Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Y2KSVT Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 03:57 AM
Well I cleaned the car up tonight after work. Had it looking really good. cruised around for about 15 minutes before I came home, and on my way back, a black SVT comes up behind me. He passes me, and I think, he has a black SVT, I have a black SVT, we should race So I get in the front of this pack and he follows me. We get a light, and I didn't want to just do it off the line because I don't like tires squeeling with people around. So we get up to about 15 and we both hit it. We are dead even all the way up to 85-90 mph. That is when he started to pull on me about a fender. We get up to the next light and I say "tell me you weren't just getting on that". He says "Yeah I was gettin on it". I guess I wasn't too disappointed though........................ seaming as how it was a Lightning
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 04:02 AM
yeh I watched from the stands.. it was that track by your house.. what is it called again?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 06:30 AM
.............a Gen I Lightning!! Take the damned thing to a track so I can get my $50!
Posted By: PXRacing Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 07:01 AM
So was it really a GEN 1 or 2????
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 12:17 PM
LOL! Good story.
Posted By: Eli_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 12:28 PM
whats the stats on the gen 1 lightning?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 03:34 PM
I was joking about the gen I, but FYI 351HO (240hpish IIRC) mid/low 15s in the 1/4.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 05:39 PM
Hahaa... I can always count on you to chime in there Ryan... It was a Gen 2... I believe it was a 99... I don't think he had the Altezza's on there... It was lowered so I don't know if he had any other mods, or if he swapped the fugly altezza's for plain tail lights... It was pretty fun though that's for sure... Im getting the shift cable put in on monday, and then Im gonna put my shifter in after that. Then my suspension will be in next week so I'll put that on possibly the following weekend... Then I'll take it to the track to win my $50
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 06:56 PM
Actually i was at ford days at Sac Raceway a few months ago and raced a GenI or GenII lightning and it beat me by a tenth of a second....and i had a broken tranny and losing clutch hydralic pressure.

I ahve the time slips if anyone can post a pic.

Roz
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 09:28 PM
Damn Mark, you scared me for a second. Way to build up suspense. I was gonna' say, I know your car isn't slow. My butt dyno told me last weekend just how fast it is. Now I'm going to have to do something to keep up. Hmmmm........
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 09:58 PM
Gen I lightnings (93-95) have the old body style. Like Ryan said, mid-low 15s. My friend has a 93 and ran a 14.9 with just a bassani x-pipe (still had stock exhaust). They are very capable and relatively easy to get into the 12s (compared to most cars), especially since they are so heavy.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 10:20 PM
Yeah I was gonna say, Gen I or Gen II? They are totally different trucks. Gen I = 351, Gen II = 5.4L S/C. Gen II's I believe generally are 13.4 - 13.6 trucks.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Yeah I was gonna say, Gen I or Gen II? They are totally different trucks. Gen I = 351, Gen II = 5.4L S/C. Gen II's I believe generally are 13.4 - 13.6 trucks.

ok then it was a Gen I...im not familar with Lightnings honestly...so i wasn;t sure if there was more than one Gen....It was Box style Gen I.

Roz
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Gen II:
99-2000 are 13.8-14.1

2001+ with altezza style lights (yuck!), aluminum driveline, updated intake manifold and some other goodies are 13.4-13.6.

Either way, a Gen II is a beatdown from low speeds.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/27/03 11:44 PM
Yeah I knew that the 2001+ came out with some things to make them faster. I knew they upgraded the I/C and they gained I believe 15 or 20 HP from 2000 to 2001. Yeah the altezza's were not a good idea by Ford, but the rims were. I don't like the rims they put on the 2003 Lightnings. Either way, they are all fast trucks and I was happy to hang with one from 15mph - 90mph. I was looking over at him when we were doing this kickdown, and I swore he was just playin with me, making me think I was keeping it close.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/28/03 02:31 AM
That's awesome! I remember posting my victory over a stock appearing Buick Grand National in a few mild sprints on the freeway, and I got a rash of sh|t about it. People who haven't driven a hybrid SVT just don't know what their dealing with. Hell, my turbo setup now makes my hybrid feel slow in the top end.

Good job.

By the way, there was a newer Lightning at the track with me two weeks ago and although I didn't race him he ran a 13.92 in the 1/4.

warmonger
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/28/03 05:45 AM
Hey thanks for the compliments. I would love to throw the turbo on top of the Hybrid, but I'm afraid the motor itself tapped me out pretty well for this year. I think next year I'm going to go with the Venom2000 kit. Not that I want to take the cheap route, but I like the idea of nitrous. I'm pretty calm with my driving now and don't get on it unless I have a reason to(Gen II Lightning taunting me) and nitrous isn't constantly working like a turbo or supercharger would be. Another added benefit that I like is the torque that nitrous gives to a motor.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 06/28/03 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CLASSVT:
Damn Mark, you scared me for a second. Way to build up suspense. I was gonna' say, I know your car isn't slow. My butt dyno told me last weekend just how fast it is. Now I'm going to have to do something to keep up. Hmmmm........

That bad rim you have doesn't help any.. you should come up with Mark so you could buy mine
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Kevdogg410:
Originally posted by CLASSVT:

That bad rim you have doesn't help any.. you should come up with Mark so you could buy mine

Funny guy. Always sellin' something huh? I may still consider it. However it only has mild curb rash and I have lived with it so far. We may have to negotiate something when Mark comes up there...I may come with him. But I really really want some Konig Tantrums.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:16 PM
yeh how is that credit card coming along? Mark will only come up if he gets those FSVT rims...
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Kevdogg410:
yeh how is that credit card coming along? Mark will only come up if he gets those FSVT rims...

I should know on the credit card within the next two weeks. I have kinda talked myself out of splurging on rims. But now that I'm thinking about it again...DAMN I WANT THOSE! I think Mark is getting the FSVT rims regardless, isn't he? I need: Magaflow res. and mufflers, tint, stereo, rims + tires= 17" Konig Tantrums, and a bunch of other crap. I'm such a greedy bastad. Of course I only have money for like one or two things on that list. VISA VISA VISA VISA VISA. There is a Visa god, and he wants me to have those rims.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:28 PM
the VISA god has rejected me numerous amounts of times... yeh, I talked to him last night.. he doesn't know if he is going to get them before chicago or not.. are you going by the way?
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:34 PM
I definately want to. I need to register soon, but I think Mark and I are both procrastinating(sp?). My job situation is shady so I'll have to see WTF I'm doing by Aug. Pre-planned vacations don't usually go over well when trying to find a new job. One way or another I'll make it there.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:45 PM
kick ass.. me and mark are staying at my friends house in naperville.. from what I hear it is pretty close to everything that is going on.. I could get you a place to stay probably if you need it
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:46 PM
Definately! That would help out tremendously. Let me know what you come up with...I'm not picky.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 04:59 PM
we were going to stay at my friend cristina's friends house they just bought.. I don't know if you would be uncomfortable with 3 guys you don't know.. but then again.. you would just be sleeping there.
Ill talk to cristina and see what I can do for you.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 06:15 PM
Yeah as soon as Mark gets off his ace, he's going to post some pics of our cars that he took last weekend. I can see the responses now; "tint the windows, take off the door dings, debadge it, and get some new exhaust and you'll be set." Wanna' take bets that I get at least one comment identical to that? And of course my car looks plain as hell next to Marks, but it will be the first time my car has been pic'd on this board.

Oh and Kevin, when he posts the pics, if you can tell me which rim it is that has curb rash then I'll buy yours from you.(you can't cheat and ask Mark, I'll find out )
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/01/03 07:01 PM
hahah alright.. Ill try.. my car will look VERY similar to mark's... except my windows are darker.
Posted By: BlownSonoma Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/08/03 06:34 PM
Yea yea so you can beat lightnings, But can you run with the Sonoma? hehe j/k

When is that suspension going in man? I want some results. You better be attending Muncie later this month. I just sent out that Wideband to be fixed so we gatta run your car on it when it gets back.

Hey Ryan I still have your lug wrench in my garage by the way.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/08/03 07:44 PM
Originally posted by BlownSonoma:
Yea yea so you can beat lightnings, But can you run with the Sonoma? hehe j/k

When is that suspension going in man? I want some results. You better be attending Muncie later this month. I just sent out that Wideband to be fixed so we gatta run your car on it when it gets back.

Hey Ryan I still have your lug wrench in my garage by the way.

from what I hear mark smokes you...
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/09/03 08:37 PM
I don't know that Sonoma is sick! Yeah I know you still have my sh!t. It's ok we'll be over there soon enough. Still can't get the f*ing torx bolts off. I'm getting tint this weekend and I plan on watching Mark install the new suspension. Key word is watch. I'll help if I can. But I've never tackled anything under the car before. So Jim when are you gonna' be in town for a whole weekend at a time? You're always gone now. What's up with that?
Posted By: BlownSonoma Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/10/03 12:44 PM
Ive been at the lake a bunch plus both my family and my girlfriends family tooks vacations in consecutive weekends. I havent been out to do anything for a long time. Ive got this weekend off though so I think were ganna tear into Mark's suspension if I think we can handle it. Struts cant be any harder than coil springs, I hope.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/10/03 01:24 PM
Well I just got a PM from Mark. He said you guys are gonna' tear into his suspension Saturday morning. I may go get the other torx bit(t45) and see what can be done about those brakes. Maybe I should pick up some PB blaster too.

Hey by the way...Mark told me but I forgot, what did your truck run the other weekend in the quarter? I remember it being pretty impressive. That truck is mean...I still need to ride in it man. C-ya.
Posted By: BlownSonoma Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/10/03 04:19 PM
It went 13.6 at 105 with a 2.2 60ft time. I used my street tires so I wasnt getting enough traction to push lower 13's but its capable. Im going back in august and ill have a couple more things done to it so I should break into low 13's maybe high 12's with slicks.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Is my 3.0L Hybrid slow? - 07/10/03 04:22 PM
Originally posted by BlownSonoma:
It went 13.6 at 105 with a 2.2 60ft time. I used my street tires so I wasnt getting enough traction to push lower 13's but its capable. Im going back in august and ill have a couple more things done to it so I should break into low 13's maybe high 12's with slicks.

Dude that's awesome. Your truck rocks! Sleeper too.
© CEG Archives