Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
My buddy just got 00 Contour SVT and its bone stock except CAI
I was wandering on how many rpms is best launch and on how many rpms is the best shift points
6500 in first.

Redline (6900ish) in the rest.
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
6500 in first.

Yes launch your car at 6500. It pulls like no other.
Originally posted by Arhethia:
6500 in first.

Yes launch your car at 6500. It pulls like no other.

LMAO...i am pretty sure he was not referring to the launch when he said 6500.

for a stock SVT i would rev to about 3k or so, and not "launch" it...but rather do a lil clutch slipping with NO wheel hop if possible!
Stock differentials are weak and wheel hop is bad. Launch carefully!
Originally posted by Big_B:
wheel hop is bad.

i can fix that
Originally posted by pole120:
Originally posted by Big_B:
wheel hop is bad.

i can fix that

You can make wheel hop good?

Mark

Grrrrrrrrr.....

Thats all i have to say to you today Mark
6500 in first.

Those are of course shift points. It would be silly to think otherwise now wouldn't it.

The launch point is basically off idle (2-3k rpm) A quick slip and go. The diff won't handle much abuse!
my best time came from 5500 rpm launch. street tires, stock diff / it didnt break and i got a great 60ft.
Where is the video?
Originally posted by Marky:
Where is the video?

hmm i was wondering the same thing??

Originally posted by Arhethia:
Originally posted by Marky:
Where is the video?

hmm i was wondering the same thing??

Hahaa, this guy again!

Mark
Oh Chad's cousin!?
5500 is not agresive for launching????
i have a swaped 3.0 csvt 98.5 and k&n element and
launch to 3500 and i feel if i rev to upper range i will broke something
The stock diferentials are glass, and any kind of clutch dunp launch is likely to break it requardless of RPM.

My theory is this, corerct me if i'm wrong:

2.5's have no torgue down low like the 3.0's do, because of this it is benificial(when equipment can handle it) to launch at a higher rpm to keep the revs where the power is. Hence you 3l guys can keep the rev's low, but the 2.5's need to be higher.

I pulled my 15.1 with a 4500-5000 RPM launch. I'm on a stock diff, and wouldn't launch if i cared about it breaking. I'm not saying i believe this person in particular but isn't it possible to achieve mid 14's with an svt, i mean SE's have pulled 14.8's in the right conditions and propper driving, whats stopping an svt.

i was always under the impression that you should launch at peak torque.
Originally posted by 99SEsport2004:
i was always under the impression that you should launch at peak torque.

so if i have a 99 civic Si i should launch at 7000rpm?
Your car must sound like it is going to blow up if you launch it that high up in the rpm band.

Sure you might want to launch at peak torque if you could get traction. If you go any higher than 3k your just going to burn the crap out of your tires and blow your differential into tiny little pieces.
Originally posted by Blackcoog:
Your car must sound like it is going to blow up if you launch it that high up in the rpm band.

Sure you might want to launch at peak torque if you could get traction. If you go any higher than 3k your just going to burn the crap out of your tires and blow your differential into tiny little pieces.

agreed...i have some tires and a diff to prove it lol.
Originally posted by Blackcoog:

if you go any lower than 3k on an N/A 2.5( in my experience) your rev's drop considerably, then your trying to take off with the secondaries closed......and there is far less "oomph" down there.

it's worked out for me so far, and my diff is in one piece(amazingly after all i've put it through), The high RPM launches were a track day experiment that happened to work out very well for me, whether it's best or not it don't know, that conclusiuon will have to waite untill i get more test time next season.
Josh, your rpm's are dropping because you aren't feathering the clutch enough. You need to feather it enough to get the car moving, all while keeping the rpm's at ~3000 rpm's. Once you feel(and you'll know it when you do) the car has enough momentum, and your rpm's are in that 3000 band, the clutch can be let out completely and the accelerator to the floor.

Mark
Thanks mark, I have never attempted what you have described....yet another method to attempt.
I made a really good launch like this out "practicing"
Run it to about 3k, let off clutch smoothly and as you get going the clutch should be most of the way out then let it out all the way as you mash the gas to the floor. Only time i launched like this I had some light wheelspin and didnt back down, it grabbed traction by itself no problem.
© CEG Archives