Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/02/05 01:39 PM
I'm looking for info on the SuperSport hood lift struts . How do they mount / look , etc . If you have 'em , do you have / can you take a couple piccys for me ??

I searched & came up about nill on info .

Thanks !
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/02/05 02:01 PM
never heard of that brand, i have the Redline Tuning kit

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/02/05 04:08 PM
yea the redling tuning kit is pretty good..I have it
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/03/05 12:55 AM
Do the "bottom" of the Redline ones bolt into where one of the the fender bolts was ?? Or do you have to drill a hole ? I realize that the top one goes into a hood hinge bolt hole , just unsure about the bottom .
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/03/05 01:16 AM
instructions tell you to drill a hole but I don't see why you couldn't use the fender bolt location

the kit as installed opens the hood about 3 more inches then the stock prop rod
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/03/05 02:07 PM
Very satisfied redline customer here.

I bought mine off ebay, unused, and it was missing the bolts. Redline hooked me up and it installed nicely.
Posted By: R_G Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/03/05 04:34 PM
I have Red Line on our both cars (installed in a different way than BrApple) and very happy with the reuslts:

Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/03/05 07:50 PM
if i'm correct the supersport struts are the ones we got in a group buy years back, they were from europe. i have them and like them better than the redlines simply because they required no drilling plus the bolts broke when i try to install the redline kit so i put the polished struts back on, now i just have to paint them black. i found a link for focus euro parts and they have hood struts that look identical to mine for the contour. if they are then u can just order them and hope they use the same size strut and bolts. though i recall they say u have to drill two holes in the focus. maybe that wont be the case for the contour with them

focus hood struts

i thought i had some pics of them in my sig. i'll take a pic soon for u of how they look
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 12:10 AM
Originally posted by R_G:
I have Red Line on our both cars (installed in a different way than BrApple) and very happy with the reuslts:

yeah I turned mine around after SZ05 when I saw people had them the other way, but either worked but I think the clearence is better the way you have them pictured and as I now have them
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 02:34 AM
Thanks for the replies/pics guys .

Hmouta - Sounds like you may have the same ones (stainless/chrome strut) . They do appear to need no drilling ... I'm trying to find out more info on 'em . If you could take some pics of 'em , I'd really appreciate it . They mount to the front hood bolt & one of the fender bolts , right ??

Thanks again !
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 04:16 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:
never heard of that brand, i have the Redline Tuning kit

I have the Redline Tuning Kit on my car too.Ever since I installed it, my hood doesn't sit flush with the fenders. It makes the hood stick up a little leaving a little gap, which I hate.
Anyone else have this problem?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 04:30 AM
I got the struts from the GB from the company in the UK also. Mine died when I got my front-end smakced, I think it tweeked them and popped the gas. Whatever, they don't work.

These struts installed using existing holes. They came with 2 ball studs and if you remove the 4 bolts (2 from fender, 2 from hood) they install with no drilling. I need some replacements as I ahve gone back to using my prop-rod :angry:. Glad I didn't drill out the rivets for the plastic thing on the hood.

Here are mine shortly after I installed them:

If those Focus ones fit, I am all over them!
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 04:37 AM
I just sent them an enquiry asking for a length, hopefully they are the same!

I'll keep ya'll posted! Cross your figners for me!
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 05:03 AM
eric i remember u asking me about them. i just came across that website last nite so hopefully they are the same. if they can tell u the length then were in business. will be good to know where to order replacements.

bubba, yes they require no drilling at add. filed down the 2 bolt heads a bit that are on the fender below the hood hinges to give the struts a touch more clearance. they rub a very slight bit on this stock bolt head.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 05:04 AM
in erics pic u can see the 2 bolts. its the one closer to the firewall. mine rubbed just a little bit
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 05:35 AM
Originally posted by hmouta:
eric i remember u asking me about them. i just came across that website last nite so hopefully they are the same. if they can tell u the length then were in business. will be good to know where to order replacements.

I thought it was you I asked, but my memory is failing m the older I get! I am screwd if it is this bad at 26! you set up the original group buy from the UK, didn't you?
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 08:58 PM
Thanks for the pic , Eric . I noticed you mounted yours in the rear/lower hood hinge bolts ... any reason for that ??
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 09:10 PM
it might give jsut a little more lift out of it so the hood is up further, think of how thw pivot point at a lower point increases the overall lift.
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/04/05 09:26 PM
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:
it might give jsut a little more lift out of it so the hood is up further, think of how thw pivot point at a lower point increases the overall lift.

Also decreases the amount of pressure holding the hood up . I guess as long as the hood stays up if there's a breeze .
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/05/05 04:03 AM
No reason for the bolt placement, that is where Outlawd and I put them, not much thought went into it.

If those Focus ones work out, perhaps I should switch them to the upper bolt though.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/05/05 04:14 AM
mine is in the same bolt on the hinge. thats where it works. others tried the top bolt on the hinge and it didnt work right. i've had them for years now and never had one single issue with opening closing the hood. the hood is held open just fine and is lifted higher than stock too.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/05/05 03:58 PM
I also have never had a problem and didn't remember even trying them anywhere else.

Ok, this place is a PIA to deal with. I have removed their info e-mail address so they don't get hit by spam, but if anybody wants it to prove how interested in these kits we are, PM me and I can send it to you. So far this is what I have sent and received:

Quote:

Sascha,

Can you please give me the compressed length?

Can you please also give me the shipping rate you use to ship to the US, what forms of payment you accept and anything else I might need to order these from you if I find they are correct?

Where are you located?

Best Regards,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:58 AM
To: 'Eric Lewin'
Subject: AW: Enquiry from European-Parts

Extended.

I can ship anywhere in the world.

Sascha

-----Urspr�¼ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Eric Lewin [mailto:svt1675@]
Gesendet: Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 15:26
An: 'European-Parts'
Betreff: RE: Enquiry from European-Parts

Are you saying that you can not ship to the US? Is 40cm extended or compressed?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 7:56 AM
To: 'Eric Lewin'
Subject: AW: Enquiry from European-Parts

Wow, I cant help you really. They are about 40cm long in total and the gas chamber is 20cm long.

-----Urspr�¼ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Eric Lewin [mailto:svt1675]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 4. Dezember 2005 05:36
An: European-Parts
Betreff: Enquiry from European-Parts

I am interested in the Focus hood struts you offer on your site, listed here: http://www.europeanparts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=264

However, these are not for a Focus, but a Contour, the same as the Mondeo. Would you be able to give some dimensions of the struts? Like overall length extended and compressed. These look identical to a set I purchased years ago from another compnay in the UK that has since gone out of business. I am in need of replacements and would appreciate your help greatly.

If these are the same, can you give me a rough estimate on the price of shipping to the United States, to Kansas, zip 66083.

Thank you very much in advance and I hope we can do business soon! If these work, I am sure there are many Contour owners that would be interested in
purchasing these.

Best Regards,
Eric Lewin

Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/12/05 06:19 AM
sounds like when the hood is open they r 40cm and just the lower gas chamber is 20cm. eric do u still have yours on your car? i'll try to measure mine. but if the gas chamber is 20cm on ours like the ones for the focus, then they should fit. a shipping quote would be nice. the site has a link to convert all pricing to the dollar and a set costs like 35. i remember the group buy being like 80ish maybe.

sidenote, i had removed mine to have them powdercoated black but remembered they were gas filled. i doubt u can pc them for this reason. anyone know of any other processes short of painting them to color them? the polish finish shows thru the crack of the hood/fender on my black car. this isnt a problem for silver tours.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/13/05 03:08 AM
Phew, I had lost track of this thread with my finlas now over, I can concentrate on this!

Ok, the place e-mailed me back again, The compressed is about 25cm. They can ship to the us for 16 EUR airmail. And they gave me their paypal address.

I don't have a metric-abled measuring device at home, I'll have to bring one from work tomorrow and check them out as they are still on my car, along with the prop-rod.

Assuming these work, anybody else want a set so we can combine shipping? I would ahve to have you paypal me the $$ then I will order and ship to you.

Think it over and once we measure, we're set! Cross your figners as these are awesome struts if they are the same!
Posted By: epattonm Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/13/05 05:52 AM
I'd consider it. PM me with US prices. Thanks

~Eric (P) haha
Posted By: jthursby Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/13/05 01:39 PM
Put me down for a set.

Jim
Posted By: svt1999 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/14/05 03:18 AM
send me pricing as well
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/14/05 03:24 AM
Please keep this in mind all (my disclaimer):

We are looking at approximately $50-60 by the time I get them shipped to your door. There is a chance they might not fit, in which case it probably won't be worth the effort & shipping costs to return them.

I will measure them and have somebody double check my measuring, but I don't want people getting all pissed off at me if they don't work for some reason.

Like I said, just a little CYA on my side And with all of that said for the reasons above, I don't want to order a lot of these if everything measures out. That way only a few of us get burned/ take one for the team!
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/14/05 01:09 PM
I'll see if I can get a measurement of the SuperSport hood struts I just got (from a CEGer) .

I test-fit 'em & the only conclusion I came to , was that they fit better , mounted in the rear-most holes of the hood hinges . When they're mounted in the front hood hinge bolts , it almost seems like they're a bit too long & seem to bottom out or something (with the hood closed) , which makes the hood go all catty-wampus , forcing it back , and twisting the fender flange a bit . It hits a bit on a fender bolt back in the hinge area too , but that's not the issue . Mounted in the rear hood hinge holes , they clear everything just fine , but don't have much in the way of hood-holding power & will probably clobber me in the back of my head when I least expect it .
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/15/05 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
I'll see if I can get a measurement of the SuperSport hood struts I just got (from a CEGer) .

I test-fit 'em & the only conclusion I came to , was that they fit better , mounted in the rear-most holes of the hood hinges . When they're mounted in the front hood hinge bolts , it almost seems like they're a bit too long & seem to bottom out or something (with the hood closed) , which makes the hood go all catty-wampus , forcing it back , and twisting the fender flange a bit . It hits a bit on a fender bolt back in the hinge area too , but that's not the issue . Mounted in the rear hood hinge holes , they clear everything just fine , but don't have much in the way of hood-holding power & will probably clobber me in the back of my head when I least expect it .

r the supersport struts u just got the ones from a ceger from the groupbuy from a few years ago? unless their blown out, they should easily hold the hood up.

eric, these r the converted numbers that were mentioned

20cm=7.84in
25cm=9.84in
40cm=15.75in
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/16/05 04:54 AM
Thanks, I actualy remembered to bring my metric tape home!

I hope to get a measurement this weekend and will let ya'll know!
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/22/05 01:29 PM
I measured my SuperSport struts this morning (sorry for the delay ) .
The "overall" lengths (measured from outermost tip to outermost tip) are :
open - 17�¾" (45.085 cm)
closed - 10 3/8" (26.352 cm)

measured from stud (center) to stud (center) , it's about �¼" less on each end (or �½" combined ) .

open - 17�¼" (43.815 cm)
closed - 9 7/8" (25.082 cm)
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/22/05 01:48 PM
Allen,

I sent off an email last week to the company that did the original group buy for us on these (I still have my actual receipt!). I have not heard anything back yet, so I may have to send them another email, but they do still have what appears to be a fully functioning webspace that is selling parts.

Rick
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/23/05 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Allen,

I sent off an email last week to the company that did the original group buy for us on these (I still have my actual receipt!). I have not heard anything back yet, so I may have to send them another email, but they do still have what appears to be a fully functioning webspace that is selling parts.

Rick

You're like me ... never throw away a receipt , never know when you might need it ! I'd be interested in knowing about which company it was , in case I need a replacement or whatever . Maybe we need another GB too ?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 12/24/05 12:36 AM
I hope to be able to get one of my struts off this weekend and measured, will report bhack. I mean it this time.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/04/06 03:51 AM
Ok, I just got done installing a supersport hood kit, and my drivers side doesn't sit level and IT IS ANNOYING ME. What confuses me is that the passenger side sits fine and I did nothing different between the two sides. I used the same holes and tried swapping the two struts just in case but nothing changed. It doesn't appear to be anything hitting or touching so WHAT CAN I DO?

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/04/06 04:02 AM
Got a big hammer?
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/05/06 03:37 AM
It appears that it's still level at the rear corner of the hood , or am I not seeing it right ? To me it looks like it's bowed in the middle of the hood line , which is weird . If it's bowing in the middle , I'd have to say it's possibly hitting on the swivel bolted into the fender (check again) . You can always put some putty (or Play-Doh ) on top of the swivel if ya like to see if it squeezes out . If it was high in the corner , I'd say either the hood hinge moved a bit when you swapped out the bolt for the swivel or the strut was bottoming out on itself , which is what I think I was seeing when I mounted mine on the front-most hood hinge bolt . It seemed to be reaching it's shortest length just a smidge before the hood was 100% closed , and was forcing the hood back a bit , no matter what I did , plus it seemed to be tweeking the fender flange a little . It would bottom out with a little of the shaft still showing , BTW - not 100% all the way in . I've since mounted 'em in the rear-most hood hinge bolts . It doesn't hold the hood up with quite as much vigor , but it seems to work fine . No swivel-fouling issues anywhere with it mounted this way (the strut "cartridge" is at the end bolted to the fender) . I had 'em on & off a bunch of times & said "F-it" , that's where they're going ! I'll snap a couple pics as soon as I can .
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/09/06 12:48 AM
I managed to snap a couple pics of the hood struts today . Here ya go :
pic one
pic two
pic three
pic four

Try to ignore all the dust on the car ... it's quite embarassing to me .

Any updates on your dilemma , '98 HO Contour' ??
Posted By: Rayn Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/09/06 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
Ok, I just got done installing a supersport hood kit, and my drivers side doesn't sit level and IT IS ANNOYING ME. What confuses me is that the passenger side sits fine and I did nothing different between the two sides. I used the same holes and tried swapping the two struts just in case but nothing changed. It doesn't appear to be anything hitting or touching so WHAT CAN I DO?

I got the same thing going and I have hood lift struts... I bought my CSVT used and kind of suspected a minor accident or something even though the guy denied any collisions...
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/10/06 05:52 AM
Not really. I think it was because I never paid much attention to it before. Anyway I took off both struts and my passenger side got worse and my drivers side got a lil better so I just put them back on, fiddled with the drivers hood hinge a bit, and made it as small as I could. It is still there, but not unless you look for it. (or if you see the chrome from the super sports , thanks Pete)

EDIT: Rayn, that may be possible because 2 years ago I got into a minor front collision with my car and the hood was just touched up where there was a gouge in the middle so maybe the frame of the hood was tweaked a bit, but not enough to normally notice. Hmmm
Posted By: Rayn Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/11/06 03:54 AM
I would hate it if my dream car had a collision before... I was gonna get my CSVT painted in the summer and I was kind of thinking about having a body shop even it out... Do you think it's worth it? or will it just come back?
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: SuperSport hood struts ? - 01/17/06 06:44 AM
loosen the bolts on the hood hinge and move them around and retighten til the fit is better. it might take a few tries.
© CEG Archives