Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I know there is a modded pan that prevents oil starvation. I am going to race Auto-X this season and i need to know if modded oil pan is something i should look into getting on before i race. Im not going to take the chance of killing my car.
Oil pan replacement may not be allowed in your class. Adding baffling is allowed in street tire classes. But, oil pans are a patch and may not help that much. If you're modded and going to Street Prepared anyway, an Accusump would be an option that will work well.

I run without and don't worry. Use 6 to 6.5 qts and make sure it's always at least that full. I think I may be losing some power thanks to the exta oil (I do 6.5), but it's worth it.

Here are two threads:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=scca&Number=599862
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=scca&Number=865103

Basically, you very rarely have long, extended turns in autocross. There's almost never enough time to get the oil away from the pickup and suck air. If there is a very long right-hander, either straighten it out into chunks (may be faster anyway) or shift up. But I haven't run into a course with one that has made me worry yet.
You should be fine running extra oil. However, if there is a part number that supercedes the original one, you can run the uprated part.
Ok thanks for the info! I was also looking into getting a DMD because i hear they are good for auto-x.. Cant wait to show the people of North Dakota my SVT.
the DMD crazy has seem to faded....I don't know if thats because we all bought them, or if because they are 'snake oil'
The result of the debate was something like this:

• They make a real improvement in percieved smoothness at high revs
  • They probably cost a tiny bit of power - it's negligible.
  • They don't save the engine or reduce wear by any real amount.

Conclusion: it's just a NVH mod. The driver may be happier, but the engine isn't really any better off.

Don't start this argument again if you don't agree with me: go read all the old posts. (Not to anyone in particular, just sayin'.)
I thought the DMD made a night/day difference with NVH at high rpm's -- nice and smooth at 6000-7000rpm.

In reguards to oiling / over-oiling... I've been autocrossing this powertrain (Cougar Feb 2000-2003, Contour 2003-current) with 1 extra quart and haven't had any oiling issues. There have been 2 courses that I may have altered my angles because of long right hand sweepers though.
Yeah, please don't take what I said to mean the DMD is no good - most people love it. It's just not needed to keep your engine in good shape.
At inspection for Auto-X do they really notice [censored] like the oil pan!? I mean on the car the visible differences between escape pan and the stock pan are hard to spot!
Inspection is not for classing it is just for safety.

You class yourself in the correct class based on the mods that you have.
i cant run autocross with subframe connecters can i?

And i cant do track with subframe connecters either(not drag) Also, would adding 6.5 quarts of oil help during a track day?
Yes you can run AutoX no problem.

I am not sure what class they put you in.
Originally posted by Tourige:

Sure you can. You'll be running in a heavily prepared class, but what class you're in doesn't really matter for local events. I belive you'd be in Street Mod.

Quote:

And i cant do track with subframe connecters either(not drag) Also, would adding 6.5 quarts of oil help during a track day?

Are you asking if you can do a track day with subframe connectors? You certainly can: there are no class rules about car prep, since it's not a competition. And yes, I'd go with 6.5 qts for any track time. I'd really consider an accusump if you're going to do much track time, but there are some people that have done a lot of track time with just an extra quart of oil, and had no problems.
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Originally posted by Tourige:

Sure you can. You'll be running in a heavily prepared class, but what class you're in doesn't really matter for local events. I belive you'd be in Street Mod.

Quote:

Are you asking if you can do a track day with subframe connectors? You certainly can: there are no class rules about car prep, since it's not a competition. And yes, I'd go with 6.5 qts for any track time. I'd really consider an accusump if you're going to do much track time, but there are some people that have done a lot of track time with just an extra quart of oil, and had no problems.

i dont plan on doing much tracking, ill probably do it 3-4 times over the course of the summer.
So you think a person should go with performance pully's instead..? I know there are prob alot of posts on this already but i thought this would be good for the AUTO-X fourms!
You guys have been a great help thanks
The Noob from ND

I just bought some Enkei J-10 rims with some BF goodrich G-Force T/A KDW NT tires (They look MEAN) and made my own battery relocation kit. I plan on racing ALOT this summer.
If you want to get that last one-onethousandth of a second, the lighter underdriven pulley might get it for you. The DMD might cost you 0.001 second. But, for a streetable car, the DMD is reported to make the engine feel much better at high revs.

In other words, it's not a big deal. Don't sweat power. Going to Falken Azenis over the BFGs would be worth a lot more times. If you like the idea of a smother-revving engine, then go ahead and get a DMD. It won't cost you any real time.
I'd recommend underdriven accessory pullies over the crank pully. You'll also want to make sure you have good powersteering fluid (Redline). I cooked my p/s pump during some summer events 2 years ago. Since then, my p/s is underdriven, has redline, and I'm looking into a better p/s cooler.
Well this 15th marks the first time im going to auto-x my svt. I will keep you posted as to how i do. Thanks for the oil pan info!
Jake the noob from ND
Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!
If you want to get that last one-onethousandth of a second, the lighter underdriven pulley might get it for you. The DMD might cost you 0.001 second. But, for a streetable car, the DMD is reported to make the engine feel much better at high revs.

Have you officially rethought your position on this matter?

Yes, I bought a Unorthodox crankshaft pulley for the Miata. Hell for $120 off, I couldn't say no. Worse comes to worse, I'll sell it at a profit anyway.
Originally posted by weargle:
Have you officially rethought your position on this matter?

Yep. After reading the latest tech, I see that in some engines a DMD can acually result in gains because of less bearing friction. In fact, I now would not reccommend the lighter pulley to anyone (for a Contour). There may or may not be (more) gains to be had from the lighter pulley, but there may be more rod bearing stress too: something I do NOT want on this motor!

Thanks for setting me straight, guys. After all my reading I want a DMD now!
Well Auto Cross was awsome 4 a first timer like me. I DNF'ed the first 3 races and made a comfortable 55 seconds on my last race with 1 cone down worth +2 seconds. I was supposed to be placed in the stock class but some how ended up in street prep'ed lol.... guess they know i have a SVT? The BF-Goodrich tires hooked like no other and i made sure to cut up the track. I had a lot of people in Grand Forks ND scratching there heads... wanting to know what kinda of car i drove. I had some friends take some pic's and vid's of me and them racing ill c if i cant post them soon here. I still cant wipe the grin off my face i love this sport........... Till next time ill keep you posted
If you're SVT is stock, you still run a stock class I believe.
yup.. stock Contour SVT's are still G-Stock.
The only things i have done to it is, 18x7.5 rims with
215-40-18 tires. I took the carpet and stuff out of the trunk and relocated my battery inside. I asked the chairman of auto-x what class i would be in and he said stock but we had some newbees using the equipment... they might have messed up ill make sure to ask them next time i race.
Originally posted by Aspenmeteor:
The only things i have done to it is, 18x7.5 rims with
215-40-18 tires.

that puts you in STS, not stock.

Quote:

I took the carpet and stuff out of the trunk

This is kind of a technicality. Assuming you left the carpet on the sides of the trunk, you can run stock with the floor gone, although it's technically protestable.

Quote:

and relocated my battery inside.

Inside where? If it's in the trunk it's okay for STS, if it's not behind the rear seats, I have no idea.

Quote:

This is kind of a technicality. Assuming you left the carpet on the sides of the trunk, you can run stock with the floor gone, although it's technically protestable.

See rule 13.2.K . It's allowed.
But the carboard piece that holds the tire in is retained by the wheel holder. There was a big discussion about this on sccaforums a while ago. I would say that the carpet can go: it's like a floormat, since it's not attached. The board, however, has to stay to be legal in the strictest sense.
I'm not sure what year SVT he has, but my spare cover is a one piece cover (carpet glued on cardboard) and the spare tie down is below the cover -- doesn't go through it.
What morbid said.
Oh, that's interesting! My car has (had) a loose piece of carpet, and a board with a hole in it under that. There is a plastic piece with a threaded rod that holds the board and spare in place under the carpet.
Do you have a full sized spare or a mini? Mine's a mini... not sure if that makes a difference. Might also differ depending on year.

Quote:

For STS, wouldn't removeing the side carpet put you in SM or a prepared class? I thought in STS, only the stuff supported by the spare tire could be removed, other than cutting small holes for a strut tower brace.
I have a mini.

Yeah, I think you'd be in a prepared class with the carpet gone.
I have a 2000 Ford Contour Svt, The carpet and wooden board is one piece. I have the battery mounted in the trunk. I took the spair tire out and anything that could of moved around inside - so yes there is no carpet at all inside the trunk. I thought that tires wider than 225 would put you into STS. I dont think the rim size (mine being 18" would matter)?
I have a 2000 Ford Contour Svt, The carpet and wooden board is one piece. I have the battery mounted in the trunk. I took the spair tire out and anything that could of moved around inside - so yes there is no carpet at all inside the trunk. I thought that tires wider than 225 would put you into STS. I dont think the rim size (mine being 18" would matter)?

For stock, wheels must be the stock wheels, or a replacement wheel of the same dimensions, with offset within 1/4" of the stock wheels. Tires can be any size you can squeeze on the wheels without cutting fenders.

For STS, wheels can be no wider than 7.5", and tires are restricted to no greater than 225 nominal section width. Wheel diameter is unrestricted, except by the fenders. (You can roll the fender lip, though.)

I dunno about the trunk.

The carpet/board can be removed, them. The battery is okay for STS. RogerB is correct about tires: your wheels push you out of stock. However, your carpet removal from the trunk puts you into Prepared. We're not listed that I can find, but I think it should be EP. Why don't you just stick it back in? It only weighs a couple lbs, tops.
The carpet/board can be removed, them. The battery is okay for STS. RogerB is correct about tires: your wheels push you out of stock. However, your carpet removal from the trunk puts you into Prepared. We're not listed that I can find, but I think it should be EP. Why don't you just stick it back in? It only weighs a couple lbs, tops.

Ya i could do that, This was my first time in auto-x... I would tell you im going to leave it out just to make it sound like im not in it to be competive. And i guess the quickest car's were, 1. Mitata, 2. BMW, 3. STI, Then i think a S2000...? But i would like to see my name on a shiny plaque on my wall that said i beat the hell out of the people in my class... So i think im going to get the carpet back inside the car and hope for the best... Out of 45+ people that showed up i ended up some place in the middle for time... and reviewing back on the in car vid i sould of stayed in 1st gear alot longer! so next time i plan on having a even more fun.
1st gear is usually a bad idea. I'm almost always faster if I leave it in second the whole time: even if I'm down to 3k rpm. The last thing you need to think about as a newbie is shifting: your speed will come from learning the line. Read the stickied newbie guide, and the links therein: make sure to buy and read "Secrets of Solo Racing"! Also, ask a local pro (preferably someone who likes fwd) to take a run or two with you, and drive your car. They'll probably do well enough to win a class that isn't highly competitive.
There is no way im going to launch in 2nd.... 2 reasons why! 1. You WILL kill your tranny syncro's 2. the track they had was pack full of hair pin turns(this is new info to you). It would of been better for me the keep it in 1st rather than having to take one hand off the steering wheel to shift from second back into first (only on some corners) I did use 2nd on 2 of the straight ways. As far as reading a guide, Im going to hold off everyone has there own way of racing and it wins first for them. I think the more time i have behind my own wheel in auto-x i WILL get faster. I like getting info from you guy's dont get me wrong!!!!
I may be a newbie to auto-x and this web page but dont get the impresion i dont know how to handle the abilities of my car. -Just think i can only improve now- HEHE

Thanks for eveything you guys have helped me with.
Reading followed by seat time is the only thing that will improve your times more than seat time alone. Just take a few minutes to read the thread, and you'll drop huge amount of time, and not develop any bad habits. Many autocrossers do bad things because they make them go faster at first, but hinder them later on.
I don't think that anyone is telling you to launch in first, but grab 2nd as soon as you can and then concentrate on steering, throttle and brake inputs. You'll never need first again with the torque that you have.
Well May 13th was my 2nd ever auto cross with my SVT. And i finally got my car into (STS class) which is the right class for me. must be some kind of internet protection. Any ways i got one 41.XXX seconds on one run without any cones... I hit 4 cones in 9 runs and was 7th in PAX times... I love this sport!! Im a little mad though a 95 contour SE-Sport beat me in my class only because of the cones i hit... and a prelude but i think he was miss-classed because a carbon fiber hood should of made him SM? I cant wait till the next auto cross. If you would like to see the times go to the links ill send you and click on the http://www.sccabadlands.org/
and it sould take you to the times.
© CEG Archives