Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Nate S zetec atx ponderings... - 12/29/03 10:17 PM
so i have a completely stock zetec atx with 42k on it. (yeah, i know, i should get a chip). i ended up racing a couple of times last night- keep in mind that i had a whole bunch of stuff in my trunk (2 10" subs in a bandpass box, 1 8" sub, 2 amps- so i had some weight added on) the other cars had no added weight.

1st was against a '91 (i think) lexus sedan with a atx V6 (stock)...im not sure on the power rating. we took off, and at the start, we were DAMN close, which really surprised me. he was maybe half a foot ahead of me. however, i noticed that as we were going faster, he was pulling on me...i was losing. we went up to about 60.

2nd was against an mtx honda civic (also stock). i dont know what engine he had. when we started off, i took off and pulled ahead. we keep going, and he starts pulling on me, and the distance is closing. we didnt finish- only went up to about 45 maybe.

everytime i took off, i would just turn O/D off and would just floor it. i know i should do the brake thing before taking off, but ive never done that before and didnt want to do anything stupid. so what im wondering is, why are they gaining on me in the upper mph? any reasons other than the fact that my car is slow?
if i had an mtx i wonder what would have happened...
Posted By: mmarfan_dup1 Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/29/03 10:41 PM
First off, I hope you weren't street racing. (Read top of this fourm for rules) Second, that's how drag racing is, you start out about the same, but the dude with the most HP will pull on the other dude. I've drag raced LEGALLY probably 30+ times, and have had some pretty close races, but because I out-shift a car doesn't mean I'm going to beat them. Or if I can out launch them doesn't mean I can beat them.
I've raced ATX V8 Camaros that I can beat out of the hole (well, it was a woman driver), and she just chased me down and passed me. I can't hold a candle to the V8's out there.
The best race was a 5.0 Mustang that I launched and shifted better then him (gained a carlength), but he had about 2 carlengths at the end of the track (90MPH). I think he ran a 14.9 to my 15.1.
Don't be too cockey, I've driven an ATX Zetec Focus, and will tell you that there's plenty out there you don't wanna race. Plus about 2 years ago I had an 850 dollar ticket that says DON'T STREET RACE!
Posted By: Nate S Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/29/03 10:42 PM
Originally posted by mmarfan:
First off, I hope you weren't street racing.

i never said it was street racing. this was my first time drag racing, was with 2 of my friends. lol and i know- street racing is not allowed on the forums and is a bad idea. im probably not going to drag again, i was just having some fun with my friends at the track.
but i was just wondering why it was happening. i always just assumed that a faster car would probably start off faster.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/29/03 10:47 PM
it could be the way the zetec is geared compared to the other cars or it just falls on its face in the upper rpms. I know someone with a zetec on here added some adjustable cam gears and got a HUGE gain in the upper rpms!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/30/03 05:43 AM
I'm suprised you pulled on them off the line. I guess something is wrong with my car, because it is SLOW off the line, even cars that I am a lot faster than will beat me off the line, and I probably have the lightest contour on the boards (i.e. stripped). The cd4e isn't very good for racing at all.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/30/03 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
The cd4e isn't very good for racing at all.

we'll see about that!
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Nate S:
1st was against a '91 (i think) lexus sedan with a atx V6 (stock)...im not sure on the power rating. we took off, and at the start, we were DAMN close, which really surprised me. he was maybe half a foot ahead of me. however, i noticed that as we were going faster, he was pulling on me...i was losing. we went up to about 60.

Likely the ES250--Lexus' overweight, leather-lined version of the 2nd gen Camry V6. He began pulling likely due to the additional ponies (stock for its 2.5 V6 was 155-ish hp). I'd imagine being 13 years old it was quite tired, also, partially explaining why he didn't pull on you from the start.

It was not an LS400 or ES300. You would not stand a chance against a healthy one of either.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
The cd4e isn't very good for racing at all.

we'll see about that!

Although I'm sure your car is gonna do fine, I bet it would do better paired to a different tranny. The CD4E doesn't impress me compared to almost any other automatic tranny I've driven. It's not very strong and has a fairly high drivetrain loss. I'm guessing it's gearing isn't that great for racing either. Though I know your's isn't as bad as a stock tranny, and should do pretty good.
Posted By: Obsidian Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 04:38 PM
and I probably have the lightest contour on the boards (i.e. stripped).

I beg to differ. I bet my car (right not) is the lightest of the bunch. My car is without the front bumper, the front fenders, headlights, turn signals, grille, radiator, a/c condensor, heatsheild (sp?), fans and hood. Oh yea, no airbags either. I wonder if I can break into the 17's now..... lmfao. Oh wait, you said contour. Dammit.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 04:57 PM
May be the lightest contique, but I'll bet you have the worst aerodynamic drag...

Posted By: Obsidian Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 05:00 PM
lmfao. Yea, probably but I can just put the dang front bumper on and eliminate enough of the drag to get somewhere. It'll be like driving an old chevy caprice minus the extra four cylinders and a ton of extra weight.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian:
and I probably have the lightest contour on the boards (i.e. stripped).

I beg to differ. I bet my car (right not) is the lightest of the bunch. My car is without the front bumper, the front fenders, headlights, turn signals, grille, radiator, a/c condensor, heatsheild (sp?), fans and hood. Oh yea, no airbags either. I wonder if I can break into the 17's now..... lmfao. Oh wait, you said contour. Dammit.

Ok, lightest legal to drive contique then if you want to be technical, and I'd like to see how long your car runs without a radiator. I have no a/c system at all, among other things.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 06:28 PM

Ok, lightest legal to drive contique then if you want to be technical

You know, I was going to add: "but its not street legal"...

But knowing being street legal makes no difference due to street racing being illegal & all, & it would run long enough for a 1/4 mi. run, which is legal (I'm sure there is a class that would let him run bolting the bumper on, although he'd need fenders too )...technically speaking, of course
Who cares...

and I'd like to see how long your car runs without a radiator. I have no a/c system at all, among other things.

I don't think he was challenging your weightlessness ...
lighten up, it's almost time to party

Posted By: Russell-3L Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 06:49 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

But knowing being street legal makes no difference due to street racing being illegal & all, & it would run long enough for a 1/4 mi. run, which is legal (I'm sure there is a class that would let him run bolting the bumper on, although he'd need fenders too )...technically speaking, of course
Who cares...

and I'd like to see how long your car runs without a radiator. I have no a/c system at all, among other things.

i dont think he was talking about street racing

kremet probably has the lightest contour that he can drive on the road all the way to the track, and race it there, without breaking any laws
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
i dont think he was talking about street racing

kremet probably has the lightest contour that he can drive on the road all the way to the track, and race it there, without breaking any laws

I'm sure he wasn't, my point was who cares if its "street legal"...? It can't be raced on the streets anyway...(this is all a joke, note the above smileys)
I also believe he has the lightest, he just seemed a little irritated or somewhat threatened w/ the lighthearted comments...I'm sure his comments were even "lighter", but due to the lack of smileys, I was inclined to think otherwise...its all good
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 08:25 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

Who cares...

You mean time for me to party while I'm at work till about 1am tonite.
My comments are always probably lighter than you realize,, I was just saying I drive my car everyday... Somebody else could easily make their car lighter than mine (another zetec owner anyways) as the atx isn't as light as a mtx. Though some people like air conditioning, back seat, and all that other useless stuff.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 08:35 PM
i live up north and couldnt live without AC

i cant imagine living in the south with no AC

then again i hate the heat, i seldom wear a jacket in the wintertime!
Posted By: Obsidian Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 12/31/03 09:29 PM
I was trying to be lighthearted with my comment. It was just a joke and who says it has to have lights when it's daylight outside. I can just put some.... HEY!!

I bet I'll have the coldest running engine once I get my radiator on! All that wind. I'll put like a big funnel in front of the air intake! Now thats air ram! lmfao!

Least I'm taking one of the worst things to happen to me pretty light... I miss my car...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 01/01/04 06:47 AM
All reason I need heat in my car is for defrost when it's cold. Weather is just weather, I can deal with heat or cold without gettin my panties in a bunch. Obsidian, I'm sorry that happened to your car, atleast you're taking it well though and atleast it still runs.
Russell, how come you don't get mad at me much anymore, I miss that, please be mean to me. Just kidding, you're a good kid. HAHAHA, When are we gonna have the riciest contour contest, I bet I could win.... Happy New Year.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 01/02/04 05:46 PM

I can deal with heat or cold without gettin my panties in a bunch.

Just a little too much info.
The scary part is they're probably yellow too
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 01/02/04 05:47 PM
Originally posted by bk4293:

I can deal with heat or cold without gettin my panties in a bunch.

Just a little too much info.
The scary part is they're probably yellow too

Posted By: lsneo Re: zetec atx ponderings... - 01/02/04 06:13 PM
and green you forgot green.
© CEG Archives