Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Who's excited for the upcoming season?! - 04/18/03 06:04 AM
I know I am, get out on the track for the first time this year only a bit more than one week from now!
I'm VERY excited!! I went autoxing once and I whooped just about every WRX there. Now I have Eibachs/BAT's with brand new Toyo Proxes T1's and a 3.0L with Quaife!

Plus I've been w/o my car since about December so I'm probably just a little bit anxious about being able to drive it at all!!
I know i'm excited! I got into SCCA last season, and have been to a couple events already. This season in the Tennessee Region SCCA we're doing every event outside the Nashville Superspeedway. I just put some 225/50 Kumho 712s on the car, they perform so much better than the 215/50 Comp T/As I had on there. I'm having trouble keeping pace with the experienced guys in little rice burners, though. I know I can whip an Integra GS-R in a straight line, but it's gonna take me a while to catch up around the cones.

Jed
Kentucky region SCCA here. I am excited. At the cobweb shaker I did poor. I was running my winter tires. I have the Azenis on now. I want to work on the nut behind the wheel before I do the Koni/H&R suspension. I need to practice my trail braking, left foot braking and finding my slip angle, not to mention hitting my apex, learning to go slow in fast out, and being smoother. Did I mention polar moment and yaw control? LOL I have been reading a few books.
Ha ha, yeah, books are good. "Bob Bondurant on HIgh Performance Driving" is a nice read. It's kinda old, but hey, it's Bob Bondurant. All that stuff you said... it's so hard to keep all that in mind during a run, or even figuring it all out sitting in the grid... Oh well, practice makes perfect, and I enjoy practicing car control a whole lot more than I ever enjoyed soccer practice!!
Yea i've been meaning to read some good books, ah well its on this weekend!
You guys might want to check out the " Secrets of Solo Racing" by Henry A. Watts its a good read and covers time trials and solo 2. BTW, I found it at my local Barnes and Noble. Later
Originally posted by btramm:
You guys might want to check out the " Secrets of Solo Racing" by Henry A. Watts its a good read and covers time trials and solo 2. BTW, I found it at my local Barnes and Noble. Later

Yes, I liked it, too.

I'm excited b/c now I have TWO SVT's to choose from!!
Anybody know of good books that are road racing specific?
Is there a class for just stock street cars like my bone stock 99 tour atx....
If so Im thinking of grabbing a POS AWD tempo I can get one froma friend for liek 150 bucks and it runs fine plus I had a tempo before so i cna do small thing to it w/ ease
Yes, but before I invested any money in the sport I would find my local SCCA group attend an event and just ride along with people. They're alot of people that are willing to allow you to ride along with them as long you explain to that your new to the sport and just trying to get a fill for it. I think the best way would be to go to the regestration tent and tell them your interested in riding along if they could please just pass the word around the grid. There is also a good chance that there is at least one instructor in your region make sure you ride with him at least once. You might also want to pick up a book just to get the basics covered before you go out. I hope this helps and the sport is great fun, good luck.
cool, theres loads of event rite by me in ny. Im going to mazda rev it up im gonna take all the 3 autox classes there. they make u dirve an atx but o well my mtx driving isnt spectacular but i can defintly drive a standard rather well. countign the days till around 12-18 months i get my new car w/ another mtx... most likely the tour will be worth $4.57 enuff to buy me a cheap lunch
© CEG Archives