Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bizest_dup1 What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 12:22 PM
I was watching Fast & the Furious last night... I know, I know, I watch it for the plot, not the cars... really!

Anyway, after the first race, what does Vin Diesel's character mean when he's talking to Brian (the cop) and he says, "You should be double-clutching instead of Granny shifting"? What the heck do both of those terms refer to?

Just curious,
Bizest
Posted By: Pollo_loco69_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 02:36 PM
Double clutching is when you press the clutch in twice for each change of gear. This is usful for cars that don't have syncros in the tranny. It makes getting it in gear easier. The cars in the movie are all newer and "should" have syncros so that just proves that the script was written by someone that doesn't know all that much about cars. HTH.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 04:53 PM
....thats why road racers still do it?
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 07:40 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Ehhhhhh, nooooooo...
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 07:42 PM
I think your getting double clutching confused with heel and toe shifting. I haven't seen any road racers that still double clutch.

A good exaple of double clutching is in the car chase in "Bullitt" Steve Mcqueen does it all through that chase in his mustang. If you haven't seen it, you should see it for one of the best car chases of all time
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 07:50 PM
oops insert foot into mouth.....

Originally posted by bnoon:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Ehhhhhh, nooooooo...
Posted By: Dustyn_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/25/02 08:38 PM
You can use it in diesel in the allis transmisions that are in semi's and tractors.
Posted By: WickeD_CSVT Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/28/02 05:37 AM
I love that movie!!!

"Bullitt" not F&F

I think that Charger R/T is the coolest 70 muscle car every built.
(yeah, I might be exagerating just a little)

Steve McQueen Rulez

Bullitt was the first movie I ever bought.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 09/28/02 05:40 AM
Originally posted by fst4dr:
I think your getting double clutching confused with heel and toe shifting. I haven't seen any road racers that still double clutch.

A good exaple of double clutching is in the car chase in "Bullitt" Steve Mcqueen does it all through that chase in his mustang. If you haven't seen it, you should see it for one of the best car chases of all time

It is THE BEST car chase scenes of all time !!!
But thats my opinion
Posted By: SHO91MTX_dup1 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/09/02 02:01 PM
ahem, the charger in bullit was a 68 R/T. in F&F it was a 70 coronet dressed as a 70 charger. just playing. Thank god that car in the F&F wasn't a real charger. I would have cried.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: What the heck does this mean? - 10/09/02 10:34 PM
As a road racer i can vouch that we never double clutch, its just a stupid ricer catch frase
© CEG Archives