Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 02:20 PM
Here is the dyno I had done the other day to show where I was at before the actual break in. There is room for improvment too.

Buckshot Motorsports balanced Duratec 3L shortblock w/...
* Modified (for use with split port 3L UIM / Heavily Mod'd LIM) & PnP'd Tumble port heads w/ CC matched combustion chambers, Full radius valve grind, ST220 springs and resurfaced .003"
* 9.5:1 CR
* SVT Intake/Exhaust Cams
* +1mm SP Pistons w/ custom moly rings
* Clevite 77 rod & main bearings
* DMD
* UD Alt & P/S pulleys
* Updated Oil Pan, windage tray and pick-up
* 1 qt Accusump Oil Accumulator

Custom Turbo System and Exhaust (Fabricated by me )
* Mod'd MSDS Ceramic coated Headers
* 2"-2.25" 321 SS Mandrel bent crossover pipe
* 3" 304L SS mandrel bent Turbo-back exhaust w/ 3" High-flow Cat, straight back to 3"-2.5" quasi dual's w/ Apexi N1 Black Chrome Mufflers
* Garrett T3/T04E .57/.63
* TiAl 38mm External Wastegate (w/ 3.63psi spring)
* Custom Spearco air/liquid intercooler 2-231 (Core size is 4.5" x 10.125" x 4.5" and flows 700 CFM)
* Lightning IC pump
* Type H-RFL BOV

Induction, Fuel Delivery, Tuning, ect.
* 90mm Lightning MAF
* 70mm Accufab TB w/ SVT TB spring
* PnP'd Aluminum 3L UIM
* PnP'd/Gutted LIM (No one has ported/reshaped their LIM like this to my knowledge )
* #36 injectors
* Walbro 255 fuel pump
* SCT Pro Racer Tuning Software w/ 4 bank chip and burner
* SCT Raptor Real time Datalogger
* Innovate LM1/LM2 wideband O2 and datalogger
* Alex C. Peper's OBDII Scanner/Datalogging Software
* Craptastic 800MHZ Toshiba Satellite Laptop dedicated to SVT's tuning

My engine is only seeing 3.5 psi after the pressure drop of my IC. The run was shut down at 5850 RPM for some odd reason. I will have another run once my break in tune is finished, hopefully tomorrow.

Note: These are 'uncorrected' numbers from a Mustang dyno, the same where Fastcoug's basketcase Turbo SVT put out 230HP/203TQ at somewhere around 8-10psi.

Thoughts?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 02:34 PM
3.5!
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 02:54 PM
Looks damn good to me, especially at 3.5 psi.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 03:15 PM
My thoughts:
All your hard work is paying off. Freakin' sweet, Daymon.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 03:15 PM
wow, thats awesome!
gotta love the torque. all that, and only 3.5psi
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 03:32 PM
Originally posted by todras:
3.5!

on a mustang dyno!!! Congrats dude!!! when's the group buy on your kit? I want one
Posted By: Stazi Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 03:39 PM
Damn she's rich - get her up to 12.5:1 and about 10psi and LOOK OUT!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 04:49 PM
Looks good. Running rich though.

I'm guessing that during the winter the uncorrected numbers are going to be higher than the corrected numbers....meaning the engine will definitely perform much better in cold dense air than it will in the heat of summer.
Be nice if you also showed those since most dyno's are posted with some sort of temperature and pressure correction. There's SAE, STD and some others.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 05:31 PM
I noticed it said 9.5CR...does this thing have forged pistons or is that head work that did that? If pistons...why only 10psi...how about 15...16...20
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 07:28 PM
OEM aftermakret replacement pistons (not forged or lower CR) CR was lowered through the head work.

Rick
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 07:35 PM
So when that thing finally sees some real boost we gonna have a new record on our hands or what? Looking sweet so far!

You better bring that ish to Colorado one time so I can get a ride!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 07:45 PM
Jim's car would own eveyrone if he had it tuned porperly and turned up the boost....well at least for now.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Jim's car would own eveyrone if he had it tuned porperly and turned up the boost....well at least for now.

hmmmm....somethin fishy about that statement....
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/22/05 10:21 PM
Not to speak for Jim or anything, but come Spring time and when the weather clears, final tuning will be high priority. That thing is going to be a monster!

Mark
Posted By: Harrry Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/23/05 01:45 AM
great job, looking good so far!! keep us posted!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/23/05 03:14 PM
I'm not looking to be any HP/TQ record setter, I just want a usable amount of power. Once I get my mits on a kick ass EBC that adjusts the boost per wheel speed or the like, I will fine tune with it in hopes of being able to run usable amounts of boost.

Jim (and perhaps Stazi or Stlov....WHEN they finish their cars ) will be running much more boost and will be able to run higher numbers.

Yes, it's a bit rich.... but deffinatly room for improvment. BTW, the shop was in the 50's when the dyno run was made. I just wish they'd gone to redline to show the actual HP it can put down in it's currant state.
Posted By: mmarfan_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/24/05 02:51 AM
What's your target PSI?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/24/05 03:00 AM
12psi is the target for now, but that might be more power for daily driving than I want.

One major issue I've had ever since installing my turbo 3L into my Contour. I now have boost dependant turrets syndrome "Holy F&%^!" ::twitch twitch::
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/28/05 08:06 PM
Swazo,

Maybe a timed boost controller is what you might want. I friend has one in his 99 SI. He could set X amount of seconds and it would go from low boost to high boost. He had it change for him sometime right after he shifted to 3rd.

Just a thought.

E.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/28/05 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
I'm not looking to be any HP/TQ record setter, I just want a usable amount of power.

That's the key, in a FWD platform sure high HP/TQ numbers look good...but is it usable?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/29/05 04:07 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I'm not looking to be any HP/TQ record setter, I just want a usable amount of power.

That's the key, in a FWD platform sure high HP/TQ numbers look good...but is it usable?

Now I'm putting a lot of effort into making my car able to use the power it will be putting down.
*H&R Springs(already have) w/ Blistien struts(still need)
*SF connectors (GB)
*LCA box-in plates (GB)
*Shore 94A roll restrictors(already have)
*Axels that are snap resistant (Will need )
*GOOD EBC to properly put down the power onhand(still need and am doing my research)
*Light weight wheels w/ 235-245 meats(still need)
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/29/05 07:57 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Now I'm putting a lot of effort into making my car able to use the power it will be putting down.
*H&R Springs(already have) w/ Blistien struts(still need)
*SF connectors (GB)
*LCA box-in plates (GB)
*Shore 94A roll restrictors(already have)
*Axels that are snap resistant (Will need )
*GOOD EBC to properly put down the power onhand(still need and am doing my research)
*Light weight wheels w/ 235-245 meats(still need)

+ new longer studs and 25mm spacers!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/29/05 09:45 PM
Why? Unless he's got 13" brakes with wheels that won't clear, I see no reason to add spacers. Why push your wheels out if you don't have to?

Mark
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/29/05 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Why? Unless he's got 13" brakes with wheels that won't clear, I see no reason to add spacers. Why push your wheels out if you don't have to?

Mark

how is he gonna fit 8" of rubber in those wheel wells!?
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/29/05 11:06 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

Mark

how is he gonna fit 8" of rubber in those wheel wells!?

235's will fit all day long
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/29/05 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
245/45/16's here on SSR GT1 rims. I used a 5mm spacer in the rear to clear the struts and then some major fender rolling and trimming to get them fit in the rear. Of course I'm also running on eibachs so undropped cars shouldhave as much problem with rubbing. They tires fit perfectly up front with no spacers.

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/30/05 01:43 PM
I had some 245/50/16's(drag radials) on the front, on stock E1's Only had them on a couple of days for when I went to the track. They'd rub on quick turns, and the abs light would come on over 45mph. But I wouldn't think he'd be running that large of a sidewall.

Mark
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/30/05 01:52 PM
I had some 245/50/16's(drag radials) on the front, on stock E1's Only had them on a couple of days for when I went to the track. They'd rub on quick turns, and the abs light would come on over 45mph. But I wouldn't think he'd be running that large of a sidewall.

Mark

Still got those tires?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/30/05 02:01 PM
I actually was borrowing them from a friend of mine. He had them on his SHO. They're actually perfect fit for a Mustang.

Mark
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 12/30/05 02:16 PM
I've got a full set of 245/45/16's brand new if anyone is interested in them.

Rick
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/22/06 01:18 AM
I've been putting some decent milage on my car lately with no problems what at all. Everything is going well, and I am getting ready to get some dyno time in for the final tuning and to turn up the boost.

Any guesses as to what my car will put down @ 12 psi?
Posted By: 98SVTSilver Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/22/06 02:03 AM
Assuming consistant tune, on a mustang dyno, I say 370.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/22/06 06:23 PM
I've been putting some decent milage on my car lately with no problems what at all. Everything is going well, and I am getting ready to get some dyno time in for the final tuning and to turn up the boost.

Any guesses as to what my car will put down @ 12 psi?

On the same dyno with minimum temperature/humidity/Baro pressure standardization.....

325 wHP.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/22/06 08:52 PM
I doubt that's all I will get with this setup. Luckily for me and others, you paved the way for DIY turbo kits on Contiques. Before, people were scoffed at for doing anything other than a ADC/SF turbo kit.
I noted what you had done with your previous kit, what you had noted as possible upgrades and used them as a starting point and I added my own ideas into the mix. My 3L itself is another aspect that was improved upon.

In all reality, I would have gotten 270HP +/- if my dyno run had gone to redline. I had a misfire issue that kept me from doing so. That was also on 3.5psi, 91 octane and so-so timing.

Now my car is performing much better on the same tune I ran that day, and an altered version with less fuel.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 01:45 AM
Sorry, I thought you dyno'd on a mustang dyno. I figured on somewhat lower than dynojet readings (assuming they aren't corrected to match dynojet).

12psi on a dynoject, probably 350 on the low end to be honest with your present tune. It hasn't been optimized yet. Depending on fuel, timing, temperature, grade of gas, as much as 400whp.

Either way I know you will do very very well! Trust me, I WANT you to have the highest numbers to date. I expect that if you can run 14psi, that you will handily break 400HP.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 01:56 AM
You're right about the mustang dyno, but the first numbers were uncorrected to begin with . I'll be using the same dyno and the weather is more or less the same as it was in december when the first run was made.

Now it's down to getting enough time to take it down there. The plan is to work on the currant tune while running 3.5psi, then turn up the boost (target is 12psi, but we'll see) with 91 octane in mind. Then, I'll be doing a race/dyno queen tune for 113 octane
Posted By: stilov Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 02:54 AM
what about me Tom? Do you want me to do well? (in a whiney voice)
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 02:56 AM
You can sustain about 6 psi on your current tune. I wouldn't be afraid to take it to six with the way your car looked with the last run as long as your intercooler is working fine. That may give you a better understanding now of how your fuel delivery system is going to react to increased boost (i.e. is it GOING to work ) and will save you time on your way to get 12psi. I was able to run 5.83psi, you know...the yellow spring for the Tial wastegate...without an intercooler and minimal tuning and it was pretty good until I got the engine really hot on like my third run down the strip where I popped those pistons.

Oh, I forgot to update you on the fact that I increased my boost level to 12psi this weekend and have been running it that way going back and forth to work. HOLY smokes it is insane. I don't think stock axles are going to last if I were to leave it there all the time. In the morning there is NO WAY to hold traction in third gear beyond half throttle!
If I'm holding the speed constant in third, you know around 4500, maybe 60mph or so and I start gently rolling into an acceleration, it will just break the tires free so that I'm doing 70mph and I'm spinning out! Of course keeping it about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle under accel can keep traction.
When it warmed up during the day I was able to hold traction on good road if I rolled easy into the throttle in 3rd gear....and it felt like I was in 1st gear at about 6psi! Hahahaha (all up to the posted speed limits on the highway of course!)
I can leave my car in 5th and still outaccelerate most cars from 50mph.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 02:58 AM
No, I hate YOUR car!

Of course, but you can have your crack at the title after he takes it!
Posted By: stilov Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 03:21 AM
good point...
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 05:03 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
You can sustain about 6 psi on your current tune. I wouldn't be afraid to take it to six with the way your car looked with the last run as long as your intercooler is working fine. That may give you a better understanding now of how your fuel delivery system is going to react to increased boost (i.e. is it GOING to work ) and will save you time on your way to get 12psi. I was able to run 5.83psi, you know...the yellow spring for the Tial wastegate...without an intercooler and minimal tuning and it was pretty good until I got the engine really hot on like my third run down the strip where I popped those pistons.

Oh, I forgot to update you on the fact that I increased my boost level to 12psi this weekend and have been running it that way going back and forth to work. HOLY smokes it is insane. I don't think stock axles are going to last if I were to leave it there all the time. In the morning there is NO WAY to hold traction in third gear beyond half throttle!
If I'm holding the speed constant in third, you know around 4500, maybe 60mph or so and I start gently rolling into an acceleration, it will just break the tires free so that I'm doing 70mph and I'm spinning out! Of course keeping it about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle under accel can keep traction.
When it warmed up during the day I was able to hold traction on good road if I rolled easy into the throttle in 3rd gear....and it felt like I was in 1st gear at about 6psi! Hahahaha (all up to the posted speed limits on the highway of course!)
I can leave my car in 5th and still outaccelerate most cars from 50mph.

man i'd love to go for a ride in that car...if i drive all the way to ala. we could go for a spin right?....i was watching a vid on streetfire with a srt4,it was riding down the road had it in third and spun the tires at 70mph..and they were all like freaking out...i imagine you being the same way ..i would
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 05:36 AM
Except remember his SVT weighs about 3500lbs with him in it and it has sticky 245/45'/17's on it. Blowing the tires free at half throttle in 3rd (70mph) is beyond insane. Well past 350 wheels I bet.

Oh yeah that's bouncing off the limiter, 350+ HP, and stock rods. Who knew.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 04:12 PM
Yep, IF you come down here to visit, we'll go for a ride on a back road. It has a few twisties in it and even going at the speed limit will be fun.

Of course unless I sell it that is.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 04:18 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Except remember his SVT weighs about 3500lbs with him in it and it has sticky 245/45'/17's on it. Blowing the tires free at half throttle in 3rd (70mph) is beyond insane. Well past 350 wheels I bet.

Oh yeah that's bouncing off the limiter, 350+ HP, and stock rods. Who knew.

Yep, you're correct, it did suprise me a bit. Now I have to modulate the pedal even in third, but I can shift into 5th by 50mph and never have to downshift again lol!
Oh, and the fuel.....it sucks down the gas at 12psi. I just thought you guys should know that.
I still got 16.8 mostly city with a bit of mixed highway. I don't know if that sucks or not, but it sure is a hell of a lot better than I used to get! lol
With my ADC chip I'd only get 12-13 in the city at around 8-9psi.

I'm not going to leave it up there all the time. I just want to run around town pegging som high boost acceleration and testing the reliability of it for a little while. With the traction issues though it is totally NOT FEASIBLE to run a 3L on 12psi and 10:1 compression for anthing but a low/high boost switch when you hit 4th gear plus.

With a two-stage boost controller and this tune, I'd run 5psi low and probably 10-12psi high.

I'm thinking of taking some video of the dash on one of my little back road jaunts this week.....
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 05:25 PM

I'm thinking of taking some video of the dash on one of my little back road jaunts this week.....

And I'll gladly watch those vids.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/24/06 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Derk-xB:

I remember a documentary a while ago of some ones car. At the end they where in your car, and the screen read something like coming this summer!! U where pulling into a spot at a gas station!!!

I believe it was with about a cougar doing pulls on the road and e-way/drag strip?? And then at the end ur car??

SO lets complete that video. I would really like to see ur car.!!
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/25/06 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Arhethia:
Originally posted by Derk-xB:

I remember a documentary a while ago of some ones car. At the end they where in your car, and the screen read something like coming this summer!! U where pulling into a spot at a gas station!!!

I believe it was with about a cougar doing pulls on the road and e-way/drag strip?? And then at the end ur car??

SO lets complete that video. I would really like to see ur car.!!

anybody have a link to that video?
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 01/25/06 02:07 AM
Congrats on the dyno pull, even if it was only 3.5lbs thats damn impressive and is enough for the street, thats for sure. I say this because I drove JD's Dads car last weekend (2.5L built w/ turbo putting out 12 psi) and it was overwhelming the front tires and I can't imagine that thing set at its 17 psi level where it pulled 400 hp. Good luck with your car and keep us posted when you crank it up
Posted By: acammer Re: Semi-Tuned Dyno run @ 3.5 psi - 02/08/06 04:44 AM
Video yet?
Posted By: Swazo Pretty Much Tuned Dyno run @ 10 psi - 04/21/06 09:49 PM
It turns out the phone guesstimate was off a bit on the torque (I was told 350/360 ). But considering that this mustang dyno is the lowest in town by 40-50HP/TQ, I'm happy. I should be getting some dyno runs of other cars (Terminators and Lightnings) that are easier to tell if this dyno is a ringer or not.

They're only running it to 6K, which limited the HP output shown. This was on 10 psi, 12+ psi was popping the PCV valve off and would oil the turbo up little bit, and smoke out the shop

I'm going to redo my PCV system a little and wrap a few other things up, and go in for the 12-14psi run. I may even get a dynojet run to show what I'd get on one..... if the price is right w/o an AFR run

Warmonger was right about the outside temp playing a factor. This was at 70 or more.

More dyno time in the very near future after I play with the tune a little more and refine my setup.
Posted By: 99SEsport2K4 Re: Pretty Much Tuned Dyno run @ 10 psi - 04/21/06 10:41 PM
Those are some awesome numbers , they're very close to Warmonger's. Do you guys have the same setup? How bout some vids in the near future?

I wish I had money for a turbo kit and didnt have a pos slushbox.
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
It turns out the phone guesstimate was off a bit on the torque (I was told 350/360 ). But considering that this mustang dyno is the lowest in town by 40-50HP/TQ, I'm happy. I should be getting some dyno runs of other cars (Terminators and Lightnings) that are easier to tell if this dyno is a ringer or not.

They're only running it to 6K, which limited the HP output shown. This was on 10 psi, 12+ psi was popping the PCV valve off and would oil the turbo up little bit, and smoke out the shop

I'm going to redo my PCV system a little and wrap a few other things up, and go in for the 12-14psi run. I may even get a dynojet run to show what I'd get on one..... if the price is right w/o an AFR run

Warmonger was right about the outside temp playing a factor. This was at 70 or more.

More dyno time in the very near future after I play with the tune a little more and refine my setup.

Those are very good numbers and pretty good air fuel. You should be good for 12-14psi once you clamp everything down.
Make sure that 3.5# wastegate spring isn't opening just from the exhaust pressure on its own like mine was, that will limit peak power significantly.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pretty Much Tuned Dyno run @ 10 psi - 04/22/06 02:55 AM
Once I get all these little issues worked out, I may switch over to the larger spring for good messure.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pretty Much Tuned Dyno run @ 10 psi - 04/22/06 02:58 AM
Originally posted by 99SEsport2004:
Those are some awesome numbers , they're very close to Warmonger's. Do you guys have the same setup? How bout some vids in the near future?

I wish I had money for a turbo kit and didnt have a pos slushbox.

Thanks. Yes, I have a very simular setup to Warmongers. I just looked at his last run again and about when I saw how close my numbers are to his.

ADC will have something for your slushbox Contour
© CEG Archives