Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: MaddMike2 Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 05:59 AM
Well to say I'm pleased would be an understatement. The first run was 161.5hp and 155fpt, run 2: 165.61hp and 160.10fpt. Run 3: (removed the air cleaner element) 167.38hp and 162.18fpt. run 4: (mocked up a ram air for the air box and set a small fan in front of it) 171.68hp and 163.97fpt.

To recap:

Dyno runs HP TQ A/F Comments

1st 140 151 10 Car had 146k, Mods: FR 9mm Wires, K&N drop in filter, Autolite D-Plat
spark plugs.

2nd 142 152 10 Cleaned uim/lim, IMRC quit working during this session.

3rd 149 151 11.5 New Bank #1 O2 up stream, New IAC, New Coil pak, changed oil in
MTX to Valvoline Synth Power ATF, repaired IMRC

4th 151 152 12.5 Installed 98 SVT ECM and SVT 19lb. Injectors. Not the power gain I
expected. I figured the cats were done in and that the ECM needed more
Intake and Exhaust flow.

5th 171.68 163.97 13.2 Installed my own designed exhaust 5A. 165.61hp 160.10fpt
Mocked up Ram Air/fan 5B. 171.68hp 163.97fpt
Also for this run I changed oil to Valvoline 5w20 Synth Power and added
a can of Restore, I don't know if it helped with the HP but the car no
longer smokes.

The cost of Mods to this point:
K&N $0 was in the car when I bought it.
Ford Racing 9mm wires $52
Used SVT ECM and injectors $100
Custom Exhaust: $200

I'm not listing the cost of the other parts as they are maintance items that normaly would be replaced do to age or failure.

Total cost of Mods:$352.

To figure the cost of HP/TQ increase per dollar I'm going to use the 149HP/152.07TQ figure as the starting point due to preforming normal maintance got the car to that number.

171.68 - 149.50= a gain of 22.18HP/163.97 - 152.07= a gain of 11.9TQ

$15.87 per HP increace/$29.56 per FPT increase

As soon as I can I will have the sheet posted on my Blog
Posted By: TGO Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 06:39 AM
wow, i think considering no other SVT mods those are pretty damn good numbers.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 02:26 PM
What kind of dyno was this and where are your dyno graphs!?
Posted By: BigBEN_dup1 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 02:32 PM
thats awesome...u should post some pics of your exhaust in the pics section!
Posted By: Tourige Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 06:22 PM
ill negate the 171hp because you used a damn fan on the intake..
Posted By: Harrry Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

Yeah the 171 is not a standard make of power. IT was a 1 time on a dyno power gain. You shouldn't use that as a refernce. Do you always use this mack up ram intake kit? Oh was your hood open during this also?
Posted By: MaddMike2 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 09:41 PM
My blog is on the other site which has the last 3 Dyno runs on it. As I said at the bottom of my post the fith run will be posted as soon as possible.

All runs have been done on the same DynoJet.
Posted By: MaddMike2 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 09:48 PM
The Ram air is going to be installed now that I see that it has proven to be effective, the fan was placeed at the opening to simulate the car moving down the road.
Posted By: MaddMike2 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Rickson:

Yeah the 171 is not a standard make of power. IT was a 1 time on a dyno power gain. You shouldn't use that as a refernce. Do you always use this mack up ram intake kit? Oh was your hood open during this also?

Answered the first part already, Yes the hood was open it has to be to hook up the sensors for the Dyno.

If you discount the 171 it still made 167HP!!!

That is with no headers, no fancy air intake system, pre-cats intact, home made single exhaust utilizing an off the shelf Maramont converter and a Vortex V-Baffle muffler, Not a FlowMaster, not a Magniflow, not a Borla or any other high buck cat or muffler. also I will note that contrary to to some peoples opinions I did not need a $500 dollar computer tune to make this stuff work. The car is a daily driver and still gets 30mpg.

The ram air and fan showed that it will respond to more air so that will be next. I will do it the cheapest way I can with out using SVT parts so stay tuned.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/06/06 11:50 PM
This site doesn't need an update at all, it is becoming a freaking joke.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/07/06 04:40 AM
Originally posted by MaddMike2:

Answered the first part already, Yes the hood was open it has to be to hook up the sensors for the Dyno.

That is with no headers, no fancy air intake system, pre-cats intact, home made single exhaust utilizing an off the shelf Maramont converter and a Vortex V-Baffle muffler, Not a FlowMaster, not a Magniflow, not a Borla or any other high buck cat or muffler. also I will note that contrary to to some peoples opinions I did not need a $500 dollar computer tune to make this stuff work. The car is a daily driver and still gets 30mpg.

The ram air and fan showed that it will respond to more air so that will be next. I will do it the cheapest way I can with out using SVT parts so stay tuned.

Your car sounds like it's built by a back yard mechanic with cheap ebay parts.

Like map said don't update us!!!!

You don't need a 500 dollar tune oh rly(owl pic here) . lmao are you attacking people here on ceg that get tunes. Are you trying to say your car is the bomb diggidy and you can make power not needing a tune.
I don;t need a 500 dollar tune made me laugh at your
dumb a$$. Shows how noobish you are. What are ou trying to prove here with i don't need svt parts.

i bought a
resistor chip off ebay got 10hp= $15
Flowmaster muffler gained 10hp = $35
Tornado off ebay 7hp = $30 + i gained 7mpg

i spent 50 dollars and i gained 27 hp and i went over 10mpg which puts my ar to 40mpg with no tune. Am i not cool or what
Posted By: Tourige Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/07/06 05:23 AM

Your car sounds like it's built by a back yard mechanic with cheap ebay parts.

Like map said don't update us!!!!

You don't need a 500 dollar tune oh rly(owl pic here) . lmao are you attacking people here on ceg that get tunes. Are you trying to say your car is the bomb diggidy and you can make power not needing a tune.
I don;t need a 500 dollar tune made me laugh at your
dumb a$$. Shows how noobish you are. What are ou trying to prove here with i don't need svt parts.

i bought a
resistor chip off ebay got 10hp= $15
Flowmaster muffler gained 10hp = $35
Tornado off ebay 7hp = $30 + i gained 7mpg

i spent 50 dollars and i gained 27 hp and i went over 10mpg which puts my ar to 40mpg with no tune. Am i not cool or what

+1

A 450 dollar tune will get a stock SVT to 185 WHP

At least it did for a buddy. He had a cutoff airbox mod and a custom dyno tune+chip and he made 186whp.
Posted By: TRicker Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/07/06 11:46 PM
hey guys i agree with you that this guy is wrong in saying that expensive tunes are no good, or whatever he's trying to get across, but i should say. just because someone doesnt do EXACTLY what you did, doesnt mean they are wrong. how much do i get flamed for having a MSD ignition? yeah, its not necessary for everyone, and yeah, the stock stuff is more than enough. but was it not some type of IMPROVEMENT? yes! it was! and its one of the best ignitions out there! and it does what i want it to do. just like this guys cheapie exhaust, and "ram air" intake setup. leave him go, not everyone has the cash to throw down on these cars, let alone maintain them. at least SOMEONE is trying to keep the contour alive. i say you "advise" him to do what you believe is correct, but please, for the sake of the contour, dont flame him so much that he goes back to honda-tech.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 12:28 AM
Originally posted by TRicker:
hey guys i agree with you that this guy is wrong in saying that expensive tunes are no good, or whatever he's trying to get across, but i should say. just because someone doesnt do EXACTLY what you did, doesnt mean they are wrong. how much do i get flamed for having a MSD ignition? yeah, its not necessary for everyone, and yeah, the stock stuff is more than enough. but was it not some type of IMPROVEMENT? yes! it was! and its one of the best ignitions out there! and it does what i want it to do. just like this guys cheapie exhaust, and "ram air" intake setup. leave him go, not everyone has the cash to throw down on these cars, let alone maintain them. at least SOMEONE is trying to keep the contour alive. i say you "advise" him to do what you believe is correct, but please, for the sake of the contour, dont flame him so much that he goes back to honda-tech.

I kinda understand. All i stated was to not use 171 as a constant in his equation for price per hp. That is not attaking him. He responded with an imature statement. About how great he is building a cheap o system and gained power.
WOOOPIE and he didn't use svt parts wooo hooo.
That is a petty jab at a huge community on here.

That kid needs to get a life or a job.

Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 01:22 AM
What I am getting at is that the the scales are tipping on CEG.

Tom, Greg, Stazi, and even rick aren't posting much anynmore.

Instead we have guys like this who think he is gods gift to this car and doesn't need no eeeexpensive parts to make his car fast.

The fact of the matter is that CEG has an extensive history of dyno proven mods. This guy is gonna come on here and tell me he put down 171 hp with no tune and no SVT intake manifolds, and not even gutted pre cats. Instead his own home brew exhaust and an ebay intake fan...OMFG you have got to be kidding me!

I have been extensively modding this car for four freaking years and I will be damned if that is going to yield 171whp.

If so I want to go to that very dyno because I will prob throw down 225whp...

This site really is shifting. The true die hards are moving on to bigger and better cars....
Posted By: TRicker Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 01:41 AM
the true die hards are moving to OTHER cars. nobody unleashed the insane potential of the torque steering, ditch aiming, front wheel drive that we call the contour. these things can see 600HP. is it worth it, hell no. would it be badass anyways, hells yeah! $$ limits us. i dont blame the old timers for moving on, after a while things kinda get old and you need to move on because interest is lacking. thats how it goes, but damn. none of the "fast" guys pushed there cars to the max potential. and thats the only thing that bugs me about it. nobody has seen the limits
Posted By: MaddMike2 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 03:26 AM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
What I am getting at is that the the scales are tipping on CEG.

Tom, Greg, Stazi, and even rick aren't posting much anynmore.

Instead we have guys like this who think he is gods gift to this car and doesn't need no eeeexpensive parts to make his car fast.

The fact of the matter is that CEG has an extensive history of dyno proven mods. This guy is gonna come on here and tell me he put down 171 hp with no tune and no SVT intake manifolds, and not even gutted pre cats. Instead his own home brew exhaust and an ebay intake fan...OMFG you have got to be kidding me!

I have been extensively modding this car for four freaking years and I will be damned if that is going to yield 171whp.

If so I want to go to that very dyno because I will prob throw down 225whp...

This site really is shifting. The true die hards are moving on to bigger and better cars....

I was not taking a jab at anyones car or their mods, what I was trying to point out is that you do not need to throw tons of money at a Contour to make it run. I am pointing out though that the tune is not needed at this time nor does a name brand exhaust need to be used. The comment about the SVT parts was not intended as a knock on the SVT. There are parts out there that come off of say a 3.0 that just might perform better in this application and are cheaper because they do not say SVT. The SVT ECM and injectors I'm using came off guess what an SVT so I'm not knocking SVT parts. Oh by the way I also have SVT motor mounts on my car and I got flamed for that so its a no win deal with some people on here. I do not claim to have all the answers but I do know how to do research.

If you take the time to do the studying, and compare the characteristics of the exhaust flow, pulse length and velocity of the ohv V-8 compared to the exhaust characteristics of the dohc V-6 you will find out they are not the same and need to be treated differently. An Indy car style exhaust would not work on a NASCAR and vice a versa so why take for granted that an exhaust part or design that works very well on a V-8 will work on a V-6 DOHC.

My exhaust is all stainless and was welded by a professional welder at his shop which as I recall had no shade trees any were close, the design itself was discussed at length over several weeks by myself and four other die hard car nuts and is well thought out following real rules of physics. The math was done and it equaled 14 HP.

I have been to the Dyno five times for a total of 15 pulls with this car, the three best pulls to date are posted in my blog on the FCO site, I hope to have the latest sheet up by this weekend. I have documented every change I have made to the car with the dyno sheets to back them up, this way I will know if something works or it does not. I will also know what change has made the most horsepower and torque gain.

Read my post I did not say I got a fan off of ebay, it was a small floor fan that was used to move some air up the mocked up ram tube.

I have posted an invitation every time I have gone to the Dyno and guess what none of the so called gurus or any of their friends have shown up, I'm not selling a product or a pet theory, just facts backed up with Dyno numbers.

As for experience, between the five mechanics that had a part in the design of the exhaust system we have raced everything from 2 stroke go-carts to BB Fords, Chevies, Mopars and SCCA Porsche's for a total of 130+ years of experience. We have seen what works and what does not, we are not afraid to ask questions even if we get answers we do not like.

Contempt prior to investigation equals a closed mind and that my friends can lead to miss spent money and poor performance.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 09:52 PM
And you still don't have dyno plots posted up...and you did come off like a complete redneck with your "I don't need no expensive stuff..." rant.

Stop typing and post the plots.
Posted By: MaddMike2 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 10:09 PM
And you still don't have dyno plots posted up...and you did come off like a complete redneck with your "I don't need no expensive stuff..." rant.

If you read my post I said I hope to have them up by the weekend. Good things come to those who wait.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 10:34 PM

If you read my post I said I hope to have them up by the weekend. Good things come to those who wait.

Yea that only works when you wait for women, not for guys
Posted By: Tourige Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/08/06 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Harrry:

Yea that only works when you wait for women, not for guys

HEY GUYS!!@! I CUT MY AIRBOX OFF AND SLICED MY UIM IN HALF!!@#! I GOT 220WHP on teh DYNO JEt!@! SCREwe Teh MOd"S you Know Bout!@#!@

Posted By: TRicker Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 01:47 AM
HE HAS THE PLOTS POSTED ON THE FCO SITE listen to the guy for 5 seconds, geez. not like it matters, nobody posting in this thread has shown me a sheet either. i can take a pic if someone is gonna try to jab me right now, too.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 02:07 AM
Tricker, is your clutch going OUT, or is it new and slipping from that amount of torque?

Posted By: TRicker Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 02:25 AM
oh it was stock, and slipping because it could not hold the torque. i should change the sig probably, it grabs now but i havent sprayed on the new clutch.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 03:19 AM
oh it was stock, and slipping because it could not hold the torque. i should change the sig probably, it grabs now but i havent sprayed on the new clutch.

didnt you JUST install it? You shouldent be driving hard on it period, let alone spraying.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 05:07 AM
i can take a pic if someone is gonna try to jab me right now, too.

'

I would like to see how the graph spikes downward cause of the slipping clutch.

Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 01:23 PM

didnt you JUST install it? You shouldent be driving hard on it period, let alone spraying.

No where does it say he was driving hard or spraying the new clutch. Slow down and read.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 01:37 PM
When Tom, Greg, Stazi, Rick and anyone else who really made a difference on CEG first came here there was a lot of stuff not proven yet, they worked hard to experiment and find ways to make our cars better.

MaddMike2 is trying other ways (not wrong ways) to improve our cars on his own. A few years ago everyone responded there is no way a 3.0 L can fit in a contour not enough room, unless you have unlimited funds. Now itâ??s the same price or cheaper to put in a 3.0L then to replace a 2.5 L.

My point is if people don't experiment and try new things none of the mods and such on this site would have even evolved. You donâ??t have to try anything MaddMike2 is doing and can stick to the tried and true mods, but there was no reason to be so negative.

Tim
Posted By: TRicker Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 09:12 PM
i agree ^^^^

and to clarify, the dyno slip is from a few weeks ago. i have about 400 babied miles on the new clutch and in about another 200 miles i'm going to use some spray (this weekend) i can most definately get a pic of my dyno slip and some pics of my car up, i'll work on it today. i need to make a photobucket account too.

you can definately see the power loss after 4000 when he hit the button, then it climbs back up after it gets done slipping
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/09/06 10:50 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:
My point is if people don't experiment and try new things none of the mods and such on this site would have even evolved.

I agree. And I'm glad to see the experimenting continuing. There are more good things to come....
Posted By: Harrry Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/10/06 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
My point is if people don't experiment and try new things none of the mods and such on this site would have even evolved.

I agree. And I'm glad to see the experimenting continuing. There are more good things to come....

Your right if nobody has ever tried any performance on this platform. But thousands of people are out there desinging and creating new ways to produce more power. The major area's of creating power has been discorverd. It's only making them better is what people are doing. Ideas are there. The rest of the people are making up retarded ideas to making power. Tornado, resistors, electric superhargers thomas knight has one, cheap mufflers etc. Making an air intake turn right over left. Is little to nothing as of importance to making more power. Even if you made 1 hp it is waste of money and time.

Buying a ebay fan and putting it in front of ram air intake that is made from hoses etc, is not experimenting. It's called rigging. Unless you think it's genious to put a ebay fan infront our your intake. No disrespect but I hope you do well modding your cars. Cause rigging is poor experimentation that is not safe for everyday driving.

Black your car is sweet and i agree with what your saying to a point. Spending 500 dollars and bragging about it, while putting down svt . Is just retarded and disrespectful.

Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/10/06 12:12 PM

Buying a ebay fan and putting it in front of ram air intake that is made from hoses etc, is not experimenting. It's called rigging. Unless you think it's genius to put a ebay fan in front our your intake. No disrespect but I hope you do well modding your cars. Cause rigging is poor experimentation that is not safe for everyday driving.

He has made it clear that the fan was not bought off ebay, nor was he using it as a super charger. He was only trying to create an actual driving scenario, which I agree with you is not realistic for a dyno.
Maddmike2: â??The Ram air is going to be installed now that I see that it has proven to be effective, the fan was placed at the opening to simulate the car moving down the road.â?

Black your car is sweet and i agree with what your saying to a point. Spending 500 dollars and bragging about it, while putting down svt . Is just retarded and disrespectful.

Maddmike2: â??I'm not knocking SVT partsâ?
I believe he is using SVT parts on his car and he cleared it up in further posts that he is not putting down SVT.

I am just stating the facts that are in this thread and not trying to be disrespectful.
Posted By: MaddMike2 Re: Exhaust is on good Dyno numbers - 08/10/06 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Your right if nobody has ever tried any performance on this platform. But thousands of people are out there desinging and creating new ways to produce more power. The major area's of creating power has been discorverd. It's only making them better is what people are doing. Ideas are there. The rest of the people are making up retarded ideas to making power. Tornado, resistors, electric superhargers thomas knight has one, cheap mufflers etc. Making an air intake turn right over left. Is little to nothing as of importance to making more power. Even if you made 1 hp it is waste of money and time.

Buying a ebay fan and putting it in front of ram air intake that is made from hoses etc, is not experimenting. It's called rigging. Unless you think it's genious to put a ebay fan infront our your intake. No disrespect but I hope you do well modding your cars. Cause rigging is poor experimentation that is not safe for everyday driving.

You might want to try reading my post, not reading what someone else said I posted and commenting on it. Last time I type this, I did not get a fan off e-bay. Also the Ram Air when installed will be safe for everyday use. And as a last point after looking at the designs of any of the aftermarket exhaust for the the Contour they are using V-8 technology and thinking. E-mail any of them or call their tech lines and ask them how they tested their designs and what engine their mufflers were originaly designed for. Mine works and I can prove it with Dyno numbers. Oh by the way, the Dyno sheet is posted on FCO.
© CEG Archives