Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: neversummer7 Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 02:29 AM
Today I dynoed my car and tryed to tune my safc. I am not sure what these #'s should be at but take a look and let me know your thoughts.
Red is after trying to tune it
blue is the baseline

any help would be appreciated particulary on why it is so peaky (i know i use all the technical language)
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 03:01 AM
Ignition issue. Plugs, wires or coil pack. It looks like you are dropping spark.

On top of that it looks like your knock sensor is screwing you. See at the top how it seems to just pick up a ton of power. That's your timing coming back.
Posted By: neversummer7 Re: Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 03:20 AM
how do i fix the timming issues? It doesn't show that i am knocking on my safc. With the ignition issues do you think that could just be fouled plugs?
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 04:19 AM
For all of the mods you have, that is very low. You should be around 180fwhp. As mentioned before, check your plugs, wires, and coil packs. Any CELs thrown? Hesitation maybe?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 07:05 PM
Those are some sad numbers! FWIW, with similar mods to you (no tune) I dyno'd 175whp. My graph looked similar to yours, just not as bad (it also seemed as though I had possible spark/knock issues). I have since cleaned the manifolds and gotten some magnecors. Havent been back on the dyno since to see if it fixed it.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 08:37 PM
Did you have the headers for that run chris?

-Alex
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Dyno #'s - 09/17/05 11:08 PM
Yup. I was hoping for better, but you can see how rich Im getting up top. X-Cal 2 is next on my list. Im going to make 3 more dynojet pulls to see if Ive corrected whatever problem I was having, and also to get a more recent look at whats going on to send off to ADC. Hopefully I can get up into the 180's.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Dyno #'s - 09/18/05 03:11 AM
12.0 isn't that rich on a duratec. I tried everywhere from 13.5 down to 11.5. From 12 to 13 there isn't that much of a difference. It could be leaned a touch but you won't go 'Holy shirt this is better' at 12.5.

Whatever the issue it's mechanical. My guess is the coil or a wire is arching. All of your grounds are good right?
Posted By: neversummer7 Re: Dyno #'s - 09/18/05 03:47 AM
No i havent checked the wireing. To be honest I dont really know what to look for and yes there is hesitation. Does anyone know of a good place to go in the kc/lawrence area that would be able to help me?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Dyno #'s - 09/18/05 04:30 AM
Let's start over....Have you ever changed the spark plugs or ignition wires? You don't need a mechanic to do this.
Posted By: neversummer7 Re: Dyno #'s - 09/18/05 07:34 AM
yes i have changed the plugs and wires. I have ford racing 9mm wires and stock plugs i think they are just what the ford dealer put in. they were both changed a little over a year ago. I have not changed the ground wires or upgraded them with a grounding kit or anything like that. It was throwing codes for the mass airflow sensor so i cleaned it with some electrical cleaner and it went off and it hasnt thown anymore. I think it was running really rich so do you think that the plugs could be fouled? I know some about our cars just not nearly as much as most of you. so thank you for helping
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Dyno #'s - 09/18/05 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Keyser:
12.0 isn't that rich on a duratec. I tried everywhere from 13.5 down to 11.5. From 12 to 13 there isn't that much of a difference. It could be leaned a touch but you won't go 'Holy shirt this is better' at 12.5.

Whatever the issue it's mechanical. My guess is the coil or a wire is arching. All of your grounds are good right?

Thats not really what I wanted to hear.

In any case, Im only asking this in this thread because it seems worth it for both neversummer and myself to possibly check. I have been noticing the charging system hasnt been quite what it used to, but the alternator has been tested and its fine. Can we get a list of grounding points to check? I only know of the few I can see easily, I would need to know where the rest are. This is something neversummer should possibly look at as well.

Or are you just talking about the ignition grounds?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Dyno #'s - 09/18/05 07:54 PM
There is a ground on the coil itself that needs to be on. There is are two that attach on the passenger side, one to the fire wall and the other to the fender. One of these is for the ECU that could have been left off on an AFC install. On the driver side there is one that goes from the fender to a bolt on the trans and there is another ground next to the fuse box. That's all I can remember. I sold my Contour last December so details like that are a little fuzzy.

© CEG Archives