Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 10:15 AM
======================================
WARNING THIS IS REALLY LONG! 7 hi-res pics 56K!
======================================

So I was talkin to this girl and I get a voicemail out of the blue (phone didn't do the call waiting thing...), so she says I can check that and she'll call back in 5 mins. So I check it, have no idea who it is and delete it. Then I wait for like a half hour and I try calling her, no answer... so I wait another half hour and I'm like screw this, I'm gonna cruise around the countryside (she IM'd me and said her bro got a call and she'll talk to me later, that's cool).

So I'm driving around the country side and say to myself: "It's 12:30am, I got 3/4 tank of gas, and Lethbridge is only 2 hours away... why not just go to the border and come back..."

So I'm cruising this "frontage road" that ran along I-15 for a ways until it ended up being a dirt road. Figured my car was dirty already, let's see where it goes. Well, lots of turns later trying to get back twoard I-15, I find this really cool one that was all twisty and hilly. So I pretend like I'm a rally car driver and let me tell ya, this SVT is helluva lot more fun than my old Contour was on dirt. The rear end does exactly what I want it to in turns...

Anyhow, after going over I-15 and finding another "frontage road" on the other side, I repair the loose ground wire to my amp (I guess it wasn't crimped tight enough, the dirt road helped it fall out) and I was on my way to find an on ramp.

Get on I-15 and head up. Figure "Ok, now I have 1/2 a tank, damn bad mileage on dirt roads... If I don't find a gas station within the next 50 miles, I'm turning around." Well, I find a gas station, and pay $1.38/gal for 91 octane.

So I'm on my way again, this time changed my plans to actually go to Lethbridge since now I have plenty of gas to get there and back. Well, I continue up I-15 for maybe 5 miles... and....

Here's some more math for ya! But this time it's like elementary school level:

This:

Plus this:

Equals all of the following:

The last pic is most important!

So yeah, dang big ass rabbit is haulin ass across the road and I nail it at 80mph. I'm like "Sh*t, the bumper is definatly broke from that!"

I stop to check and hear this hissing noise and do a quick looksie on the side of the interstate, thinking "sumvabitch I punctured the radiator, I hope I can get it home." Then I take a pic of the rabbit and head back to the gas station.

Get back there and open the hood for some more in depth inspection and realize "Where's the grille?!?!" I was thinking "Crap, I don't know if I want to go back for it if my car is losing coolant..." Then I start on the inspection and while opening the hood to check the coolant level, I remember my coolant is orange, not green. So it's full and I keep lookin, oh, broke one of the fan mounts, that needs fixed, but I can still get home. Keep lookin, go to the hit spot and remember from high school auto shop that we put ultraviolet dye in the refrigerant so we can find leaks... well, IT WORKS!!!! heh... So the oil cooler punched a hole in the condensor. Well, that needs fixed too... So then I decide to go find the grille since nothing driveability wise got damaged.

So I drive back to the scene and it's not there, cause I remember it being attached when I did the looking, So I go to the "Authorized Vehicles Only" turn around where I turned around earliar and drive like 40mph up the road until I spot this:

Yay, so I gather my pieces and head on home, watching my guages like a hawk in case I actually did puncture the radiator and/or oil cooler.

So anyway, all that happend like 100 miles away from here, and I'm not pissed off (well, just a little!), but really glad it wasn't something bigger like a fox or deer (or really bad like a moose or something!).

SOOOOOO.... anyone know if a radiator shop can fix an A/C condensor and if a body shop can repair the bumper? If the bumper can't be fixed, looks like I'm gonna bust out some black duct tape and fix it up until I get back from Kuwait.

Now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the grille...
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 10:26 AM
oh sh!t what kinda rabbits do they grow up there!!!?? i've hit a raccon with my fiberglass/carbon fiber front bumper and have never broke it.... sorry about that..the dirt roads sound fun anyways,,,
Posted By: GS474 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 10:31 AM
sorry about your misshap your very lucky it wasn't a deer
That last picture kicks ass!
A well told story - The best part is about the 1.38 gas - That makes it more like a fairy tale
Posted By: starjammir Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 01:51 PM
Man thats not cool!! Also whats up with the high temp on the temp gauge??
Yeesh. Freakin' jackalope. But you are lucky it wasn't any bigger.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 03:32 PM
see what happens when you get bored!
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 03:41 PM
Aside from being dead, the rabbit looks in better shape than your car.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Conor7seven:
A well told story - The best part is about the 1.38 gas - That makes it more like a fairy tale

I agree its more than a dollar more here!

That looks like an Se grille from the back, is it?

Good luck with the repairs man! If you cant duck-it...

PS-Why is that bunny sleeping on the side of the road??
Posted By: hrsepwrdrms Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 04:21 PM
Atleast it wasn't a deer or even worse a horse! Sorry to hear about this man.
Good Luck
Holy crap thats horrible! Hope it gets fixed soon. Any idea if insurance is going to pick up the bulk of it? Oh yeah....

Psst don't worry, there will be plenty images of me to photoshop comming this sumnmer
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 05:03 PM
$1.38/gal for 91 octane HOW?!?

That sucks it broke your car a bit, but that's some good eating right there.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 06:31 PM
this thread is getting funny!

sorry to hear about your luck. i hit a rabbit a little while ago going close to the same speed, no damage though. i just about crapped cause i thought my bumper was fugged. i could hear to poor guy bounce off the bottom of my car a few times as i went over him oh well, i dont swerve for animals unless they are big ones. my car and safety is worth more than a broken bumper. i was happy i didnt have the mirko on, though. . .
Posted By: RawBurt Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 07:05 PM
Originally posted by LancasterSVT:

LMFAO, funniest thing i've seen all day!
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 08:40 PM
Dang dude, sorry about the luck, thats great gas price too. That had to be a big ass bunny, like super bunny or something.
I remember one night this stupid traffic cone in the middle of the road laying flate, bottom side towards me (bottom part dark colored like a brownish black color, remember this is at night) couldn't see it I was like less then 12 feet away, and I was doing 35 was about to swerve and I thought if I swerved my tires will hit it (don't really want that), I thought fast, slowed way down to 20-25 and it went right under my car, thought it would do some damage but didn't, got lucky there. Haha, funny thing about that is, I looked in my rear view mirror, I made the cone stand up.
Heh... crap... it was $2.38, not $1.38! Remember, I did this at like 4:30am...
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
Aside from being dead, the rabbit looks in better shape than your car.

I was thinking the same thing.
Sorry about your car!
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 10:35 PM
Hey think about it this way- if you didn't go 80mph, the bunny would have prolly been already out of the road by then.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Hey think about it this way- if you didn't go 80mph, the bunny would have prolly been already out of the road by then.

The same could be said for going 90.
Rabbit killer!!!

Posted By: Mystique97 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Rabbit killer!!!

SHHHH!...be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting wabbit, hahahaha.

Originally posted by Beowulf:
Originally posted by Matt R:

The same could be said for going 90.

Here's what it woulda looked like
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 11:02 PM
Was that a chunk of car coming off? Geez.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 11:24 PM
Nah, by the time he had passed, the rabbit would have been no where near the road.
Damm sorry to see and hear about this..
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/05/05 11:36 PM
Originally posted by hrsepwrdrms:
Atleast it wasn't a deer or even worse a horse! Sorry to hear about this man.
Good Luck

So I went to Walmart...

Duco Cement for the grille (gonna try that for now), and some black duct tape for the bumper.

Rollin ghetto for a while I guess.
might be ghetto but it works...
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/06/05 02:02 AM
looks fine from a distance, most people wouldn't even see it.
Originally posted by ZetecGL:
looks fine from a distance, most people wouldn't even see it.

Yeah... I hope I don't lose the grille so I use it for a 1st time mesh install and see what happens.

My uncle says the condensor will probly cost more to repair than to just get a new one, so I'm gonna look that stuff up.

EDIT: woah... just looked on Bill Jenkin's site, the list price is $442.76 for a bumper (F8RZ-17757-DA)... maybe I'll call Progressive and see what they can do. Condensor (XW2Z-19712-AA) is $228.00. Grille I'm not too worried about (but is $114.26, F8RZ-8200-AAA). I think I'm going to call Progressive on this one.

I should call them tonight and see what they say...
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/06/05 02:33 AM
Dizammmmmmmmmm!!! poor bunny > Black CSVT That sucks arse... can hardly believe that little creature caused so much damage...
Originally posted by Quick_SVT:
That sucks arse... can hardly believe that little creature caused so much damage...

I know... was talkin to a friend who mentioned if I had a normal hieght car, nothing would have happend (except kill the rabbit).
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/06/05 03:51 AM
Man, that sucks big time. Crazy rabbit.

Your scaring me though cause I'm heading up to Canada within the next month or so to go meet up with this girl from Toronto. If anything like that happens to my SVT I'll probably shoot myself.
Posted By: esveetee Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/06/05 09:21 PM
ya, I'm goin on a road trip for a family reunion in a little while, don't think I could deal with breakin a bumper on my way there.

p.s. 2.38???? that's still cheap, it's in the 2.50s here
Hey, I finally made it to Canada! They almost didn't let use in due to no passports, but they did anyway.

The people of Lethbridge seemed to like my car a lot... Too bad I went while it was dark. Seemed like a nice place to take pictures of.

Posted By: muskamike Re: I just wanted to go to Canada!!!!!! - 04/14/05 04:02 PM
hey dont keep our money! we need it!
© CEG Archives