Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: weargle What Azenis look like after 70ish runs - 05/03/04 07:06 PM

I had them flipped over today. What you see on the bottom is what Azenis look like in a heavy car running only 1.7* negative camber. (the bottom of the pic used to be the outside of the tire)

I rotated these front to rear for different events to get them to wear evenly. Hopefully I'll get another 30-40 runs out of them before I have to get new ones.
A little off topic but does your inside rear come off the ground in the turns with your susp. setup?
I have seen picks of stock csvt doing that on stock susp.
Yes, stock SVT's will do that. Infact all stock Contours should. Mine did it all the time.
Wes,

You said you run -1.7* camber. What is the range of that kit?

Not second-guessing your setup, just considering a purchase

Thanks,
Randy
Posted By: weargle Re: What Azenis look like after 70ish runs - 05/05/04 06:52 PM
After I installed the H&Rs (with the camber kit set at full negative camber) and took it to the alignment rack, it was set so wacky high that the machine couldn't get a reading. Of course, the toe in looked like I had broken both tie rods too, so that may have helped the problem too. The guy estimated about 3.5-4* camber was there. I went with a more middle setting, but what I should have done was go under the hood with a sharpie, tip the tech guy, and manipulate the camber and get toe/camber/caster ratings at different settings so that I could make adjustments later on (like in the pits of an autox course).

That's what I get for being so damn_smart, huh?
Originally posted by Qbert:
Yes, stock SVT's will do that. Infact all stock Contours should. Mine did it all the time.

I don't think ALL contours will do that, and tires would make a HUGE difference when it comes to lifting the inside rear wheel.
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

I don't think ALL contours will do that, and tires would make a HUGE difference when it comes to lifting the inside rear wheel.

I could be wrong, but i do beleave he ment all tours with azenis will do that. Obviously my old worn out bald kumos arent gonna do that. My question however was more along the lines would a tour with H&r's, konis and a big rear sway bar lift the inside tire.
Originally posted by dubkatz:

I could be wrong, but i do beleave he ment all tours with azenis will do that. Obviously my old worn out bald kumos arent gonna do that. My question however was more along the lines would a tour with H&r's, konis and a big rear sway bar lift the inside tire.

OOo, yeah that makes sense. I can't wait till the day I get some 15"s with azenis. After that, I can't wait for the day that I can find a place to auto-x.
Posted By: weargle Re: What Azenis look like after 70ish runs - 05/06/04 01:05 PM
Originally posted by dubkatz:

Yes.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: What Azenis look like after 70ish runs - 05/06/04 11:57 PM
every SVT contour with stock or close to stock suspension will pull the inside rear off the ground no matter what tires your running..
I love reading your posts.

Now tell me...how does it matter what tires are on the car to lift a tire off the ground? Its not in the wheels its in the stiffness of the body...

Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Now tell me...how does it matter what tires are on the car to lift a tire off the ground? Its not in the wheels its in the stiffness of the body...

I can gaurantee you, I've got some tires on my 14" wheels that won't. Reason why: to pull the wheel off the ground, you have to be moving at a decent speed, not real fast, but you have to be moving, then you have to be turning. Well if your tires suck, then the three that are on the ground are never gonna hold up to the point where the fourth wheel can lift.

By the way, I love reading your posts as well because you never back them with any facts.

Grip, my friend. Grip. You gonna lean? Or just slide?

Tires have a huge impact on suspension forces.
Posted By: weargle Re: What Azenis look like after 70ish runs - 05/07/04 01:05 PM
I wish that I could remember where that pic of the Neon that almost tipped over was. It's all grip. You'll never pick up the inside rear on 19.99 K-Mart specials.
Posted By: MFE_dup1 Re: What Azenis look like after 70ish runs - 05/07/04 06:48 PM

...and in front roll stiffness vs rear roll stiffness...and available suspension travel...and in body roll...and in grip, because increased grip means more body roll...and when body roll gets high enough eventually your foot falls out of your mouth...
So you love reading my post and the posts of three others reaffirming what I said?
Yes, I will take my foot out of my mouth this time. Although, we are both right. I'll shut up now, someone take my keyboard away...
So you love reading my post and the posts of three others reaffirming what I said?

Posted By: weargle That made a difference - 05/11/04 05:05 PM
That made all of the difference in the world. It's nice to have grip again. Finally caught that Civic Si, I was only 0.140 seconds out of a trophy. Next time, he's mine.

http://www.vmsc.org/results/2004/2004_05_09/index.html
Posted By: Randy Gunn Re: That made a difference - 05/11/04 08:29 PM
Good job Wes. What made the difference...flipping the tires?
© CEG Archives