Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I'm getting my parents 98 Contour for $2k it has the 2.5L V6 with the automatic trans and it only has 78k on it. The car has been very well maintained and I know this because I've changed the oil and done other regular maintance on it for them. When I didn't take care of this my dad had it done at the local Ford dealership.

Now to the real question. I can't settle for just moderate performance. I've purchased an SVT that has a blown engine. From what I understood the only thing damaged on the engine is the internals (piston, crank). As far as the rest of the car goes the seats are missing as well as the radio, but other then that everything is there.

What do I need to pull of this car to make the one I have as much of an SVT as possible. Obviously the body panels, but I guess I'm more concerned with the engine. What differs between the SVT 2.5L and the regular 2.5L engine? Is it just the intake and heads? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The extrude honed ports, LIM and UIM, just to name 2. If I were you, Id drop a fairly new 3L in it, and maybe later on down the road, put a turbo on it!
If i were you i would rebuild the svt engine and get that running. Forget the regular contour all together. Except if the svt has no seats, you should take out the seats and put them in the svt. But thats just me
Yea I thought about that...

But heres what my plans are..

first make the contour look like a SVT as far as the body panels go.

second try and take off whatever worth while engine bolt on components there are on the SVT engine that will work on the regular contour engine if any.

third sell off any parts on the SVT Contour that people might want, manual trans, doors, door panels, trunk lid, sun roof, center console, etc.

four drive the modded contour for 2-3 years and buy an Audi TT Quattro or a Mustang with either the Roush, Steeda, or Saleen package.

DOn't think that will work..... But, we ALL have dreams, don't we.

Seriously, sell off the regualar tour, and rebuild the SVT engine. There are alot mor ethings on an SVT thatn just looks. Suspension, brakes, eninge, trans, exhaust... lots of things that are well worth the work to keep. WHat kind of shape is the SVT in? Post some pics of it, and we'll judge it's worth while-ness.
Too bad the ATX mated up to ANYTHING automatically makes it an TURD!

I say rebuild the SVT with a 3L Engine using the SVT cams and sell everythign else. Throw in some aftermarket bucket seats (GOOD ONES!) like Sparco, Corbeau, or Momo, and sell the turd with an ATX. If you want speed nothing short of greasing up the ATX contour and pushing it down a mineshaft, will ever make it fast.
Originally posted by Stazi:
If you want speed nothing short of greasing up the ATX contour and pushing it down a mineshaft, will ever make it fast.

He's right though new jack, that SVT is waaay more valuable than that slush box tour. Never thought about getting some rocaros or something. Decent CD palyer, there ya go. interior is all set and sweet! Rebuild rebuild rebuild rebuild! (and all the great ones of the CEG rejoyed)
I've done quite a bit of rebuilding let me tell you. I built my camaro from scratch to make it everything I wanted it to be. It costs money and a lot of it.

Yea if I had the money to buy a short block CSVT engine I might consider it. But on the flip side the CSVT is the same deal as my SHO if something breaks parts are hard to find and expensive. If you have just the regular guts the parts are relative cheap and available. I just ran into this actually and am still dealing with it. My SHO blew out the end of its oil cooler and the seal isnt sold seperately so you have to buy the entire oil cooler. So isnt that great the oil cooler lists for $379.99 not to mention Ford doesnt build it anymore so no one carries it. I was lucky and found someone off of an SHO forum that had a spare one from a parts car and I was able to buy it. Some might say go to a junk yard and find the parts you need. Well thats nice if you can find a junk yard that happens to have the car you need parts for. I'm sure you are all aware of problems locating CSVT in junk yards, there basically non exsitent, the same goes for the the newer gen SHO's.

I guess all I'm looking for is a way to make the regular tour into a good looking half way decent performing car and not have to pay the premium on replacement parts and gas. After all this car is replacing my SHO as a daily driver. As soon as I finish this little project I'm going to sell the SHO. Once thats all done I can save some money to buy a brand new car with a warranty and no previous drivers so I know exactly whats happen to it. At that point I'll start pouring the money in for performance, just not with this car.
Thing is, most SVT replacement parts are either:

1) regular Contour parts..MTX, body
2) readily available..like the 3L V6 from the Taurus, Escape, etc that will accept your SVT cams, intake, exhaust, t.body etc and give you MORE power than replacing the SVT motor with an SVT motor for less money.
3) SVT specific stuff that does wear out..eg. suspension, brakes, clutch,etc ..decent aftermarket at decent prices.

So no need to hunt through junkyarrs for SVT stuff for the most parts except the body kit and even that is commonly all over the CEG classifieds.

The ATX Contour just by virtue of having the awful CD4E ATX will be a slug without major bux, as will any attempt to transfer an MTX into that car. As everyone has said..just put a 3L in your SVT & some new setas and call it a day. Unless there is some other issue you are not mentioning makes no sense to go the other way..
PLEASE don't take the SVT parts off and cobble them onto a regular Contour. There are getting to be fewer and fewer SVTs every day. It would be a travesty to ruin one that just needs engine work and seats, no matter how good of a job you do in transferring parts. If you transfer anything, take the bottom end of the good engine and put it into the SVT, with the SVT parts on top. Better yet would be a 3L, as has already been mentioned.

Since you said you can't settle for moderate performance, modding a car with an ATX is going to give you moderate performance right there! You've got the regular Contour to drive while you fix the SVT, so you don't need to do it immediately. Plus, you can sell the regular Contour when you get the SVT up and running. Please, in the name of all that is good and holy - don't cannibalize the SVT!

Marty
Ok I'll guess I'll consider what you guys are saying for a little while. I'm going to attempt to make a pro/con argument for both situations of keeping the SVT and replacing the motor and seats and the latter transfering the CSVT parts to the regular tour.

Keeping the CSVT

Pros
-a pretty sweet car with that was built by Fords Special Vehicle Team (SVT)
-When finished it will have an engine with zero miles mated to a manual transmission
-suspension that is far superior to a regular tour and compareable to that of my SHO
-4 wheel disc brakes
-An orignal CSVT (minus the engine and seats) with matching numbers and VIN
-Can sell my regular tour straight up for cash with my SHO once its finished
-I can sell my SHO right away as planned

Cons
-engine will cost a decent amount of cash $1200+ which already exceeds the amount of money I paid for the CSVT with the blown engine.
-With the current space limitations I have installing the engine myself will not be possible or will take atleast 1-2 months to complete if attempted, which if done will take up all of the space in my garage. Also if I do not do it and end up paying someone to do it, it will cost a great deal of money.
-I will have to buy all the seats for the car, which if done will probably range between $350-$700 depending the route I take (aftermarket front seats or factory, the rear will have to be factory.)
-Overall lots of money that I currently don't have.
-I will have to run premium 92+ octane gas like my SHO which is currently at $2.15 a gallon

Transfering the Parts to the regular Tour

Pros
-Won't cost a dime, all parts are already in my possesion.
-I will as far as the externals of the car are concerned have a CSVT looking car for 3/4 less of the price of what a used CSVT costs.
-The engine in the car is already running and will require no major part replacements. Basically free of defects and has been regularly inspected and maintained.
-Will be able to sell the CSVT parts not used on the car and most likely make all of my money back from the initial purchase and thus breaking even.
-I will still be able to run unleaded regular gas

Cons
-I wont have a true CSVT and the performance of the engine under the hood will be minimal at best
-It will take time to part out the remaining CSVT and I will most likely have parts laying around
-I will have to mess with shipping a lot of parts freight, which is a pain in the butt.
-I wont be able to sell my SHO right away as planned

Well thats all I can really think of. As you can see the cons of keeping the CSVT are quite a large list. Although the Pros for keeping it are quite a long list too. But the truly out weighing factor is the money issue.
Con of keeping the regular tour:
ATX

end of discussion.
Originally posted by SHOTIME2669:

Now to the real question. I can't settle for just moderate performance.

Umm that IS your problem. Learn to drive a manual. You are doing squat with an ATX. Ask russell-3L that did a 3L swap w/ ATX. Still slow as balls so now he's going back through it and mating it to an MTX. Oh and mod the SVT! Not the the other one!
Correct me if I'm wrong....

You have 3 cars: SHO, SVT, contour, 2 of which are running and driving.

My advice, sell the SHO or contour. Use cash from sale to fund getting the SVT running and driving, in the mean time (1-2 months as stated) drive the contour for daily purposes.

When SVT is satisfactory, sell contour.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Originally posted by bohdi:
Correct me if I'm wrong....

You have 3 cars: SHO, SVT, contour, 2 of which are running and driving.

My advice, sell the SHO or contour. Use cash from sale to fund getting the SVT running and driving, in the mean time (1-2 months as stated) drive the contour for daily purposes.

When SVT is satisfactory, sell contour.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Agreed. Theres your summary. You should get enough cash from the SHO to fix the SVT... drive the tour til the SVT is done. Sell the tour off when your done with the CSVT. Bam, 1 car that is absolutly hot! Between sellign the two rides, you'll probably break even all together or come ahead a bit. Thats when you buy some Corbeaus.
you said that gas price was a con of keeping the svt well if you think about it its only a dollar or two more each time you fill up a small price to pay to be lucky enough to drive a CSVT

10 gal x $2.27 (price of 92 octane here) =$22.70 highest octane

10 gal x $2.07 (price of 90 octane here) =$20.70 lowest octane

difference of $2
He wants performance and he's crying over gas prices. Give me a break!!!!!!
Suspension on CSVT > Suspension on SHO!!

I agree with everyone on here, don't tear the SVT apart.. If you don't want the SVT, sell it for a little more than you paid for it to someone that can keep it on the road.. A motor(if you do the work yourself) won't cost $1200.. A 3L can be found for ~$400, and you add a few things(bearings & gaskets) and call it a day.. Some new seats, and you have yourself a nice SVT for $4k total..

Mark
Originally posted by Stazi:
Too bad the ATX mated up to ANYTHING automatically makes it an TURD!

I say rebuild the SVT with a 3L Engine using the SVT cams and sell everythign else. Throw in some aftermarket bucket seats (GOOD ONES!) like Sparco, Corbeau, or Momo, and sell the turd with an ATX. If you want speed nothing short of greasing up the ATX contour and pushing it down a mineshaft, will ever make it fast.

i dont drive a turd, its just black and looks like one.

but back to the post, what you need to do first is tear into the SVT and see how much damage the engine actually has. like said above most of the parts from the regular will fit the SVT.

Depending on what the damage is you could swap over the part from the regular contour.

Quote:

-engine will cost a decent amount of cash $1200+ which already exceeds the amount of money I paid for the CSVT with the blown engine.

where did you get that price for a 3L. you can get them for cheap. i just looked on car-parts.com and see them with less then 35k for about 300 bucks. add 100 for shipping 400 bucks for an engine. Drop that in the SVT swaping some parts off. The swap can be done in a very short time. I know of some people that swapped a 3L in 20 hours. So for the average person we will say ~5-6 days at most.

Then you sell the parts off the SVT you did not use, sell the regular contour, sell the SHO. After that you got the money for the seats if you have not already gotten some.

About the seats, Why do you need a back seat, who will be riding back there, besides without it, it weights less.

radio WTF, you got a SVT, need i say more.

you cant be serious about buying premium, what you think those cars you want to buy run on?? not regular thats for sure. if you want performance you gonna have to use the good go juice.

you will come out far better keeping the svt and selling the other cars.
Originally posted by getlucky151:
The extrude honed ports, LIM and UIM, just to name 2. If I were you, Id drop a fairly new 3L in it, and maybe later on down the road, put a turbo on it!

I agree... a 3L SVT even without a Turbo goes like crazy.
Originally posted by ALIAS Jerk:
Originally posted by getlucky151:

I agree... a 3L SVT even without a Turbo goes like crazy.

Hell I'll buy the SVT off you for the $600 you paid for it. Then I'll build a 3L throw in some nice seats and sell it!

A running SVT with 3L and aftermarket goodies is somethingsomeone would want to buy moreso than an ATX ho-hum Contour.

Save the SVT, sell a turd!

-I will as far as the externals of the car are concerned have a CSVT looking car for 3/4 less of the price of what a used CSVT costs.

Exactly. Your not factoring in the Resale value of ATX vs SVT. Think about it this way. Whatever money you put into your contour, you're not going to make back when you sell the car 3 yrs later. You sell your ATX contour and invest part of that money into your SVT, (say $3k) assuming everything else is in good condition you now have a car with new engine that's worth 2-3 times as much as your ATX contour. With your 1k purchase price + 3k investment, you would get to drive it for couple years and still make a profit out of it. it seems like a no brainer to me, financially.

I don't know why so many people are trying to persuade you to keep the car, you should just do what you want it's your money. Instead people should start calling dibs on buying the SVT w/o engine w/o seats w/o body kit, there's a handful of guys here that would gladly take a car in that condition for the price you got it for - perfect for a project.
I wouldn't want it without the body kit.
Originally posted by irda:

Exactly. Your not factoring in the Resale value of ATX vs SVT. Think about it this way. Whatever money you put into your contour, you're not going to make back when you sell the car 3 yrs later. You sell your ATX contour and invest part of that money into your SVT, (say $3k) assuming everything else is in good condition you now have a car with new engine that's worth 2-3 times as much as your ATX contour. With your 1k purchase price + 3k investment, you would get to drive it for couple years and still make a profit out of it. it seems like a no brainer to me, financially.

I don't know why so many people are trying to persuade you to keep the car, you should just do what you want it's your money. Instead people should start calling dibs on buying the SVT w/o engine w/o seats , there's a handful of guys here that would gladly take a car in that condition for the price you got it for - perfect for a project.

Couldn't have said it better myself...
My brother is looking for a car, and im looking for a project.

You should sell me the un-running SVT
Well I've given in. It makes sense to keep the car.

Oh as a reply to an earlier post the SHO isnt running right now... I have to replace the oil cooler first, otherwise it will be completely be out of oil after driving it 10 feet. I'm waiting on the part to come in the mail.

Anyway heres a little more info on the CSVT. I do not actually have it at my house, yet. Its in the process of getting shipped here. I spoke with the previous owner quite indepth the other day to try and figure out what exactly happen to the engine when it blew. This is what he said. His mechanic told him it threw a rod (which is what I expected) and that the rod went through the oil pan, killing it. So I don't know the extent of the damage. I'm just hoping that since it went through the oil pan that the piston didnt come back up and hit the valves on the cylinder head. That way I can salvage the heads and the cams.

Assuming that I can keep the heads I wouldnt mind having a 3L bottom end on it, plus it seems like they are pretty cheap and easy to find with the abundance of Taurus's. I'm curious though... the 3L your talking about are these the 92-95 Taurus engines or the newer style 00+ 3L's. I also read on the shoshop.com website that these engines have to be modified to fit the CSVT heads. I dont have the time to actually do the engine swap myself my dads friend will probably do it for me. Both my dad and this friend of his work for Ford so I can get parts for cheap. Also I already have a set of Corbeau Forza seats with matching 4pt harnesses but they are for my Camaro. Although they are not in the car so I could probably throw them in the CSVT until I get a hold of some factory seats.

Also I guess another option is putting another 2.5L in the car. Is there a difference in the bottom end of a regular tour versus the CSVT? Because those 2.5L blocks are pretty easy to come across in junk yards too.

Ok for the guy out there that said learn to drive a stick... I already know how. But as I'm sure most of you know having a stick in traffic blows azz. My brother has a SVT Focus (so would that be FSVT?) with a blower and hes always complaining as do most of my friends.

edit* Oh yea as an added bonus I found out that the car has a Borla catback exhaust and an alarm system.
Quote:

Anyway heres a little more info on the CSVT. I do not actually have it at my house, yet. Its in the process of getting shipped here. I spoke with the previous owner quite indepth the other day to try and figure out what exactly happen to the engine when it blew. This is what he said. His mechanic told him it threw a rod (which is what I expected) and that the rod went through the oil pan, killing it.

that would be kinda hard to do. but still possible.

Quote:

Assuming that I can keep the heads I wouldnt mind having a 3L bottom end on it, plus it seems like they are pretty cheap and easy to find with the abundance of Taurus's. I'm curious though... the 3L your talking about are these the 92-95 Taurus engines or the newer style 00+ 3L's. I also read on the shoshop.com website that these engines have to be modified to fit the CSVT heads. I dont have the time to actually do the engine swap myself my dads friend will probably do it for me. Both my dad and this friend of his work for Ford so I can get parts for cheap.

even if the heads are damaged you can still use the cams which would be a better choice then using the 2.5L heads. The 3L heads will flow better and have an extra drain back so the oil doesn't pool in the heads nearly as much. as for the year well you have to make a decision as to what year you want. check this FAQ out to see which path you would like to take. me personally i would go with a 01+ 3L. also check the 3L section on here too.

as for the parts that are the same from a regular 2.5 to the svt 2.5

well if you broke a rod you could just get some regular 2.5 rods and use those, gonna spend a decent amount tho. if the block is cracked a regular 2.5 block will work but you will need to swap a lot of parts off the svt to make the new engine like the old. check this site to see what difference between the 2 cars are. linky
I actually found another CSVT engine out of a 98 that only has 43k on it. I'm getting it for $850, complete. So I may be able to make some of my money back selling the parts off of the old engine that are still good. I'm thinking the intake and fuel rails for sure and then possibly the heads if they check out ok.
Well it has been a while since I first planned on buying the car I own. So far I have not done that much to it.

-Mirko Splitter
-WR Headers (sitting in a box, waiting to buy flex pipe)
-Painted inner headlights black
-Saleen numbering on front bumper (thanks Parkedcar)
-Blacked out taillights
-Aftermarket Amplifier after finding out that all of the speakers in the car are RF 6x8's.
-Still saving money for a 3L and turbo.
Parts really arent expensive for the 3L engine. Since you are a member of CEG you will get a discount with Steve Mullins at Tousley ford, all you have to ask for is the CEG and SVT discount and you will get form 25 to 45% off depending upon what you are purchasing. Plus, you dont HAVE to buy a new 3L. A good 3L duratec can be had for around $400-600 with low miles, so another plus is that you wont have to break the engine in. You will get more performance out of a stock motor, and if you really have some extra cash you can throw a set of headers on there as well as a CAI, Use the SVT cams that came with the SVT... Yeah, you will push some major power. Believe me, listen to all of these guys, you will be unhappy with an ATX duratec contour that is all show and no go if what you want is speed. Your best bang for a buck would be to build up a 3L.
If you lived a little closer, you'd be in luck. At the local Pick and Pull, there is a V8 Taurus SHO with a salvage title for sale, everything is there but a valve cover...
What do you recommend he use off a V8 SHO engine for his 3L build?

Originally posted by Hydramatic:
If you lived a little closer, you'd be in luck. At the local Pick and Pull, there is a V8 Taurus SHO with a salvage title for sale, everything is there but a valve cover...

Ummmmm........yeah
According to my measurements, there is room for a V8 under the hood on a Contour. Not enough room for a V8 AND a transmission though.
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
...and if you really have some extra cash you can throw a set of headers on there as well as a CAI, Use the SVT cams that came with the SVT... Yeah, you will push some major power. Believe me, listen to all of these guys, you will be unhappy with an ATX duratec contour that is all show and no go if what you want is speed. Your best bang for a buck would be to build up a 3L.

Geez, some people just fail to read the last post sometimes...

Originally posted by CSVT#49:
So far I have not done that much to it.

-Mirko Splitter
-WR Headers (sitting in a box, waiting to buy flex pipe)
-Painted inner headlights black
-Saleen numbering on front bumper (thanks Parkedcar)
-Blacked out taillights
-Aftermarket Amplifier after finding out that all of the speakers in the car are RF 6x8's.
-Still saving money for a 3L and turbo.

So I bought the car in it's entirety and repaired it. I currently drive it to work everyday.

Thanks for the info though, I've already done research and theres a '04 3.0L from a Sable 50 miles from my house with 4k on it for $625. Unforantely I don't have the time nor the money to get involved with this project yet. I have to install my headers on the car and then proceed to complete the fence around my yard so my dogs don't run off and then redo my driveway so that I have a place to park my Camaro. Which will leave me with little money. Did I mention I'm trying to save money for my wedding too... lol.
Originally posted by Hydramatic:

I would never buy an SHO V8 motor to put in my car even if it did fit. The engine in my opinion is a steaming pile. They only managed to get 15 more HP out of a V8 when they had 220 out of the 3.2L 92-95 SHO V6 motors. Not to mention those things are notorious for having the cam gears walk down the cam shaft and cause the valvedrain to grenade. Run away from the 96-99 SHO's like you just faced death in the face.
© CEG Archives