Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Sidewinder_dup1 Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/11/03 07:09 PM
I have a 99 SVT with BAT springs, adjustable Konis, 21mm sway bar, caster/camber adjusters, and Falken Azeni tires.

What should I set the strut rebound to for optimal autocrossing? Any other recommendations? For the record, I'm going to be competing in Street Tire Stock...
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/11/03 10:02 PM
Well not knowing what the BAT handling kit is like I'd suggest going with full soft - 1/4 turn up (out of 2 full turns) up front. In the rear I'd probably do 1/2-3/4 of a turn up. That should give you a good starting point.

Tire pressures I'd suggest is 46/36-38 F/R. Go with 36 if you like the car loose, 38 if you want it more under control in the rear.

Camber I'd go with -1.5 to -2 up front depending on how easy it is to adjust back to street setup. And probably -1 degrees out back.

Here's a question for you though, how can you run in street tire stock when you have a rear bar, aftermarket springs, caster/camber adjusters? Check again, but I have a feeling you're going to be running in STS instead.
Posted By: Sidewinder_dup1 Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/11/03 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Qbert:
Here's a question for you though, how can you run in street tire stock when you have a rear bar, aftermarket springs, caster/camber adjusters? Check again, but I have a feeling you're going to be running in STS instead.

Yeah, I realized after posting that I meant STS...
Posted By: JETNBYA Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 12:10 AM
I had the BAT springs, and they are pretty soft. I would go a little stiffer on the Konis. And if you are running in STS, I believe you can use race tires. I highly reccomend it! Also, let me know what you think of the camber adjusters, I have them and I am not too happy. The only thing holding the strut in the tower is that cheesy aluminum plate on top.

Jim
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 01:45 AM
The only reason I suggest staying so low on the Koni's is, Koni statets on their website that unless you're running a fully prepped racing setup, you should probably won't use more then 1 turn. Koni's are already incredibly stiffly valved. I've read somewhere that they are valved to handle 450-500 lb-in springs at the maximum setting, don't know what they are valved to for the minimum setting though (that would be good to find out).
Posted By: Brentos_dup1 Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 02:53 AM
My car is set up with stock springs and a 24mm tubular rear sway bar (aussie bar). I also have the konis and the Falken Azenis tires. (STS)

My fastest setup has been full soft in front and full stiff in rear with the tires inflated to 41 or 42 psi front and rear. Setting the konis up this way makes the car very tossable in transitions, and it doesn't have to be driven quite as carefully to avoid understeer. The aussie bar makes it quite neutral in steady state cornering.

Any time I set up the front stiffer than the rear, all I get is push, push, push, unless I am extremely careful on turn in. It also exhibits some spooky handling characteristics at higher speeds. I recommend never running the rears softer than the front.

Your fastest settings may be different since everyones preferences and driving styles are different.

This setup is also very neutral, and more importantly, easy to drive (predictable) on a road course.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 04:46 AM
Originally posted by JETNBYA:
And if you are running in STS, I believe you can use race tires. I highly reccomend it!

You can't. STS is just a step up from stock, it's designed for younger crowd with lightly modded sport compacts.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 08:13 PM
Best tires for STS or STX are Falken Azenis Sports, hands down, without a doubt!
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:
Best tires for STS or STX are Falken Azenis Sports, hands down, without a doubt!

You could argue that. BFG KD's beat them in a Grassroots Motorsports comparison. I've also heard that in cold weather S-03's are faster. The person that said the S-03's were faster said there was one other tire besides the KD's that were faster then the Azenis also, but would not divulge the information (national champion mentallity ). This is from a reputable source that has done testing with all of these tires.

Would I buy any of these other tires over Azenis? NO, unless I was running for a national championship. Kind of like my arguement between Hoosiers and Kumhos. Why waste the money for local events. Even then on our cars you would be hard pressed to convince me that Hoosiers are the better choice (ie. less straight line traction then the Kumhos and would get burned off really quickly).
Posted By: JETNBYA Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Qbert:
Kind of like my arguement between Hoosiers and Kumhos. Why waste the money for local events. Even then on our cars you would be hard pressed to convince me that Hoosiers are the better choice (ie. less straight line traction then the Kumhos and would get burned off really quickly).

So what are the best? What are the costs of the 2? I am using E1 stock wheels for auto-x and some open track, and have to get new race tires, so what are your best suggestions---brand and size?

Jim
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Auto-X setup recommendations? - 03/13/03 10:30 PM
Originally posted by JETNBYA:

So what are the best? What are the costs of the 2? I am using E1 stock wheels for auto-x and some open track, and have to get new race tires, so what are your best suggestions---brand and size?

Jim

Lets start with my pick on size. I'd suggest 225/50/16's on all the V6 Contours. Why? Because that is the closest size to stock. I know you're saying, "What about 205/45/16's?" I'd say that would be a good option if, our gearing sucked (which it doesn't), or our cars weighed under 2700lbs (which they don't).

Ok now for the tires.

Hoosier A3S03 225/50/16 - $191 (Heat Cycled)

These are great tires. They lack a little in straight line traction compared to the others, but once hot they will hold in the corners better then any other DOT legal tire. They have incredibly stiff sidewalls and are the lightest, due to their fiberglass belt construction, then any of the other tires. They don't last long at all due to their soft compound and they have the least tread of all the tires with just 4/32nd's tread. I believe you will need spacers to fit these on the car without major rubbing issues. These tires are WIDE! Hoosiers shine on concrete! These CANNOT be run on the street at all. That is one reason why I put the heat cycled price on this tire.

Kumho Victoracers 225/50/16 - $130 (Full Tread) $145 (Heat Cycled or Shaved)

These are what I currently run. Good straight line traction and great life. The problem with these are the sidewalls. I compensate with extra air pressure, running up in the mid 40's on asphault. They give up some grip to the Hoosiers, but are still A LOT stickier then any street tire. You can drive to events on these tires, though that adds heat cycles which starts killing traction. You can fit these without major rubbing issues, they will rub in hard corners though. I'd recommend these if you are running a lot of autox's and 1-2 track days a year.

Kumho Ecsta V700's 225/50/16 - $128 (Full Tread - WET ONLY) $143 (Heat Cycled or Shaved) $158 (Heat Cycled and Shaved)

These wear a little faster then the Victoracers and have a sharper sidewall. The sharper sidewall gives them the ability to hold at the edge longer, but once it gives way it is harder to regain traction. Great all around tire, I'd rank it right with the V700 and could be my next pick in tires. Supposedly they are saying that you have to shave these tires to use them in the dry or you'll get excessive wear, I'd believe it. One nice thing about the tread design is you can rotate the tire from outside to inside throughout the year to increase life. These will fit without major rubbing issues, but will rub in hard cornering. Again, these are for the person running a lot of autox's and 1-2 track days a year.

Yokohama A032R's 225/50/16 - $165 (Full Tread)

These tires will not die! They can go through tons of heat cycles and still maintain good traction. They don't hold as well as the Kumho's, but the last easily twice as long. They are a great track tire. These should fit without major rubbing, but they might rub in hard corners like the Kumhos. If you're doing more then 2 track days a year I think these are the tires for you!

As you can tell I like the Kumhos. They give you great traction and life at a good price. Hoosiers give you incredible traction and low life at a high price. Yokohama gives you unbeatable life, but sacrafices traction to do so. If you've never been on race tires before, even the Yokohama's will bring a smile to your face. Judge your budget and determine what type of performance driving you want to do.

Here are some comparison pics between the size difference of the Hoosiers compared to the others:

225 Hoosier vs. 225 Kumho V700

Stack of (2) 205 Victoracers + (2) 225 V700's on the left
Stack of (2) 205 Hoosiers + (2) 225 Hoosiers in the center
Stack of (4) 205 Yokohama's on the right

Note the difference between the Kumhos and the Hoosiers even though they are rated at the same width!

Hope this helps guys!

© CEG Archives