Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: todras_dup1 NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 05:51 PM
I've seen a Magnum but can't recall where locally. Looked damn cool.

These are HEMI equipped Chargers, and they top out at 150MPH in full dress. As a comparo, the NYPD Crown Vics and Impalas topped out at 125 and 115 in full dress, comparitively. I'd feel a little more than intimidated if I looked up and saw that in my rearview.

Found this info on Chargers/Magnums used in MI as patrol cars. Haven't seen any yet though.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-19-2005/0004172666&EDATE=
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 06:01 PM
newer cruisers now have the LED's as their emergency lights on top now. Those reflector ones are gettin outdated, man you guys ever see those LED ones! FREAK me out at night..lol
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 06:40 PM
the leds are such low profile they are much harder to spot from a distance.. Not that i would be doing anything where i would need to keep an eye out for them
Posted By: PacificTourG Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 06:43 PM
I saw a cop this week with a black Charger.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 06:50 PM
Originally posted by PacificTourG:
I saw a cop this week with a black Charger.

I saw some Polizei today in a Mercedes wagon (silver w/green accent paint job) and a Ford Sierra (all green).

M-B Wagon:

Ok, maybe it was a Ford Scorpio:

Just for fun, an ST200 police car from the Czech Republic:

Lookie at what I found:

WTF?

Ok, apparantly is a dude wearing a girl mask:

uhh...

Now I'm really confuzed!
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 06:58 PM
the charger looks good but, Ford needs to do something with the crown vic becuse it is so outdated right now.
Posted By: "shotty driving"-ds Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 07:03 PM
What.....The......****.......
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 07:21 PM
Originally posted by "shotty driving"-ds:

The wierd thing is that I searched "Polizei" on Google images to find that!

EDIT: apparantly this site has a bunch of pic of Polizei cars if you're interested.

Check out what France is using for police cars:

So I guess french cars suck so bad, they're using Japanese cars?

Ok, no getting away from the cops in your rally car:
Posted By: stocksvtcontour Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 07:26 PM
I know that the madison heights police dept has a charger patrol car. They don't have top mounted lights, and some inside equipment yet so they use it as an unmarked car.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 07:40 PM

Posted By: PurpleMystique Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 07:40 PM
Originally posted by my98SVTturbo:
the charger looks good but, Ford needs to do something with the crown vic becuse it is so outdated right now.

Yeah, the 500 is supposed to replace that, but there's no way a 500 could catch anyone. Looks like Dodge is up to make some sales on this one.
Posted By: Martin_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 08:22 PM
Aussie Police Ford
Posted By: ElKy Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 08:46 PM
looks like a taxi!
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 08:47 PM
Better watch out Goonz, I saw a bunch of these sitting in the training area at Ft Devens the other day. They are getting issued to the various barracks.

Man I hope these thins work out. They look so bad ass!!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Martin:
Aussie Police Ford

If it didn't say 'POLICE' right there on the side, I would think this was a cab.
Posted By: SVTC1136 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 08:50 PM
Yeah the Australian cop cars are pretty sweet in general (I'm an aussie expat). That one is a promo car they used in Melbourne. THey would give people "good driving" tickets with little prizes or something .
In north queensland there are wrx pursuit cars because people were outrunning the cops up there and that was the only thing that could catch them.

EDIT: The ford falcon would be great over here. I don't know why they don't bring it across.
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 08:53 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Todd, you really must stop posting post facelift pictures of yourself.

Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Trapps:
Originally posted by todras:

Todd, you really must stop posting post facelift pictures of yourself.

At the very least, stop posting the "after" shots!
Posted By: bensenvill Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 09:19 PM
I've seen 2 charger cop cars around the chicago area... I'm not sure what department they are actually from [assuming state trooper]
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 09:39 PM
Seen a Charger state trooper here in IL.
Posted By: m4gician Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 09:44 PM
Yep, all over the Charger is the police car replacement for the Ford Crown Victoria and Chevy Impala. Especially here in the province of Ontario.
Posted By: ilive4sports Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 09:45 PM
I know that the PA State Police are changing to dodge chargers now. Still wont top the few 1998 Cobra R's they have though.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

I saw some Polizei today in a Mercedes wagon (silver w/green accent paint job) and a Ford Sierra (all green).

M-B Wagon:

Yay Germany! I saw a group of 5 of these drift a round about at about 45mph in Munich with lights and sirens blazing! It was actually really cool

Posted By: cops_got_my_SVT Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
newer cruisers now have the LED's as their emergency lights on top now. Those reflector ones are gettin outdated, man you guys ever see those LED ones! FREAK me out at night..lol

The Sheriff's department I work in is slowly changing to LED's, they last longer and are much brighter. Florida highway patrol is getting a set up that their lights come with a sensor. During the day they are all Red and at night all Blue. The driver can change the night setting to Blue and Red.

I have about 5 more months before I turn in my '03 vic with 105k miles for a '04 with around 50k miles. What an upgrade

Most of our road patrol deputies put on the average 150 miles a day on their cronw vic's so it wont be long before most of out crown vics are outdated.

Posted By: buttersSVT Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 10:26 PM
auburn hills has the magnum, charger, and 300 with the hemi opt. along with the intrepid, and they use them in force
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 11:13 PM
Those rims are unique to the police cars, go figure
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/17/06 11:59 PM
Search police cars in yahoo search and I got this.

Posted By: sigma Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 12:15 AM
Originally posted by m4gician:
Yep, all over the Charger is the police car replacement for the Ford Crown Victoria and Chevy Impala. Especially here in the province of Ontario.

"All over" is a bit of a stretch. The Crown Vic still secured 94% of the RWD cruiser purchases this year. Agencies are trying out the DCX cars, but virtually none are "replacing" their Crown Vics. Not yet anyhow. And it's not likely to happen on any significant scale considering that the DCX cars, while very fast, lack in comfort, ergonomics, and ability to support all the equipment that many agencies require.

With more and more agencies instituting rules restricting chase speeds, top speed is relatively unimportant when compared to the day-to-day living issues that the DCX cars have in relation the Crown Vic.

Quote:

EDIT: The ford falcon would be great over here. I don't know why they don't bring it across.

Primarily because the last generation of Falcon didn't support Left Hand Drive. But also because it would eat into Mustang sales.

But the next generation of Crown Vic, when Ford replaces the Panther platform in 2010, will probably be replaced with the successor to the Falcon's EA169 platform. Ironically, the same platform that the LTD (what the Crown Vic was known as in the US before the mid-80s) is still built on to this day in Australia:
Posted By: dpa43_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 12:51 AM
My Hometown has had 3 of these for about 4 months now.
They look mean as hell coming up behind you!!!
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 02:09 AM
Some local township police have Chargers. A couple of 'em run aftermarket/no mufflers.
Posted By: JEFFtourCT Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 03:43 AM
no pics but i hear CT has a late 90's mustang with no markings and has been instigateing drivers on 95.. then pulling them over.. ha

also i know we have corvettes and i swear on my life one night a few years ago i saw a startford unmarked police car that was a contour. this was before my love for the svt so i dont know if it was an svt or not.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 11:54 AM
I've noticed one in the tiny town of Lee NH. Its been on the road since the spring.

I'm wondering how a Chrysler product will hold up to the abuse that the P71's take day-in day-out. Most P71s you see for sale are well over 100K miles, and you know they aren't babied, but are well maintained.
Posted By: jtour Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 02:01 PM
I got you all beat!!!!
I hope this works.

Posted By: BigBEN_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 02:06 PM
Oakland County in Michigan has some and i have seen them around!
Posted By: PurpleMystique Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jtour:
I got you all beat!!!!
I hope this works.

Right click open in new tab and it works.

Quote:

Those rims are unique to the police cars, go figure

Don't get jealous, according to the link they're 18" steel wheels and hubcaps
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 05:49 PM
livonia has them
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 10:07 PM
I'm going to NYC tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for them and if I spot any, I'll snap some pics.

They look hot though from the pics.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JEFFtourCT:
no pics but i hear CT has a late 90's mustang with no markings and has been instigateing drivers on 95.. then pulling them over.. ha

also i know we have corvettes and i swear on my life one night a few years ago i saw a startford unmarked police car that was a contour. this was before my love for the svt so i dont know if it was an svt or not.

I've never seen the Vettes or Mustangs but I have seen unmarked Camaro Z28's that cruise the pike on Friday and Saturday nights. They try to get people to race from red lights and then pull them over right after.

Buddy of mine that is a Newington officer drives a 98.5 Silver Frost SVT. Asked me to race one time.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/18/06 11:16 PM
Originally posted by B.Brattina:
livonia has them

Yep, just saw one 20 minutes ago...now i have to learn what their lights look like at night.
Posted By: 1bdtour Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/19/06 01:10 AM
saw the charger police car in forsyth today looks bad ass looks alot more intimidating than any crown victoria would
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: NYPD is getting new cruisers - 08/19/06 08:27 AM
I know my department is getting them as well . . .

They look bitchen - we have had a demo unit for about 4 months now. Its just white all over, so man - it freaks people out to see it light up!
© CEG Archives