Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 98LXSESport Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 04:57 PM
Haveing see the need for new headlights, I spent hundreds of hours researching our ability to get aftermarket lights. I have a company willing to make a design for a price in our ballpark. I know there is interest, but I need a better idea of how much for a good price. The tooling price is the killer unless we can get a large amount of people willing to buy these. I am not going to ask for a deposit or any money up front. If this happens, you will pay when your lights are finished and they will be shipped to you. Here are some pics to help with the interest.
http://www.geocities.com/rmforr2/
The small holes are for LEDs, and the large holes will fit the Hella Lamps. I am going to talk to Hella and see if I can't get a huge bulk of these and put them in before shipping. This should keep the cost lower. Let me know what you think. The company that would make them is ready to go. If there is anyone with an old headlight laying around, I will pay you to send it to them for correct fitment.
Posted By: onosway Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 05:03 PM
I'm down - and I can spare a square till April 24th - I think I'm buying new lights anyway for a show I'm doing.

If they can have a piece by April 24th - prototype or not - that would be great.
Posted By: onosway Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 05:08 PM
by the way - you need to hose your pictures somewhere other than Geocities or just link them instead the pictures will not come up otherwise.

What's the price for just one? Assuming you don't get bulk.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 05:19 PM
My only question is how much, but also what is Dean doing?
Posted By: DeanJoyce.com_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 05:24 PM
all i see is X. i have been falling way behind with the morette-style lights. if theres a company out there that is willing to do a set of lights, i'd say DO IT. my project is in the working, but its a very slow process being that im the owner of my biz and its been picking up a lot lately, not to mention the raceway is now open and i go there weekly with the accord and in between that im trying to get the mystique ready in time for a show mid-april in NJ. so, lets see some pics...
Posted By: crusinmercury Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 05:28 PM
For the pics go to http://www.geocities.com/rmforr2/ and just click through the links. These look like they are going to be pretty nice, and i'll be the first to say we need completed pics.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 05:44 PM
Just a suggestion if it's even possible but you may want to set those small holes for the leds (which I am assuming will be for turn signals) 6 wide and 3 high instead of the opposite. Just seems to me they would wrap more around the headlight that way and be easier to see from the side. My 'Tour is going into severely long term storage in a few months but I might still be interested depending on the price/how Dean comes out with his Morette project.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 06:03 PM
Obviously, nothing is set in stone yet. I just got off the phone with these guys a few hours ago. I wil tell you where we are at. The asseblies will be made of ABS plastic as it is strong and can be painted. It is also cheaper than other materials. Alot of bady parts are already made of this stuff, so it is proven durable. We are looking to keep the price around $350. If we could get 10,00 guys than maybe we could get them for $50. Since that is highly unlikely, I am expecting to order 100 sets. I plan on inventorying the unsold units. If you can see the pics, you will see that these are for the 98+. To make them for the others, starts the process all over. I am not against doing them, but it is a huge process for me to design them. The design is simple. I did not have any collaboratin on the project. I like the idea of changing the direction of LEDs. I just did not think of it. If there are any other ideas, I would appreciate some feedback. I would, however like to get the ball rolling. Major changed are probably not going to happen.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 06:23 PM
Very intrested. Let do it. You will have buyers, sooner the better. One for summer and other so Dean doesn't put to much effort into his. Lets go. How long until you can get?
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 06:30 PM
If its $350 with lights included, then I'd be a definite... but if that's just for the housing... count me out!
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 06:58 PM
I just emailed Hella. That price was to include the lights. If you just want the housing, I think it can be done for $275. These are very early numbers. The guy I talked to at the manufacturer thinks he can shave some more here and there. I do not know what Hella is going to do. Some of their lights are pretty expensive. I have just started the process of finding lights for the holes. I have asked them to quote a price for the 90mm lights because these should fit the best.

By the way, does anyone know where I can buy a headlight for fitment? It does not need to be pretty.
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 07:05 PM
I am in, those look nice.
Posted By: lowbudgetracing Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 07:06 PM
i would buy a set
Posted By: jon_mason14 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 07:15 PM
So are you going to do these for the pre-98's or not?
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 98LXSESport:

Can you please check out DeanJoyce's group buy and look at the style and fitment of the photoshopped lights as well as the ones on the black SVT, how close are they to looking like this.

Paintable is a must.

Posted By: JULES_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 08:20 PM
I'm interested. Just want to see final details.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 08:23 PM
Originally posted by jon_mason14:
So are you going to do these for the pre-98's or not?

As of now there is not any plans for it. If you give me some pretty exact dimensions I can begin to make a plan. As it stands now, nothing has been drawn for the pre-98s.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Fmr12B:

Can you please check out DeanJoyce's group buy and look at the style and fitment of the photoshopped lights as well as the ones on the black SVT, how close are they to looking like this.

Paintable is a must.

I can't do much with a photoshopped picture. It is pretty difficult to work in 3D from those pictures. Of course my inspiration came from the morrettes and I have no intention of stealing DeanJoyce's thunder. He seems busy and I wanted to find some lights for myself. If I were going to just buy ohne set for myself it would cost over $20000. That is the setup cost for these guys to make these lights. This cost stays the same no matter how many assemblies I have made. If someone wants to buy 1000 units to sell, we could get these for next to nothing.
Posted By: parkedcar Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 08:56 PM
I like the idea but if dean is going to stick with his plans, i will be going with him. If not, then obviously you will be the only other option. I am not a fan of the LED holes at all though. i dont think it goes with the car. also i think that they should be more to the side rather than crammed up front because that leaves too much dead space on the sides. Thats just my oppinion though.
Oh, and are the Hellas a projector light or just a regular lamp? can wee see a pic of the lights you have in mind?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 08:57 PM
Who's doing them in Houston?

I've got a spare set of OEM ones for a donor fit.

Questions, since I've been down this road:

(1) Fit is important, OEM is best. You do realize that A LOT of cutting will have to be done to the car to fit the 90mm in there, UNLESS they push the actual lighting assembly out farther.

(2) 90mm Hella is best, what bulb assemblies will be accepted? H7, H9, etc.?

(3) SEAL. If these can be OEM sealed, AWESOME.

(4) PRICE. $350 is dirt cheap for a lighting assembly like that INCLUDING the Hella's.

I have MM Xenons, love them to death, and they work fabulously ONCE I sealed everything, but that was a trial and error thing.

Here's an idea of what fitment with the hella's in low and high look like:

As for buying tons of sets, I'm sure EVERY 98+ would buy them here if they're at $350 per light, because OEM are $250 per light (so ~$500 total OEM vs. ~$700 for these).

Suneil
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
Who's doing them in Houston?

I've got a spare set of OEM ones for a donor fit.

Questions, since I've been down this road:

(1) Fit is important, OEM is best. You do realize that A LOT of cutting will have to be done to the car to fit the 90mm in there, UNLESS they push the actual lighting assembly out farther.

(2) 90mm Hella is best, what bulb assemblies will be accepted? H7, H9, etc.?

(3) SEAL. If these can be OEM sealed, AWESOME.

(4) PRICE. $350 is dirt cheap for a lighting assembly like that INCLUDING the Hella's.

I have MM Xenons, love them to death, and they work fabulously ONCE I sealed everything, but that was a trial and error thing.

Here's an idea of what fitment with the hella's in low and high look like:

As for buying tons of sets, I'm sure EVERY 98+ would buy them here if they're at $350 per light, because OEM are $250 per light (so ~$500 total OEM vs. ~$700 for these).

Suneil

The guy that wants to do them is actually in Oklahoma. The Idea is to have the whole assembly fit like OEM, but it is a custom assembly so fitment of the Hellas is easy. Basically the assembly is designed around the lights. The low beam is projector. These are the lights I think will work best. These use the H9 bulb and adjuster screws.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp

Again, price is not concrete yet. Hella has not responded to my email. You would think they would want to sell 400 lights.

I know the trun signal is not the best. I just don't know how else to do it.

I am definetly interested in buying your old pair. I want to send it to the mfg as soon as possible. Send me a message and let me know what you want for them. I am in the Galleria area and I can come get them.
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 09:35 PM
if its around $350.00 including the lights, i am in, and i like the idea of the leds wraping around it more... count me in!
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 10:19 PM

What should I do about the trun signal?
Keep it the way it is
Wrap the LEDs around and add more lights
Add another patch of LEDs to the side of the assembly
Screw the LEDs and have no turn signal

Posted By: KarlosSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/08/04 10:53 PM
Originally posted by aaron_soccer20:
if its around $350.00 including the lights, i am in, and i like the idea of the leds wraping around it more... count me in!

Me too!!
Posted By: TheFordGuy Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 12:07 AM
I've got an additional set of scratched up headlights from my accident a few months ago. Let me know if you want them.

Greg
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 12:11 AM
Originally posted by KarlosSVT:

Me too!!

Same here!!!!! I'd like to go with Dean, but it doesn't sound like he's into it as much as before. I understand he's very busy, but I think alot of people were looking to him to come up with something. If he does, then we'll have to choose.

Are the lights gonna have any kind of covers? If they're paintable, what about the lights--paint before installing the lights/LED's?
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 12:43 AM
<
<p>What should I do about the trun signal?

LED's have got to go. I'm a DEAN supporter and I think what he was doing is hte best possible answer to our headlight issues. CEG has spoken since I joined, back in 2000, about wanting Morette style lights.

People want these, look at the posts to D.J.'s thread.

It looks like you need to sell a minimum of 100 pairs of these in order for the cost to stay relatively low. If you stick with the Morette style you will sell that 100 without a problem.

The pic below is perfect for what I want. Stick the refelctor on the side where it belongs or rig up somthing like this photoshop that has a vent for a performance boost. If you make a vent you will sell more of these, Why you ask?, because people who are performance mod based not asthetics mod based will want these as well! You would be reaching a larger base of consumers.

ABS plastic please so it can take a rock and this will definitely need to be paintable! Any chance of a clear plastic cover lens to protect the lamps?

Posted By: SVTnKC_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 01:14 AM
<<<VERY Interested, just need final details!!!! I do agree about the LED's though... screw them or make a lens for them! Yet, either way, i'm interested!~!~!
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 02:50 AM
If Morette style is what everyone wants, then these guys will make them. I will need some very good pictures of them so I can make a 3D of them. I have not seen detailed pics of a set yet. It seems almost unanymous to redesign the turn signal, so I am back to the Drawing board so to speak.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 02:54 AM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:

Me too!!

Same here!!!!! I'd like to go with Dean, but it doesn't sound like he's into it as much as before. I understand he's very busy, but I think alot of people were looking to him to come up with something. If he does, then we'll have to choose.

Are the lights gonna have any kind of covers? If they're paintable, what about the lights--paint before installing the lights/LED's?

Like the Morettes there is no lense. The lights are not permanetly fixed, so you will be able to remove them for painting. ABS is deffinetly the way I want to go with these.
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 02:58 AM
so I can make a 3D of them.

if you wait a couple of weeks i think i can have a driver side light completely done with a vent.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 03:00 AM
Here is a link to the pic on the UK site that sells the Morettes
Posted By: onosway Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 03:02 AM
I like the original setup started in the GB just the LEDs should change.

I'm currently doing the mod that Suniel has on his headlights since they're not offered any more for some reason....
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 04:14 AM

If I were to buy some aftermarket headlights, THAT is what I want them to look like!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 04:32 AM
If they can look like the morettes with the vent adn wrap the LED around the side somehow (and paintable).. count me in for a set. $350.00 sounds very good!
Posted By: unknown_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 04:48 AM
I'm in.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 05:19 AM
Originally posted by mikey boy:

if you wait a couple of weeks i think i can have a driver side light completely done with a vent.

Are you talking about a CAD drawing or physical model. If you know how to make the CAD drawing I will wait and use it. I am also going to work on it.
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 05:23 AM
no a 3d model. more like a finished light. i have been working on it for awhile and should be done and painted in the next couple weeks.
Posted By: KarlosSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 07:16 PM
<

LED's have got to go. I'm a DEAN supporter and I think what he was doing is hte best possible answer to our headlight issues. CEG has spoken since I joined, back in 2000, about wanting Morette style lights.

It looks like you need to sell a minimum of 100 pairs of these in order for the cost to stay relatively low. If you stick with the Morette style you will sell that 100 without a problem.

The pic below is perfect for what I want. Stick the refelctor on the side where it belongs or rig up somthing like this photoshop that has a vent for a performance boost. If you make a vent you will sell more of these, Why you ask?, because people who are performance mod based not asthetics mod based will want these as well! You would be reaching a larger base of consumers.

ABS plastic please so it can take a rock and this will definitely need to be paintable! Any chance of a clear plastic cover lens to protect the lamps?

I really like the scoop idea---much-----A
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 07:53 PM

Posted By: KarlosSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/09/04 09:05 PM
<

I really like the scoop idea---much-----A

vent idiot!!
Posted By: SESportV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/10/04 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Bronco_II:

If I were to buy some aftermarket headlights, THAT is what I want them to look like!

I'm in if there is no vent
Posted By: outkast Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/10/04 05:24 PM
Yet another group buy for post 98 lights
We still need headlights made for pre 98 tours.
Posted By: badtour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/11/04 06:51 AM
i am down depending on when they are done
Posted By: Ronan_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/11/04 02:01 PM
If there were pre-98s I would be in too....
Posted By: jon_mason14 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/11/04 07:34 PM
Quote:

If there were pre-98s I would be in too....

Yeah me too. I hate my stock lights.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/11/04 07:52 PM
Originally posted by outkast:

another GB for post 98 lights? A few ideas but still no product. When someone finally produces something, they'll be sittin on a gold mine.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/11/04 09:07 PM
Originally posted by outkast:

Then one of the Pre-98 guys...... such as yourself..... need to get ahold of someone to make headlights.. I mean, this guy isn't just someone out of the blue that said "I think Im going to make 98+ headlights for a Ford Contour.." He owns a 98+ Contour himself and wants to get something rolling for his car, and everyone else's(98+).. There has to be someone with a Pre-98 with connections to someone that could fab some headlights up for you guys though..

Mark
Posted By: SVT4Door Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/12/04 01:02 PM
all i say is no vent, led's cool new look a bit rice but i would buy it. it does need to wrap around to the side, i am in love with the morette style so if it looks like those then i don't care how much it is as long it isn't crazy expensive.
Posted By: Braden Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/13/04 03:21 AM
If the price is right around $350, I'm definately in. I need some new headlights badly, though, so I can't wait too long.
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/13/04 05:31 AM
i agree, no vent and have the leds wrap around more, and count me in if price is close to $350
Posted By: vcontoursvt_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/13/04 07:46 AM
What about some low mcd LED's to wrap around the headlights to get the 'halo' effect of the BMW 5 series?

Just throwin' it out there to see if anyone else like this idea...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/13/04 09:13 PM
Originally posted by vcontoursvt:
What about some low mcd LED's to wrap around the headlights to get the 'halo' effect of the BMW 5 series?

Just throwin' it out there to see if anyone else like this idea...

You don't need LED's for that.. You can just put in the HALO headlight housings... It's been done a couple of times by people on here..

I would say, if the LED's are going to be easy to access and easy to replace, go for it.. But definitely put them back further, maybe in the same shape and location of the orange reflector that is in the stock headlight, or maybe just forward of that..

By the way, are there any updates on this?

Mark
Posted By: svt4b Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/14/04 07:46 AM
im with everybody! my lights are hazed over like crazy and ive been waiting for the alternative...here it is! the morette style is cool but this is new and sweet! i like the LEDs to wrap around but keep it euro...NOT RICE! im in for sure when these come out...especially for $350.
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/15/04 03:34 AM
I'm a little confused as far as the price. Would it be ~$350 for both lights or ~$350 each?
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/15/04 06:18 PM
i sure hope its 350 for both. otherwise to much.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/15/04 07:43 PM
i say work with dean and his ideas and maybe yall can come to an agreement and work something out so you both come out on top. Thats just me. Otherwise move the LEDs more towards the side and a bit lower. under $400 a set and i am in. I would definitely have to see the final before paying though. I like what dean is doing, whoever is done by summer definitely has me. If not ill just pick up both and have some fun
Posted By: Manfre Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/15/04 09:16 PM
Think theres any chance in hell youd be willing to do some for the pre 98s? Maybe something similiar with a single housing?

If its at all possible see what theyd do for the Pre 98s. Id be in for them. Well as long as they were less then $400 Id be in.

I have a set of old headlights I can send to you to give them to mess with if you want. One of them might be a lil melted near the edges and missing the clear cover. The other would be in somewhat good condition.

Id REALLY like to get a nice aftermarket headlight for the pre 98s. Everyones making for the post 98s but not the pre.

Why wont noone make anything for the pre 98s? What are we the red headed step children or something?
Posted By: jon_mason14 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/15/04 09:29 PM
Quote:

If its at all possible see what theyd do for the Pre 98s. Id be in for them. Well as long as they were less then $400 Id be in.

What he said.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/15/04 10:07 PM
I am looking to make a set for the pre98's. Its basically gonna be modded stock headlights with projectors and a clear headlight glass to make it look stock
The problem is manufacturing the headlight glass at reasonable cost... Hopefully I'll be making a post about this and details in the upcoming weeks if it all goes well
Posted By: jon_mason14 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/16/04 12:34 AM
I hope so too. I hate the stock lights.
Posted By: enigma11211 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/16/04 04:59 AM
if it's a resonable price, i'm interested
plz gimme a shout mike11211@hotmail.com
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 12:49 AM
I sent a picture of the Morette lights to my guy. He says it is possible, but he did not give me a price. I am a little sorry for jumping the gun here, but I got excited when someone said they could make them. I was on vacation all last week, so I will try to iron something out with them this week. I am going to take a poll about the vent. It is pretty mixed here so vote if you have an opinion. I could go either way so it is up to you guys.

Which do you prefer. The vent would probably not be functional.
Vent
No Vent

Posted By: Sarge43 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 05:10 AM
First that vent looks like a nostril stuck out there, yuk. The only problem I see with the led's is if one croaks how hard is it going to be to replace it. I agree that they should be moved around the side more and increased in number. Over all it's a good looking unit, even they won't fit my Tique.

P.S. That vent (nostril) spoils the smooth look of the front end, whether it's functional or not.

P.P.S. I think if you check having park lights and turn signals is federally mandated.
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 06:42 PM

this is a sketch of what i am working on. the morette styled lights with a vent, a string of LEDs for the signals that run along an eyebrow. i like it. just waiting for my foam to arrive.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 06:50 PM
Now THAT'S a pretty sweet idea Mikey.. I think if the vent doesn't stick out so much like a sore thumb then it wouldn't be a bad idea.. And I definitely like the idea of the LED's wrapping around like an eyebrow..

Mark
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 06:57 PM

this is a sketch of what i am working on. the morette styled lights with a vent, a string of LEDs for the signals that run along an eyebrow. i like it. just waiting for my foam to arrive.

Would the vent on the drivers side line up with the factory ducting, creating a "ram-air" effect This is one GREAT idea Mike, hope it all works out, you could be wealthy in no time
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 07:03 PM
thanks guys. roger, i think the vent would just be another way to try and reduce under hood temps. i think "ram air" is really just a pipe dream. i am not trying to get wealthy off of these things rather it is just a cool little project. i dont even own a post 98.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/21/04 10:44 PM
Quote:

. i am not trying to get wealthy

I know your not Mike, but I was just sayin' that because if they turnout nice, everyone is going to want one Anything like this is going to get alot of attention, especially if the price can stay in the $300-$400 range
Posted By: KarlosSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/22/04 04:11 AM

looks good to me mikey! i'm in fo sho---a
Posted By: svt4b Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/22/04 06:59 AM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:

Would the vent on the drivers side line up with the factory ducting, creating a "ram-air" effect

as good of an idea that is...wouldnt that be an issue with rain im in hawaii and it rains all the time out here. just a thought....however i like the sketch from mikey and although im not partial to the vent, if its somewhat sedate and that eyebrow turns out...it will be sick and i will still be in. keep up the good work
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/22/04 10:19 PM
Originally posted by parkedcar:
I like the idea but if dean is going to stick with his plans, i will be going with him. If not, then obviously you will be the only other option. I am not a fan of the LED holes at all though. i dont think it goes with the car. also i think that they should be more to the side rather than crammed up front because that leaves too much dead space on the sides. Thats just my oppinion though.
Oh, and are the Hellas a projector light or just a regular lamp? can wee see a pic of the lights you have in mind?

I talked to Dean the other day and this is what he said about the lights:

as far as the headlights. yes i am still going thru the process and its taking a lot longer than i thought it would, but i hope to have something in production by years end at the latest. we can do 1-offs, but thats way too expensive and i know nobody wants to dump too much $ on a set of lights.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/23/04 11:28 AM
Well, there could be a little slit in the bottom to let rain water run off if you hooked up some type of ram-air I think its great that we have (2) long-time CEG-ers working on headlights, good job guys
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 01:21 PM
update?

-the impatient kid
Posted By: SVT24 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 06:33 PM

I am in once I can see a finished product. I have been watching this post for a while and it is starting to look more and more promising.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 08:28 PM

Take a look behind the headlight:

I have circled the area the vent would be - nothing but metal behind it.

To the left? Fuse box, thick bundle of wiring and battery.

IMHO, I don't see how this vent is going to do much good other than collect dirt and dust into your engine bay - there would be minimal to no gain from having a vent in the headlight.

Also, adding the vent only complicates the design (turn signal relocation and wiring) and drives up the price.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 08:30 PM
Update:

Sorry for the delay.

The design has been totally changed to what works. The headlights will be replicas of the exsisting Morette style. They will be changed to fit the Hella 90mm lights. I am sending OEM lights and the Hella lights to my manufacturer as soon as I can get them. Everybody is out of stock of the Hella 90mm and I still do not have a set of OEM Headlights. The Turnaround should be less than 3 months. Optimisticall, I hope to have headlight assemblies within a month. You all know what the Morettes look like and from reading I think it will be the easiest to sell. This is costing me alot of money, and I have to sell a crap load of these to break even. Hella has not been very helpful on bringing the price down on the lights, so these will be half the cost. These will fit American 98+ Ford Contours.

P.S. Any help with OEM headlights or Hella 90mm would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 10:47 PM
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

Also, adding the vent only complicates the design (turn signal relocation and wiring) and drives up the price.

Uhm the vent (functional or not) and turn signal relocation is what made the headlight something to buy, otherwise its just the same morette headlight.
yes, but it's not like we have morette lights to begin with.
I like both ideas, but I think I would be more inclined to purchase the normal ones IMO
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 11:26 PM
Originally posted by DimitriPopov:

Uhm the vent (functional or not) and turn signal relocation is what made the headlight something to buy, otherwise its just the same morette headlight.

And just that same morette headlight is what everyone wants. The vent made it different, but any change from the OEM headlight is for the better IMO.
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 11:47 PM
Take a look behind the headlight:

To the left? Fuse box, thick bundle of wiring and battery.

yeah, there isnt a "direct" shot back to the filter but i was aiming for the right side of that larger hole with the projector pushed to the left. if the battery isnt there like on the car that i am looking at it would create quite a cooling breeze to the filter. all that aside, like i have said before i am not expecting to put these into production. it is just a cool little project.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 11:50 PM

Uhm and we can buy the Morette headlights for Contours where?

The design has been totally changed to what works. The headlights will be replicas of the exsisting Morette style.

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/29/04 11:53 PM
yeah, there isnt a "direct" shot back to the filter but i was aiming for the right side of that larger hole with the projector pushed to the left. if the battery isnt there like on the car that i am looking at it would create quite a cooling breeze to the filter. all that aside, like i have said before i am not expecting to put these into production. it is just a cool little project.

Yeah, I know mikeyboy - I wasn't trying to knock your creativity.

I think if the battery were relocated and the wires tied down out of the way, it would work effectively.
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 12:01 AM
really man i took no offense. your cool. besides, being critical drives ideas and solutions. the process that i have for creating these might lead to some real pre 98 lights at least for my car.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 01:09 AM
Originally posted by thejms:

And just that same morette headlight is what everyone wants. The vent made it different, but any change from the OEM headlight is for the better IMO.

I agree plus it doesn't look like Mikey boy is looking to mass manufacture. I'd be glad to have "just another morette headlight". Anything (almost) is better than what we have now. I'm looking forward to seeing what 98LXSESport comes up with and what kind of money he's talking.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 05:22 AM
Update:

Sorry for the delay.

The design has been totally changed to what works. The headlights will be replicas of the exsisting Morette style. They will be changed to fit the Hella 90mm lights. I am sending OEM lights and the Hella lights to my manufacturer as soon as I can get them. Everybody is out of stock of the Hella 90mm and I still do not have a set of OEM Headlights. The Turnaround should be less than 3 months. Optimisticall, I hope to have headlight assemblies within a month. You all know what the Morettes look like and from reading I think it will be the easiest to sell. This is costing me alot of money, and I have to sell a crap load of these to break even. Hella has not been very helpful on bringing the price down on the lights, so these will be half the cost. These will fit American 98+ Ford Contours.

P.S. Any help with OEM headlights or Hella 90mm would be greatly appreciated.

I can donate the OEM headlights for some sort of compensation, whether it's test fitting the Original Ones or getting a pair in place. . .

As for the Hella 90mm. . .buy 'em from Susquehanna, rally lights!
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 12:52 PM
Sorry for the stupid question guys but will these headlights work off of the stock wiring harness or will they require a balast to fire them?
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 03:17 PM
as far as the vents go...why couldn't you use some false covers such as the ones on the newer grand am gt hood scoops...? Pontiac has been doing that for years. I like the look of the vents false or not...$.02
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:
Sorry for the stupid question guys but will these headlights work off of the stock wiring harness or will they require a balast to fire them?

They will work withthe stock wiring.

I wish I could offer some sort of compensation for the donor pair of headlights. All I can offer is to buy them for a reasonable price. I don't think you guys realise how much these are going to cost me. I am not trying to make money here, but I am also not trying to lose money. I am going to charge everyone the cost for me to make them. I will be paying just as much for my set as everyone else.

Any help from borrowing a pair of headlights would be greatly appreciated. I can return them after my tools are made.
Posted By: SVT24 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 05:53 PM
I don't think you guys realise how much these are going to cost me. I am not trying to make money here, but I am also not trying to lose money. I am going to charge everyone the cost for me to make them. I will be paying just as much for my set as everyone else.

Any help from borrowing a pair of headlights would be greatly appreciated. I can return them after my tools are made.

I do not have a pair of headlamps to lend, but if I can help in any way let me know. I will do my best to help in any way to get something like this off the ground to help.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/30/04 07:22 PM
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:

They will work withthe stock wiring.

I wish I could offer some sort of compensation for the donor pair of headlights. All I can offer is to buy them for a reasonable price. I don't think you guys realise how much these are going to cost me. I am not trying to make money here, but I am also not trying to lose money. I am going to charge everyone the cost for me to make them. I will be paying just as much for my set as everyone else.

Well what exactly are you needing? Do you need the headlights in one piece? I have a spare set that the lenses are chopped off of that could be put back on ofcourse, but I won't need them after I get my Hightower lights put back together.. Let me know when you need them and if they will work if they are already taken apart.. Might just give them away!

Mark
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 03/31/04 06:02 AM
SSMUMICH00 has graciously offered to let me borrow his headlights for the molds. Now I am just waiting for the Hellas. I am on multiple waiting lists to get the high and low beam 90mm conversion lights. Everyone is backordered. If anyone knows someone who has a set in stock or for sell, I will pay cash yesterday. Some good news: I have found a distributor that will sell these a little cheaper, since I will be buying so many. That is assuming Hella can supply our demand. Now it is time to hurry up and wait.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/12/04 11:07 PM
So any good news on the headlights? Did you get SSMumich00's headlights yet? Find anything out about the Hella's?

Mark
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/12/04 11:20 PM
we're waiting on the hella's, as soon as he gets 'em, my lights are packaged and ready to go, AND SHIPMENT IS OUTTA Houston and on to OK.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/13/04 12:02 AM
NICE!! So he's just buying 1 set for now and making a test model correct? You'd think they could send out one friggin' set of lights.. What a business!

Mark
Posted By: johnnyblazed7697 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/13/04 04:54 PM
i want a set so when they ready let me know and i wanna see a pic of them when they done
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/13/04 07:42 PM
Originally posted by johnnyblazed7697:
i want a set so when they ready let me know and i wanna see a pic of them when they done

There won't be a memo sent out saying "hey they're done" so just keep an eye out for this thread..

Mark
Posted By: 97contourlover Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/13/04 09:09 PM
lighs look sweet to bad im pushing an 97 still, but hope to soon step up to an 00 whenever i find a more stable job.(for more than 6 months ) lol
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/14/04 05:22 AM
I think ssmumich00 pretty much covered it. I may have found a guy to get me a set of hellas ahead of all the rest. It is going to cost me twice as much, but I am going crazy waiting for these lights. I will definetly let you guys know when something happens.

In response to a question before. Conectors for the H9 bulbs are sold separately, but I will probably just sell them together since everyone will need them. The Hellas do not work with our OEM bulbs from what I understand. You will need to cut the OEM connectors and add the H9 connectors. Once I get a better idea about how these connectors work, I will address this further. Has anyone seen anyone else that sells these connectors besides susquehanna.com? I would just like to find the best price for us all.
Posted By: Manfre Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/14/04 08:32 PM
I think ssmumich00 pretty much covered it. I may have found a guy to get me a set of hellas ahead of all the rest. It is going to cost me twice as much, but I am going crazy waiting for these lights. I will definetly let you guys know when something happens.

In response to a question before. Conectors for the H9 bulbs are sold separately, but I will probably just sell them together since everyone will need them. The Hellas do not work with our OEM bulbs from what I understand. You will need to cut the OEM connectors and add the H9 connectors. Once I get a better idea about how these connectors work, I will address this further. Has anyone seen anyone else that sells these connectors besides susquehanna.com? I would just like to find the best price for us all.

Would it be possible to fit the Hellas in a 97 tour headlight assembly?

If so then Id be willing to try my hand at fabricating a pair for my car. Bondo is my friend and Im pretty sure that once I got the Hellas mounted in the headlight I could just fill the empty space with bondo so it looks somewhat like the ones that are being made for the 98+ tours.

Unless I can somehow use the stock lense with the hella lights. I dont think itd really work out though cause they arent clear headlights and there would probably be a lot of distortion. But I could router out a hole for the hellas to use similiar to that of the Integra lights. Then sand down the part of the lense that is just used as filler and paint it black or the body color.

I would say Ill manufacture them for everyone, but Im not a huge machine shop or anything.

What do the pre 98 tour owners think of this? I already know how to take the lense off the headlights as Ive done this about half a dozen times (3 sets of headlights) and currently have a set of old ones I can play with that Im not using.

Gears are turning.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/17/04 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by johnnyblazed7697:

There won't be a memo sent out saying "hey they're done" so just keep an eye out for this thread..

Mark

I know where I'll be checking daily. Pant, pant, pant
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/17/04 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Manfre:

If so then Id be willing to try my hand at fabricating a pair for my car. Bondo is my friend and Im pretty sure that once I got the Hellas mounted in the headlight I could just fill the empty space with bondo so it looks somewhat like the ones that are being made for the 98+ tours.

Unless I can somehow use the stock lense with the hella lights. I dont think itd really work out though cause they arent clear headlights and there would probably be a lot of distortion. But I could router out a hole for the hellas to use similiar to that of the Integra lights. Then sand down the part of the lense that is just used as filler and paint it black or the body color.

I would say Ill manufacture them for everyone, but Im not a huge machine shop or anything.

What do the pre 98 tour owners think of this? I already know how to take the lense off the headlights as Ive done this about half a dozen times (3 sets of headlights) and currently have a set of old ones I can play with that Im not using.

Gears are turning.

anything is possible with enough work. If I can sell enough of the 98+, my next logical step is the -98. they look simpler to manufacturer, but I would still need 150 orders. That is a crap load of people willing to drop some dough on headlights.
Posted By: 99CSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/18/04 01:18 AM
You can mark me down. When you say hella's, are they the projector style or the conventional style? Also, how many people are getting the lights so far? I really hope those lights get made! I've been wanting to replace mine for a while now!
Sean
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/19/04 03:07 AM
I think everyone is waiting for a picture of the finished product before they commit. The Hellas are the Projectors. If you wanted to pay for the HIDs, they would also fit.
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/19/04 04:20 PM
yup, i'm just waiting for finished product pictures to see if i want in or not.
Posted By: Manfre Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/19/04 10:15 PM

Gears are turning.

anything is possible with enough work. If I can sell enough of the 98+, my next logical step is the -98. they look simpler to manufacturer, but I would still need 150 orders. That is a crap load of people willing to drop some dough on headlights.

150 orders!!
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/20/04 02:22 AM

150 orders!!

Good luck! It'll be extremely difficult to get that!
Posted By: LoudnQuik Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/20/04 02:56 AM
LMAO 150? You can't even get 20 for mirko splitters.

Do you think this is clubsi.com
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/20/04 04:49 AM
I think it will be easeier to take the 98+ lights to market. I also have a 98 so they work for me. I am planning on selling 30+ to CEG users. I will be selling them on a website for considerably more money to the rest of the public. If I thought I could sell many 97-, I would start the process now. Unfortunately, I will probably make something for a Camaro or Accord (something more marketable). To be honest, I have concerns about selling enough for the 98+ to cover my costs. If not, I will have to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on with my life. Like I said before, I am commited to getting these lights out ASAP.
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/20/04 05:11 AM
I think it will be easeier to take the 98+ lights to market. I also have a 98 so they work for me. I am planning on selling 30+ to CEG users. I will be selling them on a website for considerably more money to the rest of the public. If I thought I could sell many 97-, I would start the process now. Unfortunately, I will probably make something for a Camaro or Accord (something more marketable). To be honest, I have concerns about selling enough for the 98+ to cover my costs. If not, I will have to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on with my life. Like I said before, I am commited to getting these lights out ASAP.

Personally I dont think you will have an issue selling the 98+. Ebay is your friend, and make sure you advertise you site I know if all goes well I will spread the word and I am sure other CEGers will to.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/20/04 06:12 AM

Gears are turning.

I have the left side almost completely built for a pre-98, turn signal included. It is home to a set of lowbeam and highbeam Hella 90mms (they are mounted onto an aluminum plate, not the cover). The turn signals are 90mm too, but they are modified pieces that I had lying around (`67 Dodge pickup for those who know what they look like), they are next to the grille. The park lamp is along the bottom, 1/4" tall, LEDs there. The original parklamp, is now home to the DRL module, it is going to be a 5w Luxeon star. If I can find the digicam, I will post a pic.

So see, the pre-98s arent doing too shabby, considering we already have a piece mocked up for a car.

Oh, 98LXSESport, just a heads up. Putting the lamps into tubes like that, you will need to modify the cutoff shield inside the lowbeam to keep the light pattern from reflecting off of the tube. Pushing the lamps as far forward as possible will help with (if not eliminate since the 98+ lamps are bigger) this problem. Just figured you would like to know before you have people mentioning that they are experiencing glare.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/21/04 03:16 AM
Heads up, I gave the headlights to Rich, things are a go since he has the Hellas. . .Morette's here we come.
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/21/04 03:32 AM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
Heads up, I gave the headlights to Rich, things are a go since he has the Hellas. . .Morette's here we come.

YAY!
Posted By: enigma11211 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/23/04 01:23 AM
when do you think these headlights will be done?
Posted By: SVT24 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/23/04 12:06 PM
Originally posted by enigma11211:
when do you think these headlights will be done?

They are working on them, there is not exact time frame for these.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 04/26/04 04:04 AM
I do not know how long the process takes to go from idea to headlight. I think the B/S is over and we are down to the nitty gritty. I wish I had more news, but I will keep everyone posted.
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 05/25/04 05:12 AM
Any updates?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 05/25/04 05:16 AM
Originally posted by thejms:
Any updates?

Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 05/26/04 06:38 PM
I emailed my guy today to get on his ass for taking so long. He has had the OEMs for three weeks now and he emails me with questions sometimes, but I still have no idea when to expect them. He sure does not mind takeing my money though. I think my next update will be with some pictures.

I have found a Hella dealer who can sell the lights we are going to use cheaper than ralleylights.com. It is not much cheaper, but twenty bucks is twenty bucks. I think he is in town too, so I will not have to pay extra for shipping. That means I get to pass the savings on to you.

Keep your eyes peeled guys and gals. I hope to have lights on cars before July. I still do not have a price yet because I do not know exactly how much it will cost in the end.
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 05/26/04 07:55 PM
I emailed my guy today to get on his ass for taking so long. He has had the OEMs for three weeks now and he emails me with questions sometimes, but I still have no idea when to expect them. He sure does not mind takeing my money though. I think my next update will be with some pictures.

I have found a Hella dealer who can sell the lights we are going to use cheaper than ralleylights.com. It is not much cheaper, but twenty bucks is twenty bucks. I think he is in town too, so I will not have to pay extra for shipping. That means I get to pass the savings on to you.

Keep your eyes peeled guys and gals. I hope to have lights on cars before July. I still do not have a price yet because I do not know exactly how much it will cost in the end.

Shibby....keep it up!
Posted By: Manfre Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 05/26/04 08:56 PM

Even though Im not in on the GB, and wont be unless these were for pre-98s , but Im extremely interested in seeing what the final product is gonna be.

I love seeing how cool parts for the newer tours look. Then get extremely envious of the post-98 drivers.
Posted By: Braden Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 05/27/04 09:14 PM
awesome, i can't wait!
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 06/09/04 09:58 PM
Any news yet?????
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 06/19/04 04:49 AM
I wanted to let you guys know that this has not been abandoned. I am in deep. I have an engineer doing the design work and he expects it to take 400+ hours. I know I was hopeing to get these out by now, but I want these to be the real deal. The only updates I get are send more money. I get some design timelines, but I wish I could give you guys something more concrete. I hope no one has given up. I am still going to make this happen. Thanks guys.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 06/24/04 02:50 AM
Thanks for the update. I know I will keep checking back for any new info.
Posted By: svtim_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 06/28/04 05:26 AM
when ever this happens i hope i have the funds to buy them great work keep it up.(just another hopefull buyer)
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/06/04 02:39 PM
I have some good news. Drafting is done and going through final checks. I think we can have some kind of drawing in the next few days. I am giddy with anticipation. lol. I will be starting a new thread with the new pics. Keep you eyes open.
Posted By: thejms Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/06/04 03:56 PM
Sweet!
Posted By: Dtox Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/06/04 05:57 PM
best news of the day.
Posted By: R_G Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/06/04 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Dtox:
best news of the day.

Posted By: parkedcar Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/06/04 08:11 PM
well since i need 2 new headlights, i think i will get some junkers until these are done....cant wait!!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/20/04 10:01 PM
Any word on these yet? I'm not getting impatient here or anything That drawing would be great!

Mark
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/22/04 06:56 PM
Pictures are comeing. Takeing longer than I thought, but I have been assures that they are comeing soon.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/23/04 01:10 PM
Pictures are comeing. Takeing longer than I thought, but I have been assures that they are comeing soon.

That's cool. Three monthes is a long time to wait, but it sure beats some of the other GB's out there. I'll keep checking-definately interested.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/25/04 12:53 AM
Believe me guys. If I thought they were going to take this long, I would have waited to mention them. The engineers and I are not communicating as well as I had hoped. I would like to give more of an update, but this is where I am at. Realisticly, I am looking for something within 2 weeks. I hope Monday, but I will hold out for a couple of Mondays.
Posted By: 95TourSleeper Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/25/04 05:24 AM
They do look nice, but what about us with the pre 98's? We need cooler lights too especially with how trashed they get!
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/25/04 10:24 PM
Believe me guys. If I thought they were going to take this long, I would have waited to mention them. The engineers and I are not communicating as well as I had hoped. I would like to give more of an update, but this is where I am at. Realisticly, I am looking for something within 2 weeks. I hope Monday, but I will hold out for a couple of Mondays.

NO sweat man when you're making a one of a kind new item there's bound to be design problems and whatnot. No one has committed any money like the Kaotic GB so it's not like anyone is out anything. No pressure, I think everyone is just seriously excited is all. Keep on truckin.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 07/26/04 02:07 PM

It takes time to get things right. It ok I will be all over these when they come out.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/12/04 07:10 PM

BUMP BUMP!
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/13/04 02:14 AM
FYI...Still working on them. I have seen some pictures, but they are not ready to show yet. They do not have the cavities right yet and I would hate to give anyone the wrong idea. I wish I had a better time frame, but I am at the mercy of the engineers. You will hear from me with any updates.
Posted By: Unlead Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/13/04 02:43 AM
Sounds good to me as well .
Posted By: CoolBlackSE99 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/18/04 03:28 AM
I know I can't wait to see them! (I hope I can afford a set)
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/20/04 08:28 PM
I'd be down for a set, would just like to see a (real) picture of them, maybe one was posted but was to slow to go through each page. Keep me informed, im 90% sure im done for a set.
Posted By: SVT4Door Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/26/04 09:44 AM
So is there any word on these yet. Just curious.
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/26/04 04:06 PM
None to speak of yet. We are going back and forth about the design work.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/26/04 04:24 PM
Can I ask what you are going back and forth about? Believe me, Im not questioning you at all. Are they trying to change the design of the headlight itself, or trying to go away from the design of the Morette? Where does the confrontation lie? Ive been keeping my eye out for this and can't wait to see this become reality.

Mark
Posted By: SVT4Door Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/26/04 08:32 PM
i just can't wait until they come out. i'm tired of the chrome headlights. so i'll be ready when your headlights come out.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/26/04 08:36 PM
call me a party pooper, but I'll believe it when I see it...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/26/04 09:18 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
call me a party pooper

Party Pooper! Anything else you'll give me permission to call you?
Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/28/04 08:59 PM
When I say we are going back and forth, I mean there is a communication gap on this project. I tell a guy what I want. He tells his guy who tell the engineers. Along the way, ideas are interpreted differently. Pictures are seen differently. To top this off, the engineers have to work within specifications because of many reasons such as durability, heat, wall thickness, strength, etc...When they send me something to look at, I have to tell them what is wrong with it. At first it was very frustrating because it seemed like no one was listening. Now we are atleast getting close to the same page. Now my frustration is due to how long it is takeing. I wish I would have known a few things before I started this so it could have gone smoother, but live and learn, right? The people who are unbelievers are entitled to their opinion. Personally, if this does not work it is a great failure on my part. I have way too much in this to let it go.
Posted By: Pale Horse Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/28/04 09:20 PM
These sorts of thngs take some time...Especially when you are starting from scratch...I understand the frustrations very well as ive owned/ran my own performance shop that did a lot of custom fabricating...and yes there is always some work or design that has to be outsourced to people who are "experts" at their trade in order for things to come out looking better than a bag of ass...Keep up the fight and good luck!!!!
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/28/04 10:09 PM
Good luck, I would LOVE to have a set of these.
Posted By: 10mmFeeder Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/29/04 01:31 AM
When I say we are going back and forth, I mean there is a communication gap on this project. I tell a guy what I want. He tells his guy who tell the engineers. Along the way, ideas are interpreted differently. Pictures are seen differently. To top this off, the engineers have to work within specifications because of many reasons such as durability, heat, wall thickness, strength, etc...When they send me something to look at, I have to tell them what is wrong with it. At first it was very frustrating because it seemed like no one was listening. Now we are atleast getting close to the same page. Now my frustration is due to how long it is takeing. I wish I would have known a few things before I started this so it could have gone smoother, but live and learn, right? The people who are unbelievers are entitled to their opinion. Personally, if this does not work it is a great failure on my part. I have way too much in this to let it go.

[censored] guys, it sound like he is pretty committed. I say be patient, it may take some time, but the end result will be well worth it.
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/29/04 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Silverbullet98:
These sorts of thngs take some time...Especially when you are starting from scratch...I understand the frustrations very well as ive owned/ran my own performance shop that did a lot of custom fabricating...and yes there is always some work or design that has to be outsourced to people who are "experts" at their trade in order for things to come out looking better than a bag of ass...Keep up the fight and good luck!!!!

From things like this I've learned that if I ever try to tackle a similar project, I won't tell anyone 'til it's done. I'm not trying to knock you (98LXSESport) for telling people what you're doing though. I give you major kudos for taking on a project like this. On a lighter note, Silverbullet98, you really made me chuckle picturing a "bag of ass". I may have to start using that phrase .
Posted By: SVT4Door Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/29/04 08:27 AM
I think what RT was getting at is that no one has had luck making new headlights for our cars. Its nothing personal. I think with someone that is committed it can be done. I for one can not wait and hope they get done soon. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/29/04 08:33 PM
IMHO, i think he need some encourage from fellow ceg-er's to even start something like this. this project is hard, hell im a genius and i cant even get my project light open. If you think its taking too long stop looking at the post and wait for pm's about the finished product. like said above you have to be patient when anything custom is being done.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/29/04 08:48 PM
Quote:

this project is hard, hell im a genius and i cant even get my project light open.

Hmmm, not exactly a genius then huh?
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 01:10 AM
Why not just take the easy route and have a place make a batch of black reflector headlights(i.e. Hightowers)? As hard as it is to tear them apart, paint them, and get them back together without them looking like a$$, there would be more than enough people willing to buy them(myself included). I would think all the shop would have to do is make molds from existing parts(thus keeping the price down), correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Jason43:
Why not just take the easy route and have a place make a batch of black reflector headlights(i.e. Hightowers)? As hard as it is to tear them apart, paint them, and get them back together without them looking like a$$, there would be more than enough people willing to buy them(myself included). I would think all the shop would have to do is make molds from existing parts(thus keeping the price down), correct me if I'm wrong.

Jason, I think the tough part about that is being able to reseal 100% of them properly or else you'll end up with another Milan Motorsports fiasco....
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 04:57 AM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Quote:

this project is hard, hell im a genius and i cant even get my project light open.

Hmmm, not exactly a genius then huh?

LOL!
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 11:33 AM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Originally posted by Jason43:

Jason, I think the tough part about that is being able to reseal 100% of them properly or else you'll end up with another Milan Motorsports fiasco....

I don't mean have a place tear appart the old lights and paint them, but make completely new lights(using the stockers to make molds). I just think this sounds alot more realistic and would have better chance of actually seeing production than a completely new design.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 02:05 PM
hehe read this post fully. Might have to say that im in too....Good Luck.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 08:03 PM
Already have hightowers.....still want morettes
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/30/04 08:12 PM
Originally posted by {Kontofosho}:
Already have hightowers.....still want morettes

You and me both!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/31/04 06:46 PM
I'm real interested in those headlights. I got water in one of mine while wet-sanding and now it's all foggy on the inside. I'd hate to have to take them apart but if I do than I might as well just paint them and forget the new lights all together. I know it cant be easy for a regular guy to put something into production but do we have an updated status?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 08/31/04 08:09 PM

Here is your most up to date status
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/15/04 02:56 PM
Just noticed this post is still in my favorites....guessing it died :-\...no morettes? aww hehe
Posted By: tropictour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/18/04 01:35 AM
Originally posted by BigT:
Just noticed this post is still in my favorites....guessing it died :-\...no morettes? aww hehe

I hope not I really want a set after seeing the other contour with them in another post. Please dont give up!
-tropictour
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/18/04 06:10 AM
Originally posted by tropictour:

I hope not I really want a set after seeing the other contour with them in another post. Please dont give up!
-tropictour

Posted By: R_G Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/18/04 03:55 PM

-tropictour

Posted By: 98LXSESport Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/20/04 02:43 AM
I do not want to get anyone's hopes up just yet, but I am supposedly going to have complete plans by Tuesday. Upon getting these, I will post some pics and get your feedback. I will probably start a new thread so keep a look out. Please be patient if it takes longer. You have no idea how stressed I am about getting these out.
Posted By: TronX Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/20/04 02:55 AM
I do not want to get anyone's hopes up just yet, but I am supposedly going to have complete plans by Tuesday. Upon getting these, I will post some pics and get your feedback. I will probably start a new thread so keep a look out. Please be patient if it takes longer. You have no idea how stressed I am about getting these out.

LOL...If it was easy we would all have are own light mods for sale.

Do you think something like this would fit a mercury mystique 98 GS?

I've been thinking of painting mine and cutting in real glass because this yellowing plastic sucks!
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/20/04 03:57 AM

I feel you dood...no rush from me
Posted By: tropictour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/20/04 05:48 AM
Take your time man. I just didnt want the thread to die. I know that originality takes time. I'll be looking for the update/new thread.
-tropictour
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 09/22/04 09:39 PM
Take your time man. I just didnt want the thread to die. I know that originality takes time. I'll be looking for the update/new thread.
-tropictour

Same here. At least you didn't get our hopes up and then say "it was too much trouble, screw it." We'll keep watching for your updates.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 10/07/04 01:21 PM
Just my monthly ahhh dangit bump . Still no word?
Posted By: tropictour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 10/07/04 01:57 PM
Yeah me too. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
-tropictour
Posted By: SmoothV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/02/04 02:48 PM
hehe...still no call?
Posted By: 818Contour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/02/04 03:28 PM
I want me some new headlights!
Posted By: aaron_soccer20 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/02/04 06:31 PM
me to!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/02/04 06:48 PM
Too late. I already got some Ebay specials. Just couldn't wait any longer, so this GB is of no interest to me any more.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/02/04 08:05 PM
Yeah me too. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
-tropictour

Posted By: jmgilman Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/07/04 06:05 PM
bump ?
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/07/04 07:57 PM
Hump?
Posted By: lowbudgetracing Re: Never going to See Headlights - 11/07/04 08:26 PM
rump
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Never going to See Headlights - 11/07/04 09:50 PM
lmao at thread title.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 12:50 AM

yeah what those guys said
why dont you pm one of use pre98 boys your contact so we can try to get something going??
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 04:00 PM
Get something going? Might want to see if the 98+ lights EVER come into production before contacting them. This has been going on for a while. An update would be nice though.

Mark
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 07:58 PM
This is going the way of the Movable Hood Scoop (aka dodo).
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 08:59 PM
Apparently nobody has noticed that I have already completed a set for the pre98s.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Never To Be Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 09:17 PM
I have changed the subject title accordingly .
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Apparently nobody has noticed that I have already completed a set for the pre98s.

Despite the fact that I have just purchased a set of replacements, I will likely buy a set of 98+ lights when you finish them.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 09:54 PM
This isnt my thread, thats why I didnt offer them up for sale.

However, I havent been working on a 98+ set because I dont have the time or the car/lamps to build them on.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 10:15 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

I will likely buy a set of 98+ lights when you finish them.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/08/04 10:26 PM
This is 98LXSESport's thread.. ExDelayed made a set of the Morettes for his personal pre-98.. We're all waiting in anticipation for 98LXSESport's update..

Mark

EDIT: His last post was 9/19, and that was in this thread. Looks like this has officially died out
Posted By: tropictour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/09/04 02:06 AM
I thought this was for the 98+ cars? I really would like to see them. One day....
-tropictour
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/09/04 03:16 AM
I thought this was for the 98+ cars? I really would like to see them. One day....
-tropictour

It was for the 98+ cars but there had been mention of the pre-98 kit following (like was mentioned in Milan's setup way back when).

If you want them, you could always follow my lead and build a set.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/09/04 03:19 AM

However, I havent been working on a 98+ set because I dont have the time or the car/lamps to build them on.

Well, if you ever have some free time & a wild hair to do some light modding, I'll offer up my old set of lamps. I'll even sand, polish, and Plast-x them up for ya!
Posted By: tropictour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/09/04 11:12 AM

Well, if you ever have some free time & a wild hair to do some light modding, I'll offer up my old set of lamps. I'll even sand, polish, and Plast-x them up for ya!

WERD!
-tropictour
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 11/09/04 06:41 PM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:

I will likely buy a set of 98+ lights when you finish them.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Posted By: SESportV Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/03/05 08:25 PM
just chekin for updates
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/03/05 09:16 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath.. If you notice, I posted in November that the original thread starter last posted back in September.. Consider this a lost cause..

Mark
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/04/05 03:25 AM

now now...before everyone goes crazy and runs around the room with their hair on fire...these are a set of mondeo morettes that i have just begun to try and mate to the rear of a contour headlight so there would have to be no further body modifications to get them to fit. i ultimatley want to remove the mondeo turn signal and replace it with a vent to the engine bay. the turn signal would then consist of a line of l.e.d.s reccessed into the "eyebrow" of the morettes. the final product would look a lot like my very first illustration of what i wanted to do...

we will see what happens.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/04/05 03:35 AM
mike

you da man!!!

good luck and keep us posted!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/04/05 04:54 AM
Posted By: tropictour Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/04/05 09:01 AM
Oh yeah! Man you are really coming through. Just when I thought there was no more hope for them you throw up those pics. When you make them fit I will be in line for a set. I think the LED's are gonna look sweet. Will they be amber LED's? Keep us posted.
-tropictour
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/04/05 10:39 PM
Holy Shat!!!!! Mikey, if you get these completed you can definately sign me up for a pair. Very nice work
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/04/05 11:44 PM
i dont know if i will start a GB for these. i will tell you what i am doing and give pics along the way but the GB trouble thing isnt worth it. sorry.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/05/05 01:23 AM
i dont know if i will start a GB for these. i will tell you what i am doing and give pics along the way but the GB trouble thing isnt worth it. sorry.

definetly, I couldn't do it either..too much work and if someones headlight doesnt come out right..yea..screwed
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/05/05 03:17 AM

I'd be interested in a How-to. I already bought some eBay headlights, but those would get my consideration - especially if I could put some angel eyes in there...
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/07/05 01:57 PM
A chance for some nice aftermarket headlights , count me in, can some one get a workable link for the pics, or e-mail me some pics, cuse the links don't seem to work. But nonetheless, I'm in. when's it goin' down????
Posted By: parkedcar Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/07/05 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 3369:
A chance for some nice aftermarket headlights , count me in, can some one get a workable link for the pics, or e-mail me some pics, cuse the links don't seem to work. But nonetheless, I'm in. when's it goin' down????

I dont think its going down. Havent heard any real news in months

Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/10/05 07:15 PM
yeah, and I'm out my OEM headlights, this guy won't even email me back. . .I'm getting a little ticked, to say the least. . .
Posted By: ContourSVT98 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/10/05 09:46 PM
Been looking at this group buy for as far as I can remember but nothing has really happened. For the Morette headlights I would keep them the way they are and not mess around with a $700+ value headlights! Why dont you all try my blackened painted headlights group buy! Still going on and done already 3 pairs so far.

blackened headlights group buy

-dan
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/10/05 11:03 PM
yeah nothing going on in here.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/17/05 10:31 PM
yeah nothing going on in here.

thats cause its all happeneing here
Posted By: m!key Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/17/05 11:20 PM
ummmmmmmm, all the info in that thread has been provided before by the posters who have done the mod already. i didnt see the set of post 98 projector morettes with engine bay vents though. could you point those out? thanks.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/18/05 08:16 AM
ummmmmmmm, all the info in that thread has been provided before by the posters who have done the mod already. i didnt see the set of post 98 projector morettes with engine bay vents though. could you point those out? thanks.

still to be done
Posted By: ProudSVT_dup1 Re: Never Before Seen Headlights - 01/25/05 07:57 AM

Dood, keep up the good work man. I personally can't wait to see what you come up with. I know that you may not do a group buy, but if you do decide to sell, I'm in for a pair.
© CEG Archives