Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Manfre OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 02:11 AM
I just sent out an email to http://www.obd-2.com and http://www.obdii.com/ with a question about an OBD Group buy and the pricing on the Triple Combo. Basically thats an OBD-II reader for all car makes after 96.

If anyone has any questions about it post it here and Ill do my best to make sure I answer as soon as possible and hopefully provide an answer that makes some sense.

Now I just sent it out (literally 2 minutes ago) so I dont have any prices yet. But I know that not everyone on here has an OBD reader cause they tend to run pretty pricey. I reached out the the OBD-2 cause theyre cheaper and state on their site that they offer group buys. I reached out to the other one cause theyre expensive there and they have something for the Palm with would be nice for me and anyone else that wants to use their Palm instead of their laptop cause of the size and convenience or just if they dont have a laptop.

Once I get a reply Ill let everyone know what both said. I have a feeling that the OBD-2 site will have a better offer then the OBDII site. Thats the one Im putting more faith in. If anyone has any questions then drop me a PM. If anyone has any suggestions for me to help pull this off better then feel free to let me know. Constructive criticism is always good.

Ill let everyone know what the price-to-amount ordered is as soon as I find out more info. Right now I just wanna see how many people would be willing to go for it.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 03:16 AM
Our last GB from www.obd-2.com got down prices on the single make unit to $85.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 03:20 AM
I am definitly in. I was just going to purchase one from obd-2.com. Its sounds real good. I have heard of the autotap program, anyone here have experince with both. I like/need obd-2 virtual dash screen, that was one of the big reasons for wanting. I don't have time to read more about them but does both have command functions (for controlling solenoids and such), and is either compatible for obd-1. Thanks for setting up the buy
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 03:46 AM
Alex pepper's (obd-2) is not compatible with obd-1 and doesn't really have control functions, just see info and run tests. Works great, especially for the GB price.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Our last GB from www.obd-2.com got down prices on the single make unit to $85.

Thats it?! Thats a frickin awesome price! Hopefully they can do something similiar with the triple combo. Id prefer that so I can use it with my friends and everything like that. Plus if I get a GM or something I dont wanna be stuck with a connector thats only good for a Ford.

Originally posted by livinsvt:
I am definitly in. I was just going to purchase one from obd-2.com. Its sounds real good. I have heard of the autotap program, anyone here have experince with both. I like/need obd-2 virtual dash screen, that was one of the big reasons for wanting. I don't have time to read more about them but does both have command functions (for controlling solenoids and such), and is either compatible for obd-1. Thanks for setting up the buy

I was gonna do the same thing. But then I remembered in my searches on here that I heard mention of a group buy but didnt see anything up right now. I figure even if it gets knocked down like 10 bucks its 10 bucks saved.

From what Ive read so far on both the sites I think its pretty much the same thing as far as control goes. The one on OBDII has the option for having it on a Palm and it looks like it might be more advanced as far as the readings go. It probably is the better of the 2 and thats why I sent them an email too. I figure theyre the two larger providers of OBDII readers and it couldnt hurt to try them both out just to get pricing and give everyone the option of which they would prefer. If they both offer a group buy at a good enough price Im gonna have both of them up on here. Unless more people feel that one is far better then the other.

Personally I just want it to read for error codes, gauge adjusts and general info on my car and whats going on under the hood. They both generally do just that. One seems to provide you with more info then the other on a pretty good visual display (the OBDII website). Personally I havent used either but if your trying to figure out which ones better then Id have to say the OBDII website is offering a better reader then the OBD-2 site.

Depending on the prices I get will depend on which one we go with, unless some want one and not the other for whatever reason.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 03:53 AM
Alex pepper's (obd-2) is not compatible with obd-1 and doesn't really have control functions, just see info and run tests. Works great, especially for the GB price.

Ok so I was wrong about them both doing the same thing. I had a feeling that the OBD-2 site had less options then the OBDII site.

When they get back to me Ill find out as much as I can. Im still reading up on them both so hopefully Ill wise up and figure out what one has over the other and everything.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:04 AM
I was about to buy this. I am in

All I need is the ford one though. It the three is a good price, i'll get all three
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:07 AM
can anyone tell me what a OBD is? thanks
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:11 AM
Originally posted by myfastse:
I was about to buy this. I am in

All I need is the ford one though. It the three is a good price, i'll get all three

For all 3 its $162. Im gunning for that only for the fact that Im probably gonna get another car sooner or later and in case its not a Ford I dont wanna be stuck with a reader for just a Ford vehicle. Trying to keep my options open as to the usability. If they wont give a deal on the triple pack then the single pack will do just fine.

Either way well end up getting it cheaper then what it says on the site. Im not gonna complain about that.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:16 AM
Is there a smiley that shows him shaking his head, then banging it on the floor, while ponding his fist as well. Then looks up and tears start gussing from his eye's? And it just loops? Just wondering, because that is how I feel right now. So I will have to settle for this...

Now that I have that out of my system!! I will be watching this one. I have wanted one of these for a long time and really need one right now so bad I can taste it!!! Nevermind. I just need one and this is the worest time, because I am flat broke. I will do what I can to save up as much as possible and hope it takes awhile for this GB to happen.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Manfre:

Ok so I was wrong about them both doing the same thing. I had a feeling that the OBD-2 site had less options then the OBDII site.

That's not what I meant. I think both only do that. Neither can really control anything inside the engine bay. Only thing the auto tap looks to have more than alex pepper's is useability on Palm and easier user interface,, but I'm guessing the price is a good bit more than alex pepper's.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:19 AM
Originally posted by unisys12:
Is there a smiley that shows him shaking his head, then banging it on the floor, while ponding his fist as well. Then looks up and tears start gussing from his eye's? And it just loops? Just wondering, because that is how I feel right now. So I will have to settle for this...

Now that I have that out of my system!! I will be watching this one. I have wanted one of these for a long time and really need one right now so bad I can taste it!!! Nevermind. I just need one and this is the worest time, because I am flat broke. I will do what I can to save up as much as possible and hope it takes awhile for this GB to happen.

I was actually hoping to have this done with by the end of the month. But it all depends on the answers I get from the companies. Knowing anything about group buys (and believe you me I dont) itll take a while for this to finish up.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:30 AM
If you go through www.obd-2.com he gave us a while to buy... You could order and he would ship out, and you didn't have to wait for everyone to order. He gave it like a month or so once it started up. It was also a certain % off whatever you wanted,,, everyone didn't have to get the same thing.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 04:46 AM
Originally posted by aaron_soccer20:
can anyone tell me what a OBD is? thanks

On Board Diagnostics. Its the interface by which you can read CELs and pull all kinds of useful information from the car's computer. OBD-II in particular is the second generation of OBD. '95 Contours/Mystiques will have the OBD-I interface, while '96 and beyond will have OBD-II. I would consider it an absolute necessity for anyone willing to do their own diagnostic and repair work. I've personally saved about $100 and saved my parents $40 in two years.

My unit is the tri-mode (PWM=Ford, VPW=GM, ISO=everyone else) and was purchased from Alex Peper at http://www.obd-2.com. The unit went bad after about a year, but it was still under warranty. Alex sent me a replacement that has been working perfectly.
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 05:35 AM
i'm interested... anyone have a pic of what it would look like or anything?
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 06:01 AM
I had mine sitting next to me so I snapped a quick shot:

Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 01:17 PM
Alright this morning I woke up to a pleasant email from Alex Peper stating the following:

Quote:

Quantity group buy discount is 2% per quantity up to 15% off any scan tool mix or match, example 10 is 20% off. 15+ = 30% off = 162 -30% = $113 for 3-combo model, add $4 ship outside USA USD. Can provide special web order link. Will need total list of names and or emails. Can also ship all to you plus ship.
Thank you,
Alex Peper
Car Code
www.obd-2.com

If we can get at least 10 people to get in on this thats 20% off the list price. It may only be a few bucks but its a few bucks less then what youd normally spend.

You guys now know exactly as much as I do. Unless Im mistaken from the email Im gathering that as long as 10 people wanna order then its 20% off any of their readers. If 3 people want the triple combo and 7 people want just the Ford reader then itll be 20% off. When I get home from work Im gonna shoot them another email asking them to make sure that what Im thinking is correct.

Anyone that can get a hundred bucks together can definetly get in on this. All I need now is a head count of how many orders to put in. Im also gonna have them set up that Web Order Link for us. With that I think that everyone can just put in their own order and wont have to worry about me shafting them.

Ill let this run until April 5th depending on the amount of orders that I get. Maybe if I get a response from the other place I can maybe talk them both down a bit. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone so Ill see if I can get us a better deal. Its a pretty good deal as it stands now. But Ill see if I can get anything better from them just for the hell of it.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 03:19 PM
Great, still in for sure
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 05:55 PM
I am really only interested in the Alex peper version.

Let me know.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 06:19 PM
I am really only interested in the Alex peper version.

Let me know.

That seems like the best bet so far. Unless the other one gives a much better price (in order to do that theyd have to offer half off and I doubt thatll happen at all) then the Alex Peper reader is the one were going with.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 07:32 PM
If you look, the other one is cheaper. Only $99 for the ford version. The only one I am really interested. I could be reading the sight wrong though.

It really dosen't matter now that I think about it. Just get us a good price.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/16/04 07:56 PM
Yes you are reading the site wrong.

If you look it is $99 for the Ford Enhanced Data Upgrade is you look closer at the listing at the bottom it says "(Requires ATU hardware sold separately)" the ATU is $199 by itself.

The only other ODB scanner you might want to look at would be this one I think.

http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html
Posted By: Static Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/17/04 04:54 AM
I just want a the cord that plugs the laptop into the car... I know there made stolon has one but I need one..
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/17/04 05:05 AM
What do you mean? A connector to the obd? That is what's being discussed here. Or you mean a cig adapter plug,, search internet for one. Cost in $25-$50 range.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/17/04 06:07 PM
Alright I decided to go with Alex Pepers version of the OBD-II reader. I just sent him an email asking for the purchase link. I also asked to make sure that all it takes for the 20% off is 10 buys of any model or if it has to be 10 buys of the same model.

Hopefully well be able to get more then 15 people in on this and knock the price down 30% so its better for all of us.

Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.unisys12 (if possible)
5.aaron_soccer20

5 isnt too bad but in order to get a real discount I need at least 5 more people to sign up. Anyone that wants in lemme know and Ill put you up on the list. Hopefully more people wanna get in on this.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 07:09 AM
This is my Alex Pepper 3 in one...

Posted By: andymel Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 12:46 PM
I'm in.
Posted By: cj leadfoot_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 02:22 PM
It about time my toolbox came into the new century. Thanks for organizing this.

Put me on the list for the triple combo.

This being my first group buy, care to elaborate on how the money gets moved around?
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 02:48 PM
Originally posted by cj leadfoot:
It about time my toolbox came into the new century. Thanks for organizing this.

Put me on the list for the triple combo.

This being my first group buy, care to elaborate on how the money gets moved around?

Its pretty easy. As soon as I get at least 10 orders Ill let them know everyones email address and theyll send a special link to each person with the proper discount.

Youll be paying them directly for whatever you order. No worries about me
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 02:51 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.unisys12 (if possible)
5.aaron_soccer20
6.andymel
7.cj leadfoot

7 isnt too bad but in order to get a real discount I need at least 3 more people to sign up. Anyone that wants in lemme know and Ill put you up on the list. Hopefully more people wanna get in on this.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 03:20 PM
Can you get this with a USB connector in lieu of the 9 pin? My laptop doesn't have a 9 pin connector. Or, is there an adapter available through CompUSA or someplace similar? I haven't looked for a long time to see. If I can get it to hook to USB I'm in.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: kazanma_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/20/04 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Can you get this with a USB connector in lieu of the 9 pin? My laptop doesn't have a 9 pin connector. Or, is there an adapter available through CompUSA or someplace similar? I haven't looked for a long time to see. If I can get it to hook to USB I'm in.

Thanks,
Rick

Alex Peper sells an optional USB adapter. You can see a pic of it at the bottom of this page. It's $22 IIRC, and I think the discount doesn't apply to accessories. Might want to ask Alex to make sure.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/23/04 12:09 AM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.unisys12 (if possible)
5.aaron_soccer20
6.andymel
7.cj leadfoot
8.ssolomo

8 isnt too bad but in order to get a real discount I need at least 2 more people to sign up. Anyone that wants in lemme know and Ill put you up on the list. Hopefully more people wanna get in on this.
Posted By: SVT Doood Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/23/04 01:28 PM
Add me...
Posted By: unnerv_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/23/04 07:02 PM
count me in too
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/25/04 05:39 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.unisys12 (if possible)
5.aaron_soccer20
6.andymel
7.cj leadfoot
8.ssolomo
9. SVT Doood
10.unnerv

8 isnt too bad but in order to get a real discount I need at least 2 more people to sign up. Anyone that wants in lemme know and Ill put you up on the list. Hopefully more people wanna get in on this.

That makes 10
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/25/04 08:20 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.unisys12 (if possible)
5.aaron_soccer20
6.andymel
7.cj leadfoot
8.ssolomo
9. SVT Doood
10.unnerv

That makes 10

God damn! I swore I had already posted that. Im sorry fellas. What I thought I had said a couple days ago is that being that we got 10 people in already I was gonna wait until the end of the month. I think one of the guys wanted it to take a lil longer so he can save up the money. Plus I kinda wanna see if maybe by the end of March we can get 5 more people to join in on this. If not 20% is still a pretty kickass deal.

Either way Ill give everyones email address to Peper on the 31st of March. Everyones email addresses are in their user info right? If not PM me with your email addy.
Posted By: SoopaCooga Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/25/04 09:28 PM
If you haven't already, you could post over at TCCA, NECO, and other car clubs whose members are familiar with the product. I bought mine last year through TCCA and got a HUGE discount!
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/25/04 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gamiller:
If you haven't already, you could post over at TCCA, NECO, and other car clubs whose members are familiar with the product. I bought mine last year through TCCA and got a HUGE discount!

Ill link them here. Maybe well get a bunch more orders.

Its a shame that you cant get more then 30% off. Itd be awesome if we got like 75 people up and got them down to half price.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/26/04 01:15 AM
Sorry guys, take me off the list. We just found out that we will have to buy a $200 starter for my wife's Passport. Sorry fella's.
Posted By: jborge_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/30/04 05:41 AM

Am I to late?
Let me know, thanks.
Posted By: juspifool_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/30/04 07:15 PM
I am also interested, let me know if am too late.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/30/04 09:25 PM
i'd be interested, she's been getting some electronic gremlins of recent, the cels come and go, I just want to know what and WHY!!!

Suneil
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/30/04 11:02 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge

End Group Buy?
Let it go till all 15 slots are filled
End it now so we can get it soon!!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My internet was down at home and I been busy at work. Heres the standings as of right now.

Weve got one drop out and 3 join ups in his place. I wanna know what you guys think before I make this decision, but do you think I should wait for the other 3 spots to fill up? As it stands I think well get 24% off. Which isnt bad, but with 3 more people we could get it for 30% off.

Should I let it run till we get 15 or should I just end it today like originally planned? Majority rules and everyones opinion counts

Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/30/04 11:28 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. My internet was down at home and I been busy at work.

I personally don't care. On a side note you should pay your bills on time.

Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/30/04 11:41 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. My internet was down at home and I been busy at work.

HEY! I have Comcast and my cable modem sucks! I pay all my bills on time!

Ungrateful bastards! The whole lot of ya!
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 03/31/04 04:40 AM

HEY! I have Comcast and my cable modem sucks! I pay all my bills on time!

Ungrateful bastards! The whole lot of ya!

Just pullin your chain. Thanks for putting this together.
Posted By: juspifool_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/01/04 04:46 AM
I think that we should wait til there are 15 people. Also, I was reading his website and it said that he gives discounts to fulltime students, two discounts would rule.
Posted By: kazanma_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/01/04 05:30 AM
Originally posted by juspifool:
Also, I was reading his website and it said that he gives discounts to fulltime students, two discounts would rule.

I don't think you can stack discounts.
Posted By: lgy Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/02/04 03:46 AM
I am in. We only need two more now.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/02/04 06:17 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy

Ive decided to wait it out for 2 more people. It shouldnt take too long. Besides, I think its worth the wait for 30% off instead of 26. I mean accepting 26 is like getting a silver medal. Its like hey good job, but you sucked enough to lose first and instead you got this second prize.

Second place is the winning loser.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/02/04 07:34 PM
For 30% off the triple pack, I'm in. Send me a PM when it's time. That'll total $113.40 for a Triple, yes?
Posted By: juspifool_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/02/04 09:08 PM
We might as well wait until April 12th and see how many people we can get, because the ordering is closed until then.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/03/04 12:46 AM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy
14.TourDeForce

Looks like we only need one more person!

I also noticed that we have 12 more days... So that means if you didnt wanna wait before, you got no choice now. I think its plenty of time for one more person to order.
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/03/04 02:58 AM
Damn...and I've been trying to save money. Let me check my finances and if it works out I'll be #15.

Just so I know....what would be the discount for a 3-way combo setup with the 15 person discount?
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/03/04 04:47 PM
YHou need a person! I am in tell me where to send money! Seriously.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/03/04 05:26 PM
What payment methods are accepted?

This has been on my list for quite a while, and I see no better time than now!
Posted By: FlechaAutoSports Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/03/04 11:19 PM
Count me in..
Is this for the Auto-Tap one?
obdii.com one?
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/04/04 03:20 AM
This is for the one from http://www.obd-2.com/ this is not the autotap brand one.

When I bought a few years back thru the groupbuy once he got the names of the people in the groupbuy you just ordered normal and identitifed yourself as a member of the CEG groupbuy.

At that time he accepted Paypal, Check, Money order, Credit Card. I do not know for sure that he accepts all those forms of payment right now but I would assume it would still be the same.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/04/04 04:59 AM
PayPal or Visa would work great for me!

Most accept either, so I think you can count me in!
Posted By: FlechaAutoSports Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/04/04 05:19 AM
my bad, I thought it was for the autotap one..

sorry, count me out.. want the autotap.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/05/04 05:12 AM
Should have about 17 ready to go now. Make the count & let us know what to do to order & get the discount.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/05/04 05:21 AM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy
14.TourDeForce
15.MapOfTaziFoSho
16.Eric L
17.TourDeForce

Youre damn skippy were good! Unfortunately the guys on spring break and hes closed ordering until April 12th. So that means that on April 13th Im sending him everyones email so he can send the people the buy link so they can purchase what they want for 30% off.

If everyone can PM me with their email addys itll be a HUGE help. Later in the week Im gonna send out the PMs to people to get everyones email addy that I dont already have at that point.

Its a damn shame that the max discount is 30% cause it could be such a kickass discount. But I guess the guys smart enough to realize if we got 50 orders itd be free.

Why cant vendors be less wise to this?

Thanks for everyone that got in on this. Cant say I didnt have any alterier motive. I just didnt wanna pay full price and wanted to pass the savings along
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/06/04 07:54 AM
I sat out the last GB on this a few years ago and regretted it. You can count me in this time. I'll PM you my email to give to Alex.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/07/04 02:21 AM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy
14.TourDeForce
15.MapOfTaziFoSho
16.Eric L
17.vudusvt

Aight sorry for the lack of delays. Crazy with work. So far Ive gotten the emails of
ssolomo
Eric L
jborge
vudusvt
livinsvt
juspifool
myfastse

I just need the email addresses from the following by April 12th:

myfastse
aaron_soccer20
andymel
cj leadfoot
SVT Doood
unnerv
juspifool
ssmumich00
lgy
TourDeForce
MapOfTaziFoSho

Ill PM you on the 12th if I havent received your email yet. I can NOT wait for this! I can finally turn off that goddamned Check Engine light thats always on.

Orange is not in my color scheme!

Oh and for everyone thanking me, its not a problem. Thank YOU guys for getting in on the group buy to give us the biggest discount available!
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/07/04 04:38 AM
Wow, I'm on both list.
Posted By: jborge_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/07/04 05:11 AM
I can finally turn off that goddamned Check Engine light thats always on.

Orange is not in my color scheme!

Know the feeling!

Can't wait to turn my heck Engine Light off as well!

Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/09/04 11:51 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy
14.TourDeForce
15.MapOfTaziFoSho
16.Eric L
17.vudusvt
18.timeless420

Aight sorry for the lack of delays. Crazy with work. So far Ive gotten the emails of
ssolomo
Eric L
jborge
vudusvt
livinsvt
juspifool
myfastse
timeless420
lgy
ssmumich00
SVT Doood
myfastse

aaron_soccer20
andymel
cj leadfoot
unnerv
juspifool
TourDeForce
MapOfTaziFoSho

Were getting better. Couple more days before I start hounding everyone!
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/12/04 02:13 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy
14.TourDeForce
15.MapOfTaziFoSho
16.Eric L
17.vudusvt
18.timeless420
19.V.R.
20.wk217

ssolomo
Eric L
jborge
vudusvt
livinsvt
juspifool
myfastse
timeless420
lgy
ssmumich00
SVT Doood
myfastse
V.R.

aaron_soccer20
andymel
cj leadfoot
unnerv
juspifool
TourDeForce
MapOfTaziFoSho

Ok so far these are all the emails I have. When I get home tonight Im gonna reply back to Peper and give him everyones email address. I would do it right now, but I dont have the email at work. Ill probably CC everyone on the email I send him this way you all know whats going on.

The ones I dont have email addresses for are gonna get PMs from me as soon as Im done posting this.

Thanks for everyone for helping me make this kickass!
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/12/04 09:43 PM
Heres the list so far.

1.Manfre
2.livinsvt
3.myfastse
4.aaron_soccer20
5.andymel
6.cj leadfoot
7.ssolomo
8. SVT Doood
9.unnerv
10.juspifool
11.ssmumich00
12.jborge
13.lgy
14.TourDeForce
15.MapOfTaziFoSho
16.Eric L
17.vudusvt
18.timeless420
19.V.R.
20.wk217

ssolomo
Eric L
jborge
vudusvt
livinsvt
juspifool
myfastse
timeless420
lgy
ssmumich00
SVT Doood
myfastse
V.R.
juspifool

aaron_soccer20
andymel
cj leadfoot
unnerv
TourDeForce
MapOfTaziFoSho

Thanks for everyone for helping me make this kickass!

Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/12/04 10:08 PM
Alright I just sent the email to Alex Peper. Everything that provided me with an email address, and has a valid email address in their profile received the email as well. If you didnt receive an email from me at rickmanfre@comcast.net then please let me know ASAP and Ill send him the additional email addresses.

Dont worry about anyone that didnt send me an email and didnt have a valid email address in their profile. There were more then the required 15 people for the 30% discount so if youre worried about not getting the best discount then have no fear.

Im glad to have set this group buy up and even happier to know that everyone was able to help out and we were able to get this done. Thank you all!
Posted By: juspifool_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/13/04 04:37 PM
Did anyone get an email from Alex Peper yet?
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/13/04 04:51 PM
Originally posted by juspifool:
Did anyone get an email from Alex Peper yet?

I havent had a chance to check my email at home yet. I was about to do that in a few minutes.

If you didnt get an email from a person at rickmanfre@comcast.net then let me know ASAP. That was me and it was the email I had sent to Peper. If you didnt get that email then I didnt have you on the list and Im sorry. PM me and make sure you note that you werent on the list. I think I got 1 or 2 PMs already. If youre emailing me at home then make sure you let me know whats up. Ill send another email to Peper and let him know that there are a few additions to the list. If not then I think I might be able to send you the link for the group buy with the discount and it should work.

Im not positive on that but Ill see what happens when I get an email from him.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/14/04 12:17 AM
Alright well I screwed up... The email I sent out the first time was from my mothers profile on the computer and I didnt realize it. Alex Peper probably didnt know what the hell was going on either. I just resent the email from the RIGHT address this time.

If anyone got an email from Joan Manfre then that was the one I sent out last night. The one I just sent out is the correct one from my email address.

Dont I feel like an ass
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/14/04 12:24 AM
Yeah...I was wondering if that was your alter ego sending me mail
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/15/04 02:50 AM
Quote:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 10:24 PM
To: Rick Manfre
Subject: Re: Group Buy

I will email each with order link, Wed or Thur
Thank you,
Alex Peper
Car Code
www.obd-2.com

Thats the email I just got from Peper. That means that everyones getting the GB Link sometime tomorrow!
Posted By: wk217_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/16/04 02:54 AM
Quote:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 10:24 PM
To: Rick Manfre
Subject: Re: Group Buy

I will email each with order link, Wed or Thur
Thank you,
Alex Peper
Car Code
www.obd-2.com

Thats the email I just got from Peper. That means that everyones getting the GB Link sometime tomorrow!

Anyone get the GB Link Manfre was referring to?
Posted By: idioticslacker Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/16/04 03:09 AM
Just got it 3 minutes ago and order placed. Thanks Manfre for setting this up.

-Greg
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/16/04 03:44 AM
Ok, stupid question, which one do I want? I wanted the 3 setup we were all talking about. ???

EDIT: Nevermind, think I found it, 3-combo all vehicles, right? What is the tricom with integral vehicle connectors?
Posted By: idioticslacker Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/16/04 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Eric L:
Ok, stupid question, which one do I want? I wanted the 3 setup we were all talking about. ???

EDIT: Nevermind, think I found it, 3-combo all vehicles, right? What is the tricom with integral vehicle connectors?

I e-mailed Alex and this is what he told me:

"The Tricom has better case design with interface unit built in to car connector.
Good for every day shop use
Alex Peper
Car Code
www.obd-2.com"

-Greg
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/16/04 04:02 AM

You can get whichever one you want. The discount is good for all the OBD Readers.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/16/04 10:52 PM
So which did you get? I'm now torn so I e-mailed him and asked a few more questions. I'll post results if anybody elase wants a better clarification.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/19/04 02:31 PM
So which did you get? I'm now torn so I e-mailed him and asked a few more questions. I'll post results if anybody elase wants a better clarification.

Id just go for the 3 in one deal. Think of it like this. If you ever get another car you can use it for that. You can also help friends out with foreign cars (if you associate with "those" types) when they have problems. Its a catch all for pretty much any and every application you could ever want.

Thats what Im going for at least. If my [censored] credit card ever clears my goddamned checks I sent them last week.

Youd think theyed cash the checks as soon as they got them. Pricks. If they dont get cleared before the 30th Im totally [censored] outta this group buy. Rat bastards. The whole lot of them!
Posted By: chapulin Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/19/04 09:09 PM
It has already arrived to Madrid.

The PVWM-ISO code reader.

It seems to work right. Now I just only need to repair those missfires the tool is reporting.

Thank you guys for the GB.

Salu2
chapulin and his Spanish Cougar.
Posted By: idioticslacker Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/19/04 10:26 PM
Recieved mine today. So far I like it. Cleared the code I had and fixed the problem. Just out of curiosity anyone know how to monitor or what the fuel pressure sensor is called. Really would like to monitor that.

-Greg
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/19/04 10:27 PM
Do we have a fuel pressure sensor? I thought you had to attach one to the fuel rail.
Posted By: idioticslacker Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/20/04 02:08 AM
There is already one on the fuel rail, it is how the pump knows to send more fuel. When I tell the comptuer to pull up all possible data it list fuel rail pressure, but when i tell it to get teh data it says it is unable to get it. Same thing with a few other sensors. Oh well guess i will have to play around some more. So far i have found that my car has misfired 54,000 times since hte last reset (most likely do to the surging fuel pump). Will have to give it a good long drive tomarrow so the computer csan run all it's tests.

-Greg
Posted By: V.R. Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 12:13 AM
First, thanks to Rick for setting this up, and kudos to Alex for shipping so rapidly.

Now, on to questions and quibbles - is it just me, or is the documentation a little light and hard to use? I couldn't get it to work at all with my first laptop (again, though, thanks Alex for the support help), and I can't seem to get it to run some of the tests. Finally, pure ignorance question: I went to the test page, ran the tests, and got a few failures. How do we interpret these? I don't see anything like the trouble code list in the FAQ for these failures. If there's just a link or something from the program, I'm purely missing it. Any hint or help welcome.
Posted By: idioticslacker Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 01:52 AM
Ditto on the failures. Says my cat is over the limit, states 821:1, with limit of 321:1. Any one know what that means?

-Greg
Posted By: ssolomo Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 03:26 AM
Originally posted by idioticslacker:

I e-mailed Alex and this is what he told me:

"The Tricom has better case design with interface unit built in to car connector.
Good for every day shop use
Alex Peper
Car Code
www.obd-2.com"

-Greg

OK; I think I still need a better explanation of the Tricom vs. the standard 3 combo. Does anyone have the Tricom? Is it worth the extra $14? I gotta get the triple combo anyways (the lady has a Camry) and figure this as an investment.

Thanks,

Steven

Posted By: kazanma_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ssolomo:

OK; I think I still need a better explanation of the Tricom vs. the standard 3 combo. Does anyone have the Tricom? Is it worth the extra $14? I gotta get the triple combo anyways (the lady has a Camry) and figure this as an investment.

Thanks,

Steven

I believe the Tricom is just one single connector for all models, whereas the triple combo is all 3 individual connectors for the three different categories of OBD II cars.

There was some confusion about this the last time we had a group buy, cuz some guy got a triple combo and he said it was also just one universal connector like the Tricom. I never did figure it out...

Either way, I have the Tricom and I'm happy with it.
Posted By: chapulin Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 01:19 PM
Combos have one connector and a little black box (called bluebox by the software).
Tricoms have that black box integrated in the connector (instead of being at the middle of the CAT5 cable).
Posted By: kazanma_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 03:08 PM
Originally posted by chapulin:
Combos have one connector and a little black box (called bluebox by the software).
Tricoms have that black box integrated in the connector (instead of being at the middle of the CAT5 cable).

Oooooh. Thanks for explaining.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 04:11 PM
Originally posted by chapulin:

If you have an older one then it is a blue box I guess he has switched to a black box in the years since I got mine.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/21/04 11:04 PM
I just went for the tricom. I figured what is $14 now, not like I can exchange it later if I changed my mind.

Should be on Friday!
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/26/04 05:44 AM
Just got my Tricom in, thanks Manfre!
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/26/04 01:35 PM
For everyone thanking me, although its greatly appreciated, I gotta say I cant accept it. Thank YOU to everyone that participated. Without those that participated this group buy wouldnt have been able to get off the ground so quickly and with such a great discount. So to all of you I thank you.

Now for a favor from anyone that still has the email. Can someone post the link for me? I cant get into my email from home or from work and its really fricking pissing me off. I wanted to post the link here for those that wanna get in on it last minute, but dont have it anymore. I also wanted to order the damn thing today but cant.

Just please someone post the link for the PayPal purchase for me? Im a friggin idiot, I know.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 04/27/04 01:11 AM
Probably a little late now, but:

Group buy for Car Code Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool
Expires Apr 30, 2004

Paypal transfer and credit card service
www.obd-2.com/paygp.html

Secure credit card service
www.obd-2.com/ccgp.html

Check or money order (see prices at above web site)
Mark "Rick M" on order.
www.obd-2.com/order.html

Will notify of ship.
Allow 12-48 hours for processing and 3-5 days for ship USA, 5-20 days outside USA add $4

Thank you,
Car Code
www.obd-2.com
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/01/04 03:10 AM
paid today.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/05/04 01:17 AM
Got it today.

Time to go play.
Posted By: Manfre Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/05/04 04:56 PM
Got it today.

Time to go play.

I got mine the other day, thanks Eric for posting the info I needed.

Its not working with my laptop, and causing my laptop to shut down due to some BIOS issues or some crap like that. Worked with my friends laptop no problem, but my friends an ass and wont trade laptops with me.

So in short, anyone wanna buy my Tricom off me for $120 before I try returning it to Peper? Drop me a PM if youre interested.

If not Im gonna get in touch with Peper and see if hell let me return it on Friday.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/05/04 07:17 PM
Why not work on fixing your laptop instead of gettting rid of the OBD-II stuff ?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/06/04 03:04 AM
stupid question but where's the obd connector on the car, I just got my kit and there weren't any directions in the box. . .

From what I gather it's near the driver's side front strut?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/06/04 03:09 AM
Its under/behind the drivers side knee panel, under the dash. Look at the connector, then look under there and you will see it off to the left of the dash.

And Manfre, whey don't you just reformat your hard drive and see if you can get the software to work? How old is your laptop and what windows are you running?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/10/04 01:13 AM
ok, since my laptop doesn't have the right connection to pin on the plug, I ordered the usb adaptor. . .and whenever I start the program up to connect to my car, with the key in the ignition turned on, it says failure to connect. . .

How do we connect to the car through the usb port. . .is there a place on the program that will allow me to designate the usb port as the port throughwhich I want the reader to scan?

It says that there's a failure to find an obd2 device or something. . .???
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/14/04 03:11 AM
Did you ever get it figured out Suneil. My problem today was it read my scanner and attempted to read my car computer, but said "no response". I tried on a 2002 explorer and a 1997 Ford Ranger. I know explorers use to have a hard time comunicating with the Ford scan tools, but not Rangers. Any thoughts anyone?
Posted By: ssolomo Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/14/04 03:24 AM
I had a problem with mine - couldn't get it to read, same error - it was my palm hotsync software which was setup to look on the serial port as well as USB (I only have a USB cable for the palm). I disabled it and it worked like a charm. See if there is anything else that is using the serial port on your laptop.

Good luck!

Steven
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/14/04 04:06 AM
i haven't gotten it to work yet, but I have a feeling it's using a serial port, NOT my usb, hence the problem. . .is there a way to disable the serial ports and only let the usb's function?

I emailed the support address and it bounced back, is there a different email address for support?

Suneil
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/14/04 04:27 AM
I had a problem with mine - couldn't get it to read, same error - it was my palm hotsync software which was setup to look on the serial port as well as USB (I only have a USB cable for the palm). I disabled it and it worked like a charm. See if there is anything else that is using the serial port on your laptop.

Good luck!

Steven

I don't know what else could be using the serial port. Its a brand new computer. The obd2 program was the first program I installed and there is only one port. It read the r3232(whatever it is), just couldn't get a reading from the car. Also can serial to usb adaptors be purchased at any computer store?
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/14/04 07:12 AM
Originally posted by livinsvt:

Good luck!

Steven

I don't know what else could be using the serial port. Its a brand new computer. The obd2 program was the first program I installed and there is only one port. It read the r3232(whatever it is), just couldn't get a reading from the car. Also can serial to usb adaptors be purchased at any computer store?

For those with serial port issues.

Not sure if you have trued or not but you could check to see if they are turned on or off.

Right click my computer and click on manage. Then click on device manager. On the right you will see the ports. You can right click the port in question and it will give you the option to disable or enable the port. You can turn the ports on and off here. Hope this helps.
Posted By: kazanma_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/14/04 02:30 PM
If you have the USB adapter, make sure your gateway settings are correct.

Goto Options > Gateway > Interface tab

I already have 2 real serial ports, so the USB adapter acts as port 3.
Posted By: wk217_dup1 Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 05/15/04 06:33 AM
I'm not sure which USB-Serial adapter you are using, but, in my experience, you need to change the serial port the USB adapter is allowing you to use, to serial port 1-4, whichever one is free.

I had a problem with mine as well, but mine was due to a driver problem. Mine was an IOGEAR GU232A, and the driver from IOGEAR would crash about 5 minutes after I started streaming data. I was able to get a driver from ATEN, the manufacturer, which has worked fine to date.

I also emailed Alex (while I was still having the problems) and he told me to make sure that buffers were increased as well as to make sure the system had more than 64mb of RAM. His tips didn't help me any, as I already had buffers set to max, as well as 512mb of RAM, but this info might help others.

Email reply from Alex Peper
Quote:

Did receive a phone call today with same problem. No other reported USB adpater problems past 5 years. Told customer to increase buffer size as below.
Possible is problem with a I/O gear driver. Also close any ohter programs running.
Current adpater is a Port Authority 2. Requirements state 64MB RAM or higher.

After plug in USB adapter, in windows start-control panel-performance and maintenance-system-hardware-device manager should see a listing Ports (COM & LPT) double click ICON and USB adapter driver should list name and serial port number, right click on for properties and increase buffer size..

Posted By: R_G Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 06/15/04 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
stupid question but where's the obd connector on the car, I just got my kit and there weren't any directions in the box. . .

From what I gather it's near the driver's side front strut?

Posted By: R_G Re: OBD-II Interest Check - 06/15/04 02:30 PM
Hey ppl I really can't go thru 12 pages now. Is there still a chance to grab one scan tool?
Tnx.
© CEG Archives