Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Justacontour 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 06:57 AM
the ion is stock its a 2.0l supercharged..

ive ran him befor he ran like a 14.6

ive ran a 14.9

hes giving me a head start because hes boosted..

so hes starting with his front bumper at my back bumper for me to have a head start.. ahmm were doing this at a track.. lol

but anyways who thinks what will win

the redline is stock..

i have a lightweight flywheel, clutch, intake, exhoust, shifter, bored tb..

its getting videoed.. so maybe ill post it on here. what u think??
Posted By: DopePope Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:34 AM
uhm i dunno, but post the video after, i'll be interested in seeing it.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 12:21 PM
I think if he gives you a 'head start', then you've already lost and the question is point less. If you want to truely know who wins run them heads up....
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 01:03 PM
and equal the field by getting yourself a supercharger, THEN race that POS
Posted By: MxRacer Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 01:07 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I think if he gives you a 'head start', then you've already lost and the question is point less. If you want to truely know who wins run them heads up....

agreed. head starts are idiotic.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 02:02 PM
Screw the head start. Just drive your ass off.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:32 PM
You will lose 4 out of 5 times.

The Ion Redline is slower then the Cobalt SS but only by a few ticks. (low 14s vs high 14s consistently)

Even the best launched SVT with the major bolt ons is not going to run much quicker then high 14s and that's only if you nail everything.
Posted By: elraido Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:35 PM
This is depressing when cars like Saturns can now out run SVT's. What is this world coming to!? Demon, I am guessing you just might be able to beat them though, right?
Posted By: carzyjay Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:42 PM
what about a 3.0L vs the saturn and srt-4?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:46 PM
what about an LS 3.0L in the CSVT with a vortec s/c and some giggle gas to get it going off the line with an LSD, beefed up stage VI axles, slicks and skinny's out back, with a Quiafe gearset, aerodynomic taping up front, and John force driving?
Originally posted by carzyjay:

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:48 PM

A typical 3L swap will beat a redline/SS more then half the time.

It will lose to an SRT-4.

A good 3L SVT swap will beat a redline/SS and run even with an SRT-4 or modified redline/SS.

A modified SRT-4 will beat a good 3L SVT swap most of the time. From a roll it's a fair fight.

The couple times I've made it to the track I have yet to lose to an SRT-4. The quickest one I saw (an 04) had I/E, VBC, Stage 1+ and ran 13.99 @ 99 (our track sucks)
Posted By: carzyjay Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:48 PM
ha yea man. so who would win, smarty pants?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/20/05 07:59 PM
what about an LS 3.0L in the CSVT with a vortec s/c and some giggle gas to get it going off the line with an LSD, beefed up stage VI axles, slicks and skinny's out back, with a Quiafe gearset, aerodynomic taping up front, and John force driving?

Heck no! This is a Saturn we're talking about!

Mark
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 01:14 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

A good 3L SVT swap will beat a redline/SS and run even with an SRT-4 or modified redline/SS.

No way!!! A 3L will not hang with an SRT-4. They run 13.8 in the 1/4 all stock, and it will hit 60 before your out of 2nd gear. Maybe a modded 3L would have a slight chance
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 01:25 AM
I hung with a srt4 with the stage 1 with a hybrid set-up with my tour and he is a good driver. ".drove" side by side twice. he will vouch for that too. other friend that was in the car with me would say the same. A stock svt is another story. wooped a 92 v8 camero that night also.
Posted By: carzyjay Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 01:49 AM
yes i have heard of 13.8. i have seen one at fontana with a tire. But all i have seen from the others is 14.6 @ 94. thats all.14.3 maybe, sad.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 02:04 AM

This post takes back to when I first became a member of the CEG, but back then, it was how about the CSVT vs. the GTP/Regal GS. Back then, it went like this "well, the GTP has a blower and thats not fair!", give me a break, IT IS WHAT IT IS guys! Its a sign of the times, think about it. The CSVT came out in 2000, 5 long years ago and the market has been going up since then. The only thing we can hope for is that our future cousin, the Fusion, gets the MazdaSpeed 6 drivetrain like its supposed to and that will be the midsize car the CSVT could've been. I see myself in that car in about 2 1/2 years and even though it doesn't share any DNA with the Contour, its a family member none the less As far as losing to these cars, well, just take your medicine, sorry to say it like that, but I'm thinking some of you are in need of a klenex here
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 03:19 AM
Originally posted by SVT25:

No way!!! A 3L will not hang with an SRT-4. They run 13.8 in the 1/4 all stock, and it will hit 60 before your out of 2nd gear. Maybe a modded 3L would have a slight chance

Hmmm. "GOOD SVT 3L SWAP" That would entail some bolt-ons and tuning.

Also SRT-4's times range all over the map. I've never seen one run 13's out of the box personally. Most of the legitimate times I've seen posted or in person for them are 13.9-14.6 @ 97-99mph in stock form. It's very rare to see them in the 13's if it's not a very fast track. To compare cars they'd have to run at the same track.

I even told you what the modified SRT-4's run at our local track. Nothing too special. I have yet to see any modified ones break 100mph.
Posted By: Justacontour Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 03:31 AM

Hmmm. "GOOD SVT 3L SWAP" That would entail some bolt-ons and tuning.

Also SRT-4's times range all over the map. I've never seen one run 13's out of the box personally. Most of the legitimate times I've seen posted or in person for them are 13.9-14.6 @ 97-99mph in stock form. It's very rare to see them in the 13's if it's not a very fast track. To compare cars they'd have to run at the same track.

I even told you what the modified SRT-4's run at our local track. Nothing too special. I have yet to see any modified ones break 100mph.

he started at my back bumper and we finished with my front bumper at his back bumper.

we did a roll from 35-100. so i lost by a car lenth prolly but he pulled that on me around 90mph
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 04:54 AM

Friend's ran 13.4 with just boost controller, intake, and motor mounts on 215 wide neo gens. I don't recall his trap, but definitely over 100mph. Reckon those are just bad drivers in your neighborhood.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 07:22 AM
Originally posted by The EX- Striped SVT:

This post takes back to when I first became a member of the CEG, but back then, it was how about the CSVT vs. the GTP/Regal GS. Back then, it went like this "well, the GTP has a blower and thats not fair!", give me a break, IT IS WHAT IT IS guys! Its a sign of the times, think about it. The CSVT came out in 2000, 5 long years ago and the market has been going up since then. The only thing we can hope for is that our future cousin, the Fusion, gets the MazdaSpeed 6 drivetrain like its supposed to and that will be the midsize car the CSVT could've been. I see myself in that car in about 2 1/2 years and even though it doesn't share any DNA with the Contour, its a family member none the less As far as losing to these cars, well, just take your medicine, sorry to say it like that, but I'm thinking some of you are in need of a klenex here

Wait a minute it came out in '98! Anyway, Those SRT-4's really aren't pushovers at the track. *when* you see them out at the nearest track to my town, they are usually handing mustangs their rear-ends silver platters....

But not the Camaros and Firebirds. No Sir!

I think a good 3L, with the proper tuning and transmission+ tires should be able to keep up. I mean some cams, LSD, and a good driver should be able to perform decently against one...
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 11:30 AM

Go clear your mind. Every stock SRT-4 I've seen run at the track that is stock runs mit to low 14's. NEVER in 15 trips to the drag strip have I ever seen a stock SRT-4 run less than a 14.2 at the strip. That being said I had a friend with a 400 HP SRT-4 and that [censored] would roll! Nice car too. Most of the stock SRT4 I've seen run mid 14's with a normal driver.
I guess keep in mind that this is in souther states with higher track temps so it could be happening in northern states with cooler temps, however it wouldn't be 13.8's stock there either!

Hell the best I saw a stock EVO run was 14.0 and the best run on an evo period was 13.6 but the guy was running as much boost as possibler with an aftermarket boost controller.

So um NO. Most good 3L will run even with a stock SRT-4 and after that if both are well modded I'm leaning towards the SRT-4 unless the SVT is also turbo, then it's anyones game.
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 12:58 PM
You are forgetting a big factor which is the driver.
I used to race an ex girlfriend of mine in her 200 hp prelude. I had a probe GT with considerably less power. I would pull on her by car lenghts almost everytime. I've ran 'faster' cars like C5 vettes, M3s and cobras in the z and walked away from them..... and seen srt neons loose to much 'slower' cars...
Not to mention, the times you read in the car mags are achieved after launch after launch by experienced drivers who are used to driving everything from turbo neons to F40s. Most average drivers don't get these numbers, especially after you put 20k on the car.
Back to the ion, they are pretty quick, but again it all depends on the driver...I watched one beat a v8 camaro, however the ion was slightly modded.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 08:11 PM
Originally posted by dutchie:
I used to race an ex girlfriend of mine in her 200 hp prelude. I had a probe GT with considerably less power. I would pull on her by car lenghts almost everytime. I've ran 'faster' cars like C5 vettes, M3s and cobras in the z and walked away from them..... and seen srt neons loose to much 'slower' cars...

Walked away from C5's & M3's in an under 200HP Probe. BWAHAHAHA!!!!

That's the biggect pile of bullsh~t I've heard in a while. Even bigger then the other thread about running 9.1 to 9.5's and showing 2.5 60' times.

Wow. That's really a stupid post eh.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 08:23 PM

Walked away from C5's & M3's in an under 200HP Probe. BWAHAHAHA!!!!

That's the biggect pile of bullsh~t I've heard in a while. Even bigger then the other thread about running 9.1 to 9.5's and showing 2.5 60' times.

Wow. That's really a stupid post eh.

........demon...i think(hope) he was talking about his "z" car..
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 08:24 PM
Actually deamon, there were two different sentences. He said he ran his probe against his girlfriends prelude and won. Then he said he ran his Z against the M3 and the C5 vette.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 10:32 PM
That's closer to believable then. You both are right I missed the letter z in that sentence. oops...

A C5 would still beat his Z though if the race was more then an 1/8th mile; regardless of launch. From his numbers his Z is about as quick as my car out of the whole and I've raced a few C5's at the track. (including being just beat by one on my 13.4 run)
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/21/05 11:10 PM
Sorry about the posting of "they came out in 2000". I meant to say the last one came out in 2000 and alot has happened to this market segment in the past 5+ years, sorry about that
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 01:26 AM
So by bringing up the magazine and driver issues you are just accidentally confirming what I'm saying.

No SRT-4 runs 13.8 stock without a LOT of help. Maybe the track and a good driver with a tailwind.

Either way, I really find most neon SRT-4 drivers...distastefull. Which is why I love to chew them up and spit them out with a broken ego. Except for Steve over in Texas. It takes a hell of modified SRT-4 to walk me, but his SRT-4 can do it. Props to him and the $35K dollars he's put into the car (yes it's true )

So no. For what they are they are good cars but lets no add to the hype and blow more smoke up our own asses than they already do. They can be modded easier than contours and are far faster $ for $ except for rare cases.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 03:55 AM
So when you coming to SDR or Cecil warmonger? I wanna see you run my friend's srt4 (just for my enjoyment, I like both cars). As I said, he ran 13.4 with just boost controller, intake, and motor mounts. Now he has exhaust, waste gate, better bov (I don't know if the mopar bov handles the higher boost correctly), and stage one is in the mail. Should be a pretty close race.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
So when you coming to SDR or Cecil warmonger? I wanna see you run my friend's srt4 (just for my enjoyment, I like both cars). As I said, he ran 13.4 with just boost controller, intake, and motor mounts. Now he has exhaust, waste gate, better bov (I don't know if the mopar bov handles the higher boost correctly), and stage one is in the mail. Should be a pretty close race.

Shouldn't even be close to a turbo 3L. (350/350) Honestly.

As for the VBC, without programming adding more boost to the SRT-4 doesn't gain much of anything. Many dynos to prove that. The stock computer just retards timing when the boost is out of the stock range.

Cecil must be an insanely fast track because 13.4 is almost a second faster then he should run. If that's the truth I bet I'd run 12's at Cecil. Honestly I am not kidding in the least.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 10:46 AM
Cecil is the 'fastest' track on the east coast....

Cecil must be an insanely fast track because 13.4 is almost a second faster then he should run. If that's the truth I bet I'd run 12's at Cecil. Honestly I am not kidding in the least.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 11:09 AM
I've got no problems with it. However, I am mystified by a 13.4 with just a BC. Does he have different tires?
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 03:45 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
I've got no problems with it. However, I am mystified by a 13.4 with just a BC. Does he have different tires?

SRT-4's run 13.9-14.1 stock in the 1/4 mile. All the numbers i have seen show that.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 04:27 PM
theres no way an even modded 3L would run with a srt my friend has one with minimal mods and ran a 13.0 with a crappy launch, and on top of the stock tires.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 04:33 PM
Originally posted by SvtEdwardo420:
theres no way an even modded 3L would run with a srt my friend has one with minimal mods and ran a 13.0 with a crappy launch, and on top of the stock tires.

You my friend must not visit this site often. You do realize that there is a member of these boards that has run a 13.4 in his N/A 3L, right? Show me ONE(1) SRT-4 that has run a 13.4 STOCK. And what are the "minimal mods" on your friend's 13.0 SRT-4? Your false claims are going to be chewed up and spit out on these boards unless you have more detail than that.

Mark
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 04:55 PM

SRT-4 is extremly quick car yes, but 13.0 with minimal mods and crappy launch ? ? LOL
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 05:42 PM

SRT-4's run 13.9-14.1 stock in the 1/4 mile. All the numbers i have seen show that.

If you want to "bench race"

...per... Motor Trend (even using their killer correction factors}
2004 SRT-4 ~ 6.2 ~ 14.4 @ 100
2003/4 SRT-4 ~ 5.7 ~ 14.0 @ 100.5 (preproduction 04 model before it gained weight)
Preproduction SRT-4 ~ 5.5 ~ 13.9 @ 101 {this car had Stage 1+ and was tuned though}

However these numbers are by PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS and corrected to the optimum conditions & sea level.

There are several folks here I trust that state "REAL WORLD" times right in line with what I've seen. I admit our track here is a bit slower then most but it's where I have run against other cars.
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 05:43 PM
he has a 3" down pipe with dump, wires and plugs, motor mounts new bov and a bigger IC and a dollar boost controller. thats it , im not making flase claims, so back off. he has stage 2 now with a afac, and just got it tuned but hasnt put down a time so ill let you know when he does.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 06:25 PM
what are is the stock boost setting on a stock SRT-4 turbo? What is max boost with the same turbo? If you can crank the stock turbo up by say, 8psi, you're making a LOT more power than stock, which should cut some significant time off of your 1/4 mile. But I really don't know much about the SRT-4 factory boost levels and what they are capable of.

Mark
Posted By: 99cougar Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 06:37 PM
i think they are around 14ish psi from the factory.
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 06:43 PM
I wouldnt think you could raise the psi up much more without damage to the engine.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/22/05 07:11 PM
i don't know i don't have one, but i do know they are a pretty tough lil motor. they have facotry upgrades for it that up the boost/bigger turbo. i am not sure if they replace the internals with the upgrades Dodge sells for it, but i doubt it.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/23/05 01:21 AM
I wouldnt think you could raise the psi up much more without damage to the engine.

That motor has got to be able to handle atleast 22 psi as I ran that in my 87 GN and it had 120K on the original everything. I had 50 passes in 5 years at the dragstrip w/o a problem
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/23/05 04:14 AM

As I said, the 13.4 was just BC, motor mounts, intake, and 215 wide nitto neo gens.
I don't see how that is a second faster than he is supposed to run. A stock srt4 runs 14.2 easily with a decent driver and his has more boost. Though Cecil is a very good track, his 60' times,etc. are comparable to what he has ran at our 1/8 mile strip.

Demon, you have to remember that weight is a bit different, tranny is different, suspension is different, and of course driver. So that all can account for a bit lower HP car beater a higher HP car.

Any maybe his car is slightly a factory freak. It does seem to be a tad bit faster than other srt4s with same mods.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/23/05 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
what are is the stock boost setting on a stock SRT-4 turbo? What is max boost with the same turbo? If you can crank the stock turbo up by say, 8psi, you're making a LOT more power than stock, which should cut some significant time off of your 1/4 mile. But I really don't know much about the SRT-4 factory boost levels and what they are capable of.

Mark

Stock boost is about 14psi, sometimes spiking 15 and falls to ~12.
Stock turbo can be turned up 8psi more but loses a bit of efficiency going that high and the stock wastegate,etc. won't hold that boost. The stock fuel system will also have a problem with that much boost. IIRC, my friend is spiking either 17 or 19psi and is having fuel cutout at higher rpms. He is putting in stage one computer next week to hopefully help with that.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/23/05 06:06 AM

I saw one at the track out in Rock Falls running like 12's... it was definitely not stock but it was moving it was doing over 110 or 120 i might even have a video of it, LOL he let his gf drive it and she managed a 13.5
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/23/05 03:58 PM
he has a 3" down pipe with dump, wires and plugs, motor mounts new bov and a bigger IC and a dollar boost controller. thats it , im not making flase claims, so back off. he has stage 2 now with a afac, and just got it tuned but hasnt put down a time so ill let you know when he does.

So those are minimal mods to you? How much does a new FMIC set someone back....$500? Exhaust work for a 3" dump, BOV?
This guys got at least an extra grand into the motor.

I'm so tired of second hand stories. Hell, of course he's gonna tell you his car does that with minimal mods...it makes his car look better and everyone think he's a better guy for choosing the "best" car. He probably has a 50 shot under the hood you don't know about if those times are actually real.

Therefore I stand by what my eyes have seen in AZ and Texas and at the two tracks I went to, and that is NO SRT-4 stock has made it into the 13's. NONE. PERIOD, while I was there. That would be at least 5 different cars and drivers with multiple runs each. When I watch mid 90's corvettes only pulling 13.6's stock with 300+ HP and rear drive in the same night, what makes you think a fuggin tin can like the srt-4 is going to top that without a lot of help? BONE STOCK '05 cobra supercharged models would roll in off the show room floor and turn around 13.5's and around 105-108 MPH trapps. REAR WHEEL DRIVE.
So tell me again how a lightly modded SRT-4 can do better than this?

The only STOCK cars I saw pulling 13.0 or less were corvettes, late models. They were running mid 12's at 115mph bone stock.

Hell, my volvo is turbo and it has 218HP, almost what an SRT-4 has stock. My car is capable of high 14's stock. Real world results are showing 14.9-15.1 are the times people are getting with it.
So if the shoe fits, wear it. People should educate themselves and stop being BS'd or BS'ing other people.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/23/05 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlineracer12:

I saw one at the track out in Rock Falls running like 12's... it was definitely not stock but it was moving it was doing over 110 or 120 i might even have a video of it, LOL he let his gf drive it and she managed a 13.5

See, now that sounds reasonable with a lot of time and money into mods.
But come and tell me he's doing that stock and..............
Posted By: stilov Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 12:03 AM
just to poke fun a bit...03 and 04 were the only supercharged cobras...but my old boss had one...he had a catback K&N and short shifter and ran 13.4 stock tires. That is at 4400 elevation and 100 degrees.

The same day I ran my WS6 410 to the wheels at 13.2 @108.5
Although I don't claim to be the best driver...I had only run it that day...so I imagine with practice and little cooler weather I could have been high 12's.
Posted By: Justacontour Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 12:32 AM
the srt4 only runs 8-9 psi. the stock motor can only push 18psi...

my friend set his to 20 and blew it.
Posted By: SAV Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 01:19 AM
I guess there's some kind of trend here?

Everybody's "friend" owns SRT4s. Oh LOOK! There's a Ferrari in my driveway too!!

-SAV
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Justacontour:
the srt4 only runs 8-9 psi. the stock motor can only push 18psi...

my friend set his to 20 and blew it.

You are wrong, your are wrong, and your friend is a moron then.

Stock boost level is 14psi. It does see spikes to 15-16psi. Boost is limited in 1st gear to 9psi. So if you would have said "in 1st gear" you would have been right.

The engine can handle more the 18psi even with a stock turbo. However the stock turbos stalls at ~19psi so it's not worth running higher boost with the stock turbo because you are getting nothing more then hot air and a very low rpm torque hump. (i.e. great for bench racing dyno numbers but worthless for any real world performance)
Also you DO NOT rate engine parts by psi level. That's silly because that's forgetting about numerous other variables like CFM FLOW & COMPRESSOR SIZE for instance.

The reason your friend "blew it" is because he didn't do any research and realize the stock programming is not able to handle signifianctly higher boost and leans out the engine. (as well as retards timing btw) He basically destroyed his engine because he wasn't being smart and didn't do some home work first. Probably was cheap and ran 87 octane as well.

Heck I don't even own one or "have a friend that owns an SRT-4" and know all this. More even.

Great little pocket rocket. Tough as nails powertrain. (stock setup can do ~280/320 @ 19psi with proper A/F & bolt ons ) Good handling. Nothing at all wrong with that even if it's a Neon.
Posted By: stilov Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 02:47 AM
talk to pinebox in the southwest forum...he has one...then we can get rid of all this "my friend" crap. I believe he is running near 20psi.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 05:17 AM
Warmonger, I have never seen a srt4 break into the 13s stock either. I do believe it to be possible. I have also heard 12.9 stock on slicks. Friend ran 14.1 or 14.2 (can't remember) stock with his, so surely somebody that drives better than a 19 yr old can get it into the 13s.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 06:20 AM
I have also heard 12.9 stock on slicks.

General rule of thumb: Every tenth you take off of your 60' time equates to 2 tenths off your 1/4 mile time. So by that theory, you'd be cutting ~1.4 60' times with slicks!

so surely somebody that drives better than a 19 yr

Coming from a 19 year old.

Mark
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I have also heard 12.9 stock on slicks.

General rule of thumb: Every tenth you take off of your 60' time equates to 2 tenths off your 1/4 mile time. So by that theory, you'd be cutting ~1.4 60' times with slicks!

so surely somebody that drives better than a 19 yr

Coming from a 19 year old.

Mark

I said I HEARD, not my theory.

And ummm yeah. That's my point. I didn't say I was a better driver. In fact, I'd probably pull a 15 sec run if I drove.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/24/05 02:01 PM
Originally posted by stilov:
just to poke fun a bit...03 and 04 were the only supercharged cobras...but my old boss had one...he had a catback K&N and short shifter and ran 13.4 stock tires. That is at 4400 elevation and 100 degrees.

The same day I ran my WS6 410 to the wheels at 13.2 @108.5
Although I don't claim to be the best driver...I had only run it that day...so I imagine with practice and little cooler weather I could have been high 12's.

Oh, you're right there are no cobras this past year.

I'm still loosing a year after being gone in Iraq from '04-'05.

Everything that was new when I left is old now, but I keep on thinking it was just released, i.e. last fall would make it an 05 when it was most likely an 04. Either way, it was the one with a nice whoosh sound, actually very tame sounding intake.
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 12:30 AM
That's closer to believable then. You both are right I missed the letter z in that sentence. oops...

A C5 would still beat his Z though if the race was more then an 1/8th mile; regardless of launch. From his numbers his Z is about as quick as my car out of the whole and I've raced a few C5's at the track. (including being just beat by one on my 13.4 run)

Thanks guys, I was talking about the z. Pay attention to the tense of the sentence demon. You are right, me beating a C5 in the probe is about as believable as you beating one in your contour. Does everyone believe the crap you shovel, because you have been shovelling enough to build a crap hut to park your C5 eater in.
Closer to believable? You consistantly trash everyone elses statements, jumping on them as quick as you talk. I don't know why, sounds like you have a complex. Maybe you raced a honda minivan last week and lost. Closer to believable....? A C5 would still beat my z? Give me a break man. I just stated in my post that I've ran a few and beat them. I've beaten a friend's 4 or 5 times, and I had a horizontally challenged passenger. Streetlight stop, freeway drag...doesn't matter.
The z is about as quick as your car? Gee thanks. If it isn't you must be running at turbo or at least a 100 shot of nitrous. My 0-60 times of 4.6-5.5 are based on a g-tech reading with rather worn and soft yokohamas, no drag racing radials, usually lots of wheelspin, sometimes right into 3rd gear, and a 3 year old clutch that likes to slip once and awhile. (the old zs are very light in the rear). The faster times coming with the least wheelspin. I can hardly get out of first without putting the car sideways under full throttle. And seeing as how you race once and awhile you would know the difference between 4.6 s and 5.5 s (your time) can be a few car lenghts.
Guy, you need to read up a little on 3.1 L stroker z motors....
The 2.4L race prepped datsun motors were putting out 250hp, and that is with strict race engine specs and two carbs. A 3.l L with tripple 50 webbers (biggest you can get) like mine, race cam, electronic timing and strait exhaust is pushing at least 300hp....some are close to 400 with no turbos. And that is conservative. When I had mine dynoed it was with the dual SU carbs a milder autocross cam. 285 hp at the wheels in a 2700 lb car. It is at least 20-30 hp over that now based on the changes to the motor since then, at least.
funny thing, arguing with you or anyone was the last thing on my mind when the post started...its snapper heads like you that really turn people off these boards.
Ok, now is where you disect my post to bits because you have nothing better to do...
Posted By: SVT25_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 12:45 AM
BURN ! ! ! !
Posted By: SAV Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 01:43 AM
funny thing, arguing with you or anyone was the last thing on my mind when the post started...its snapper heads like you that really turn people off these boards.

Really?

Originally posted by some Z car guy:
If it is you must be running at turbo or at least a 100 shot of nitrous.

It seems you know about as much about Greg's all motor 3.OL as he does about your Z, considering it blatantly says in his signature that his car doesn't sport any nitrous or turbochargers. How's that simmer in your A1 sauce?

-SAV
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 01:45 AM
my roomate at school owns an srt-4 as well-- aside from being a neon (i personally don't like the body style, etc.) they are hella fast and i give more respect then my svt would ever get
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 03:00 AM
I read the stats on his car, thanks. He put a lot of work into it. His time would have been better spent though working a second job at the in-and-out burger to save for a C5, than build something that might explode into a million pieces trying to beat one. I'm aware he isn't running nitrous...by the sounds of it though, it could be A1 sauce....or a shot of steamy methane...better check the stickers under the hood.
I can say that that it would be fairly unbelievable, based on prerecorded stats by car testing eggheads on all sorts of vehicles of all sizes, weights and motor sizes, that a 3 L in his car, would flat out run a 3.1 L stroker motor in a z, with a 4:11 posi rear, that weighs about as much as a 1991 civic, give or take the duct tape....regardless of what 1/4 mile or 0-60 times are recorded in his sticker album.

I agree, the neons are quick...I give it to chrysler to bring back the sleeper, reminds me of the days of the omni GLH. it's still not a car for me, I am a big fan of styling, to me the neon looks like a skittle with some IKEA furniture stapped to the trunk.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 03:49 AM
So you're saying a RWD car that weighs as little as a civic with near 300whp can't run better than a 13.something? Sounds like the driver is the problem.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 05:09 AM
Funny thing about this is I never claimed to beat a C5 vette and you did.

For the bench racers...

C5 vette

4.4-4.5
12.5-12.6 @ 113mph

I don't think so Tim... Not now, not on the internet, and not in real life. Well I suppose if the driver sucks and ran mid 13's or slower but then that's like saying you beat a Top Fuel car; that broke at the line.

All this beaten by a never going to get traction from a stop Datsun. A light weight Datsun is about as traction limited as our FWD platform is. (btw I've driven several and built a 79 Fairlady {82 turbo engine & 5-speed} and before you cry BS I'll save you the embarassment because I lived in Japan for ~3 years ) I also rebuilt a 75 260Z for a friend. (nice car I like Datsuns/Nissans)

As for your car. It's too bad I can't run at one of those metric Canadian tracks. Shocking times always seem to come from there and the great cold dense air. (That's an old joke btw - don't cry eh)

So I guess this all boils down to you trying to divert attention and flame me for something you claimed and I never did. Just how does that work anyway???

Can I see you beat a 12.5 @ 113 C5 please... The only time I ran against one I treed his ass, he spun through the first couple gears, and I still lost by a few tenths... Heck there's a good story about it in a post from last fall. They kill both of our cars in the power to weight department.
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 01:51 PM
First off, I don't dispute your 0-60 or 1/4 mile claims. I do think you are not being realistic to state that you could run a car with considerably less weight and more power, with similar traction. And I meant the z not a C5. You mentioned that my z was most likely as fast as your car, which is an understatement.
I didn't mean to put down the work you put in your car with the in-and-out burger comment, I was just hacking on you there.

That being said,I didn't race a C5 at the track. And I never said I raced a Z06. Your stats are for a 2001 Z06. The Z06 runs 4.6 to 60, and are faster than the 2001 C5 I raced. But for arguement sake, a 385 hp Z06 has a similar power/weight ratio as my z. Between 8-8.5 hp. So you are partly right, they kill your car in power to weight, but not mine. A Z06 will keep up with a C6. So I guess I can claim I can run a C6. My track run was a 13.1 against a 500 hp early 90's TT Z, with lots of mods as you can imagine, that made a noise like a jet when it took off. Don't ask me what my trap time was or reaction or whatever because it was for fun at a track meet and I only had one go at it...and I didn't really care either. Like I said, i don't record my times in my diary or sticker album. I never had the car on the 1/4 before that, as the car was really built for autocross. Pretty good for someone with no real previous 'track time'. I also said it is difficult to get traction in the z, not impossible. Hence the variations in g-tech times.

The 13.1 I ran was in the z with the old 3.1 configuration. With the new rear, cam and webbers, I am easily in the 12's. I can say this because I have beaten a c5 vette with 40,000 km on the odo, and we all know what they run now....and we all know that if you add 40+ hp and better gearing to your car, you will run better, so I can claim that my car could be in the 12s without having been at the track. Lets face it, the majority of races are not happening at the track, at least not in my car.
My 4.6-5.5 0-60 times were also based on me having a g-tech for 1/2 hour and trying to get a good run. there were more readings in the 4s than the 5's. Keep in mind I hit 60 mph early on in 2nd gear, the car will top out at 150 mph + That being said, it isn't too unbelievable to say that I have beaten a C5.

I lived in korea for two summers, doesn't mean I can make great spring rolls or enjoyed a good dong jip. The 75 fairlady was nice, and rare in NA, but they are quite a bit heavier than the 240 models, and have all kinds of smog goodies that made them the slowest eary z's. My car has no smog, to say the least. The 3.1 stroker is a monster motor. It has a similar power output as a smallblock v-8, but sounds a lot better.It would be like you dropping a late model cobra motor in your car. The difference in acceleration, handling etc over a stock z is insane. It drives, sounds and handles more like a porsche 911 turbo. The gas milage isn't the best, but when you have 3 big carbs sucking fuel that is understandable. I don;t have an video of me racing the vette but I do have some in car video of me racing my brother's old 71 split bumper camaro with a punched out 350, I lost but not by as much as you would think as his camaro was running around 600hp. I didn't take the vid so I would have to track it down.

Your canadian jokes don't bother me, they just show ignorance that some of you have down there have. I stress some of you. I love the states, considered living there, and never feel the need to put down america or americans despite all the canuk jokes on this forum. Read up on the space shuttle program, it would not have gotten off the ground had it not been for dozens of 'defecting' canadian scientists from the axed arrow program. And do a search on the prestigious cam-am tank competition. the Canadians beat the americans 3 out of the last 4 times using vastly inferior equipment....the 3 auto plants with the highest quality ratings in north america are in Ontario, Canada....blah blah. We are not as useless as you think. a 1/4 mile is a quarter mile. For someone who has lived in Japan, you seem pretty naieve towards other countries, particularly your neighbours from the north.

Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 01:54 PM
So you're saying a RWD car that weighs as little as a civic with near 300whp can't run better than a 13.something? Sounds like the driver is the problem.

well, you know I'm canadian, we can't drive up here and the tracks are all downhill, and it's hard to shift with a pepsi in your hand.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 02:16 PM

well, you know I'm canadian, we can't drive up here and the tracks are all downhill, and it's hard to shift with a pepsi in your hand.

I'm glad someone in here has a sense of humor!

Mark
Posted By: MxRacer Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 02:42 PM

lmao!!

canada is like the U.S.'s attic. we otfen forget it's up there, but when we do remember it, there's some pretty cool stuff up there.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 08:08 PM
The Canadian joke wasn't for you. (or against you) Hence why I said not to cry about it. (oh well)

I have nothing against Canada. They invented the best sport on earth and brew some great beer so they can't be all bad. I was born and raised in Minnesota and that's about as Canadian as it gets in the states.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 08:34 PM
They invented midget tossing?
They invented the best sport on earth

Posted By: MxRacer Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/25/05 11:25 PM
They invented midget tossing?
They invented the best sport on earth

no... midget curling. duh!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 98 svt v.s a ion redline.. - 07/26/05 02:02 AM