Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ZetecTour ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 07:16 PM
i was wondering if the atx guys "shift" their cars, or do you just leave it in drive and go?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 08:01 PM
In D, with the OD off & go. Manually shifting is not only slower, but also tricky & potentially damaging under such extreme conditions.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 08:02 PM
why should i have the O/D off?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ZetecChris:

I heard it makes it shift faster/at higher revs. It wasn't backed up, but no one disputed it... try a search and see if you can find it.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:

I heard it makes it shift faster/at higher revs. It wasn't backed up, but no one disputed it... try a search and see if you can find it.

Actually, the manual for my '99 indicated the OD off puts the tranny in a "Sport" mode. This supposedly firms the shifts & raises the shift points.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 09:51 PM
15.02 with o/d off, 15.8 with it on, the one and only time i ran the 3L atx at the track, and the car had alot of issues to say the least (before issues woulda ate an SVT for breakfast )
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 10:32 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
In D, with the OD off & go. Manually shifting is not only slower, but also tricky & potentially damaging under such extreme conditions.

My car was almost half a second quicker manually shifting then leaving it in D with the o/d off.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 10:44 PM
but weren't you having atx problems, recently, too???

Ray
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/05/05 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Ray:

Ray

No.

The Contour ATX will ALWAYS shift 250 rpms before "redline." That puts my car shifting at 6250 rpms. The Duratec will shift at 6500 rpms. My car car shifting at 6250 rpms didn't even utilize my max power. So I shift it at 7250 rpms.....I gained .5 sec (back to back runs).
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/06/05 03:00 AM
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:

Ray

No.

The Contour ATX will ALWAYS shift 250 rpms before "redline." That puts my car shifting at 6250 rpms. The Duratec will shift at 6500 rpms. My car car shifting at 6250 rpms didn't even utilize my max power. So I shift it at 7250 rpms.....I gained .5 sec (back to back runs).

Hector, assuming you're talking about your SC equipped Zetec, your car is a special case & you know it! Chances are very high that this guy does not have a supercharger under the hood like you do! My knowledge of the Zetec is limited so I ask you: Does the typical N/A Zetec have a top heavy power band?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/06/05 10:15 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:

Ray

No.

Hector, assuming you're talking about your SC equipped Zetec, your car is a special case & you know it! Chances are very high that this guy does not have a supercharger under the hood like you do! My knowledge of the Zetec is limited so I ask you: Does the typical N/A Zetec have a top heavy power band?

No the N/A Zetec really doesn't make any power above 5500 rpms. You really don't start making power in the upper rpms until you replace the exhaust mani with a header.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/06/05 10:22 PM
On my Zetec ATX, it doesn't really make a lot of power until about 3250 RPM, and then power drops off after 5500, like Loco said. Also, I did not know that turning O/D off put it into sport mode. Is it just a 98+ thing or was it on the earlier cars like mine?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/06/05 10:31 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
On my Zetec ATX, it doesn't really make any power until about 3250 RPM.

Correction...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/06/05 10:33 PM
On my Zetec ATX, it doesn't really make a lot of power until about 3250 RPM, and then power drops off after 5500, like Loco said. Also, I did not know that turning O/D off put it into sport mode. Is it just a 98+ thing or was it on the earlier cars like mine?

It is every Zetec.
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/07/05 03:24 AM

We discussed this last year I think it was and we determined that it does make a difference.

This year I got to try it on the track and it did make an improvement. I pulled a 16.4@85mph in my ATX Duratec. Best run last year was a 16.8@84mph. Both with almost identical 60ft. times. The run that I pulled a 16.4 I also had an optimized TB, but that was my only mod...
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/07/05 06:43 AM

Correction...

Touche Loco...Touche...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/07/05 09:22 PM

Correction...

Touche Loco...Touche...

I didn't even say anything.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: ATX in 1/4 mile - 07/07/05 11:44 PM
My bad...I was really sleepy at the time.

© CEG Archives