Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVTspazz Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/24/05 12:46 AM
My friend has 2000 Focus Kona edition. His Zetec currently has UDP, CAI, Headers and a chip. I am stock with the SVT, we'll be running the 1/8th mile. I picked him to be on top when all is said and done, but what do you think?

P.S. My last 1/8th mile was 10.4
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/24/05 03:52 AM
You will most likely beat him.
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/24/05 05:21 AM
Methinks with proper shifting, the Focus is gonna get you by a little, if not a tie. It all depends on how much the audio systems weigh
Posted By: Korfu Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/24/05 05:51 AM
The kona edition isnt any different from just a regular 00-01 Zetec Focus. Pretty mucht he Kona came with some different body trim and a Bike.

You shoul be able to beat the focus. You should be able to beat a FSVT.

Good luck!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/25/05 02:13 AM
Depends on the driver. A 10.4 in the 1/8 with a svt pretty much sucks, so you really gotta drive better.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/25/05 02:55 AM
I say you should win...My best 1/8 was 9.84 (on 1/4 mile runs that is) and at an SVTOA event I beat several modded Focus SVT's easily with at the time pretty much stock SVT. Even ran one with a S/C and beat him too not sure why just think he was affraid to open it up
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/25/05 07:22 PM
Originally posted by scottd60:
I say you should win...My best 1/8 was 9.84 (on 1/4 mile runs that is) and at an SVTOA event I beat several modded Focus SVT's easily with at the time pretty much stock SVT. Even ran one with a S/C and beat him too not sure why just think he was affraid to open it up

wow in my 1/8 best run i made 10.30 stock and pirelli p6000 front tires r16 launching in 2800rpm and that was my best and my worst was 10.55 im impressed with the 9.84 in the 1/8 mile run you did
Posted By: jlyon Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/27/05 04:13 PM
Originally posted by spazz:
My friend has 2000 Focus Kona edition. His Zetec currently has UDP, CAI, Headers and a chip. I am stock with the SVT, we'll be running the 1/8th mile. I picked him to be on top when all is said and done, but what do you think?

P.S. My last 1/8th mile was 10.4

no offence, but that 10.4 sux. i had a 99 extended cab f150 that made a best pass of 10.06@69mph, and it weighed 5015lbs with me in. i had a 2000 v6 mustang 5spd, no mods, and ran a best 9.85@73mph. i guess i could keep going, but i think that if you learn to drive it better, you should win. is his an auto or 5spd?
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/27/05 06:36 PM
I raced a Kona(stock) at the track and it ran a 17.7 I had like 3 cars on him.
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/27/05 08:37 PM
None taken, I only had had the car acouple of weeks when I ran it, and its a 5 spd.

Hopefully if we both can get some time off this Thursday will be race day.
Posted By: jlyon Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/27/05 08:42 PM
Originally posted by spazz:
None taken, I only had had the car acouple of weeks when I ran it, and its a 5 spd.

Hopefully if we both can get some time off this Thursday will be race day.

i know the SVT is a 5spd, what about the Kona?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/27/05 08:45 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

was he driving the car or on the bike?
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/28/05 12:12 AM
Originally posted by jlyon:
i know the SVT is a 5spd, what about the Kona?

I was referring to the Kona
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/30/05 04:10 PM
The SVT is a 6 speed
Posted By: jlyon Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/30/05 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SILFROSvT98:
The SVT is a 6 speed

i thought the SVT contour was a 5spd and i know the SVT focus was a 6spd.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/30/05 06:11 PM
Originally posted by svt4stv:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

was he driving the car or on the bike?

It's a slower track. I really don't get it everyone runs slower times there than the other closest track Lapeer. I ran a 15.8 at 91mph. That was a solid trap for my car at the time.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 09/30/05 06:23 PM
Originally posted by jlyon:
Originally posted by SILFROSvT98:
The SVT is a 6 speed

i thought the SVT contour was a 5spd and i know the SVT focus was a 6spd.

you are correct. he was referring to the FSVT.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/02/05 08:07 PM
You should win, even if you screw up royally.

Foci are slow. UDP, header, and a chip means just about nothing other than alot more noise and about another 6hp over stock.

I've been driving mine for 3 years, moved into it from a regular old 1996 MTX duratec GL. That Contour spanks my Focus handily so your's should do even better.
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Honkeytonk Monkey:

Foci are slow. UDP, header, and a chip means just about nothing other than alot more noise and about another 6hp over stock.

I've been driving mine for 3 years, moved into it from a regular old 1996 MTX duratec GL. That Contour spanks my Focus handily so your's should do even better.

Agreed. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to beat him - and by a lot, at that. The FSVT has 15% less horsepower than the CSVT, 170 vs. 200. However, it's at most, what, 10% lighter? Bottom line, the CSVT is a quicker car.

By the way, I do believe 10.4 sounds about right for the 1/8th mile for a completely stock CSVT.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Rishodi:

Agreed. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to beat him - and by a lot, at that. The FSVT has 15% less horsepower than the CSVT, 170 vs. 200. However, it's at most, what, 10% lighter? Bottom line, the CSVT is a quicker car.

By the way, I do believe 10.4 sounds about right for the 1/8th mile for a completely stock CSVT.

The Kona focus is not an SVT, and does not have 170hp.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 05:19 AM

Well check your ears, because it's not right. I ran 11 flat with my auto zetec which would run ATLEAST 2 seconds slower in the 1/4. So a svt would have to do a lot better than .6 seconds quicker by the 1/8 to win by atleast 2 seconds in the 1/4.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 02:54 PM
10.4 is mostly an inexperienced driver...i ran a 10 flat in the 1/8 with my cougar...it had 18's, an intake, and a True Borla exhaust
Posted By: jlyon Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 03:17 PM
i honestly would have thought the csvt would be faster then what everyone thinks. these times seem pretty slow to me. what kind of MPH are you guys getting, both 1/8 and 1/4. my 99 F150 extended cab was running 10.2's @ 69 mph with a best of 10.06 @ 69 in the 1/8. my truck weighed 5015 with me in it.
Posted By: 99SEsport2K4 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Marky:

I believe he was comparing CSVT vs FSVT
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/07/05 11:45 PM
Originally posted by 99SEsport2004:

I believe he was comparing CSVT vs FSVT

See subject line.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/08/05 12:57 AM
You will win, easily.
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/11/05 11:37 PM

I know. I was comparing against the FSVT because it is faster. The CSVT can surely beat the FSVT and thus the Kona as well. In other words, my argument was this: FSVT > Kona. CSVT > FSVT. Thus, CSVT > Kona.

Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Well check your ears, because it's not right. I ran 11 flat with my auto zetec which would run ATLEAST 2 seconds slower in the 1/4. So a svt would have to do a lot better than .6 seconds quicker by the 1/8 to win by atleast 2 seconds in the 1/4.

The CSVT on the 1/8th mile is a low 10's car. If it runs anything under 10 seconds, it would be hard to believe that something's not up - either it's not stock, there's something screwy about the track, etc. And in case you weren't aware, the CSVT pulls really hard in the top end. That's why the 1/8th mile time looks comparatively slow, while the car is able to product a respectable low-to-mid 15's 1/4th mile time totally stock. If you doubt what I'm saying, do a search on the stock CSVT specs and stats.
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/12/05 11:02 PM
We finally raced I just havent got around to posting the results in a couple days. And like CEG predicted the CSVT won. I ran a 10.28 (I guess thats an improvment since I did the IM rebuild ) compared to the Kona's 10.61. I thought his time was a little slow but he said that he didn't get off the line that well so I'll take his word for it.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/12/05 11:08 PM
Now that he thinks he's pretty close to you (4 tenths) take it to a 1/4 track, where the Duratec (SVT especially) REALLY PULLS comparatively.

Ray
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/12/05 11:12 PM
He knows better then to challenge at higher speeds but I want to keep it legal so we won't go there, and yes hopefully I can talk him into a 1/4 mile race sometime soon.
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/13/05 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
Now that he thinks he's pretty close to you (4 tenths) take it to a 1/4 track, where the Duratec (SVT especially) REALLY PULLS comparatively.

Ray

+1 ;-)
Posted By: captainandy15 Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/14/05 07:08 PM
Does the focus have any stickers on it? I've heard those are good for like 10 extra hp...
Posted By: SVTspazz Re: Focus Kona Vs. SVT - 10/14/05 08:18 PM
Originally posted by captainandy15:
Does the focus have any stickers on it? I've heard those are good for like 10 extra hp...

No, but he does have headers and when you combine that with no res. or cats and a fart cannon....its the worst sound in the world!!
© CEG Archives