Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/02/06 11:25 PM
I'm looking for peoples's opinions on larger wheels on four wheel drive trucks, good or bad.

I'm in the market for some aftermarket wheels and better tires before winter hits, and I'm not sure which way to go with my truck. I am adding a leveling kit in the front (2.5" lift) now, pics coming soon.

Here are some examples of some F150's that have the leveling kit, but aftermarket wheels.

This one has 325/55/20 (33-34" tall, 13" IIRC) tires on 20X10's. I like this look!

This one has 33X12.5X18's on18X8.5

This one has 33X12.5X17's on 17X8.5 wheels..... M'eh.

Here's my F150 in OEM form... (It's dying for a billet grill!)

...which is in the same spot that I took pics of my SVT at
Well, larger wheels are nice and all, but their usefulness comes to an end the second you go rock-climbing. What's the point of putting on 20s if you tear them all up the first time you go off roading? That is what you are doing in a 4X4 right? Please tell me you aren't one of those people that buys an AWD full size pickup and does nothing but drive around the city with it.

Anyway, I think a set of 17's would be just about right, combined with some BFGs, and you've got a pretty decent setup.

A beef I have with the leveling kits, they look pretty good until you tow something heavy and the tail droops down. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Swazo Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/02/06 11:47 PM
I don't plan on rock crawling in this truck at all, though I will be doing a fair amount of light trail use. Not a grocery getter by any means

The OEM wheels are 18", but the tires are as much as 20" I want a wider stance, so a 4.5" backspace on a 10" wheel is what I want.
Though, the bigger the wheel.... the smaller the sidewall

I agree about the leveling kits, but I will also be adding a Pro Comp 1.5" add-a-leaf within a month or two. They're pretty low cost.
that first one is the best. A levelin kit and AAL's will be just fine. any preference on tire company?
Posted By: Swazo Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 12:08 AM
I've always have liked BFG AT's or MT's. This time around I'm thinking of Nitto's or Irok's
Terra grapplers? mud grapplers?

IROKS? trxus mts?

Bfg mt and at are great, proven tires. its just to me, to many peeps are running them.

Pro comp xterrain ats come in a 33x13.50x20, as well as a 35x13.50x20. as well as mickey thompson mtz and atz.
i like the first one the best.
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 12:39 AM
The first pic gets my vote.

Aaron
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 12:46 AM
First for sure.
What lug paatern?? i might be interested in your factory if available

PS that hood on the tour is HAWTTTTT!
Posted By: svt4stv Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 12:57 AM
swazo, check out Intro wheels for some nice rims for your truck. i can get you a sweet set made.
33s are a good mix between DD and trail use. 31 is too small, and 35+ starts to get big for DD. I say 33-34. It depends on the tire really, because most mud tires actually sit a bit higher or lower than the sidewall states. My 33 TSLs sat at 34 inches, and I know the TSL radials (33) sat at about 32 inches. Dont know about other makes.

To be honest, I would drive a truck daily on 44s, but thats cause Im a bit of a redneck.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 10:17 AM
stock height f-150 with some 33x13.50 on some 15 in american racing rims
Posted By: jtour Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 12:12 PM
I love the way the first truck looks.

Oh yeah, the rims. I say either go big or dont, so 20s or 17s. Tires will be cheaper with 17s, not to mention you wont hate yourself as much when they get beat up a bit offroad. The yellow truck looks good, but I really like the red one too (but you already knew the MTIIs were my fav )
My boss put a set of 20's on his F150 and I gave him a lot of crap about it until he actually got them mounted up. Surprisingly they don't look like big ole dubs, they actually fit the truck pretty well. If you're not rock crawling then you don't need all of that sidewall for flex and grip, just a bit of a taller sidewall to fill the wheel gap once you put the levelling kit on.

Rick
Your right, 20s really dont look bad at all with big tires around them. Plus, stock wheels are getting so big these days its not much of an upgrade in wheel size!
Originally posted by Swazo:

Are those the stock rear fender flares?
Originally posted by PurpleMystique:
Originally posted by Swazo:

Are those the stock rear fender flares?

That's the flare-side. (step side)
Okay, I see it now. I guess I hadn't seen one of those before.
Posted By: m4gician Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/03/06 06:47 PM
26 INCH [censored]!!! MAKE SHO DEY BE FAT CROM'IN, ROCK DAT SHIZZ TIL 5 IN DA MORNIN
Originally posted by m4gician:
26 INCH [censored]!!! MAKE SHO DEY BE FAT CROM'IN, ROCK DAT SHIZZ TIL 5 IN DA MORNIN

'nuf said.
Posted By: Swazo Re: What size of wheels look good on 4X4's? - 08/04/06 04:53 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes the 20's with nice truck tires on them!

Originally posted by GIT-R-DONE:
Terra grapplers? mud grapplers?

IROKS? trxus mts?

Bfg mt and at are great, proven tires. its just to me, to many peeps are running them.

Pro comp xterrain ats come in a 33x13.50x20, as well as a 35x13.50x20. as well as mickey thompson mtz and atz.

BFG's area tried and true, and they're a good all around tire that get good milage out of them.

Trxus MT's, MT ATZ's, Nitto Terra Grappler, a few Dick Cepek tires and Super Swamper Irok radials are some I'm really looking at because they're trad design and lower price. I don't want to spend any more than I have to ($400 a tire is BS...) but I don't want to go cheap either.
A good tire in a 33X13.XX X 20 is what I'm after.

Now to find a 20X10 wheel that I like and is about $300....

Originally posted by svtizzle4stizzle:
swazo, check out Intro wheels for some nice rims for your truck. i can get you a sweet set made.

Yeah right, not on MY truck! But there are a BUNCH that I am drooling over for my Impala! What can you do price wise??

Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
To be honest, I would drive a truck daily on 44s, but thats cause Im a bit of a redneck.

If it weren't for these gas prices, I'd be getting a 6-8" lift and running 36-38's
© CEG Archives