Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Derk-xB Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 01:31 AM
Cost - $285 no matter what 2.5L UIM you send
Flow #s - coming soon
Date - undetermined, I want to wait and see what the Cougar people say (Cougar Fest is July 22nd). So, hold your horses on a date for right now.

Delivery & Terms
Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing aluminum components. All International Transactions must be Quoted. Payment can be made by prepaid check, money order, Visa, MasterCard or UPS/COD. Checks and money orders should be made out to Extrude Hone Corporation.

Shipping info:
Clean all grease, oil, gasket material and sealant from the part. Remove all studs and bolts from the part â?? all bolt holes should be clear. Extrude Hone will not be responsible for broken bolts or studs. Include your name, street address and daytime telephone number. (I recommend etching some sort of ID on your UIM) Note: UPS will not deliver to a P.O. Box. Also include a packing slip indicating exactly what you have shipped and if gasket matching is to be done, indicate what gasket you will be using. Wrap the part in plastic and pack into a well padded box.

If shipping via USPS send package to;

1 Industry Boulevard
P.O. Box 1000
Irwin, PA 15642
1-800-613-1065
FAX 724-863-8759

If shipping via UPS or FedEx send package to

1 Industry Boulevard
Irwin, PA 15642
1-800-613-1065
FAX 724-863-8759

Let's get a list of confirmed buyers:
Derk2000
Posted By: wavrdr_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 01:42 AM
Sounds good...I guess I'm #1.

Even if you etch initials/serial # on your intake manifold, who's to say that you're going to get it back....
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 01:46 AM
eh-hem...you're number 2.

Well, I guess I'm more concerned about getting a SVT manifold back instead of a SE manifold. While the flow numbers will be the same, I don't want a grey manifold in my engine bay.
Hence the etching.
I'll let EH know that we want our own manifolds back and expect that they respect our wishes.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 01:56 AM
Ok, how many passes and what CFM increase am I looking at. I need to check with Extrude hone down the street from me.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 02:06 AM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Ok, how many passes and what CFM increase am I looking at. I need to check with Extrude hone down the street from me.

Originally posted by Derk2000:
[Flow #s - coming soon

I am pretty sure there is no extrude hone in Michigan, maybe a shop is sending it out
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 04:07 AM
I can do it for $285. I think I'm going to get a non-SVT UIM and get that done instead. So I can still drive the car.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 04:07 AM
I should make this clear:
No matter what UIM you send Extrude Hone, we all get the same final flow numbers.
Not a shabby deal for you SE folks!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 04:11 AM
once I get a date, I'll give a yeah or nay.
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 04:59 AM
Sweet. Apparently the guy who coordinates group sales here on the left coast is on vacation , so this is perfect timing.... For $285 I'm in.
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 06:59 AM
Im still in.
Posted By: Andrew Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 07:37 AM
I'm in! Can't wait to see flow numbers. Wonder how they compare with Demon's Triple Honed UIM?

If they do actually manage to get the same flow from stock (non-svt) UIM's, I'll have a couple of SVT UIM's for sale!

Just had another thought: Will they also include the flow numbers for the non-svt, single, & double honed units for comparison? (Asking alot I know, but it would really help us cynical b@stards )
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 07:41 AM
In without a doubt.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 07:22 PM
I have a stock UIM if anyone wants it.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 07:45 PM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

[Flow #s - coming soon

I am pretty sure there is no extrude hone in Michigan, maybe a shop is sending it out

Oh Stevenson hwy in Madison Heights, can't miss up that logo...pics this afternoon.
Posted By: SVTCuervo Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 07:50 PM
When you post a time frame I'll be sure, but I"m in 99%.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 07:59 PM
100% in

I have a Cougar UIM being shipped my way and will be sending out my SVT UIM to EH for serviceing.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 10:20 PM
Pretty sure I'll be in

Scott
Posted By: johnny hennessy_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/28/04 11:16 PM
I will most likely be in, chris, you want to ship them at the same time to save $$$?
Posted By: Ginsu_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/29/04 12:53 AM
Give me a time frame and i'm Definitely in.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/29/04 08:12 PM
Who here could get their UIM off and out to EH in two weeks? If the Cougar people (a large portion of our group buy) could/would be willing to do this, that'd be sweet.
I'll have my Cougar organizer ask.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/29/04 11:02 PM
I could, my replacement should be here on Tuesday of next week.

So long as I get it back by June 25th I'd be happy. If not, I'd prefer to wait to send mine in around July 10th or so.

Then again I guess it really doesnt matter if I have a Cougar UIM on my car while I go camping for 10-days over July 4th. My car will be so packed I wouldnt miss the extra 8HP

Posted By: Andrew Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 02:54 AM
I have a couple of UIM's sitting here in my office waiting on the word go! (After flow numbers of course!)

Posted By: Ginsu_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 04:15 AM
My UIM has been off my car for a month, so give me the word.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 04:45 AM
I should make this clear:
No matter what UIM you send Extrude Hone, we all get the same final flow numbers.
Not a shabby deal for you SE folks!

Explain how you managed that???

That is completely against their normal policy and routine since one EH run is a specific timed event.
Multiple manifold thicknesses and matching flow rates would make a group buy like this a logistical nightmare for them.

If it is true then that is one hell of a deal and even DH SVT UIM's would almost not be worth buying because you can make any UIM into the best UIM for $300.

I am on the fence of I'll believe it when I see it because that goes against everything I learned from the Extrude Hone themselves. (You are dealing directly with them and not a second source right?)

BTW - my UIM is not just triple honed. It was taken to the limit of the UIM. You will not get that from this group buy I guarantee it.

Hence why it took so long for mine and part of the reason I had to deal directly with EH. I started by going through a second source and that was a HUGE MISTAKE!!! Everything (price, process, etc) they said was completely wrong. (old and ugly story Hindsight is 20/20 they say)
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 05:01 AM
Demon - if you read the old posts in the "interest check" I asked this specific question. Why they've decided to do it this way is beyond me, but like you and I have said, it's one hell of a deal for the non-SVT manifold people. Maybe it has to do with their "new process."

BTW, yes, this is directly through EH in Irwin, PA.

Kinda makes me want to buy a UIM and get it painted black... How hard would it be to transfer my SVT plackard to a new UIM?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 05:19 AM
Some tidbits of info from the other post:

98-98.5 = single Honed UIM
99-00 = dual Honed UIM

Some approx. CFU rates from Extrude Hone..
stock = 155 CFU
single= 170 CFU
double= 180 CFU
triple= 188-190 CFU

------------------------------------------------------------
Emailed questions and answers:

2) I want to make sure that if you start with an SE manifold, that it comes back at the estimated ~225cfm. You indicated the price will be the same, but will the results be the same no matter what manifold you start with?

And the answers
2) Yes all the 2.5 L intakes hopefully will flow 225 cfm. No matter which intake we start with.

2) What is the cfm goal you're shooting for again?
3) Will pricing be different if the manifold is non-honed (normal 2.5L V6), single honed (98 SVTs), dual honed (99-00 SVTs), etc?
4) With this new technique you spoke of, is the goal "maximum flow?" Maximum flow is what is wanted by the people interested in the group buy.

and got these answers:
2. We are going to try to reach 225 cfm. Hopefully
3. The cost will be the same for all intakes.
4. Yes the goal is maxium air flow.

Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 05:45 AM
I'm good to go whenever. Having it back before the end of June
would be great. Lets see some final #'s.
Posted By: SVTCuervo Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 05/30/04 08:11 PM
When can we expect a time frame and some flow numbers? I need to know when to get ready.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/01/04 12:19 AM
Count me in too.

Derek, Demon brings up a point I've been wondering about. How will SE UIMs be brought to the same flow rates as the SVT UIMs? I ask because I have an SE UIM that I'm cleaning so that I can send in my SVT one. But IF the flow rates would end up the same it would make a hell of a lot more sense for me to send the SE UIM into Extrude Hone and then sell the SVT one.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/01/04 12:24 AM
Originally posted by EvlBill:
...it would make a hell of a lot more sense for me to send the SE UIM into Extrude Hone and then sell the SVT one.

sssshhhhh! That's what I'm thinking about doing.

I'm going to call EH tomorrow for some flow numbers. I'll ask about their process and (if I can explain it to you) try to clear things up.

I'll finalize a date either this evening or tomorrow.
-Derek
Posted By: onosway Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/01/04 05:05 AM
I

M

N

Posted By: onosway Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/01/04 05:05 AM
I

M

N

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/01/04 12:10 PM
I'm in for sure. Just let me know when and where to pay.

Rick
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/01/04 10:21 PM
"(I recommend etching some sort of ID on your UIM)"

I was just thinking that maybe we should decide on a common place on the UIM to put an ID mark. A good spot I saw was on the edge facing the firewall. There is a 3/8 strip with no finish on it. Also what should we use as an ID? Just a name or should we use numbers?

"Also include a packing slip indicating exactly what you have shipped and if gasket matching is to be done, indicate what gasket you will be using."
( ya i dont know how to use the quote thing)

So will just the part numbers of the gaskets be good, or should I include a verbal description too. ie gaskets for 2000 LIM with 34mm and 35mm bores.

Just some thoughts to try to reduce confusion.

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/03/04 09:44 PM
Kapton - i think a universal spot to mark the UIM is a good idea.
If I were you, I'd include a gasket for them to match your UIM to. Of course, state why the gasket is there in the first place...
Posted By: Derk-xB Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/03/04 09:52 PM
Ok, the flow data is here:
"The intake we processed flowed app. 193 cfm"

If everyone is still in, I'd like to set a date. Could everyone get their UIM to Extrude Hone by June 18th? If so, EH said they could easily get all the manifolds done by July 16th (in time for Cougar Fest).

Discuss...
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/03/04 10:22 PM
Derk, any idea if they will offer this service for $285 a pop after this group buy is finished?

I'm in the process of a 3L conversion that I was forced to do (due to a dead 2.5L motor) and am on a tight budget. I don't want to spend the cash now, but it may be a smart move considering otherwise I'm going to be trying to run a 3L with a stock SE manifold
Posted By: DeanJoyce.com_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/03/04 10:53 PM
Ok, the flow data is here:
"The intake we processed flowed app. 193 cfm"

What is the flow rate for a stock NON-SVT uim?
What is the flow rate for a stock SVT uim?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/03/04 11:13 PM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw:
Derk, any idea if they will offer this service for $285 a pop after this group buy is finished?

My guess is no, unless there's another GB.

Dean - read the entire post, please. I've already posted that data.
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/04/04 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Awhile back I got some approx CFU rates from Extrude Hone..
stock = 155 CFU
single= 170 CFU
double= 180 CFU
triple= 188-190 CFU

We also know the SVT heads were flowed at 210-215 CFU (stock is about 195)..and t.body is reportedly over 300 CFU. So the point is that even on a 2.5L the UIM may be flow limiting factor along with LIM butterflies..

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/04/04 01:04 PM
193cfm, WOW! Almost 25% increase from a stock non-SVT manifold. Not shabby at all!!

Quote:

Awhile back I got some approx CFU rates from Extrude Hone..
stock = 155 CFU
single= 170 CFU
double= 180 CFU
triple= 188-190 CFU

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/04/04 01:07 PM
I'm good for those dates. Just need a ship to address and some instructions.

Rick
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/04/04 01:41 PM
Same here, I'm in!
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/04/04 04:34 PM
Rick - shipping/prep info at the top of the thread.

I'm going to be gone this weekend, so don't be surprised if I don't answer your questions.
Posted By: Massiv Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/04/04 06:10 PM
Derek -- Good stuff. Thanks for your organizational efforts on the CEG side. It's appreciated, bro!

Anyway, just wanted to add some info for everyone.

My interest check on NECO returned 23 interested people. At this point, price is probably set, but might be worth asking Extrude Hone "Hey.. if we bring another 20 people, can you drop it by 20 bux?"

The other, and more important thing I wanted to say was regarding shipping.

Everyone should ensure that when they pack their UIM, that they pack it upside down, with the rigid brass PCV breather tube pointing up. You should also put some semi-rigid foam blocks or material around that tube so that it doesn't take any weight and get bent or kinked in shipping by the weight of the UIM as the package is tossed around. Mine bent a bit when my UIM was shipped to me, and it cracked when I needed to bend it back into place. A very annoying repair job ensued after the "Both Banks Too Lean" vacuum leak...

Also, I recommended to the NECOers that they use that same unfinished strip on the back of the UIM, and put their name and phone number as the unique ID. Good idea to put that same info on your packing slip.

Massiv.

Posted By: Ginsu_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/05/04 01:31 AM
Couple of ?'s. Assuming here we have to call EH to make the payment should we mention your name and the groupbuy and are paying for shipping both ways or one? Thanx in advance for a kick a$$ job!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/06/04 12:24 AM
Btw, if anyone needs an extra non svt uim for the extrude hone group buy, PM me! Mine is just collecting dust. Ill let it go REALLY cheap compared to what an svt dual honed intake costs.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/06/04 01:09 AM
Hrm, not quite the numbers I was hoping for. How does the $285 compare to a normal one pass from Extrude Hone? I ask because for those with regular SE UIMs this sounds like a great deal but for those of us with the dual-honed UIMs I'm not so sure.
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/06/04 01:52 AM
Hrm, not quite the numbers I was hoping for. How does the $285 compare to a normal one pass from Extrude Hone? I ask because for those with regular SE UIMs this sounds like a great deal but for those of us with the dual-honed UIMs I'm not so sure.

One pass, non-group buy is ~$400.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/06/04 02:57 AM
I'm in if I can figure out a way to get this past my wife...
Posted By: yamahaSHO Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/06/04 05:23 AM
Not a bad deal guys! I am setting up my second EH buy for the SHO intake. $297... Regularly $550.

How many do you have so far?
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/06/04 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Ginsu:
are paying for shipping both ways or one?

Good question. Is the return shipping included in the $285.

The dates sound good to me. Lets go people
Posted By: Massiv Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/06/04 03:46 PM
FYI, Return shipping is NOT included in the $285.

Thanks!

Massiv.
Posted By: lowbudgetracing Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/07/04 03:19 AM
can i send a 99 taurus duratech manifold
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Extrude Hone Flow Data - 06/07/04 04:15 AM
Can I send my shifter linkage?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/08/04 08:39 PM
sounds like a great deal but for those of us with the dual-honed UIMs I'm not so sure.

I'd say it's a great deal for the non-honed, and a deal for the rest of us.
Not quite the numbers I'd hoped for either. Apparently, that's about as much as this manifold will flow.

Originally posted by Ginsu:
Assuming here we have to call EH to make the payment should we mention your name and the groupbuy

Yup. That's what I'd do.

Originally posted by lowbudgetracing:
can i send a 99 taurus duratec manifold

Sure, but not as a part of this group buy. Sorry, 2.5L manifolds only.

rkneeshaw - LOL!

Massiv - thanks for filling in and answering questions. I didn't realize the cost didn't include shipping back to us.

Credit card payers - Include your phone number and contact info with your manifold. Once the process is done, EH will contact you for your CC info and finalize the price + shipping.
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/08/04 09:03 PM
Was the intake they flow tested a DH SVT or SE? The 193 CFU number they gave is VERY close to the 190ish they qouted for a single additional pass to a DH. If they got that with an SE starting point then that's great, a BIG increase. If it was an SVT then I would SERIOUSLY question that an SE manifold will make the same flow with the same procedure.. (ie: I would not see how the SAME procedure would be like a single pass on one type and a triple on another??)

I think its just an aluminum piece...no "hard limit" beyond puting holes internally or externally in the thing. And if that was an SE they started with, with less metal present in the SVT, are they making runner holes/connections internally that cannot be seen? How would they know? This would be real bad..

I'm kind of interested but its not clear how this works? It would make more sense if they were doing different procedures on the SE vs SVT parts..but why would they charge the same?
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 02:36 AM
So I guess the date it set that the UIM's have to arrive at EH by the 18th? I thought you guys were just cheking the dates and then I saw over on NECO that people have already sent their UIM's out
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 02:49 AM
Originally posted by timeless420:
So I guess the date it set that the UIM's have to arrive at EH by the 18th? I thought you guys were just cheking the dates and then I saw over on NECO that people have already sent their UIM's out

The dates are final?
So I should ship it now? with my info and EH will call me to charge my CC the $285 + return shiping?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 04:57 AM
Yeah, those dates are a "go."
Ship away.

Please carefully read the info posted at the top of this thread as to how and where to ship the UIM. Include your contact info on the UIM (there's a good location mentioned in this thread) and EH will contact you for billing.

Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 05:10 AM
Ship away.

Please carefully read the info posted at the top of this thread as to how and where to ship the UIM. Include your contact info on the UIM (there's a good location mentioned in this thread) and EH will contact you for billing.

Crap, if that's the case I think I'm out. I may have a track day On the 16th at Mosport that I will not pass up. I should know by tomorrow but again I wouldn't be able to have the UIM off until Sunday if I can find a spare to use in the mean time.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 05:11 AM
Hrm, not quite the numbers I was hoping for.

It has been pointed out to me that while ~13 cfm isn't much of a rate increase for us dual honed folks, we're still getting more volume out of the UIM. This is a good thing.
Posted By: svtjeff Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 12:24 PM
Need some clarification. I keep seeing people refer to their dual honed UIM. It is my understanding all SVT UIM were single honed and flow in the 170 cfm region - the spec never changed for the entire run of the car. Where are people getting the idea there are dual honed factory supplied UIM's?
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 01:00 PM
Some tidbits of info from the other post:

98-98.5 = single Honed UIM
99-00 = dual Honed UIM

Posted By: zgendron_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 01:03 PM
Originally posted by svtjeff:
Need some clarification. I keep seeing people refer to their dual honed UIM. It is my understanding all SVT UIM were single honed and flow in the 170 cfm region - the spec never changed for the entire run of the car. Where are people getting the idea there are dual honed factory supplied UIM's?

The DH UIMs were present in most 99s and 2000s. That is a big part of the reason for the 5HP jump from 98 (195) to 2000 (200).
Posted By: svtjeff Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 01:34 PM
Disagree. The HP jump was from EHing the Heads - primary and secondary ports......hence the dual hone terminology
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 01:38 PM
the SVT heads are all the same to my knowledge.

let's keep this thread related to this group buy and ask questions elsewhere (duratec performance). It's long enough already.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 03:08 PM
Is there an answer to Dan Nixon's post? I'm still interested in this but I'm hesitant to spend the money to get the SE manifold done if it might not flow the same? So I really need to know ASAP if I need to get my SVT UIM off and clean it to send in.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 03:25 PM
Hrm, not quite the numbers I was hoping for.

It has been pointed out to me that while ~13 cfm isn't much of a rate increase for us dual honed folks, we're still getting more volume out of the UIM. This is a good thing.

I was very interested when the numbers were predicted to be 200+ CFM but at a maximum 193 CFM (13 CFM over stock DH SVT) does not sound like very much in the HP department. How much HP can one expect from only a 7.2% increase in UIM flow on a typicaly modded 2000 SVT...1-2HP, 5-10HP ?
Just not sure if it is really worth the hassle or the money. Maybe DemonSVT or one of the other experts can answer this quickly since we are running out of time.

Thanks,
Scott

Posted By: lowbudgetracing Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 03:28 PM

can i send a 99 taurus duratec manifold

Sure, but not as a part of this group buy. Sorry, 2.5L manifolds only.

i talked to rick miller at EH and he said i could send a taurus intake as part of this group buy and it would not be a problem.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 03:42 PM
lowbudget - really? I'm very surprised. Well, you got the info straight from the horse's mouth, so there you go. He knows it's a completely different manifold, right?

Bill & Dan - I'll make a call and express your concerns. I'll get back with you soon.

Scott & others interested - It was DemonSVT that I talked with about 13cfm. It's pretty well agreed upon that 7.2% isn't much more rate for us dual honed folks. But, if you've got the flow to back it up, you should see 5-7 whp with this mod. If you've got a stock SE engine, don't expect to see a whole lot from this mod alone. Again, you've gotta have the flow to get the most from the mod.

That said, it's not bad bang for the buck. 7hp from a 600+ exhaust system isn't unheard of around these parts. If you're planning future mods (3L, turbo, more N/A power) this is probably a good idea.
Posted By: lowbudgetracing Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 03:44 PM
yep
Posted By: Massiv Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 04:38 PM
Is there an answer to Dan Nixon's post? I'm still interested in this but I'm hesitant to spend the money to get the SE manifold done if it might not flow the same? So I really need to know ASAP if I need to get my SVT UIM off and clean it to send in.

We can wait for another definitive answer from Extrude Hone, and I will defer to Derek's direct conversations with Extrude Hone, but this fact: that both an SE manifold and a Triple Honed, gee-whiz-bang manifold will end up flowing the same has been triple-confirmed at this point (if you read the whole thread).

Hence, my SVT upper is already sold, and my SE manifold is en route.

Massiv.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 08:56 PM
Well, no reply today. But Massiv is right, I've asked 3 times about this particular situation. If I keep asking, they're going to start thinking I've got Alzheimer's or something.

If you send an SE manifold and the sh|t hits the fan, I'll eat my shoe (just not one of my running shoes, ok?)
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 09:04 PM
Derk!

I'm sending a 99 Cougar UIM, will then sell my DH SVT UIM to the highest bidder!

Do you think for only 13cfm we will need to resize the gasket?

I better damn well see 193cfm or your gonna be eating some shoes!

Will work on removing the vacumn lines and have this shipped out on Monday.

Now I just need to figure out how to polish this beauty up!
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 10:07 PM
Sorry I kept asking that but there was never an actual "how will it be done" kind of answer given. So I'll shut up and stop asking. Fmr12B brings up a question I've just been wondering about, will the normal 2.5 gasket work? If all goes well, I'll be able to send mine out Monday.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 10:18 PM
I know a normal UIM gasket will not work, but I assume the SVT DH UIM gasket will work as its only 13cfm.

Since this is guranteed, is EH going to send a certificate back with this part flow benched or whatever so we know were pushing 193cfm?

As everyone else has brought up, how we gonna know that 193cfm on a standard UIM is doable.

Was the prototype a non-SVT UIM?
Posted By: Contour98SVT Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 10:53 PM
what kind of power gains can you expect form this? I have a early '98 SVT?
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Contour98SVT:

Exactly 6 posts up

Originally posted by DERK:
Scott & others interested - It was DemonSVT that I talked with about 13cfm. It's pretty well agreed upon that 7.2% isn't much more rate for us dual honed folks. But, if you've got the flow to back it up, you should see 5-7 whp with this mod. If you've got a stock SE engine, don't expect to see a whole lot from this mod alone. Again, you've gotta have the flow to get the most from the mod.

That said, it's not bad bang for the buck. 7hp from a 600+ exhaust system isn't unheard of around these parts. If you're planning future mods (3L, turbo, more N/A power) this is probably a good idea.

Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/09/04 11:33 PM
Well, for me, the SVT DH UIM gasket IS normal.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/10/04 12:17 AM

With a '98 SVT I'd say you can stand to gain a few more ponies over that estimated 5-7. You should also read this post.

Originally posted by Fmr12B:
1) I know a normal UIM gasket will not work, but I assume the SVT DH UIM gasket will work as its only 13cfm.
2) Since this is guranteed, is EH going to send a certificate back with this part flow benched or whatever so we know were pushing 193cfm?

3) As everyone else has brought up, how we gonna know that 193cfm on a standard UIM is doable.

4) Was the prototype a non-SVT UIM?

1) Get a Felpro gasket (check the 3L FAQ for a p/n). It should work just fine.
2) Don't know.
3) Are you asking if a standard non-honed UIM will allow for this honing process (i.e. enough excess material)?
4) No. SVT UIM. Don't know what year.
Posted By: Contour98SVT Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/10/04 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Fmr12B:

Exactly 6 posts up

Originally posted by DERK:

Hey, Thanks alot.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/10/04 03:18 PM
FYI, I'm in. I bought the SE UIM that Todd R. had and he's shipping it today to EH for me.

Derek, I've got the 34/35mm 2000 LIM on the SVT, should I:
1) Ask Rick to port to that dimension?
2) Send a gasket set?
3) Pull my UIM and do a proper template?

Regards, Alan Coles
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/11/04 01:34 AM
If I were you, I'd include a gasket for them to match your UIM to. Of course, state why the gasket is there in the first place...

I'm using a 34mm/35mm LIM too, I'm going to send the gaskets with my UIM. Also be sure to read the info at the begining of the therad.
Posted By: yamahaSHO Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/11/04 02:55 AM

i talked to rick miller at EH and he said i could send a taurus intake as part of this group buy and it would not be a problem.

That is because there is an SHO group buy going on at the moment too. Anyone with an SHO, price is $297 + shipping.
Posted By: lowbudgetracing Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/11/04 03:18 AM
Originally posted by yamahaSHO:

That is because there is an SHO group buy going on at the moment too. Anyone with an SHO, price is $297 + shipping.

i told him it was a duratech and not a sho
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/13/04 08:36 PM
Pulled my UIM today. Has everybody sent theres out already?
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/14/04 05:10 PM
Pete and I noticed some interesting things yesterday when cleaning the SVT UIM and putting the SE one on my car.

1. The routing from the EGR into the UIM (the groove where the TB bolts on) is different. The SVT is on the top side of the UIM, while the SE comes out the bottom.
2. The opening from the TB is much smaller. Looking through it, we could actually see the edges of the hole going into the UIM. Will the Extrude Hone process widen that too? It seemed like that would be a restriction for anyone running the SVT TB.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/14/04 05:36 PM
Will the Extrude Hone process widen that too?

I don't know, Bill. If not, it certainly will be a restriction and should be hand-ported. But you're right, the SVT manifold is opened up for the 60mm TB.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/14/04 05:42 PM
Pete and I noticed some interesting things yesterday when cleaning the SVT UIM and putting the SE one on my car.

1. The routing from the EGR into the UIM (the groove where the TB bolts on) is different. The SVT is on the top side of the UIM, while the SE comes out the bottom.
2. The opening from the TB is much smaller. Looking through it, we could actually see the edges of the hole going into the UIM. Will the Extrude Hone process widen that too? It seemed like that would be a restriction for anyone running the SVT TB.

If anyone has an answer to this I'd appreciate a quick response, as my SE UIM is already at Extrude Hone (arrived this morning) and my intention was to put it on my SVT which has the 2000 34/35mm LIM and Brad's "optimized" SVT TB plus other mods. Rick @ EH has said it's no problem for them to expand the throttle ports to match my 34/35mm LIM, but now I'm concerned about the TB opening size and EGR routing. Any knowledgeable fedd-back would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Alan
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/14/04 05:55 PM
Ship away.

I want in on this, but 10 day window (since we just confirmed the dates on the 8th or 9th) is just a couple days too short. I have to pick up a UIM so I can keep my car on the road. Any chance we can extend this GB a couple of days so I can ship my UIM later this week??
Posted By: Derk-xB Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 06:42 PM
I talked with Rick and he said stragglers are welcome. So, if you can't make the 18th, he said he'll accept UIMs for this group buy through the 1st week of July.

If I haven't answered all your questions, Rick said feel free to email him. He's good about answering emails, it just takes a day or two, so be patient.
rick.miller@extrudehone.com
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 07:25 PM
Hmmm...anybody still have a cheap SE UIM...buy or even just to borrow (I would send my SVT UIM to E.Hone and could return the non SVT to the lender)? Such a good deal to pass up..
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 07:52 PM
WOW!! All I needed was a couple of extra days, now I can really clean the thing up right before I send it.

By the way, thanks a MILLION for being the go-between for this GB. Thus far everything seems to have been handled quite well & you are most responsive to, & considerate of, your fellow CEGers.

Props.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 07:54 PM
If I find an extra, I'll nab it & send it up there with your name & number on it - with your prior confirmation, of course.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 08:00 PM
Hmmm...anybody still have a cheap SE UIM...buy or even just to borrow (I would send my SVT UIM to E.Hone and could return the non SVT to the lender)? Such a good deal to pass up..

Dan Check EBAY as well at car-part.com. I got mine for $50 shipped. I'll be selling off my SVT UIM to recoup my cost of the EH Group Buy.
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 09:15 PM
Thanks guys & thanks Derek!

BTW, are most of you SVT guys planning to Extrude Hone the SE manifold? You do know the throttle body opening is smaller and the casting may be different with the non SVT part? I assume you could hand port the opening though...

I guess I am still a bit skeptical of exactly how the (smaller diameter) non SVT part will "catch up" to the SVT UIM in terms runner diameter with the same Hone treatment.. But, it would be nice to be able to sell the stock SVT part. Tough call..
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 10:40 PM
Mailed mine today. I was gona rush ship it but post office said regular shiping would only take a week. So I guess I'm a Straggler. lol

Ya thanks for setting this up the timing couldent have been better.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 11:21 PM
Dan,
After seeing the SE UIM and SVT UIM side-by-side, there was no question (in my mind) that sending the SVT one was the way to go.

The TB opening is much smaller and the smaller ports are considerably smaller. Anyone without the ability or mechanical inclination would have a tough time port matching.

The design of the SE vs SVT is slightly different, too. So I don't know how (if at all) it would affect peformance.
Posted By: KaptonContour Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/14/04 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
Dan,
After seeing the SE UIM and SVT UIM side-by-side, there was no question (in my mind) that sending the SVT one was the way to go.

The TB opening is much smaller and the smaller ports are considerably smaller. Anyone without the ability or mechanical inclination would have a tough time port matching.

The design of the SE vs SVT is slightly different, too. So I don't know how (if at all) it would affect peformance.

Indeed, I didn't even think about trying to get an SE to hone so I could sell my SVT UIM. Just sounds to good to be true so I'l stick with my SVT parts.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/15/04 12:44 AM
I'm going to be able to slide in by the final deadline. Now....do I have to skim it in by the first....or before the end of the business week??
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/15/04 03:48 AM
Rick made it sound like he was pretty darn flexible with dates.
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/15/04 08:04 PM
I just picked up an UIM for $24 (including shipping!) off ebay...so looks like I am in if early July is OK.

Think I will email Rick to clarify exactly HOW a non-honed, small port UIM will come out same as an SVT UIM..if he tells me they are going to Hone the non SVT part more aggressively then that would probably motivate me to send the non SVT part for Honing. If NOT, then the SVT part goes..
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/15/04 09:02 PM
I just picked up an UIM for $24 (including shipping!) off ebay...so looks like I am in if early July is OK.

Think I will email Rick to clarify exactly HOW a non-honed, small port UIM will come out same as an SVT UIM..if he tells me they are going to Hone the non SVT part more aggressively then that would probably motivate me to send the non SVT part for Honing. If NOT, then the SVT part goes..

Get back to me on this Dan. I too am questioning the validity of this GB as the Duratec Performance forum has vague flow numbers for SVT UIM's.

People say the UIM SE ports wont match the SVT's including the TB opening. All very interesting and I'm still lost on how $320 is getting me 13cfm or 23cfm?
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/15/04 10:29 PM

See my post in Duratec Performance "00SVT vs. SE pic's". I spoke to Rick at EH a good bit Monday about the whole process. He had not done a SE UIM yet so he couldn't say too much but sugested that I compair the two before I make a decission to send a SE instead of the SVT UIM...I sent the SVT UIM

Scott
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/16/04 01:16 AM
I do want to get in on the action but can't justify it at this point. I do however have an extra se UIM lying around. If someone needs to borrow/buy it let me know.
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/16/04 06:05 PM
No response but Scott got pretty much all the answers..posted in the EH post in "Performance".

Since they would run the SE manifold longer, it would presumably flow the same as if an SVT were used to start.

Looks like a potential problem with the t.body opening..on the SE UIM, it may expand into the EGR opening with the Honing OR be too small for the SVT t.body (a must for all with this mod)..Unless we know FOR SURE that the SVT t.body will work with the SE manifold I would not send it.

So, anybody modified an SE manifold to fit SVT t.body?

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/17/04 12:12 PM
I've got an SVT TB housing. I could bolt it on tonight & take a picture to show the overlap at the manifold. That should show us how much material would be taken from the manifold if an SVT cover plate is used to perform the EH.

I'm curious to see if the EGR passages are exposed with the SVT TB in place on an SE UIM. I don't think I'd like that. If the difference in the actual TB openings is small, I don't think there'll be a problem. You guys know the measurements. Take 1/2 of the difference and compare it to the thickness of the material adjacent the passages.
Posted By: DeanJoyce.com_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/18/04 02:38 PM
sending mine in today. i wrote my return info in permanent marker all over the top of the manifold because im polishing it afterwards anyway. cant wait to feel the difference over my stock myst manifold.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/19/04 06:21 PM
Guys be sure to check out the Jet-Hot GB interest check SVT ST Pete and I are setting up...UIM's can be Jet-Hot coated for $77 plus shipping if the GB happens. With 12 or more we get a 30% discount off the regular cost of $110. I think Extrude Hone will send you UIM directly to Jet-Hot if you like according to Rick at Extrude Hone. This may save a few bucks off you shipping?

See GB for more details...

Scott
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/23/04 05:36 PM
If anyone wants an SE UIM that's already been through the EH Group Buy, I've got one for sale in the classifieds at:
http://www.contour.org/classifieds/classifieds.php?t=1&c=6
It's waiting at EH now to be shipped to you or directly to the Jet Hot Group Buy if you want something super-hot. See add for details.
Regards, Alan Coles
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/23/04 06:07 PM
Alan..
I am still debating which UIM (SE or SVT) to send. I see you have decided to send an SVT after the SE was finished. Why? Do you have any data from Rick (flow #, size of t.body opening, size of runner openings afer the process)?

I have looked at the SE t.body opening and it looks like it could open up to 60-62mm to match with an SVT t.body and not impact the EGR. Note, it will still be smaller than stock SVT t.body opening as that is about 65-67mm. However, unless you are planning to use a 65mm 4.6L t.body, the SE "should" be OK for the SVT t.body??
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/23/04 09:07 PM
I think if you have not sent your UIM by now, it is too late. Wasn't the deadline Friday, 18 June?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/23/04 11:32 PM
I talked with Rick and he said stragglers are welcome. So, if you can't make the 18th, he said he'll accept UIMs for this group buy through the 1st week of July.

rick.miller@extrudehone.com

Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/24/04 02:13 AM
Alan..
I am still debating which UIM (SE or SVT) to send. I see you have decided to send an SVT after the SE was finished. Why? Do you have any data from Rick (flow #, size of t.body opening, size of runner openings afer the process)?

I have looked at the SE t.body opening and it looks like it could open up to 60-62mm to match with an SVT t.body and not impact the EGR. Note, it will still be smaller than stock SVT t.body opening as that is about 65-67mm. However, unless you are planning to use a 65mm 4.6L t.body, the SE "should" be OK for the SVT t.body??

Hi Dan. I think the EH'd SE UIM should work fine with modded SE's or a relatively stock SVT's but mine is a well modified SVT and more importantly - I've already enlarged the LIM (2000 34/35mm) and TB openings over the stock SVT dimensions and port matched my SVT UIM to those pieces. I don't want to go through that expense twice
I don't have any hard fiqures, but I ran an SVT TB on my Mystique and it was very strong on the track and worked fine on the street. During my conversations with Rick, when I explained the work that had already been done to the SVT he felt that while the SE openings have been enlarged, it made sense to EH my SVT UIM, as it is already port matched to everything else I have and the SE won't be. If I don't, I'll have to have the SE port matched to my other modified pieces and then try to sell my SVT UIM which has larger openings than would be any use to most people and wouldn't likely be a "perfect" match to anyone else's setup.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone UIM Group Buy - 06/24/04 02:42 AM
I wound up buying a SVT UIM to send to EH (and Jet-Hot ). I've done some port-matching on my UIM, and although it took a looong time to do, I'm willing to do it again if the EH process doesn't open the ports up to a reasonable degree.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/25/04 12:31 PM
Sent mine in today.

Rick
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/25/04 02:53 PM
Rick, I bet your butt dyno will be very pleased.
Do we get to see a re-dyno soon?

I wonder how many UIMs EH is going to receive? This has been a good GB.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/25/04 03:31 PM
There will be a re-dyno, but this isn't the only mod. Try adding bigger TB, bigger aftercooler, bigger intake tract, bigger MAF, and a little more optimizing. Just need to find some time. Anyone seen any laying around?

Rick
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/25/04 05:19 PM
Nice...
I seemed to have misplaced two hours this morning so I haven't seen any extra laying around.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/25/04 08:27 PM
Nice...
I seemed to have misplaced two hours this morning so I haven't seen any extra laying around.

Every time I earn some extra, the wife takes it...
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/25/04 08:28 PM
Nice...

Whenever I find some extra time, my wife uses it up...
Posted By: TMoose02 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/26/04 04:21 AM
I was able to see one of the finished uim's today. You can deffinatly see an improvement over the dual honed manifolds. Whatever compound putty they used is alot smoother.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/26/04 07:26 PM
Are people getting their UIMs back already?
Posted By: TMoose02 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/28/04 02:31 AM
No it is Dan D. from lansing I guess he knows rick and he used a manifold that Dan had to get the compound right or something. He just got it back on wednsday thats all I know. But it was for this group buy. We compared it to a cut away manifold that he had where extrude honed pushed it to max flow and these are smoother.
Posted By: Alan Coles_dup1 Re: Stragglers welcome - 06/28/04 02:27 PM
Are people getting their UIMs back already?

They should be Derek. My SE UIM was finished on the 20th and Rick called me for shipping instructions. I've sold it to Ronan O'Mahoney in Ireland, for his Mondeo, and Rick shipped it out last week to Jet Hot for that GB.

Regards, Alan
Posted By: Derk-xB Goin' smooth - 06/28/04 03:02 PM
Right on, Alan. Thanks for the info. Mine just got there, btw.

I'm glad Ronan got in on the GB, too. He's gonna have one bad#ss Mondeo.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Goin' smooth - 06/29/04 02:23 AM
I got big problems---I won't go into it here but if you guys could check out my post in Troubleshooting, maybe someone can help me out. Thanks.

PS: I just got an SE UIM to use in the meantime---meantime could now be forever.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Goin' smooth - 06/29/04 02:41 PM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
I got big problems---I won't go into it here but if you guys could check out my post in Troubleshooting, maybe someone can help me out. Thanks.

PS: I just got an SE UIM to use in the meantime---meantime could now be forever.

OK, I'm back in the mix. Turns out, I don't have a blown motor, just bad gas. I got it from a Mobil station on Ohio 280 south, just before gate 5 for the Ohio TP. I've since found that they a have a reputation for very watered gas. I'll have my UIM switched tomorrow and sent by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be calling for a customer number today.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Goin' smooth - 06/29/04 04:09 PM

OK, I'm back in the mix. Turns out, I don't have a blown motor, just bad gas. I got it from a Mobil station on Ohio 280 south, just before gate 5 for the Ohio TP. I've since found that they a have a reputation for very watered gas. I'll have my UIM switched tomorrow and sent by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be calling for a customer number today.

PS. Customer number is for the Jet-Hot GB, not this one. Sorry if I mixed anyone up.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Goin' smooth - 06/30/04 02:52 PM
After going through this thread at work and having numerous interuptions (my modem's acting up at home), I find myself in (almost) total confusion about the gasket issue. I'm sending a 2000 SVT UIM. Do I need to send/tell EH the replacement gasket for reinstallation? I'm seeing something about a 34 or 35mm gasket and then another size too. What should I do? Sorry if this is a dumb question to the guys who understand these, but I don't. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Airforce Re: Goin' smooth - 06/30/04 05:11 PM
Can I get in on this group buy even though I have a Mitsubishi Galant 3.0????
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Goin' smooth - 06/30/04 11:09 PM
wa2tuff - you have a pm
Airforce - shoot Rick at Extrude Hone an email rick.miller@**removemefirst**extrudehone.com and ask. Who knows?
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Goin' smooth - 07/01/04 03:07 PM
Just received a call from Rick @ Extrude Hone...the 3 SVT UIM's I sent in (SVT ST Pete, EvlBill, and mine) are ready and shipping out today

FYI...
Rick plans on posting some before and after flow numbers on the SVT and SE UIM's sometime next week. Here is some of the information he told me over the phone (don't hold me to this but I think I have it pretty close). He did tell me the NEW flow numbers will include the UIM and LIM together not just the UIM. The equipment he used initially was on loan and is no longer available. The equipment he is now using flows them both together. Before the Extrude Hone process the difference in flow for the SVT vs. SE showed that the two were not that far apart, about 10 CFM...SVT 260 CFM range vs. SE 250 CFM range (UIM/LIM combined flow numbers). After Extrude Hone numbers should be around 290 CFM according to Rick. As I mentioned earlier he will have all the details sometime next week. Not to shabby though @ +30-40 CFM and right on target (SE 16%, SVT 11.5% increase). Rick also verified the fact that port matching WILL most definitely improve these numbers a little more as well and would be well worth the effort

Also Extrude Hone sends quite a bit to Jet-Hot and Rick's comment was "it's good stuff and should help out in cooling the intake"

Scott
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Goin' smooth - 07/06/04 02:31 PM
I just sent mine in today. I called my dealer to see what the UIM goes for so I'd know how much to insure it for. Guess what, boys and girls, $816.00!! I could get it for less through my son's account (around $646) which is still a ton of cash. I couldn't believe it, I checked twice with 2 different people, same cost. So, make sure you insure your UIM, it'll cost you a body part to replace it.
Posted By: Massiv Re: Goin' smooth - 07/06/04 02:42 PM
Hey - good idea to get insurance!!

I sent in an SE manifold, and I got someone's late-model black SVT manifold back!! Dunno what happened to my crappy gouged up old one, but I'm keeping this one!

Massiv.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Goin' smooth - 07/06/04 02:46 PM
Insured mine for $1K when I sent it in and asked they do the same when sending back.

Rick
Posted By: morbid Re: Goin' smooth - 07/06/04 08:31 PM
FYI: I just called Rick to see if I'm still able to participate in this GB. He said because of all the interest... and interest from Ford Racing (??), they've extended this GB another couple weeks!! Shipping mine tomorrow.
Posted By: morbid Re: Goin' smooth - 07/06/04 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Massiv:

I sent in an SE manifold, and I got someone's late-model black SVT manifold back!! Dunno what happened to my crappy gouged up old one, but I'm keeping this one!

Massiv.

hey Massiv... did you etch your manifold... and did you receive an etched one?
Posted By: Andrew Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 12:29 AM

Massiv.

So if anyone is missing an SVT manifold at the end of this GB, you know where to find it!

(Karma's a [censored], ain't it?!)
Posted By: Swazo Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 12:49 AM

Massiv.

Damn, I'd be knocking at your door if that was my polished UIM. You aren't going to try to get it back to the correct owner?
Posted By: Massiv Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 07:17 AM
Haha... Ok, I'm just kidding! I know how protective CEGers are of their SVT UIM's! I have one actually, but sold it, and sent my Cougar manifold in for this GB while I'm in the middle of my 3L build!

Actually... my manifold is somewhere in transit, or finally at Jet Hot. Can't wait to get that thing back!

Massiv.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 06:08 PM
Originally posted by morbid:
FYI: I just called Rick to see if I'm still able to participate in this GB. He said because of all the interest... and interest from Ford Racing (??), they've extended this GB another couple weeks!! Shipping mine tomorrow.

Hoooraaayyy!!! Still hope for me!!

Even after all the discussion, I'm still struggling to justify the expense ... will the extra flow really make any noticable difference in a car with a few standard bolt ons? I know heavily modded cars or you guys with FI will benefit nicely, but me?
Posted By: Massiv Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 06:21 PM
Let me answer your question in two contexts.

If this will be the last mod for your car, or you don't plan any extensive modifications, then I believe that this will still provide a noticeable improvement for you. The UIM is one of the greater restrictions in the intake path (probably the greatest, short of the stock air box), so upgrading it in this fashion makes sense, mon ami.

Now, if you are planning on doing other future modifictions, like ever getting headers, and an SVT TB, then I would absolutely JUMP on this. You don't want to be stuck with a crappy lo-flo intake as the major restriction to power in your otherwise hi-flowing system. Thus, if you're upgrading the air-path in the future (and be honest with yourself about whether you will do this or not), it makes total sense to do the UIM now. Especially from a cost vs. opportunity perspective.

Massiv.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 10:25 PM
Haha... Ok, I'm just kidding! I know how protective CEGers are of their SVT UIM's! I have one actually, but sold it, and sent my Cougar manifold in for this GB while I'm in the middle of my 3L build!

Actually... my manifold is somewhere in transit, or finally at Jet Hot. Can't wait to get that thing back!

Massiv.

I'm very possesive of my UIM

Has anyone messured the final port size once you've gotten them back?
I've asked that they max it out to the limits that Demon was so nice to determine a few years ago. I'm just wondering if it truely will come back max'd out
Posted By: morbid Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 10:53 PM
Just removed and shipped mine today. I was unaware of how uneven the ports were. The port openings were all jagged and gouged... and i'm hoping the extrude + gasket matching will remedy that
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Goin' smooth - 07/07/04 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
Has anyone messured the final port size once you've gotten them back?
I've asked that they max it out to the limits that Demon was so nice to determine a few years ago. I'm just wondering if it truely will come back max'd out

I shipped 3 SVT UIM's (1 '98 and 2 '00). I measured all ports on all 3 when they came back. I have some numbers from before on mine and Pete's to compare too. I do not have the numbers with me but will post all 3 UIM numbers later tonight or tomorrow. I can tell you that the 2 '00 SVT UIM's were almost identical and the '98 SVT UIM seemed a little larger on all ports

Scott
Posted By: DanG Re: Goin' smooth - 07/08/04 01:27 AM
Pics of my ST200, returned today, FWIW...

Linky
Posted By: GTO Pete Extrude Hone measurements - 07/08/04 01:50 AM
=UIM Comparison 00 UIMs vs 98 UIM=

scottd60's 00 - EvlBill's 00 - Pete's 98
1) 30.93mm - 30.88mm - 31.30mm +.37 than next closest
2) 32.74mm - 32.66mm - 33.10mm +.36
3) 30.93mm - 30.88mm - 31.19mm +.26
4) 32.76mm - 32.68mm - 32.96mm +.20
5) 30.98mm - 30.93mm - 31.19mm +.21
6) 32.66mm - 32.66mm - 32.91mm +.25
7) 32.79mm - 32.71mm - 32.94mm +.15
8) 31.01mm - 30.93mm - 31.35mm +.34
9) 32.76mm - 32.71mm - 32.86mm +.05
10) 31.01mm - 30.91mm - 31.45mm +.44
11) 32.66mm - 32.63mm - 32.76mm +.13
12) 30.98mm - 30.98mm - 31.36mm +.38

As Scott stated, note how the 98 ports are all larger.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/08/04 03:36 AM
I also note how mine are consistently smaller than both yours and Scott's.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/08/04 04:10 AM
I asked for:

33mm Primary
34.3mm Secondary
67mm TB Inlet

....aka- the limit the split port UIM can be EH'd to.

I only hope that's what I get
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/08/04 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:
I asked for:

33mm Primary
34.3mm Secondary
67mm TB Inlet

....aka- the limit the split port UIM can be EH'd to.

I only hope that's what I get

Looks like they came back around 31mm/33mm, they may be a little more because the opening are not perfectly round. If you port match you will open them up a little more but not sure if you will get 33mm/34mm. Pete did say they were very close to the gasket openings though. Also the TB inlets did come back at >69mm very close to 70mm in all three UIM's we got back.

Scott
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/08/04 02:12 PM
Correction...checked my numbers and the TB openings were all 69mm, not 70mm.

Scott
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/13/04 06:58 PM
I've been moving , but here's a quick update from Rick:

Derek, I finished airflow on Friday. The SVT intake airflow avg. before
is 266.3 cfm. After Extrude hone processing the avg. airflow is 288.9.
The stock intake airflow avg. before is 251.7 after the airflow avg. is
285.3. We used a SVT lower intake for airflow

Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/13/04 09:30 PM
Very good...thanks Derek.

Going from non-SVT to SVT UIM is a gain of about 15 CFU/m (and worth about 5 HP). Going from SVT to "extra Hone" is a gain of about 22 CFU/m (even in the setting of the LIM restriction) so I would then "guess" this should worth about 7 HP (at least in the setting of the SVT honed intake ports /hotter cams). Not bad...

Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/14/04 05:15 PM
Were the butterflies in place on the SVT LIM?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/20/04 05:52 PM
Hot damn!! Chris justed called me. My UIM is going out today to Jet Hot. Things are moving right along--how refreshing!! Thanks to all involved. Too bad 1BADTOUR didn't go the same route.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Extrude Hone measurements - 07/27/04 05:22 AM
D'oh.......I had my package returned. I put it in the night drop off/self shipping deal the night before I left on business. It looks like I'll be paying full price.....I need to get this done reguardless
Posted By: Derk-xB Thanks - 08/09/04 11:37 PM
Well, I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but this group buy went rather well. For that, I'm very happy.

I'd like to thank Massiv for all his help here and on the Cougar site; SVT PETE, and scottd60 for their help aquiring info from EH and taking measurements; thanks to everyone who chipped in and chimed in with info, too.

I hope everyone winds up happy with this GB, too.

-Derek
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Thanks - 08/11/04 05:23 PM
FWIW, my ports came back as:
TB - 68mm
Primary - 32
Secondary - 34

Sure, I'm measuring with a ruler so the numbers are limited in their accuracy, but they're relatively consistent. I'd say at most there's a .5mm discrepency between the ports, but again, they're not 100% round. I'm not going to bother port matching, as I doubt my rounding capabilities are worth the effort.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Thanks - 08/11/04 06:17 PM
I hope everyone winds up happy with this GB, too.

-Derek

It could not have been done without you, & you were kinda pushed into it to boot. Many thanks to you for that!!

So, when's the next EH GB??
© CEG Archives