Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pole120 how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 05:30 PM
i'm curious how i would go about determining what class i will be running in in an upcoming auto-x....i'm not yet sure how this all works.

if need be i can post a mod list.

thanks guys
josh
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 05:41 PM
Post it.

your class depends on the mods that you have.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:09 PM
i'll post it this afternoon, thanks.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:30 PM
Unless you have anything like F/I or an LSD, you can probably run STS. If you have an LSD, then you're in STX. I'd run the street touring class for a day even if you have engine tweaks like no precats, just because the competition is much better. If you're going to really get into it, then you'll want to make sure you're abiding by the rules, but there's an unofficial "no weenies" rule in the ST classes, so I'm sure no one would care about a few minor points. The odds of you beating many people your first time out is slim in STS anyway, and no one ever complains unless they lose!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:33 PM
then only thing that worries me is my CF hood....someone told me i would get bumped to a calss way out of my league because of it...

also, my svt tb is optimized....
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:37 PM
CF hood = SM sorry it was good knowing you but you will get killed.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:39 PM
You might want to see if they have a novice or X(Street Tire) class where you will at least have a chance of doing ok even with your class being SM.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:43 PM
Yep, you're cooked. SM is the land of enigne swaps and FI. Show up, talk to the other STS guys, and then register. Odds are if it's a small group they'll be cool and let you run with them. If it's bigger or they're just very serious about the rules, or you just want to run by the rules, then go to SM. It's not like you can't compare your times with STS anyway. I like it more when regions let you run wherever you want, within reason. Others like sticking with the rules very strictly. Say, optimized TB, CF hood, no cats, etc, as long as you don't have a faster car. If you were in an '89 Civic Si, then you would have to worry about an unfair advantage.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:54 PM
ok...i can put my stocker on in a mater of 10 minutes, so no big issue there, what about intake.....

i built and intake from headlight i had, that completely seals the k7n cone filter off from the engine bay, all incomig air is from outside the car...legal?
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:54 PM
In Wichita, they have "fun runs" and usually an "open" class for guys who don't care about the whole Nationals structure.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 06:58 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
In Wichita, they have "fun runs" and usually an "open" class for guys who don't care about the whole Nationals structure.

that would be me...i have a lot of ideas and plans in the wroks right now ,and i don't know where they would put me in a class, but i'ld still like to run with them for r&d.

i'm a "run what you brung" kinda guy with this whole thing, i'll have to see if theres something like that wround here.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 07:47 PM
intake is open in STS. Anything goes.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 08:00 PM
OK great, so what about the opt. svt tb....i'm not at all about cheating, but i have no other tb to go back to....do they check regularly, i can't imagine it giving me much of an edge if any...?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 08:02 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. When you register say you are all STS legal except for the TB, and see what they say. Odds are good no one will care.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
intake is open in STS. Anything goes.

The intake is open but I don't know about the mods to the headlight. I know you are not able to do the turn signal intakes on the miata for ST. This sound more like that than a regular intake. I would need to know more detail on this mod to say for sure.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 08:43 PM
i took a stock headlight, and gutted the rear portion, minus the turn signal area..so the back of the headlight that protrudes into the opening in the header panel crates a scoop in to the engine bay(with batery relocated)when the lense is cut an modified wit hfiberglass.

then there is a fiberglass box inside the enigine compartmentn that fits to this unit and the filter sits inside, so when assembled on the car, teh filter is sealed in it's own compartment open only to outside air.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 08:55 PM
So you're only running one headlight? That puts you in SP, if the Miata mod is equivalent. But again; just go and have fun! TB and this put you in DSP, I think. In my region sometimes STS is faster than DSP. Sometimes DSP kills - it's all who has a good day and keeps mentally sharp. No matter where you race, you'll still have times from every class to lok at and compare, so don't sweat it.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/11/05 09:23 PM
In my region DSP is a lot faster than STS (5 seconds on a 60 second course). We also have a few nationally prepped DSP BMW's that tend to kill the rest of the DSP class and nobody like that in STS.

I would run DSP but actually compaire your times in your head to STS. If you want to get way into AutoX I would look at what class you want to go for and then start modding for the class.

STS - get stock parts for those that you need too put back to stock and do the suspension and minor engine mods Auto-X Fil talked about in his other post in this section and get good "street" tires and lightwight wheels no more than 7.5" wide.

DSP - LSD, ummm lots of other junk you can add on in SP.. also R Compounds and again lightweight wheels but I don't think they are restricted in width.

OR just go out and have fun in your normal driveing car and don't worry about the classing and run DSP with a very uncompetive car. I know one guy out in VA who is running his SVT in DSP of a few simple mods that he did to it before he started AutoX.
Posted By: Sharkey_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/12/05 08:41 PM
Originally posted by pole120:
OK great, so what about the opt. svt tb....i'm not at all about cheating, but i have no other tb to go back to....do they check regularly, i can't imagine it giving me much of an edge if any...?

I ran a SVT contour in G-stock with an intake and no res. I don't think anybody will care. I ran a national event with an underweight rabbit, and one of the national champions just laughed and said "I don't care what your car weighs til you beat me!"
And anyway, Auto-x is a "driver improvement" event. The best day for me isn't based on what class i'm in, or who I beat, but that my runs get better or I learn something.
Just have some fun and meet a couple people that are in your class that can help. And remember that no matter what you'll beat all the 350Z's out there (crap auto-x car, believe me)!!!!
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/12/05 09:34 PM
I prefer to be completely legal for the class that I run and not have a chance of it coming out later that I was cheating in that class.
I was running STS with just a short shifter

That is the way AutoX seems to run. nobody cares how legal the cars behind them are only the ones that beat them.

Since it is a driver improvment event I would just run the class you are legal for and compaire your times on your own with the class you think you are more of a fit into.

Please explain these results if the 350Z is such a crappy AutoX car.
http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/solo-05packwood-sun.pdf

BS
Glenn L Austin 2005 Nissan 350Z 99.240

GS (class contour runs in stock)
Karl Coleman 2005 Mini Cooper 101.020

or these
http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/solo-05denver-sun.pdf

BS
Andy Hohl 2,003 Nissan 350Z Enthusia Kumho 138.910

GS(class contour runs in stock)
Craig D Wilcox 2,005 Mini Cooper S 143.519

You will see a few local 350Z's with bad drivers but the car itself is not that bad for AutoX.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: how do you detemine your class? - 08/13/05 02:45 AM
350z is pretty good at autox's i've been to.
© CEG Archives