Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: todras_dup1 What class? - 07/06/06 06:45 PM
Anyone know what class I would be in with my SVT.

Mods: Baer brakes, Quaife, Koni's, Eibach's, rear strut tower brace.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/06/06 07:07 PM
How does your rear strut tower brace connect?

Is it a single bar going from the top of one to the top of another or is it a crossbrace?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/06/06 07:08 PM
Single bar across that connects to the top edge of the tower. Same you see on most Contours.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/06/06 07:10 PM
Looks like an STX car to me assuming you are running street tires (140+ treadwear) no greater than 245mm and 8" wide or less wheels.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/06/06 07:18 PM
Yea Eagle F1's. Has intake and exhaust too. Doubt that matters.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/06/06 07:20 PM
As long as the exhaust has a cat no more than 6" back from the orginal last cat you should be good.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: What class? - 07/06/06 08:52 PM
His brakes aren't stock calipers. Doesn't that bump him?
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/06/06 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
His brakes aren't stock calipers. Doesn't that bump him?

Yes to STX same place the Quaife put him.

14.11.A.7. Brake rotors may be replaced with any rotor of equal or larger diameter made from a ferrous or aluminum alloy. Calipers are unrestricted, but must mount to the original attachment points. Drum brakes may be replaced with disk brakes of a diameter equal to or greater than the inside diameter of the standard drum part. Brake backing plates (dust shields) may be modified the minimum amount necessary to accommodate allowed alternate rotors and calipers.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: What class? - 07/06/06 10:15 PM
Huh, interesting. Isn't there a class that allows different brackets/rotors, but stock calipers? I thought that was the STX rule.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What class? - 07/07/06 05:14 PM
What class will my svt be in? If my tires and wheels get here next week, there is an event I'm going to take it to.

It has intake, exhaust, struts, springs, rear sway bar, stazi end links, and rstb. I'm pretty sure all of that is prepared legal. And running on victoracers (hence why I'm looking at prepared classes). Though I think even just the end links would put it out of STS.

I'm thinking DSP, am I right?
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/07/06 05:26 PM
Endlinks are fine in STS.

DSP sounds like your class running the victoracers.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What class? - 07/07/06 05:34 PM
I don't know where I got that endlink thing from, something I thought I saw when trying to class my zetec a year or two ago.

DSP it is then.

For my future plans, what class will the brake upgrade warmonger is working on put me in (fsvt front rotors, csvt front rotors on rear)?

And what would a 3L swap w/ headers and a lsd take me to on top of everything mentioned above?

Thanks.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/07/06 06:00 PM
Originally posted by moxnix:
Endlinks are fine in STS.

What are the Stazi endlinks?

While the "method of attachment" of the swaybar is unrestricted in STS, the "bushing rule" still applies.

What am I missing?

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/07/06 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

Spherical with poly bushings.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/07/06 09:02 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by RogerB:

Spherical with poly bushings.

Well, I just checked and (in '05 at least), the same bushing rule applies to SP. You can use any bushing material except metal, you can't increase the amount of metal relative to compliant material in a bushing, and you can't change bushing type (from, say, cylindrical bushings to spherical bearings).

Now, this seems to be in contradiction to the "swaybar rule", which is in a different section, and says "bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted." This is also identical to wording in the ST section.

So, maybe I'm reading too much into this, and mox is right.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: What class? - 07/07/06 09:43 PM
The bushing rule is for suspension mounting points. Swaybar endlinks don't come under that rule, and are thus unlimited.

3L is Street Mod. LSD and/or headers is okay for STX or DSP.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/09/06 10:34 PM
The brake upgrade is a weird one. Upgraded brakes are not legal in DSP but are legal in STX so running R compounds and the brake upgrade should put you in SM. But if you read the start of the SP rules you will get this rule

"Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current national Street Touring (ST) class rules are permitted to compete in their respective Street Prepared classes, with the additional allowance that they may use any tire which meets the requirements of 15.3 and fits on the ST-legal wheels and within the ST-legal bodywork."

So as long as your wheels are 8 inches or less wide and you are not taking advantage of any of the SP prep rules except for the tires you can continue to run DSP with the brake upgrade and R compound tires as long as the rest of your prep is STX legal. However you may need to show other people that rule. Also make sure you brakes are STX Legal

"14.11.A.7. Brake rotors may be replaced with any rotor of equal or larger diameter made from a ferrous or aluminum alloy. Calipers are unrestricted, but must mount to the original attachment points."

Auto-X Fil already answered the 3L/LSD/headers question.

RogerB: While I am not sure if the bushings rule matters to endlinks or not when they state that something is unlimited I belive it would trump the general rule and let you do whatever you want there.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: What class? - 07/09/06 11:00 PM
Thanks. I doubt anyone around here would bother nit picking my setup anyways, but I wanna play fair.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What class? - 07/10/06 02:00 PM
Originally posted by moxnix:

RogerB: While I am not sure if the bushings rule matters to endlinks or not when they state that something is unlimited I belive it would trump the general rule and let you do whatever you want there.

Yeah, I think you and Phil are right. Since the swaybars are called out separately, the general suspension bushing rule does not apply to the swaybar.
© CEG Archives