, superior to the rest of us then we may cut him some slack, but sorry moderators, till then I will ride him like the assclown he is!

Hmmm. I drive a Contour, I fly planes, It's all about priorities. I drive a five year old car, A. because I like the damn thing. B. Because it allows me to do things like buy a new Triumph Sprint and go flying whenever I please. And C. I own it, it owes me nothing. And no I dont live in a trailer I just bought a $317,000 (damn) house so I do spend it! You could have become a pilot for the price of the mods on your SVT Stazi. Like I said, priorities. Sure Gilroy is annoying about flying, but he's passionate about it and not a lot of people can say that about anything in their life.

Jim T.
Heck I like the damn car so much your going to get to do the 3.0 on it soon Staz!
Hey. I'm close enough to take him up and see if he's half the pilot he claims.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 02:54 PM
Jim,
Kudos to you!
I wish I had rich parents that could've put me through flight school, but I didn't. So I went to state University and became an engineer instead. It's too late for me to switch careers now so that's why I spend my money on my car and have it like it is.

Gilroy" on the other habd complains about his car and rather than have it serviced and given a tune-up so it runs properly. He [censored] and comes up with hare-brain schemes to extend it mileage by trying to figure out how to install a bigger fuel tank rather than maybe give it the tune-up it needs. Therefore he's an assclwn. I'm not riping on pilots at all - remember I wanted to be one myself. I'm ripping on his BS, wnnabe-elitist, attitude.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 04:15 PM
Jim,
Kudos to you!
I wish I had rich parents that could've put me through flight school, but I didn't. So I went to state University and became an engineer instead. It's too late for me to switch careers now so that's why I spend my money on my car and have it like it is.

I wish, I did it myself. I chose NOT to pursue a flying career because I didn't want to "starve" for the ten years it takes to make captain. I have a buddy who flys for Masaba? I think is the name, he's been there like 6 years and makes $31,000 a year. Insane. But as a (expensive) hobby I love it. But aren't most mens hobbys expensive? And you might be able to afford more than you think, If you could put $4,000 down at a flight school and fly at least three times a week you would have your ticket in less than six months. I'll have my instrutor rating soon so who knows?

Gilroy" on the other habd complains about his car and rather than have it serviced and given a tune-up so it runs properly. He [censored] and comes up with hare-brain schemes to extend it mileage by trying to figure out how to install a bigger fuel tank rather than maybe give it the tune-up it needs. Therefore he's an assclwn. I'm not riping on pilots at all - remember I wanted to be one myself. I'm ripping on his BS, wnnabe-elitist, attitude.

Yes he does need to stfu about it. You or I wouldn't go on a aircraft newsgroup and rip the aircraft up and down, and he needs to respect this place also. Problem is the anonomimity (is that a word?)of the internet. Most people would not act like they do on the internet if it was a face to face situation. It's breeding a whole generation of inconsiderate, obnoxious, assclowns that care about nothing but "me me me".

Jim T.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Ram Air... - 12/31/05 05:11 PM
Enough is enough.

Ray already stated to quit the flaming and yet it continues. I don't care who you are, how "respected" you are on CEG, how much you know, rules are rules.

Everyone in this thread is being warned publicly. 1 week bans will follow for any further rules violations.
© CEG Archives