Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/26/04 10:00 PM
Thats right by popular request we are going to offer carbon fiber sail panels. We have already made up a template and one side to show you what it will look like. These are made of real carbon fiber (come clear coated), and are actualy an insert so oem fitment is maintained. What you will have to do is remove your factory sail panels(two screws), heat up the center portion that says Contour, pull it out, than glue the new piece in. Very simple. Scott I hope should be hosting pics here soon. Sorry Scott .

Pricing- $75 + shipping for a pair!!!
Shipping shouldn't be more than $20 at the most.
Posted By: R_G Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/26/04 10:07 PM
I am in - but wanna see the pix first
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/26/04 10:11 PM
hell yeah I'd be down for that, GUARANTEED FITMENT AND PICS, put me down. . .
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/26/04 10:21 PM
Yeah I want to see the pics first. Sounds hott.
I am in. Are you also going to be doing mirror bases?
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/26/04 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Antonio:
I am in. Are you also going to be doing mirror bases?

Possibly. But it wouldn't be for a while
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/27/04 12:10 AM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Thats right by popular request we are going to offer carbon fiber sail panels. We have already made up a template and one side to show you what it will look like. These are made of real carbon fiber (come clear coated), and are actualy an insert so oem fitment is maintained. What you will have to do is remove your factory sail panels(two screws), heat up the center portion that says Contour, pull it out, than glue the new piece in. Very simple. Scott I hope should be hosting pics here soon. Sorry Scott .

Here you go...

Scott
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/27/04 12:52 AM
I realy appreceate it Scott.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/27/04 02:23 AM
Thats right by popular request we are going to offer carbon fiber sail panels. We have already made up a template and one side to show you what it will look like. These are made of real carbon fiber (come clear coated), and are actualy an insert so oem fitment is maintained.

Can you show a close up pic of the edges?

The ones from last CF sail panel GB were junk. The edges all the way around were not clearcoated, resulting in an unfinished, ugly edge all the way around.

Thanks.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 02/27/04 04:51 AM
Great idea, I'll probably get them depending on your answers to me and SVT ST PETE. What kind of glue do you recommend that is waterproof and won't melt or damage the plastic or carbon fiber? AND----in conjunction with my color question (green) of the cowled hood, can these be in color also? I think the sails would kick a$$ in green. Thanks
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 01:50 AM
Any close up pics?
Posted By: R_G Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 01:53 AM
Could somebody enlighten me plz - what's the big puls of these over the stock ones? I can come up with 2 reasons, but not sure:
1. The ones offered thru GB are real CF and not fugazzi ones.
2. They don't have the "Contour" wording on 'em.

Am I right?
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 01:55 AM
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
Could somebody enlighten me plz - what's the big puls of these over the stock ones? I can come up with 2 reasons, but not sure:

Am I right?

1. Correct
2. Correct

Not much of a "plus" really, but...
Posted By: onosway Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 02:40 AM
Are the edges rolled? Or will they be rolled?
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 02:50 AM
So, besides a closer pic, the current questions are:

1. Are the edges finished (rolled, tapered, cleared, etc.)
2. Does the panel truly curve inward. The previous panels were perfectly straight and it didn't work.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 05:31 AM
Sorry guys. I am working on getting some more pics, both of the sail panels and hood. I hope to have more tomorrow, will see
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/02/04 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 1314:
So, besides a closer pic, the current questions are:

1. Are the edges finished (rolled, tapered, cleared, etc.)
2. Does the panel truly curve inward. The previous panels were perfectly straight and it didn't work.

Ok to answer a few questions, one the edges are going to be tapered and clear coated. You won't have to worry about these coming apart as they are vacummed sealed. They are straight pieces but as you can see in the pic, it fits perfect. I will have another pic tonight.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 02:06 AM
Those look great! I'm glad you guys finished before I got mine started.
I'll take a set if you don't mind!
Posted By: R_G Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 02:47 AM
Originally posted by chknhwk:
Those look great! I'm glad you guys finished before I got mine started.
I'll take a set if you don't mind!

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 03:41 AM
Originally posted by scottd60:

That pic looks like the edges are straightcut and uncoated - just like the ones from the last GB in which so many purchasers were so unhappy with.

Guess we'll have to wait for the closeup pics.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 03:48 AM
I'm in for a set for sure
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 04:13 AM
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
That pic looks like the edges are straightcut and uncoated - just like the ones from the last GB in which so many purchasers were so unhappy with.

Its a pretty minor bevel. Just remeber these are vacummed sealed, nothing gets in nothing gets out.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 04:18 AM

Its a pretty minor bevel. Just remeber these are vacummed sealed, nothing gets in nothing gets out.

No problem - but before I sink another $75 on CF sail panels, I want to be 100% sure these are top notch.

If you need pics hosted, shoot them over to me (PM sent).
Posted By: OpieContour7 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 04:34 AM
I'm going to put this on this post and the cf hood post.
I want the sail panels and the oem style hood. I have the money and just need to know how to get them from you.Please let me know how to do this. You can post back, but the best bet to get ahold of me it to e-mail me at immortalSVT@hotmail.com . Please let me know, I want these bad!!!!
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/03/04 11:22 PM
A closer pic:

It's hard to tell if the edges are clearcoated or not, but livin says the edges are sealed.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 01:17 AM
Thanks Pete. Do mind hosting a few of the other pics I sent. The edges are straight, they must have mis-understood what I was asking. But either way they won't come apart, vacuum sealed.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 05:03 AM
I am trying to get a few more pics up here soon
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 05:59 AM
Click on the link for more pictures. Sorry this was the only way I could do it for now. P.M. me for payment instructions. Or email bp.powell@comcast.net
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 06:04 AM
post the link!
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 07:37 AM
http://www.snapfish.com/selectphotophotoshare/AlbumID=11208180/AlbumCaption=contour+svt/t_=9005640/pns/selectphotophotoshare/AlbumID=11208180/AlbumCaption=contour+svt/t_=9005640

Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 03:37 PM
You need to log in to view the pics.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 03:55 PM
Click on the link for more pictures. Sorry this was the only way I could do it for now. P.M. me for payment instructions. Or email bp.powell@comcast.net

Open a FotoTime account web page it works great and it's free. If you want a the paid account it's like $15-$20 per year and they don't wipe your pic's every 30 days.

I can still post your pic's if you like ...remember I posted the hood and the sail panel pic's
Scott
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 04:51 PM
Damn the link worked before. I get a free photo account with comcast, but I guess its not for hosting pics because it doesn't give me a link. Scott I wil try you again. For some reason all the pics wouldn't forward to Pete. Scott check your email.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 06:35 PM
Damn the link worked before. I get a free photo account with comcast, but I guess its not for hosting pics because it doesn't give me a link. Scott I wil try you again. For some reason all the pics wouldn't forward to Pete. Scott check your email.

Here they are...

Scott
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 06:47 PM
They still look a lil weak. I think I will wait till someone else orders them and see what they have to say.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 07:24 PM
Originally posted by skrilla187:
They still look a lil weak. I think I will wait till someone else orders them and see what they have to say.

Posted By: R_G Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 08:02 PM

Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 08:11 PM
So someone order them!
Posted By: onosway Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 10:18 PM
I'll happily test fit them on my car - willing to sponsor my car?
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/04/04 11:53 PM

The edges do not look to be cut straight. Also, is the piece laying flat on that table? If so, then it will have the same problem that the older pieces had.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 12:03 AM

Is this a finished product ready to be sold/installed?
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 12:30 AM
That was the first one made up. A template was made from that piece. But yes thats pretty much a ready to go piece.

Ok you guys are going to have to explain the problem you had with the old ones followed by pics with a description. Were the other ones vacuumed sealed? If you want the piece to fit right its going to have a straight edge were needed. You can tell in the first pic that fitment is good. Telling me my product is not strong enough or looks "weak" without seeing it in person or explaining why you think so, is not good enough. Like noted before I have faith, if there products are good enough for BMW and Porsche owners and racecar drivers, than thats more than good enough for me. If these fall apart, than I will eat my words. I am willing to go the extra mile to make these to our liking and certanily want to make everyone happy. I wasn't even planing on making these in the first place. So basicly give me your input on whats going to make you feel comfortable with this product, I will do my best. I know its a stretch since you have been burned once, all I can is give it a try . Those who are serious(key word "Serious") about these can post thoughts here or send a PM if you like. I am easy going and open for suggestions. Thanks
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 12:36 AM
Can we see them installed? That would say a lot to me on how they fit. If done on a silver car, we could see that very well.

I'm not talking ish in any way, because if I thought they were crap.... I wouldn't even be giving it a second thought. Pics of them in better lighting may clear things up.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 01:14 AM
I'm also just trying to help you make sure the product will keep people happy. The only problem I have with the previous sail panels was the fit. The finish appears to be top notch. Clear coat was really good and the panel was nice and thick. But that is one of the problems. The thickness caused it to be raised over the surrounding panel.

The following pics were taken a few minutes ago in my dark garage. I wish I had more light or it was earlier in the day. If these don't help, I'll try to take some better pics tomorrow during the day. Also, my car has been driven for the past two weeks every day for the first time in years, so excuse the dirtiness. I'm embarrased to post pics of my dirty car since it's been quite sometime since it's seen rain. ANYWAY ,

1. This pic kind of shows the thickness of the sail panel. This also shows why it would be ideal if the edges were rounded or beveled. The straight edge doesn't look too great. If you look at a stock sail panel, it is rounded and not straight cut. Enter Exhibit A & B

2. Lay the panel on a flat surface. If it is perfectly flat with the surface, it won't work right. The door has a slight inward curve and the panel needs to match that. I guess if you use excessive amounts of glue and/or double-sided tape, it may work for a while. Otherwise, Exhibit C, D & E:

Additionally, if you look at the pic you have posted and Exhibit A, the panel you have doesn't have as smooth a cut on the rounded part. Looks a little bit choppy. But it could just be the pic.

Hope this helps. Again, I'm not ragging. Just trying to help you make this a success.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 01:20 AM
Yea the lighting isn't the best I know. But its hard to get a good picture of anything black and glossy. I will get a pic of them installed on the car as soon as possible. In case your un-aware, the first pic is the carbon sail panel mounted in the factory trim piece that bolts on to your car. So basicily you take your sail panel off, use heat to remove the fake carbon look piece that says Contour, and place new carbon piece in, with glue of course. Done. Once again the first pic shows the good fitment.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 01:28 AM
Thank you very much. Thats exactly what I needed to see. So your saying the thickness of the one you have is causing it to peel. It appears and I am not postive yet that my piece is thinner and appears to fit better orginaly, sounds like some think there to thin. But thats just a guess right now. I will forward those pics and get some feedback. What are you using for a glue. Thanks again
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 01:29 AM

Ah ha.....I thought so Then there were the newest pics that had them out of it.....so I spaced that

I feel ya on getting good lighting for the CF. I was taking pics indoors of my IMRC cover, and they all came out too dark

Better pics should clear things up

Edit: you know, 3M makes good double sided adhesive sheets that are very thin foam based. That may be a great option for these
Just an idea....
Posted By: sifourbyfoursi Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 01:42 AM
Hi guys, Ford in the UK sell these for approx £28 GBP, some with mondeo ( i know these are no good for you ) some with the word GHIA, ( its a trim option ) and plain ones like the one being made by yourselves.

i have a set of Mondeo Sails on My car.

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 02:18 AM
livin,
the thickness problems with the last GB have been mentioned.

One other issue is the clearcoat - not on top of the sail panel itself, but on the sides.

I have outlined the "sides" or "edge" of the CF panel - it is not clearcoated. It looks grayish and looks like trash.

Also, I am not trying to bad mouth the company's product - only voicing my concern that these will turn out like the last ones produced.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:
Ah ha.....I thought so Then there were the newest pics that had them out of it.....so I spaced that

I feel ya on getting good lighting for the CF. I was taking pics indoors of my IMRC cover, and they all came out too dark

Better pics should clear things up

Edit: you know, 3M makes good double sided adhesive sheets that are very thin foam based. That may be a great option for these
Just an idea....

I will try to get better pics. That 3m stuff sounds intresting. I will have to look into it. It seems as if the other panels problem could be solved maybe by better adhesive, and slightly thinner.

Originally posted by sifourbyfoursi:
Hi guys, Ford in the UK sell these for approx £28 GBP, some with mondeo ( i know these are no good for you ) some with the word GHIA, ( its a trim option ) and plain ones like the one being made by yourselves.

i have a set of Mondeo Sails on My car.

These sail panels here are made of real carbon fiber, not look alike. The contour has the same kind of look alike material.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 03:05 AM
livin,

One other issue is the clearcoat - not on top of the sail panel itself, but on the sides.

I have outlined the "sides" or "edge" of the CF panel - it is not clearcoated. It looks grayish and looks like trash.

"pic"

Also, I am not trying to bad mouth the company's product - only voicing my concern that these will turn out like the last ones produced.

Just making sure that you are aware that you outlined my pic with the StreetConcepts sail panels, and not livin's whose panel's edges do look similar.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 04:27 AM
livin,

Well let me ask you this. What is clear coating the sides have to do with this(is the carbon actualy seperating from the resin). Clear coating the trashy gray is just going to make it glossy trashy gray. My panels appear thinner and are flush mounted with the oem mounting. So you do not even see the sides. I am not following you there .

You guys had me realy confused about your concerns. 1314& Pete thanks for clearing things up a bit. The way they were being described before was not at all what I thought you were talking about. Keep the comments coming
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 05:37 AM
livin,

Well let me ask you this. What is clear coating the sides have to do with this(is the carbon actualy seperating from the resin). Clear coating the trashy gray is just going to make it glossy trashy gray. My panels appear thinner and are flush mounted with the oem mounting. So you do not even see the sides. I am not following you there .

You guys had me realy confused about your concerns. 1314& Pete thanks for clearing things up a bit. The way they were being described before was not at all what I thought you were talking about. Keep the comments coming

Clearcoated trashy gray is better than non-clearcoated trashy gray because:

1. the surface is shiny and clear and if the sides are not, there is a contrast. Better to have both shine.

2. Where the clearcoated surface meets the non-clearcoated sides, mine have become brittle and crumbled in some places, leaving ugly "trails" of broken clearcoat all around the sail panel.

HTH
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 07:05 AM
Clearcoated trashy gray is better than non-clearcoated trashy gray because:

1. the surface is shiny and clear and if the sides are not, there is a contrast. Better to have both shine.

Well my point is you don't even see the sides. There flush mount. I don't see the contrast as being an issue.

2. Where the clearcoated surface meets the non-clearcoated sides, mine have become brittle and crumbled in some places, leaving ugly "trails" of broken clearcoat all around the sail panel.

HTH

No one has answered my question about the old style being vacuumed. That would solve that problem
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 03:34 PM
I'm still in for a set, I just need a little bit of time

I can see a difference between the old bad set that people hated and yours.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 04:06 PM
No one has answered my question about the old style being vacuumed. That would solve that problem

What is vacuumed?
Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 04:43 PM

What is vacuumed?

Vacuum sealed is really not the correct term. The correct term is Vacuum Bagged. Basically what happens is when the final CF and epoxy has been laid into the mold, a process called "Vacuum Bagging" is done. Vacuum bagging basically changes the atmospheric pressure of the CF and epoxy while it's in the mold. To vacuum bag, different layers of removable materials are layed on the CF and epoxy and then air sealed to the mold. Then a vacuum is attached to the last layer and all of the air is sucked out, creating a different atmospheric pressure. This helps spread the epoxy more evenly and compact all of the layers of CF. Making the final product stronger.

Vacuum bagging is by far the really only way to make anything good out of CF.

--Matt(Doing his own CF projects)

Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mmars:
Vacuum sealed is really not the correct term. The correct term is Vacuum Bagged. Basically what happens is when the final CF and epoxy has been laid into the mold, a process called "Vacuum Bagging" is done. Vacuum bagging basically changes the atmospheric pressure of the CF and epoxy while it's in the mold. To vacuum bag, different layers of removable materials are layed on the CF and epoxy and then air sealed to the mold. Then a vacuum is attached to the last layer and all of the air is sucked out, creating a different atmospheric pressure. This helps spread the epoxy more evenly and compact all of the layers of CF. Making the final product stronger.

Vacuum bagging is by far the really only way to make anything good out of CF.

--Matt(Doing his own CF projects)

Yes thank you. I thought saying vacuum sealed would better help get the message across. So that brings me to my question again, were the other ones vacuum bagged?
Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 06:32 PM
No they weren't. He just cut them out of a sheet of CF.

--Matt
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 06:40 PM
Brett,

I think the point that everyone is trying to get across is to have a layer of CF wrap over and around the edge to the back side, after the epoxy cures sand the back smooth and then apply the clear coat. Flush mount or not this will create a finished edge and if it did show a little it would still be CF not the unfinished edge of the gray fiberglass or whatever the base is. The base material should be very thin so that is slightly flexible to allow it to follow the contour of the original panel. If it's too thick it will not flex and therefore will not sit in the opening properly. The outer dimensions of the base material should be undersized to allow for the additional CF and epoxy/clear coat on the outer edge to properly fit into place on the OEM panel. I think if your guys can get this done everyone will be very happy and you will sell a sh!t load!

Keep up the good work...your getting there

Scott
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 06:41 PM
Originally posted by mmars:
No they weren't. He just cut them out of a sheet of CF.

--Matt

Thank you again. Finaly someone answered the question. My rep from Carbon Werks will be posting here shortly, to help clear a few other things up. He is just waiting for his password. Thanks
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 06:48 PM
What Scott said.

Or better yet, have the edges tapered. I don't know if that would require too much work or not, but it would look best. The original panels are tapered and not straight cut and it makes a difference.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/05/04 07:09 PM
Brett,

I think the point that everyone is trying to get across is to have a layer of CF wrap over and around the edge to the back side, after the epoxy cures sand the back smooth and then apply the clear coat. Flush mount or not this will create a finished edge and if it did show a little it would still be CF not the unfinished edge of the gray fiberglass or whatever the base is. The base material should be very thin so that is slightly flexible to allow it to follow the contour of the original panel. If it's too thick it will not flex and therefore will not sit in the opening properly. The outer dimensions of the base material should be undersized to allow for the additional CF and epoxy/clear coat on the outer edge to properly fit into place on the OEM panel. I think if your guys can get this done everyone will be very happy and you will sell a sh!t load!

Keep up the good work...your getting there

Scott

Exactly.

Not having the clearcoat on the sides will result in crumbling/chipping clearcoat on the edges over time.
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/06/04 07:37 PM
Hey guys....
thank you for your patience. I finally logged in.

Anyhow, i see all your concerns and questions. As far as considering the edge, it will be thin enough that you won't be able to see the edge of the plate after it gets mounted. Also, it will have enoung flexibility that it will not lift up after using double sided tape or other adoptable adhesive. I will use between two to three layers of C/F fabric and vacume it so that it will work out fine without a problem. Perhaps there will be a problem, i am alway here in Cali to rectify the problem. You see, i am not in china or japen. My facility is located in LA, CA. the city of angel.

The photo was a protype and i see what you guys'concerns are now. If there is anymore concern or hesitation to place an order, let me know. I will do whatever i can to assist you.

thank you.
Posted By: Stoobie Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/06/04 08:59 PM

Definite buyers

1.Stuart King
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/06/04 10:43 PM
Wondering if the sides will be clearcoated or not...
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/06/04 11:06 PM
C/F sheet itself will be clear coated. The edge will not be rolled over. It is too thin to be rolled over. two layers of CF with vacumed would be about 1 mm thickness. What is the point of rolled over when you can not even see the edge?
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/06/04 11:10 PM
Okay, here we go with the buyers list now.

Definite buyers

1. Stuart King

As soon as we reach up to 10 we will start collect payment and shipping.

Let's get going guys.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 12:56 AM
Put me down for a set.
Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 01:20 AM
Exactly.

Not having the clearcoat on the sides will result in crumbling/chipping clearcoat on the edges over time.

Not necessarily. Vacuum bagging will help the sides form better. The only thing clearcoat will do is make it look prettier. I would much have a clearcoated side than a non-clearcoated side.

--Matt
Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 01:25 AM
Wondering if the sides will be clearcoated or not...

Pete, what Craig did was take pre-preg fabric, layer it, let it cure then cut out the sail panel shapes. If he would have used vacuum bagging technique, those layers would have been more compact. Less air pockets, etc.

--Matt
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 01:47 AM
Originally posted by STU:

Definite buyers

1. Stuart King
2. Phillip Scabo $75 paid in full (Mar. 07, 04)

Let's go guys
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 04:31 AM
i'm down for one. . . throw in some 3M tape as well, and I'm money. . .
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 04:38 AM
Originally posted by carbonwerks:

Definite buyers

1. Stuart King
3. ssmumich00

Let's go guys

Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 01:53 PM
I'm down for a set.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 04:10 PM

Am I right?

Can we see pics of the installed stock sail panel next to the prefabed ones installed to compare fit and finish?
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 06:20 PM

Definite buyers

1. Stuart King
3. ssmumich00
4. Chknhwk

Let's go guys

Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 06:57 PM
Are you just waiting on one more then shipping some out?
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/08/04 07:49 PM
Yes, i would like to have at least 10 orders. Since it is a small item. I would like to cut them out at all once if possible so that i could save time.
Posted By: carbonwerks Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/09/04 04:29 AM
anyone else
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/11/04 12:06 AM
bump
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/11/04 01:42 AM
that's it? ONLY 4 people? Come on. . .I think the fitment issues will be ok since it'll be thin enough to BEND and contour to the contour of our contours. . .

As long as it won't SNAP from being slightly bent, it's all good. . .
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/11/04 01:47 AM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
that's it? ONLY 4 people? Come on. . .I think the fitment issues will be ok since it'll be thin enough to BEND and contour to the contour of our contours. . .

As long as it won't SNAP from being slightly bent, it's all good. . .

Tell me about it. The fitment issues have been dealt with. I had a buch of people ask me to do this and none of them are in the GB yet. Whats the hold up. I don't mind extending it out a little but, is it going to be worth it?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/12/04 02:19 AM
Give a deadline, and I can tell you if I can get in this GB or not. It seems like bad timing for me, but depending on the deadline it might not be.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/12/04 09:45 PM

Definite buyers

1. Stuart King paid in full(Mar. 11, 04)

Let's go guys

Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/12/04 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
Give a deadline, and I can tell you if I can get in this GB or not. It seems like bad timing for me, but depending on the deadline it might not be.

Whats reasonable for you. Any one else here
Posted By: epattonm Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/12/04 11:15 PM
I love the idea of the true carbon fiber look, however, I do not see the justification for them. It's an expensive cosmetic 'mod' IMO.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/12/04 11:45 PM
Originally posted by epattonm:
I love the idea of the true carbon fiber look, however, I do not see the justification for them. It's an expensive cosmetic 'mod' IMO.

People paid the same for junk ones before. Its a reasonable price. But thanks for the info
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/13/04 04:14 AM
If I know when this is closing, I can say yay or ney
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/16/04 04:15 PM
bump

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/16/04 04:31 PM
Need to see the finished product first.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/16/04 07:02 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Need to see the finished product first.

. Did you check the first pics posted. Thats the final style. It was determinded that it is going to work just fine and should last a long time. Pm if your intrested.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/23/04 05:50 AM
BUMP!!
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/23/04 04:05 PM
still waiting? I thought this was done. . .dammit people hurry up, I already paid!!!
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED! - 03/23/04 04:08 PM
Yours and others that paid will be shipped out today or tomorrow . I have decided to close this group buy. Those that want any can buy from me for $85+ship. Thank you
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/23/04 04:14 PM
Did you check the first pics posted. Thats the final style.

Style? I want to se one finished.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/23/04 04:38 PM

Here you go...

Scott

Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/23/04 04:39 PM

Here they are...

Scott

Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/23/04 04:40 PM
I am not sure what else you want
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/24/04 02:45 PM
So the edges are gonig to be jagged like that then?
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Carbon fiber sail panels!!!!! - 03/24/04 04:04 PM
Looks like crap IMO, sorry.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED - 03/24/04 06:54 PM
Originally posted by todras:
So the edges are gonig to be jagged like that then?

They sit flush mounted right to the edge of the factory piece, no edge is visible once installed. They are vacumm bagged for good seal. So they won't fall apart. Also they are real thin and won't warp like the others. You will be able to see them in person soon. You will get a better idea.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED - 03/24/04 08:30 PM
Ah cool forgot you're in MI.
Posted By: Stoobie Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED - 04/13/04 01:50 PM
I just put on my sail panels and sweet, already had people come up to me and give complaments. so I am very happy.

Thanks Btett.

....Now where the hell is my hood. J/K
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED - 04/13/04 03:41 PM
Good to hear. Abybody looking for a set can still get them from me, for $80 shipped. Pm me or email bp.powell@comcast.net I have them in stock ready to ship.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED - 04/28/04 05:03 AM
Brand new pics and how-to are here.
link to Pics in Pics and Videos
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Carbon fiber sail panels CLOSED - 04/28/04 06:44 AM
Thank you Suneil, things are looking good. Anyone intrested in some I have five sets in stock, NEW LOW PRICE, $75 SHIPPED. Send me a pm or email, bp.powell@comcast.net. Thank you
© CEG Archives