Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/15/04 08:10 PM
Well I went to the track yesterday. I had been waiting for this for a long while.

I have no complaints or excuses about the conditions. I could not have asked for a better day.
Temp was 50
Humidity was 60%
Baro was 30.5"

I got there early and had a long cool down time before being one of the first cars teched. I was the 4th one down the track because I wanted to make some passes with a cool engine. Good thing too.

First Run.

I figured why not let it all hang out. Cool engine, perfect day, no wait in the staging lanes.

Did a 10-15 second burnout on the DRs to put some heat in them. Got up to the line and shallow staged. Raised the engine to a good 5000 rpm and left on the second yellow (normally would give me a 3 or 400 light)
Did a quick clutch slip and rolled into the pedal. The car jumped forward and then did about 3 hard hops as I gave it full throttle. It was at 7500rpm before I knew it and I hit 2nd perfectly! 2nd hit hard with zero spin and I made yet another perfect shift to 3rd and then 4th.

I felt it was a stellar run. I nailed every shift perfectly and the launch felt very hard even with the harsh hop.

R/T: .124
60' : 2.057
330 : 5.786
1/8 : 8.789 @ 82.23
1000': 11.371
1/4: 13.476 @ 101.96

No sh~t I was within 2 car lengths of a C5 Corvette! (He ran a 13.2 but I treed him and it took him nearly all the track to catch me! )

Need to say I was blown away! I went back at got right back in line!!! As in driving right up to the front of the staging lanes and barely having time to close the hood.

I figured this time to lower the rpms of the launch so not to go directly to wheel hop.

Second Run.

Did a quick burnout and staged.
Launched from about 3500-3800rpm. Too low. The engine started to bog and I quickly gave it more throttle. That brought on Wheel hop about 5500rpm and therefore a slow shift to 2nd.

60' 2.18
1/8: 9.01 @ 80.8
1/4: 13.70 @ 101.2

About what I expected after the sub par run.

So I figured I had the launch window nailed down now.

Third Run

I went back and got in line. They had a little delay on the track so I had the perfect time to ice down my intake and let the engine idle with both fans running. (then off for 5 minutes)
I switched the TwEECer over to program 3 (+3-4 degrees timing) and was all set.
I got up and did a hellacious burnout. A good 25 seconds. The tires lurched the car forward as they were slowing down and quickly caught.

I got up to the line and held the rpms at 4500 and left on the second bulb.
I did a quick and smooth clutch slip and the car JUMPED forward. No spin, no hop, no bog. Hardest I've even had any car launch! It definitely would-have-been a sub 2.0 60' time. I rolled into full throttle and then NOTHING! Quickly shifting to 2nd and NOTHING! I rowed the gears as I pulled it to the side of the track. I stopped and tried reverse and NOTHING.

I was immediately thinking the worst. Diff, input shaft, maybe axle???
We pushed it back and the other guys came over and we jacked it up. The driver's side shaft could be freely pulled out of the tranny.
Not enough room to actually completely pull it out of course. That made me feel a little better.
Also one of the guys asked my how long I had a flat rear tire.
I had checked all the tires before my first run so I must have picked up a screw coming back down the POS return road on the first run. That I wasn't worried about at the time.

So I got the car home last night and was bummed out about tearing into it. I put all the stuff I had tore out of it (yes I removed the kitchen sink ) back in it and fixed the rear tire.
I swapped the DRs out and the driver's side just needs to be separated and have the axle pulled. I will do that tonight.
On a good note. I drained all the fluid and it came out crystal clear (no flakes or sparkles) I also pressurized the diff with a blow gun and nothing but clean oil came out so that made me feel a little better as well.

So the moral of the story is BUY SOLID AXLES if you want to launch this car.

I won't lie. I let it all hang out yesterday. I left everything on the table. I removed everything easily unbolted but the passenger seat. (ran out of time )
My first run I nailed every single shift like an air shifter.

To go quicker I would have to get sub 2.0's and even the HD axles (Stage 1 equivalent) I have won't handle that.
I am done shooting for sub 2.0's. I am more then happy with my best run. I don't feel I left anything in the tank outside of maybe a tenth from a completely perfect launch and praying nothing breaks because of it.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/15/04 08:17 PM
No timeslip? I don't believe you!

Ridiculously awesome times, Greg.

Too bad about the problems - good thing it wasn't anything more serious!
You rocked out with your C*ck out!

Thats awesome! Congrats on the busted axles, I'd be proud if I was....

Now before I call BS where's the damn time slip, you people are gonna be asking!

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/15/04 08:20 PM
Can't break that 101mph barrier can you? That's damn impressive though. Anthony had called me to let me know and I could hardly believe it. It's too bad about the axle though. Congrats on the new times! Now update that sig.

Mark

EDIT: Now you update your sig! And yes, let's see that timeslip! Cough Cough Damn KCIR electronics Cough Cough.
out of curiousity, how does the previous 1/8th mph and et compare to this run?
Congrats Greg! I bet the look on that C5's face was priceless!
Posted By: SAV Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/15/04 09:27 PM
This man has proven to be full-fledged insane.

Thirteens out of a NA Contour!

Congratulations.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/15/04 10:29 PM
Congratulations Demon, good job!
DEMON!!!

Awesome times.

But no stage 2's?????

Come on you know those stock axles can only take so much, but holy [censored], 13.4, that's awesome man!!!

So, are you going to get some stage 2's or better??

I'm still waiting on my passenger one, my driver's side axle is fine. . .but I think I've induced a clicking noise on the passenger, confirmed your moral of the story: the stock axles can only take so much. . .
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Can't break that 101mph barrier can you? That's damn impressive though.
Anthony had called me to let me know and I could hardly believe it. It's too bad about the axle though.

I may have if I could have ran again with a full cool down and lots of ICE. Who knows???

Also that flat rear may have slowed the trap down in the second run??? Just speculation

Yes there were a lot of people there watching. I was stoked.
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
out of curiousity, how does the previous 1/8th mph and et compare to this run?

Previous 1/8 mile was high 9.1 to low 9.2 range at 80.5-81mph.

That's why I think the tire slowed me down because on run 2 because I hit 9.01 but only 80.8

Even with a tick or two slower 60' then last spring I was 2 tenths faster in the 1/8 mile at that point!

I figure I have gained some power since spring with the custom intake pipe and better midrange tuning. My midrange is mean for a little 3L.
It was the axle.

Sheared right in two between the splines and the shoulder.

I will post pics as it's impressive to cleanly shear a piece of billet steel.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 12:20 AM
Wow, very nice times! Good thing it was just the axel and not something internal.
Posted By: JB1 Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 12:28 AM
the guy in the vette must have sh!t a brick nearly gettin beat down the quarter by a n/a daily driven family car with an engine barely half the size of his. i wish i could have seen that. good show
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

Ridiculously awesome times, Greg.

Awesome Job bro...
You sure this wasn't at one of those notorious Canadian tracks?

WTG man, That is something to get on video. I'm sure there are many of us that would love to see a NA 13 second Contour scaring a corvette.
Awesome times Greg...sorry to hear of the misfortune though....I'm sure you'll still "attempt" to better those times!

I think you need to hit the dyno and see what that magic motor of yours is putting to the ground.

Good luck, and keep em' running strong you guys!
Here is those pictures of the axle.

Things are slow around here because I've been building a computer and reworking 2 others so everything is torn apart.

Plus we are getting ready for company next week.

The timing of this failure couldn't be any worse.

Oh well it should be fixed by Thursday. (waiting on axle)

Posted By: JaTo_dup1 Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 01:30 PM
Frame that axle on the wall of the garage!

Un-freakin-believeable for a N/A powered 'Tour (well, outside of one that hasn't been totally race-prepped and gutted).
wow, great times. shame the axle broke!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 05:33 PM

That goes to show that an upgraded diff moves the wink link of the MTX75 out to the axels, no?

With stage 2 axels, where would the weak link move to? Gear teeth?
Wow that is a clean break, sure it wasn't a defect?

Nice times btw!
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 07:02 PM
weak

j/k
I was at the track and can vouch for all of Greg's times. The scary thing is our track isn't great and isn't known as a "quick" track. The conditions were great and brought the density altitude near sea level. If humidity would have dropped and the sun came out, it would have been flat out ideal.

Greg's CSVT really moves and it's quite impressive. I could only wish to be as quick. I would have to do a 3.5 liter block swap to match his 3.0 liter times.
I believe Greg, because he's a blunt straight forward guy, BUT, with that said, I am just baffled at the .5 reduction in ET, but no improvement in MPH. I know Greg will prove my nay saying....
He had a flat rear tire the second run.

-Andy
...and his second run was a 13.7 :-) His first run was a 13.4

Originally posted by Andy W.:
He had a flat rear tire the second run.

-Andy

Posted By: Stazi Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 10:24 PM
The only way an upgraded shaft is going to do any better is if the material is tougher or there is a better heat reat in the spline transition.

The fracture point is as the base of the splines on the diff gear input shaft - something you can't make bigger on the car as the diff gear cannot be made any larger to accept a larger spline. (Yes I was an axle shaft engineer for 5 years )

So in conclusion, I hope that the Stage 2's or whatever have a better material and steel microstructure, as well as a higher hardness in the spline region - although going too hard or too deep on the case hardening will make it brittle and prone to fracture all over again.

Heat treating splins is always a bi-atch.

PS - awesome times Greg - my heart would've been coming out of my cheast in excitement if I had out-launched a Vette at the track!
The perfect Contour storm...."bad boy motor", great driving, optimal weather...

NICE!
Posted By: JB1 Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/16/04 11:15 PM
stazi......forgive my possibly ignorant question here.......what about cryo treating the axles to improve strength? would something like that done to a heavier duty axle help?
Greg, any way of getting much-much bigger picture from you? I want to show it to someone, see what the expert's opinion is. Someone I know had done a great deal of research on the subject. In a nutshell the treatment produced a softer core and harder shell. That way the axle was always under internal stress and if it ever broke it would literally explode. On the upside it was handling the load which would otherwise require a substantially bigger axle. This was not for a car, but something bigger
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 05:40 AM
I believe Greg, because he's a blunt straight forward guy, BUT, with that said, I am just baffled at the .5 reduction in ET, but no improvement in MPH. I know Greg will prove my nay saying....

Best run to best run I actually improved nearly 1 mph from last spring.

Also the bulk of my time was made by half track. From half track on I was only a tenth or so quicker.

I was 75lbs lighter and I also hooked up in first and second.

It just goes to show you that my trap speed was maxed based on HP to weight because of all the traction issues in 1st and 2nd.
I didn't spin once in second this time out. A good indication of that is the 2nd run's 2.18 60' time but 9.0 1/8 @ 80.8 vs last spring's 2.17 60' time but only 9.17 1/8 and slightly faster 81.4x mph. Though the second run's mph could be slightly lower from the rear tire??? With the same 60' time it shows the car was much "quicker" from 60' to 660' even with the poor launch and messy 1-2 shift.
The extra spark tuning I did over the summer obviously added some mid range torque.

I made more ground right at the start which directly equals quicker ET and less time spinning the tires which can inflate trap speeds.

Last spring my quickest run (13.94) only trapped 101.1 but my fastest trap came on a run a couple tenths slower. The majority of my runs I trapped in the 100.5 - 101 range.
My previous 1/8 mile numbers were 80.5 to even a 81.8 mph. The higher the mph the slower the launch and 330' times were too. Less ground covered early so more time to accelerate to speed.

To plot the new & old best runs against each other.

New up by .13 to 60'
New up by .30 to 330' (65% of the gain from launch through the 2-3 shift!)
New up by .38 to 660'
New up by .43 to 1000'
New up by .47 to 1320'

That's 1 tenth gained on the top end showing that the bulk of my ET gain was mainly traction and being a chunk lighter in weight.

Even the extra trap speed gain was pretty much all done in the first 660' with nearly a direct carry over to the end. Considering past half track is all HP to weight verses drag it's not surprising I only picked up about another .2 mph verses my previous numbers when compared to the first 660'.

Who knows? Maybe I picked up the nail before the staging lanes before run 1 and I would have trapped 103mph??? I only checked my air pressure waiting in the tech line. Okay 103's not likely but still...
Posted By: 99cougar Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 06:00 AM
i think it may be a defect in the shaft that broke like that. The last time i went to the track i broke both axles, this was last spring. The shaft on the driver's side broke of exactly like that, as a matter of fact i saved the piece that broke of. It is in my garage right now. The reason i say it may be a defect is beacause all i have as far as "power" mods go is an intake, crappy 2.25 borla exhaust and a lightened flywheel. I do have a different clutch and Torsen also. Who knows?
Posted By: Stazi Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 01:45 PM
Cryo treating will not change the morphology of a Quench and Tempered axle shaft - so no it won't do squat for it.

Secondly, that failure is NOT a defect. I could whip out a copy of my spline shear stress calculation to show you that the stress concentration at the root of a spline tooth is extremely high (due to the high "k" factor that splines hve on stress calcs), and that ANY car could break those axles - maybe not the first time, but the cumulative fatiguing of the shaft at the spline root would eventually snap it like that. That break that Demon posted pictures of is a text-book example of a shaft fracture at a spline transition.

Like I said the only way to beat this phenomenon is as follows:
1) Larger spline diameter (not possible in this application)
2) Better spline root to relief transition (i.e. smoothing of the spline root) - expensive
3) Better quenching with a polymer instead of water to increase toughness and improve grain structure
4) Use of a 41xx series steel with higher concentration of chrome and molybdenum - also expensive for a production car with a common driveshaft across all V6 MTX lines.
5) Reduce shock loading

You need to remember (or learn if you're not an engineer) the effect of impulse/aka shock loading. i.e. Applying 100ftlb of torque to a shaft over 1 sec is 10x less damaging than applying it over 0.1sec (i.e. like in a launch at high rpm's)

hmmm...i wonder if the steel between the stage 1 and stage 2 axles are any different?
Posted By: TGO Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 06:20 PM
so demon, how much horsepower is your car making? I'm very curious...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 06:36 PM
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:

Let's just say, since he removed the restrictor plate, the car's not quite street legal.

I'd like to thank Will Ferrell for that little bit of humor.

Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 06:38 PM
now if only greg had a red csvt we could call it the 'red dragon'.

Originally posted by TheGreatOne:

Let's just say, since he removed the restrictor plate, the car's not quite street legal.

I'd like to thank Will Ferrell for that little bit of humor.

Mark

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 07:27 PM
HAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! That'd be F'n hilarious!
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 08:32 PM
Here's the scripture off of SPMotorsports site for the drive axles...

STAGE 1
1117 billet inner housing with oversized Tripod, 4130 chrome-moly induction hardened bar, 1117 billet outer C.V. induction hardened, Thermoplastic Elastomer Duraboot spline plug inner C.V. design. Stage 1 NOT recommend for drag racing.

STAGE 2
1117 billet inner housing oversized tripod, race-proven chrome-moly 4340 torsional center, 4340 c-m outer C.V. induction hardened, Thermoplastic Elastomer Duraboot spline plug inner C.V. design.

Just thought i'd try and help out.

Robert
Posted By: Stazi Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 08:52 PM
43xx series chrmoe-moly steel...pricey - but good!
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/17/04 09:24 PM
my question is how'd you get the broken piece out of the trans? Or is that the CV side...I don't think it is...
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
my question is how'd you get the broken piece out of the trans? Or is that the CV side...I don't think it is...

its part that connects into the knuckle.

Btw, instead of the red dragon, why dont we just call it the angry dragon. haha, we'll see how many people get that one.

EDIT: durr...im a retard. Maybe i should look at the picture first.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 12:05 AM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

Btw, instead of the red dragon, why dont we just call it the angry dragon. haha, we'll see how many people get that one.

no thats the part that connects to the tranny. look at the little snap ring on it
Posted By: JasonJ Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 12:13 AM
yep, i get the angry dragon joke. gross, but funny.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 04:05 AM
Like i said i broke mine that same exact way, and if he has a torsen, which i think me does, then in the diff there is a "blocker plate" to keep the two shafts apart. There is a small hole in the blocker plate just big enough for the right size punch to get it out. The only thing is you have to take out the other shaft and halfshaft to get the punch in there.

aaron
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:

no thats the part that connects to the tranny. look at the little snap ring on it

Yeah that ring gave me hell...I think that is the piece that goes into the tranny...i look over my trans swap pics.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 04:25 AM
angry dragon

kleenex anyone?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 05:09 AM
The BIG problem is the inner tripod shaft is the one that breaks.

They need that made from 4340 or better.

Making the outer out of it does not fix the problem. Why are not both made from it if it's a "Stage 2"

Making the outer piece from 4340 does nothing by itself!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Broken Shaft - 11/18/04 05:11 AM

I had to tear the other side apart and knock it out with a center punch.

There is a small pass through hole in the differential.
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Can't break that 101mph barrier can you? That's damn impressive though.
Anthony had called me to let me know and I could hardly believe it. It's too bad about the axle though.

I may have if I could have ran again with a full cool down and lots of ICE. Who knows???

Also that flat rear may have slowed the trap down in the second run??? Just speculation

Yes there were a lot of people there watching. I was stoked.

Wow! Congratulations. I am so pleased that you did so well. With a little luck and that extra timing you could theoretically have been looking at a 12.999
hehehe, I'm not expecting it but I think it is possible.

So you think that I will snap off my axles in my car if I run drag radials? I was going to actually run some drag slicks before I left but I couldn't find any rims to mount them on. I need to get some steelies and hook them up.
Let me know how that goes.

warmonger

Thats not uncommon and makes sense. The top speed in the 1/4 is determined mostly by the power the car makes and the coefficient of drag among other things.
The launch won't affect overall top speed but it will seriously affect the ET. If you launch strong you get moving UP to speed quicker and it saves you a bunch of time.
I understand that, but fromy experience in the SHO community and here, most FWD cars, have much higher MPH than RWD cars, usually associated with a higher powerband better launch, etc. For example my buddy's sho ran a 13.39 @ 108. The CSVT has about the same powerband, but a little bit shorter gearing than the SHO, and I would obviously expect a drop in ET with the better traction, additionaly I would expect a few MPH increase. Again, I fully believe you can drop your et .1 or even .2 with no MPh gain (as I have with practice in my truck, first time at the track I ran a 13.3 @ 103 and my last time I ran a high 13.1 @ 103). It just seems odd to have a total et decrease of almost .5 seconds and no mph increase? And I thought I saw someone saw they were having problems with the timers....but, like I said, I know Greg will return to the track and prove me wrong. IMO, I just think the 13.70 is a more accurate time.

Originally posted by warmonger:

Thats not uncommon and makes sense. The top speed in the 1/4 is determined mostly by the power the car makes and the coefficient of drag among other things.
The launch won't affect overall top speed but it will seriously affect the ET. If you launch strong you get moving UP to speed quicker and it saves you a bunch of time.

Posted By: akrump47 Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/18/04 03:10 PM
Un frikin beleivable!! Makes me want to go spend 5000 on my car. Please tell me SOMEBODY got a video of all this!!
I also was able to witness this amazing day at the track for demon! congrats again man.

When he staged for his 2nd run,the guy next to me said to his buddy, "what the hell is a escort doing here?"

I looked at him, and said, "That will be the fastest N/A escort you'll ever see."

After he saw demon run, he was in shock. it was great.

Great day at the track with lots of fast cars. glad to see its back on the road!!
Originally posted by dartsoccer8:
I am able to bare witness to Greg's 13.4!! congrats again man.

When he staged for his 2nd run,the guy next to me said to his buddy, "what the hell is a escort doing here?"

I looked at him, and said, "That will be the fastest N/A escort you'll ever see."

After he saw demon run, he was in shock. it was great.

Great day at the track with lots of fast cars. glad to see its back on the road!!

"That will be the fastest N/A escort you'll ever see."

Awesome.
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
"That will be the fastest N/A escort you'll ever see."

Awesome.

I must have that ZX4 option package...
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/18/04 07:21 PM

Making the outer out of it does not fix the problem. Why are not both made from it if it's a "Stage 2"

THis is what their website said-
This is our 300HP axle set for the Contour and Mondeo. designed for 300HP (maybe more) they are one solid set, center bars made from a high grade chrome moly designed to have more torsional twist (from our special heat treat) they are ready when you are. Using a different heat treat on the outer c.v. and using our oversized inner tripod these axles are ready. This axle can also be ordered in a special Road/Rally version. What we do it carefully polish and match the internals and use a special grease with vented boots (road/rally is an extra $100.00) email or call for ordering the road/rally system.

So, they apparently use an oversized inner tripod? Does that even help? I know of only BurritaSVT destroying these, but once again, that goes back to the shock coefficient Stazi was mentioning. . .sounds like no one could put slicks with 400+hp without destroying these axles. . . I'll go to the track with Tom when he's back to see if they can handle it, but I'm a bit leary. . .sounds like I'd have to baby the frist two gears and then play catch up on 3rd and 4th. . .
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

So, they apparently use an oversized inner tripod? Does that even help?
I know of only BurritaSVT destroying these, but once again, that goes back to the shock coefficient Stazi was mentioning. .
sounds like no one could put slicks with 400+hp without destroying these axles.

The Stage 2 has THE SAME inner tripod that the Stage 1 has.
ONLY the outer is made from 4340 steel.

Why that cheaped out is beyond me but even still they chose the wrong one to make from 4340 because the inner is the weaker link!

Yes the oversized tripods and larger corresponding CV joint help eliminate that as the weakest link.
The first axle I damaged was an OEM and the inner CV was what failed.
The HD (Stage 1) axle failed at the inner spline while the larger CV's withstood the beatings. (many more beatings on street tires before the 3 drag radial runs)

Without replacing the entire tripod with one made from a stronger material the inner tripod will always be the weakest link.

You are correct that Stage 2 axles are a complete rip off and offer no gain in launching ability.
Even Stage 1 axles are a rip off because you can buy the exact same thing from GCK for $120 each (retail) with a lifetime warranty vs ~$400 a set with a "limited" 6mos rebuild warranty.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Broken Shaft - 11/19/04 03:11 AM

Just thinking, couldnt you drill a hole in the part that broke. Tap it and use one of those body punches to pop it out?
I know what a pain in the azz it is to pull an axel.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Broken Shaft - 11/19/04 04:32 AM
Originally posted by dubkatz:

Just thinking, couldnt you drill a hole in the part that broke. Tap it and use one of those body punches to pop it out?
I know what a pain in the azz it is to pull an axel.

Pulling the other side took maybe 15 minutes.

It is a simple job.
Pop the tie rod, end link and ball joint. Then hit the 2 nuts for the carrier bearing. Pull the suspension off the ball joint and let it hang. Pull the intermediate shaft out far enough to let it clear.

Drilling into a piece of billet steel (even non chromium) and in that tight space would be a major PITA. Not to mention the metal shavings might drop into the transmission.
Then you still have to figure out a way to get a slide hammer to attach to the piece and when you do hope it doesn't break the attachment!
Greg, they say if you don't break every once in a while, you're not trying hard enough. Congrats on those new times, and keep on trying hard! You're almost fast enough to hang with my new combination slated for next spring...
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/20/04 07:16 AM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

So, they apparently use an oversized inner tripod? Does that even help? I know of only BurritaSVT destroying these, but once again, that goes back to the shock coefficient Stazi was mentioning. . .sounds like no one could put slicks with 400+hp without destroying these axles. . . I'll go to the track with Tom when he's back to see if they can handle it, but I'm a bit leary. . .sounds like I'd have to baby the frist two gears and then play catch up on 3rd and 4th. . .

Oh, does that sound fun!
If the two of us get together at a texas track here.....
I have plans too! I need to get some exhaust work done AND make up a new 70mm TB when I get back because I seem to have lost my old one ....

Lets make sure we do at least the first couple of runs on street gas so you don't go and blow me out of the water.
I'll try to get that crap done in the first 2-3 weeks of getting back so we won't have to wait long. Then I can see what happens just from some wider stock tires and exhaust/intake improvements.
Posted By: BurritaSVT_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/21/04 02:42 AM

yeah i know the feeling and mine was on street tires.........lol
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/21/04 05:25 AM
Originally posted by BurritaSVT:
yeah i know the feeling and mine was on street tires.........lol

Interesting.

I see you broke your's on the other end...

Did you get a lot of wheel hop???
I just read the whole things -

Congrats on the passes Demon...

Have you looked into tuning your suspension a bit more?

You can drop alot of rotating mass in the rear and lessen rolling resitants (sp?) by using some narrow rear tires and skinny drag rubber like Moroso, M&H or M/T front runner tires.

It drops alot of unsprung weight and gives a decent boost in trap speed.

Also if you have balanced out the front suspension a bit and kill some chassis squat in the rear, you can cut some 1.9 and 1.8 60ft times on drag radials.

You also might consider switching to M&H or Mickey Thompson winkle-wall radials. They should dampen alot of wheel hop your getting now, when the side walls flex to take up some of the shock load. BFG and Nitto DR's don't flex at all in the sidewalls.

Check them out there -

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.html

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/21/04 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Thomas:
1. Congrats on the passes Demon...
2. Have you looked into tuning your suspension a bit more?
3. You can drop alot of rotating mass in the rear and lessen rolling resitants (sp?) by using some narrow rear tires and skinny drag rubber like Moroso, M&H or M/T front runner tires.
4. It drops alot of unsprung weight and gives a decent boost in trap speed.
5. Also if you have balanced out the front suspension a bit and kill some chassis squat in the rear, you can cut some 1.9 and 1.8 60ft times on drag radials.
6. You also might consider switching to M&H or Mickey Thompson winkle-wall radials. They should dampen alot of wheel hop your getting now, when the side walls flex to take up some of the shock load. BFG and Nitto DR's don't flex at all in the sidewalls.

1. Thank you

2. It is tuned. FOR Autocross and road racing. Just drag racing is irrelevant really. Well definitely in a FWD car!

3. See answer 2. A big waste of money IMO and definitely for my setup.

4. That's not as big deal in acceleration because it's not the drive wheels or causing extra drag because they are on the front. It does slightly lower rolling resistance. I ran with my rears at 42-44 psi to help achieve some of that same effect (i.e. riding on just the middle of the tire) and that's free.

5. I have No lift or dive. I have H&R's with Bilsteins!

6. Maybe for someone that wants to truly drag racing their heavy FWD touring platform. Slicks have a lot more rolling resistance so you need to seriously up the power level to over come that loss on the top end.
I know sub 2.0's are out there on DR's if the axles could hold it.
Heck even on the same axles if you slip the clutch a lot more. Letting the clutch take the initial brunt (more then just a simple slip too! ) should be good for sub 2.0's with the proper setup and power to weight.

My axle did not just "instantly" break. I slipped the clutch (apparently not enough ) and the car jumped forward and only when I rolled to full throttle did the axle twist. You can see the twist marks in the metal and then it just fractured from that point.

So slicks are at the bottom of the list after spending a grand or so on Stage 3+ axles. IMO money not worth it unless you jut had it to burn or had to have the FWD launching ability!
For those power mongers; with axles that held one would surely be the quickest car out there.

It's been proven it doesn't take monster power to be the quickest but just very good power to weight combined with better driving and traction.

I've never liked FWD and I like it less more and more.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 04:43 AM
I would love to see one of us install a set of radius arms. Honda people swear by them, and I think we would benefit more.

Looks like my car might just be the mule.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 07:08 AM
the ONLY advantage the atx has is during launches

when i had the atx I pulled a 2.2x 60' time, on bald snow tires, that will never happen w/ a mtx

with teh atx i launched by holding the gas and brakes and teh torque converter would stall at 3500 rpm

doing this it also pre-loads the drivetrain instead of an all-at-once shock like you get by dumping the clutch

btw my 2.2x 60" time the converter was only stalling about 3000 cause taht was after it was kinda messed up

Posted By: SAV Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 07:11 AM

with teh atx i launched by holding the gas and brakes and teh torque converter would stall at 3500 rpm

3500? Damn.

In my old Contour, also a V6 although not a 3.0, I'd be lucky to see 2300-2500 with the brakes holding back the car, and that was with the gas matted to the floor.

Even the Zetec I have now doesn't go near 3000 before stalling. How did you get yours so high?

-SAV
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 07:14 AM
Originally posted by SAV-ZX2:

3500? Damn.

In my old Contour, also a V6 although not a 3.0, I'd be lucky to see 2300-2500 with the brakes holding back the car, and that was with the gas matted to the floor.

Even the Zetec I have now doesn't go near 3000 before stalling. How did you get yours so high?

-SAV

i ahd my torque converter modified for a higher stall.

i went with a no-name company that was half the price of level 10, and thats why i had issues with it. you get what you pay for!
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 03:03 PM
Quote:

I pulled a 2.2x 60' time, on bald snow tires, that will never happen w/ a mtx

Hey I got a 2.09 x 60" time and I was running 18' rims.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 04:23 PM
I get consistent 1.9X 60fts :-)
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 05:37 PM

In the contour right?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 05:41 PM
um...of course
Originally posted by Bronco_II:

In the contour right?

Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/22/04 06:13 PM
um...of course

In the contour right?

Weak!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/23/04 01:32 AM
Originally posted by mmars:
um...of course

In the contour right?

Weak!

Aw... Give 'em a break.

He has the aerodynamics of a brick and is pulling over 2 tons to boot.

He's got to be quick somewhere...

BTW there is a prime example of good ET with no trap speed. Torque to weight power baby...
Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/23/04 01:42 AM
um...of course

In the contour right?

Weak!

Aw... Give 'em a break.

BTW there is a prime example of good ET with no trap speed. Torque to weight power baby...

Yeah, I'm just messin with him...

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/23/04 02:51 AM
Now imagine how much it would slow down if I stuck my big head out the window :-)

And I think I can get a low 1.8 out of it on F1s if I take it to the track enough :-) alot of guys have pulled mid 1.7s on stock rubber :-)
um...of course

In the contour right?

Weak!

Aw... Give 'em a break.

Posted By: Steeltwo Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/23/04 03:06 AM
Now imagine how much it would slow down if I stuck my big head out the window :-)

And I think I can get a low 1.8 out of it on F1s if I take it to the track enough :-) alot of guys have pulled mid 1.7s on stock rubber :-)

thats is a really good track. around here stock lightnings can't cut past 2.1's.
Posted By: nasty1 Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/23/04 05:52 AM
I wish their was some video of the run with the c5. I have a friend that is always talking about corvette this corvette that (with an occasional reference to a RUF Porsche). It would be nice to throw some back at him.
Originally posted by nasty1:
I wish their was some video of the run with the c5. I have a friend that is always talking about corvette this corvette that (with an occasional reference to a RUF Porsche). It would be nice to throw some back at him.

You and me both!

If it had been a 1000' race I would have whooped him... IF...

That's a big if since IF the race was 1/2 mile it wouldn't have even been close.

I'm sure it still scared the hell out of him to almost lose to the family 4 door. I'm sure he wouldn't have heard the end of it.

Apparently the announcer implied I was going to get killed before the race started.
I wonder what he said when I was at half track and still handily ahead???
probably.......

i do believe i misjudged this family sedan

nice job man
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: New vs Old = Traction is KING. - 11/23/04 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Blackcoog:
Quote:

I pulled a 2.2x 60' time, on bald snow tires, that will never happen w/ a mtx

Hey I got a 2.09 x 60" time and I was running 18' rims.

Greg, you need to get up to Cedar Falls next year. The staging lanes are nice and smooth and plenty of grip. As for Chris' times (Blackcoog)... dude, every time you left the line I was waiting for a big POP! That thing was hoppin like a mutha!!!
Posted By: Wijn Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/24/04 02:40 AM
Wow, I'm impressed!

Wijn
Posted By: ezsvt Re: Went to the Track - Good new & Bad new - 11/30/04 09:19 PM
Congratulations...you really have done a fine job with getting the most out of that car.

FWIW, I broke my stock axle similar to that, and I was making a lot less power. I think its the wheel hop that really puts them over the top though.
© CEG Archives