Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 8000RPM Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 12:46 AM
hey all, I have a 98 csvt. Ever since i got the car I have had no muflers on the back. They have been cut out, so I have straight pipes after the resonator. Since the resonator is stock I have a few questions for you all.
1) does the stock resonator restricts air flow a lot? What could I expect in terms of hp gain if I replace it with a Magnaflow
(my buddy with 99csvt cut his resonator out 2 days ago and didn't feel any difference)

2) my car sounds alsome with the stock resonator, however when I stand on the sidewalk and someone revs it up during acceleration, once the car is over 4k rpms the sound has too high pitch...how will the Magnaflow resonator affect the sound (considering that I have no mufflers) I know that the bigger the resonator, the more sound it absorbs, so I am thinking of the oval 4"x6"x19"..does that sound reasonable??? would that make it louder or quiter? lower tone maybe??
I just don't wanna sped $70 for parts and $50 for instalation and then be sorry for doing it. Thanks!!

Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 01:24 AM
i change my res. for the magnaflow one mainly for removing a bit of restriction, i did notice a little different, but just a little.
as for the soon, i was seaching for something smooth and not much more louder thant the stock one... but when i open it i can notice a different and i quit like the result... when i will get the header its will be just perfect and not too loud.
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 01:39 AM
Ask Chris from CTA Motorsports.

Aaron
Posted By: J3SVT Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 03:54 AM
Originally posted by SVT SNOB:
Ask Chris from CTA Motorsports.

Aaron

or search in duratec performance. www.justmagnaflow.com seems to be a popular website for magnaflow products, or just ebay it once you know what model you want.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 04:44 AM
You did you exhaust backwards. The SVT mufflers flow great, its the res. that needs to be replaced.
Posted By: Reebs Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 04:48 AM
Originally posted by 8000RPM:
What could I expect in terms of hp gain if I replace it with a Magnaflow

I'd say 1-3 hp depending on other mods.

-Reebs-
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 05:01 AM
i did it backwords?? well, that's how i bought it. to be hones with you i don't think it was done for hp gain, but more for the sound, coz everything else was stock. if it was for the hp, the car would have had other mods on it. either way, will a magnaflow give less hp gain than replacing the resonator with a pipe??? and also, would the car get louder, or would it just change the sounds but remaid with the same loudness??
thanks
Posted By: Reebs Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 05:22 AM
i did it backwords?? well, that's how i bought it. to be hones with you i don't think it was done for hp gain, but more for the sound, coz everything else was stock. if it was for the hp, the car would have had other mods on it. either way, will a magnaflow give less hp gain than replacing the resonator with a pipe??? and also, would the car get louder, or would it just change the sounds but remaid with the same loudness??
thanks

Question: Will a magnaflow give less hp gain than replacing the resonator with a pipe???

There would not be any noticeable power difference between a straight through high flow res or just a straight pipe in place of the res.

I would not recommend taking out your resonator. My car didn't have one when I bought it and it sounded like doo doo. You can basically have any high flow straight through resonator put on, as long as it is the right size internally. The reason the straight through SVT resonator is restrictive, is because the SVT's exhaust is 2.25 in leading up to the resonator... then it drops down to 2 inches inside the resonator , and then returns to 2.25 inches for the rest of its length.

Question: Would the car get louder, or would it just change the sounds but remain with the same loudness??

The car would defenitly have more tone to it... if you go the route of no resonator at all (which I would discourage against), you will have lots of drone on the freeway.

Louder... yes, but more so for tone.

I am falling asleep writing thi so I hope this makes sense and helps out.

-Reebs-

Posted By: J3SVT Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 04:09 PM
A buddy of mine has straight through mufflers and a 10435 resonator IIRC on his SVT and it sounds pretty good IMO. Horsepower gains, like said earlier, will be about 1-3 hp.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 05:03 PM
im satisfied by mine
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/07/06 10:38 PM
And this is still not Dyno/Drag related, (at least not on my [fairly quick] skimming)
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 01:50 AM
J3SVT, what kind of straight through muflers does your friend has??? because the 10435 is a 4" round and will not restrict any sound at all. and my problem is that i do not have any muflers..just straight pipes. does any one has straight pipes with a magnaflow resonator??? anyone?

ok, so i took my friend's resonator that was cut out two days ago, and I compared it to mine that's on the car. the two are not the same. his is a bit longer, and has a ford stamp on it with a part number. mine has none of that. why is that? are the 98 E0 and 99 E1 with different resonators? or is mine already changed with an aftermarket one??? any ideas?
thanks again

p.s. i know it's not drag related topic, but i figured that since it has to do with hp gains, you guys are most likely to know about all that...

thank you all for the help!!
Posted By: J3SVT Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 04:43 AM
J3SVT, what kind of straight through muflers does your friend has??? because the 10435 is a 4" round and will not restrict any sound at all. and my problem is that i do not have any muflers..just straight pipes. does any one has straight pipes with a magnaflow resonator??? anyone?

ok, so i took my friend's resonator that was cut out two days ago, and I compared it to mine that's on the car. the two are not the same. his is a bit longer, and has a ford stamp on it with a part number. mine has none of that. why is that? are the 98 E0 and 99 E1 with different resonators? or is mine already changed with an aftermarket one??? any ideas?
thanks again

p.s. i know it's not drag related topic, but i figured that since it has to do with hp gains, you guys are most likely to know about all that...

thank you all for the help!!

sorry, that's what i meant, straight through, no mufflers, with just a magnaflow resonator
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 06:25 AM
so its not too loud?? how would you compare it to a mustand GT or a cobra? isn't it loud inside the cabin? r u sure that's the magnaflow number? dunno, it just seems to be too small to be used without mufler...but thanks for the help...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 01:28 PM
Why is this still in dyno & drag?

Mark
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 01:35 PM
I will be running the Dragon next week and we may get to drag race at a Tennessee track during our trip. At those elevations, will I be able to break into single digit quater mile times with my V6 Mystique?

If so, what height above grade will I have to drop my car from, or how much downhill slope will the drag strip have to have for me to accomplish this?

There, now it's drag related.

Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 01:42 PM
so its not too loud?? how would you compare it to a mustand GT or a cobra? isn't it loud inside the cabin? r u sure that's the magnaflow number? dunno, it just seems to be too small to be used without mufler...but thanks for the help...

its just louder when you open it ! nothing to much
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 02:20 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I will be running the Dragon next week and we may get to drag race at a Tennessee track during our trip. At those elevations, will I be able to break into single digit quater mile times with my V6 Mystique?

If so, what height above grade will I have to drop my car from, or how much downhill slope will the drag strip have to have for me to accomplish this?

LOL. When running the dragon, and going around a mountain, just jerk the wheel and send yourself plummeting over the edge. I'd be willing to be that'd be downhill enough for you to hit your single digit 1/4 mile time. Let us know how it goes!

Mark
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

LOL. When running the dragon, and going around a mountain, just jerk the wheel and send yourself plummeting over the edge. I'd be willing to be that'd be downhill enough for you to hit your single digit 1/4 mile time. Let us know how it goes!

I wasn't there at the time, but I'm told that ChattavegasSE tried that once. Legend has it; he was unable to complete the 1/4 mile because of all the trees.

Posted By: 8000RPM Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 05:43 PM
ok man. since i am thinking of going to the track soon (first time) what do you think i will do with a 98 csvt with a superchip, short ram, straight through pipes, engine mount insert (might not help a lot) and 225/50 R16 Pirelly Pzeros? On the gtech i got a 14.9 sec 1/4mile @101.1 mph. is that what i can expect on the track?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 08:41 PM
Should be close.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/08/06 11:25 PM
15.1 @ about 94-95, would be my guess.. but exactly "how" good you are is a mystery to me.

Posted By: 8000RPM Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/09/06 01:01 AM
they call me The MASTER:)) I guess I am good. on the gtech i do 0-60 for 6.7 (my fastest time) and 6.8 is my average...and i know that car is not faster than 6.9 (stock for E1) and mine is 195hp, not 200hp. well, since i have never been to a track before, will i get a 0-60?? if not, where should I go to get that??
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/09/06 01:03 AM
The track doesn't "measure" your speed except at the 1/8th and 1/4 marks.

SOME (and I emphasize SOME) tracks will calculate (read: guess) your 60mph time using the time measurements that they DO have.

Posted By: 8000RPM Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/09/06 05:22 AM
hmm i see. that sucks. well here is the non drag related part again:) don't complain though...
so i spoke with the "head" mechaninc at a ford dealership. he was fixing my A/C so we started speaking about his cobra's exhaust and what not. so he said that if the car has too little back pressure, is not good, and will often result into a slower lauch from a stop position. like in my case, no rear mufflers, and if i put a magnaflow...what that be considered with no/low back pressure?? and is it like a drawback? any clues?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Magnaflow exgaust - 06/09/06 01:51 PM
search up on "back pressure myth"

that's all it is. Though I wouldn't jump at the "head" mechanic's neck for thinking the same thing.. it is a VERY POPULAR myth, at that.

Dyno gains have been proven and posted with nothing on the block at all/headers only on the block. Someone else will chime in on this, too, as someone always does on CEG!

© CEG Archives