Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ktung Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/24/04 04:16 PM
Is it bad to autox with an auto tranny? It's the only car I have, 98 mystique. I'm wondering if I would run into any problems autoxing an auto because I heard that some people who autox auto tranny, transmissions screw up and especially the torque converter. What do you guys think?

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/24/04 05:03 PM
Well, I don't know specific stories, but you have to think that racing would put more stress on the driveline. If the ATX is a weak link, well, there you have it.

Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/24/04 07:04 PM
I autocrossed an Olds Cutlass with an ATX and had a blast. Never had any mechanical problems because of it but the Olds transaxle isn't as fragile as the Ford evidently. Tough call.
Posted By: MFE_dup1 Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/24/04 09:24 PM
It's no big deal, chances are you'll hold it in 2nd gear most of the time anyway.
Posted By: advocate_dup1 Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/24/04 09:35 PM
For best results upgrade the trans to ensure longevity.

Trans cooler, shift kit, chip, good fluid (changed often).
Posted By: CHF_Slapaho_dup1 Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/24/04 09:37 PM
Might be an advantage, you can keep both hands on the wheel at all times.

If it's a small, tight track, do like was mentioned earlier and keep it in 2nd gear.
Posted By: ktung Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/25/04 01:04 AM
alright, sounds good because it's the only car i have and i want to autox this year. Well if the tranny goes, at least that's a good reason to buy a miata. god i love that car.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 08/28/04 10:23 PM
The Mazda Rev-It-Up Challenge cars (at least the Sixes) were all ATX, and that's exactly what they said to do...get it into second by the first turn and leave it there, although I do wish I'd managed to hit first gear coming out of the last turn when I got a little slow.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Bad to AutoX with an ATX? - 03/02/05 06:48 PM
I think staying in second only works for duratecs. With a zetec, there is almost certainly atleast one or two places on the course that require first. Having an auto was the most frustrating thing when I auto-x'd.
© CEG Archives