Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: auiotour LED Group Buy 6 - 02/01/04 02:47 AM
Hey everyone, here is what CEG needed, a special sale, $1.00 off every pack of 50, $2.25 off a pack of 100, $5.50 off a pack of 200! You can't beat that, these are special discounts that I am getting through the manufacter. Don't miss this opportunity. And just wait, Not only do you get them for cheaper, You get 1 resistor per LED you order, for any there after it is $2.50 for 50, $5.00 for 100. Now thats a good deal. You can't beat free!!! Check my site out and see what I have to offer.

http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds.html

You can do some pretty cool stuff with these, you can use them for all kinds of things besides your car, You can change out virtually any small dc light bulb with these.

Here are some pictures of the LEDs in my old 95 Contour SE. I just ordered them for my 99 Contour SE Sport.

If you have any questions you can Email me PM, or IM me on aim.
Posted By: thejms Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/01/04 03:36 AM
Pictures are very blurry, but I already know I want to do the door switches. How many LEDs would I need to accomplish this?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/01/04 05:06 AM
newbies: 50 3mm and 50 5mm (total 100)
anything else: 25 3mm and 25 5mm (50 total)
Posted By: 818Contour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/03/04 04:39 PM
Good deal!
I just pm'ed you with some questions.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/03/04 08:42 PM
I'd like to order 25 3mm and 25 5mm - you working this way or only one 50 packs of like sized LED's?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/04/04 03:26 AM
pretty much anyway you want them. the smallest order is 5 (must be the same color).
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/04/04 04:28 AM
Ok, I'll take a pack of 25 3mm blue and a pack of 25 5mm blue.

Can I paypal you? Just PM me a total and I'll get it out to you!
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/04/04 09:13 AM
How many mcd are the 5mm White ones, and what brand are they? Thanks!

Marty
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/04/04 02:35 PM
Originally posted by chknhwk:
Ok, I'll take a pack of 25 3mm blue and a pack of 25 5mm blue.

Can I paypal you? Just PM me a total and I'll get it out to you!

paypal is auiotour@comcast.net, total will be $14.00

Quote:

How many mcd are the 5mm White ones, and what brand are they? Thanks!

Marty

They around around 2800 MCD, and the brand name I can not release, because they are straight from the manufacter, and if I was to tell you that, There would be no purpose for me here. And yes, I do make a slight bit off of these. just not during this special. They are high quality, long lasting. Warranty on each one from the manufacter is 14 years. Longer then most companies.

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/04/04 02:53 PM
Just paypalled you man.
I just ordered 100 from you all 3mm.
Shhhhhhh.....Don't tell Hector
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/04/04 04:08 PM
Originally posted by auiotour:

paypal is auiotour@comcast.net, total will be $14.00

Transferring money to my paypal account now. You'll have money in just a few days.
Posted By: coatsy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/05/04 02:25 PM
Does this include shipping fees?
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/05/04 05:13 PM
Ordered 50 5mm Blue. How soon will you be shipping these out?
Posted By: bklynman01 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/05/04 05:40 PM
i just PMed you. i like your "i ain't tellin you the company" thing. smart
Posted By: ContourRacer77 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/05/04 08:13 PM
I was just wondering why you would need 50 3mm? How much would 5 3mm and 5 5mm green ones be? Also where would the 5mm go and where would the 3mm go? Thanks
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/05/04 08:27 PM
5mm are great for backlighting ie clock, gauges, door handles. 3mm are good for like on your defrost switch, and anywhere you can't fit a 5mm.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/07/04 04:50 AM
Okay, I am gonna try to anwser all your questions, here I go

Suggested order amounts:
50 3mm & 50 5mm for newbies to soddering and LED installing
25 3mm & 50 5mm for those who have serius faith in themselves or who has done this already.

shipping prices are included in all this, as for they dont cost me [censored] to ship.

pre98
door switches 3mm
behind door handles (back light) 5mm
defrost 3mm/5mm
traction control 3mm
fog light indicator 5mm
dimmer 5mm
clock 5mm
guages 5mm/74 bulb LED (superbrightleds.com)
needles 3mm
hvac 5mm/74 bulb LED (superbrightleds.com)

post97
door switches 3mm
defrost 3mm/5mm
traction control 3mm
dimmer 5mm
clock 5mm
guages 5mm/74 bulb LED (superbrightleds.com)
needles 3mm
hvac 5mm/74 bulb LED (superbrightleds.com)

shipping usually is 2-4 weeks, due to importing them, If anyone wants faster shipping, I hear there are many places online who sell them for $0.50 and do one week shipping. Sorry the wait, it has to be that long in order to get the low prices. hope you all understand.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/07/04 04:52 AM
Originally posted by 96_Concept_GL:
Ordered 50 5mm Blue. How soon will you be shipping these out?

I will be ordering most of them on Monday. As I am on a old old 100 MHz comp right now, and I don't wanna try to do to much on this old beast. My computer is torn apart right now.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/10/04 04:54 AM
I have ordered all LEDs that have been ordered. they should be here in a week or two.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/10/04 01:47 PM
Whoo hoo. I can finally fix the one green switch in my Tour!

Thanks for the updates man.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/10/04 01:55 PM
Yo, I FINALLY got to sending you the money. Sorry it took so long!!
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/10/04 02:34 PM
Yo, I FINALLY got to sending you the money. Sorry it took so long!!

PM me with what you are ordering, size. I know you are getting blue and 50 of them but thats it.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/12/04 02:56 AM
Just a few days yet you guys. Come on this is a great opportunity to get in on this. I will have install guides ready by the time you guys get them in the mail.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/12/04 03:33 PM
Hey man, I'll try to snap some pics the next time I do Mine and Hectors switches if you want. I need to find another defroster switch for Hector. Got any 12V 3mm red LED's?

I really only need one
Posted By: ElKy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/12/04 03:55 PM
we need to use resistors in-line with these right?
does the value of the resistor required varie depending upon application?

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/12/04 04:01 PM
The LEDs are all the same wattage/Volt, the power before the resistor is all 12 volt, so it should be the same resistor in all cases.

I could be wrong, It's happened in the past...too much
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/13/04 12:09 AM
Are the blue ones around 2800 mcd as well?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/13/04 02:41 AM
Originally posted by hondas_for_breakfast:
Are the blue ones around 2800 mcd as well?

anwsered this in a IM, but for others 3.2k-3.6k

Originally posted by bk4293:
The LEDs are all the same wattage/Volt, the power before the resistor is all 12 volt, so it should be the same resistor in all cases.

I could be wrong, It's happened in the past...too much

All the same, I changed them to a 510, since somebody helped me figure they needed a bigger resistor.

Originally posted by ElKy:
we need to use resistors in-line with these right?
does the value of the resistor required varie depending upon application?

With the new resistors I am sending out, only 1 resistor per led, depending on how you set it up. if you install it the same was as the old one, it requires 1.

Originally posted by bk4293:
Hey man, I'll try to snap some pics the next time I do Mine and Hectors switches if you want. I need to find another defroster switch for Hector. Got any 12V 3mm red LED's?

I really only need one

12v, no, but you can install a 510 ohm resistor on the positive side of the LED, and knock it down. Check out the junk yards I broke mine on my 95 and had to redo it, best place to find them. Now I just need a 98 clock bulb till I order my LEDs.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/13/04 05:58 AM
Okay, found all the tutorials, doesn't seem I ever finished them, I am gonna begin putting them together tomorrow at work, and then this weekend. There is a lot of work to be done, and anyone who would like to help me write them up, or draw diagrams, would be appeciated. most of the pictures I have are from my old 95 se, I will soon be doing my new car, but the tutorial will show a different way of installing them as I will be doing a setup that anyone is welcome to copy, I have yet to figure out exactly how I will do it, but I will be doing every single light in the car, doors, switches, guages, hvac, footwell, glove box, sun/moon roof, behind door handles, key holes, trunk, dome, map lights, hood light. It will all be done, I am still figuring out how many LEDs I will need and what I need to order. I hope this will give everyone will enjoy the pictures once I am done. My guages should be done and put on by then also.
Posted By: LXValdivia Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/13/04 03:20 PM
Could you tell me how much total with shipping for a pack of 25 3mm red and a pack of 25 5mm red.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/14/04 05:04 AM
32.75 with shipping.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/15/04 07:14 PM
I started retyping the tutorial, as I don't like the way its set up. I will be posting it this week. Bits and pieces won't be done till later. But, all locations that will be needed for these LEDs will be done shortly.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/19/04 02:00 AM
the first sets of LEDs are here, shipping will begin tomorrow.
Posted By: 98SVT_LEO Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/19/04 08:20 PM
Just for FYI purposes, I wouldn't suggest anyone using blue or red lights in or on your vehicle, as it's illegal in FL and I'm sure surronding states as well.....just thought I would mention it..but they do look sweet
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/20/04 02:15 AM
not inside, or ford, and vw, and several other companys would be in trouble for the colors of the guages and buttons lights.
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/20/04 05:17 AM
I stay current for all you Ohioans. Ohio State patrol says, outside no blue, no red on the front, and no moving or blinking lights of any kind. Inside, anything goes.

Also, no colored turn signals ie red, blue, green... amber only. And they freak over blue headlights too.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/23/04 04:40 AM
Everyone, I have some bad news about the tutorial. I decieded not to do it. As, I just can't find good enough words to describe what I am talking about. Now, if those of you or anyone else who would like to help with the tutorial. I am willing to tell you how the install goes. I know there is many people on here who can put the words into a much better order, making it make sense to everyone else and not just me. The complete tutorial covers virtually everything in the car. When I do my car, which should be in a few weeks when my LEDs come in, I will be doing some things that I will show off but won't be telling how I did it.

the tutorial is located here http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds/tutorial/
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/23/04 04:56 AM
how much for
10 3mm white
10 5mm white
10 3mm blue
10 5mm blue?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/23/04 06:39 AM
10 3mm white $5.00
10 5mm white $5.00
10 3mm blue $4.00
10 5mm blue $4.00
total amount: $18.00/shipping
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 04:16 AM
LEDs are shipping on thursday, there should be 6 sets going out. anyone who ordered before the 12 should be getting them sometime next week.

I am still waiting to confirm a few orders, they are listed below:

SVTcoop: You ordered 50 Blue LEDs and 50 Resistors, what size did you order. I am pretty sure yours was 20/30, for some reason they shipped me 40/60. Don't know why.

BK4293: Your red LEDs are on back order, it will take until last this week to recieve them, should ship by friday at the latest, you should see them next week also.

I am going to try to work on the tutorials, now that I have found time, if anyone would like to jump in, or just ask a few questions, I will be in the AIM chat room LEDs. If I don't reply right away, drop me some text, and I will IM you back. Otherwise please PM me with anything else for those of you that don't have/use AIM.

EDIT: okay, since i got 40/60 instead of 20/30, I have 50 LEDs up for grabs. $10.00 to the first person. 20 3mm and 30 5mm Blue LEDs.

3 orders are ready to ship, but, I will not have time to ship them, besides it wouldn't be right if someone who ordered almost last got there's before the person who ordered 3rd, BK is the only one who nobody has to wait for since his won't be here till friday or so. 3 of 8 orders have been recieved, half of order number 6 from Sparker (thanks buddy hope your GB goes well too!!, got stuff from superbright today hope you got my PM, nice long run on sentence huh!)
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 05:25 AM
i'll take the 50 Blue LED's for $10
sending paypal now
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 06:30 AM
All yours! Packaged them up, they go out thursday.

Okay, got the MASSIVE order of $300.00 from Superbrightleds.com, part my order the rest sparkers from MEG. I grabbed my 74 bulbs, and headed out for the car, you can check out the tutorial later tonight at http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds/tutorial/index.html Also, in about 5 minutes I will be posting the pictures!
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 07:29 AM

So thats it for now. Also did my foot wells.

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 08:05 AM
Did you use the bulb sockets to create the LED needles or did you solder the bulb and resistor to the contacts on the back of the cluster?
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 12:59 PM
CRAP! I can order resistors through you, too? How much?
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 03:39 PM
how hard is it to do the dash? Also, what resistors do i need. I am loking to do all the doors right now, but i def. want to do the dash. and how much ar ethe resistors.
-Mike
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 05:22 PM
I used bulb number 74 from superbrightleds.com, got them for $1.00 each, I had an order of 150 of them, so the prices went down quite a bit. otherwise i think they are like 1.29 or something each. you only need 5. I bought 10, so I have $5.00 left over, I will let go for $5.00 plus $1.00 shipping (still $4.00 cheaper then superbright, if you were buying with 100 more!).

As for the resistors, they are $5.00 for 100, thats $0.05 each! way better then almost $0.20 each at Radio Shack. Anyone who got in on the GB will get resistors.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 05:23 PM
sorry here is the footwell lights
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 08:32 PM
well i dont know if my purchase counted as a GB. If not i will paypal you and additional $10 for the resistors and 10 5mm white. Let me know
-Mike
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 09:48 PM
I'll take those footwell bulbs -they're blue, right?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 11:30 PM
lol, the footwell lights are white, and I have 5 total, 4 of which i need. and 1 extra. you can order them from superbrightleds.com.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/24/04 11:31 PM
Originally posted by parkedcar:
well i dont know if my purchase counted as a GB. If not i will paypal you and additional $10 for the resistors and 10 5mm white. Let me know
-Mike

when did you order. I allowed 1 person to pay a few days later, since it was prearranged and I ordered the LEDs before the 15th.
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 12:01 AM
you just had 50 blue LED's last night for $10 since they were a miss order or some thing a long those lines
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 12:10 AM
n/m then, i'll get them from superbright
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 12:17 AM
yea, they are 10, don't worry, resistors were $2.50 more though.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Super Grover:
Did you use the bulb sockets to create the LED needles or did you solder the bulb and resistor to the contacts on the back of the cluster?

I wanna know this too. How'dja do it, mangh?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 02:45 AM
I am working on it now. should be completely finished in a our or so
check my tutorials site out

check it here
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 03:50 AM
The guages tutorial is complete, check it out http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds/tutorial/
Posted By: ContourRacer77 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 05:19 AM
I know that this group buy is over, but how much does each led cost without a group buy?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 10:28 AM
http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds.html, will have all the prices you will need, they all include shipping.
Posted By: ContourRacer77 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/25/04 10:38 PM
Thanks
Just wanted to through a big thanks in to everyone who perticipated in this GB, Orders will be shipping out tomorrow. Except BK4293, still awaiting the red, they should be shipped out very soon! Here are just a few pictures of all the LEDs that were ordered this time. A aprox of $1000.00 worth of LEDs were ordered.

Mines not in there
Sweet man, thanks!!

That's a bada__ wallpaper on your monitor you got there...
Sweet man, thanks!!

That's a bada__ wallpaper on your monitor you got there...

ya want it?
Yeah, hook a brother up!
i see you ordered some of those LED strips.
how well do they work?
do they emit an even light across the whole strip or is it spotty?
i see you ordered some of those LED strips.
how well do they work?
do they emit an even light across the whole strip or is it spotty?

that is from the GB sparker got together in the UK, he controls the MEG GBs and I control all else. He orders through me.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/26/04 10:29 PM
Orders were shipped today for the following people

E. Gray
M. Gluck
P. Maynard (its nittany right. apt 5 or 8, please PM!)
E. Ramirez
T. Cooper
J. Preston

ParkedCar, shipped your 50 that werent apart of the GB, and ordered the addition resistors and LEDs you wanted.

A few more orders are bending, sorry for the incovience.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/26/04 10:33 PM
Thanks!

Oh man, so many pretty LEDs.

BTW Llane, i checked out the tutorial, great job man. I bet it was a lot of work, but it was a very cool thing to actually do. I've still got plenty of LEDs from when i bought before, but when i need more i'm definitely hitting you up.
thanks man, I have never scene so many LEDs all at once, wow. It was a bit of a suprise, I had almost 2200 LEDs total. and about 1200 resistors. I am still working on the tutorial so. Some of the stuff won't be done till i get some people to do the pre98 stuff since I don't have it and have limited pictures now. I will try to get it done asap though.
Well I guess this is the place to ask even though the GB is over.

Would you recommend attempting this to someone who has never soddered at all , and doesnt really know what the hell hes doing? How difficult is it to sodder?

I want to do my door handles as pictured and pretty much everything I can , but the soddering has me a little bit worried if I could do it. Also cool tutorial , but Id probably need a full one! Maybe after I do the guages or something that youve already written the rest would be easier.

Originally posted by DimitriPopov:
Well I guess this is the place to ask even though the GB is over.

Would you recommend attempting this to someone who has never soddered at all , and doesnt really know what the hell hes doing? How difficult is it to sodder?

I want to do my door handles as pictured and pretty much everything I can , but the soddering has me a little bit worried if I could do it. Also cool tutorial , but Id probably need a full one! Maybe after I do the guages or something that youve already written the rest would be easier.

soldering wires isnt very hard at all. Just watch out for the iron. That [censored] is very hot. (got some scares to prove it)
Soddering is easy, first you have two wires you want to be one wire, you twist or tape down both wires, so that the wires overlap each other. Then, you take a soddering pencil or gun, and heat it up, then take sodder, and put it on the wires that are gonna be soddered, touch the soddering pencil or gun to the sodder, it will begin melting and molding around the wires, once you see you have a good connection, remove the sodder, then remove the soddering pencil or gun from the wires. let it try, then pull the wires lightly to see if its a good connection if so. You just soddered your first wires. Its about as easy as that. Now, tearing things apart can be tricky, the head light control knob is evil, the dimmer switch is hard because the metal you have to sodder to takes forever to heat up, the master switch is a blast as it has a small piece inside that sorta floats, and doesn't go back together very well, mine still is broke and so is the one in my 95 se. Other then that they are all very simple. It sounds hard and complicated but is very easy.
Ok... I could probably pick the tools up at like Home Depot or Wal Mart or something?

And how/what could I practice on?

PS- Thanks for the quick and full replies
order like 10 extra resisots, thats like $0.50 cents, then sodder then together to make different objects, good practice for cheap!
Great practcie... take apart an old vcr or radio or something, desolder the components and soler them back in. compare your joints to the existing ones.

I haven't seen so many leds since i decide to mass produce a "knightrider" circuit back in the day. Lol, made like 3 and got tired of it.

Thanks man! Looking forward to receiving the toys.
lol, good idea also with the vcr.
when's the next gb happening?
Probably, May or so. You can visit my web page anytime, and buy them. I will soon be making a GB page, which will only be up when the GB is going and a normal page with the normal prices that people can just click add to cart and buy the item they want. Making it much easier.
awesome thank i'll take a look at your website first!

I was reading this post and i saw you were making a how to guide for the led's when do you think it'll be all complete? I would really like to do the gauges and hvac.
Sometime next week for the post97 cars, and probably a lot later for the pre98 cars. I need someone to do the following for pre98 cars first before I can finish it 100%

Hood, Bulb (what size from superbrightleds.com, along with before and after pictures.
Key Holes (gonna try this on my 99)

I think thats about it.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/28/04 04:27 PM
Got done with some more of the tutorial if anyone wanted to know. Book mark it if you haven't already, so you guys can check it without coming to the GB.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/28/04 10:31 PM
I promise as soon as I can get to it I will start working on helping you with that. I'm right in the middle of about eleventy billion projects right now...
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 02:30 AM
Well, i didn't take any pics during the installs, but i'm gonna whore the pics of my LEDs.

SO far i've done:
-door handle LEDs
-LEDs above the cupholders
-LEDs in the 2 bins in the console
-Also rear dome LEDs on my old 99 mystique (pics here )

And this is backlit by an LED (i made my own ghetto incandescent replacement version of an LED):

More LEDs coming soon. In order to mount them, i just got black mounting holders from radio shack, they mix in nice with the midnight blue interior.

Oh ya, sorry about the massive pics.
Posted By: ContourRacer77 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 02:52 AM
Hey they look great. How long did it take to install them?
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 03:02 AM
Umm, for the door handle LEDs not too long. You can prep the LEDs, resistors, and wiring before hand so that you can just go outside, take the covers off nad start splicing. Should take like 15 min per door once you get the idea. For the console LEDs, obviously it takes alot longer because you gotta remove both consoles and the radio trim piece (remove the radio trim to do the LEDs above the cupholders). Also when drilling in the actual console, you need careful planning to get locations and angles right. All in all, i'd say its a nice weekend project.

Also for those console LED's i wired a switch in, i mounted it inside my driver-side glovebox (mystique-only ), it's sweet.
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 06:00 AM
Thanks for pics , so the door handels shine all the time , not just when the door is open? I was hoping they would do that , was afraid Id have to do some kindof modification to how theyre hookedup
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 06:01 AM

Yeah, thats probably the one I get asked the most about myself. Just so you guys know the pre-98 consoles have a piece of plastic to light up all the letters on the shift indicator. For some odd reason some of these plastic pieces are green and some are clear. luckily I found a clear one while at the junkyard one day.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 06:14 AM
Actually my shifter indicator had green backlighting on it. I took it apart and scraped the green off then put blue paint on it. I scraped a little too deep in some places, you can tell in the pic. But ya, i put one of auio's white LEDs back there.

I kinda wish i would've known about the clear ones now....oh well.

Dimitripopov, ya, they shine whenever the ignition is in the on position, just like the backlighting on the switches (becasue that's where i tappped power from). Once you get the switch harness open, you can easily use a voltmeter to figure all this out. Plus i'm sure auio will have how-tos soon.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 06:43 AM
actually that was for the pre 98's, The 1998 and above Contours are a bit different and a bit easier.

Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 02/29/04 04:20 PM
On the next GB, i will be offering a few new products. the ones for the guages, hvac, footwells. The other new product, will be this plastic piece that you put on the end of each LED to make them shine in a 360 radius, so in a circle, versus straight, they are good for the clock and door handles, atx shifter, and if you are doing them from the bottom of the radio, or the back of your car, or if you use these for computer cases. they will be about $0.40 as they are quite expensive, so I don't expect them to be bought that much. and only a few will be needed per order to get a higher quality look.

As for all the pictures, they look great. Very good. Thank you for posting them also.
Posted By: ElKy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/02/04 11:37 AM
Got my LEDs yesterday!!!
thanks auiotour.

do you have more info on these new plastic pieces?
i think i am definitly interested in them for my guages.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/02/04 02:37 PM
what more information would yea like. I am gonna add a new tutorial soon, for the HVAC, took pictures with the different lights inside of it last night. Also, gonna do the head light control switch.
Posted By: ElKy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/02/04 02:55 PM
i guess, i would just like to know when they might be available.
will they work with the plug in (#74 i think) leds for the instrument cluster?
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/03/04 01:48 AM
Got my blue LED's today!Thanks alot!!
I did the front 2 doors today and i am VERY pleased with how it came out. Once the whites and the resistors come i will do the door handles. Thanks again!!!
-Mike

Oh Yeah
How hard is it to do the HVAC, headlight control, and defroster?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/03/04 02:25 AM
the new attachments don't work on the 74s that I know of, as the 74s are designed to do what the normal 3 and 5mm leds don't and thats widen the viewing angle. I will order some soon and post pictures showing what they can do.

As for the defroster, the wheel, is kinda anonying to put back in, and the metal is very cold, suggested soddering would be to, cut small holes into the sides of the metal, creating little edges for the wire to sit in. then wind wire around the metal piece, then sodder the metal pieces together. Making it so they won't slip off and will still hold a good connection. I installed a 5mm LED in my 95 defroster, Had to cut the hole a little bigger, but came out awsome, (might want to chop the end of the LED with a wire cutter, note watching for flying plastic!!) the hvac uses the same bulbs as the foot wells. And I am pretty sure the head light control does too. Gonna find out later tonight!
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/03/04 07:41 PM
Order recieved, thanks! Now I have something to do over spring break :-)
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 03:11 AM
I got some more LEDs that were supposed to be delivered yesterday, but the stupid mail man is requiring signatures all of a sudden for them because they come international mail. I signed and left it at my door, like it said, yea he didn't drop them off again. I am getting so mad.
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 03:24 AM
Oh, got 'em yesterday. Already blew 1
Posted By: parkedcar Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 04:08 AM
I am going to do the dorr handles with the whites when they come. Any one know what color wires i should splice into to have them come on with the window light?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 04:11 AM
not sure yet, take some pictures, as I need to do those for my 99, can't go without them, I am doing something special, the up arrow will be blue, the down will be white, this will be in all the switches.

Ohh yes everyone, Gonna have the HVAC, and Half of the Head Light Control switch tutorials up. Sorry, I am doing them as, I have parts to do them. Meant to get these both up this week, but had to go repair some computers for people past couple days. I jut finished my head light control switch tonight.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 04:27 AM
I guess i'll go ahead and post this here becasue this seems to be where the LED modders are looking.

But ya, i got the 74 incandescent replacement LEDs for the cluster yesterday. And well, ya i was kinda dissapointed. Let me just say first of all, i have full indiglos and they are very bright. I bought the red 74 LEDs from SBL to try and get my needles red, but well ya, they aren't exactly "superbright." In order to get even a little red on the needles you have to turn the guages all the way down, and when they are at full blast, you truly can't tell that they're there. So in conclusion, i would say the 74's from SBL aren't ideal for ppl with full indiglos.

At this point not sure what i'm gonna do; possible ideas:
-Keep the 74s in there and try to add more red leds in the housing or just make my own incandescent replacements
-Paint needles red; i'm shying away from this becasue i don't wanna remove the needles then have to deal with speedo calibration
-Paint the incandescents with red porcelain/glass paint or use those red bulb condoms

Not sure what i'm gonna do yet but i was kinda dissapointed.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 04:36 AM
Originally posted by amarv12:
I guess i'll go ahead and post this here becasue this seems to be where the LED modders are looking.

But ya, i got the 74 incandescent replacement LEDs for the cluster yesterday. And well, ya i was kinda dissapointed. Let me just say first of all, i have full indiglos and they are very bright. I bought the red 74 LEDs from SBL to try and get my needles red, but well ya, they aren't exactly "superbright." In order to get even a little red on the needles you have to turn the guages all the way down, and when they are at full blast, you truly can't tell that they're there. So in conclusion, i would say the 74's from SBL aren't ideal for ppl with full indiglos.

At this point not sure what i'm gonna do; possible ideas:
-Keep the 74s in there and try to add more red leds in the housing or just make my own incandescent replacements
-Paint needles red; i'm shying away from this becasue i don't wanna remove the needles then have to deal with speedo calibration
-Paint the incandescents with red porcelain/glass paint or use those red bulb condoms

Not sure what i'm gonna do yet but i was kinda dissapointed.

sorry never stated this before, these LEDs I sell and others out there don't work to well with indiglo's of any sort or kind. Due to the fact the Indigo's usually give the needle tint/color, making it harder to see the color from behind the gauges. If you want, ship them to me. How many did you get. I will sell them for what you paid. I can sell them quicker as, I am the one everyone goes too for them, so they expect them from me, not just a single person. As for painting the needles, you ever see a drop of water on a piece of plastic, its a nice round drop, it doesn't flatten very well. Well, paint doesn't like to go on the back of needles for similair reasons. Some of done it, but personally it looks like poo. As for the other stuff, try them out, but with indigo's you aren't gonna have to much success.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 04:49 AM
Ya, i kinda feared that the brightness of the indiglos would make it tough. At this point i think i'm gonna leave it as is for a while, then once this semester is over try to mount some more red LEDs in the housing. At that point i'll hit you up for some reds and resistors. However, there was the one user Buttonpuncher (the one that modded the output range on the transformer) and he used red LEDs back there, and his needles lit up pretty nicely, granted i bet his were a lot brighter probably. But i dunno, school is killing me, i wish i had more free time, so many mods i wanna do.

Here's Buttonpuncher's thread. Very inspirational.
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 03:04 PM
Originally posted by parkedcar:
I am going to do the dorr handles with the whites when they come. Any one know what color wires i should splice into to have them come on with the window light?

I thought there was just an empty harness sitting by the handle inside... that may just be pre98...
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/04/04 08:17 PM
Ok so do you have any inventory of what I should buy from superbrightleds.com before I buy from you? Ive got

5 WLED-R Red LED bulb
5 BA9s-R Red LED bulb

that all the tutorial says I need I think. Also , does every LED replacement require soldering and a resistor? Or are there a few I can do without soldering?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/05/04 01:50 AM
let me figure that out, gotta friend over right now, just checking in on things. give me 30.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/05/04 02:47 AM
got the last set of LEDs, that were sent from the manufacter, turns, out they didn't ship the following items

50 3mm white
100 3mm blue
50 5mm blue
and 250 560 ohm 1/4 resistors. I will be gettin these items out asap. BK, i will be sending 25 3mm and and 25
Posted By: charolastra Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/05/04 08:24 AM
whats ups mang have you gotten or shiped minez??? let me know thanks
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/05/04 02:43 PM
what did you order, what was your email used to order (just give the part before the @ symbol. Pretty much all orders have shipped, except the GB order from Europe. Which ships today.
Posted By: charolastra Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/05/04 06:14 PM
nomammes80@aol.com
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/06/04 05:21 AM
How do you get the green out of the knob for the headlight switch? I scratched off the green film behind the indicators, but the dot on the knob is confusing me.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/06/04 06:39 AM
I scratched them off, as for the knob mine doesn't light up green, the pre98's did, not sure if the post97 due as my bulb eithr isn't there or burnt out. inside the big piece

You gotta remove the orange part, it can be very tricky, as there are ball bearings and a special way that the connectors connect. Its very fragil the insides of it that is. Not something the eas tempered, or newbie wants to do. For now just put black electrical tape on it. It took me about 6 hours to do that piece blue on my 95. It wasn't fun, it requires a 3mm led, and well, just isn't fun, its not just a simple, sodder here, sodder there, as there is no room, its like a hose nosel, if there is any shape difference besides it being the normal way, it makes it very hard to go back on. Well, with this, it just won't go back on, so you gotta melt a line, from the positive location to the Led, then sodder to the negative, hook it up, and see if it works. Its not fun at all. But, I will be covering it as my 99 will have it, unless I gotta go get a different switch from the junk yard that does. If you don't have the knob that pulls out, the green light is always on, but the ones that have fog lights, the knob pulled out for the fog lights, when the fog lights were turned on, the green light went out. Wierd, I don't know why, but it did.

Now here are some other pictures of the hvac, with the different bulbs, (stock, and the two different sets i did in the foot well tutoril.) The hed light control was only done with one bulb. which was a WLED from sbl.com.

here are the pictures.

Stock

194ledbulb

6 led bulb

sorr blurry pictures, was in a hurry, I will take better pictures later.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/06/04 06:41 AM
Originally posted by charolastra:
nomammes80@aol.com

your order should be there soon.
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/06/04 05:29 PM
Background... I've been working on electronics 4 years, spent 2 years as an audio dealer/repair. have 1/2 an associates in electrical/electronics engineering. I've worked on cd players, PDAs, and amps forver, not to mention everything computers. Electrical tape is not an option.

When I figure out the easiest way, you'll get a how to. (pics galore).
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/06/04 09:42 PM
coo
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/10/04 02:23 AM
Sorry everyone, I haven't been on much lately, its been a heckick last few weeks. I am getting ready to propose to my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years. But, on a side note that you guys will care more about. I think I recieved everyones LEDs that haven't been shipped. I can't ship them till thursday, as, tonight they are closed, and i have a doc appointment tomorrow after work. But first thing thursday after work they will be shipping. Everyone except, stewart should recieve their LEDs next week. Stewart yours should be on their way still. Shipping is a little rough, since it takes 11-14 days to get there.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/10/04 04:14 AM
Good luck on the proposal, mangh!
Posted By: Dtox Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/10/04 08:36 AM
I hope she doesn't read the forums or else you just blew the surprise. Good luck man!
Posted By: ElKy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/10/04 11:39 AM
does that include the #74's we talked about?

good luck with the little lady.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/11/04 02:39 AM
does that include the #74's we talked about?

good luck with the little lady.

yup

and her mom blew the suprise, cause she doesn't want us to get married. very long story, and has nothing to do with me whatsoever, its kinda bs. So, she told me, if your gonna ask me, i will say yes. and i was like ask you what. And she said, to get married. and I was like why would i do that. lol. She wasn't to happy.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/12/04 03:32 AM
BK, i feel horrible for this, i need to verify your city name and zip code.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/12/04 07:57 AM

Steve Jones
4456 N. Moody Ave.
Chicago, Il. 60630

Are you getting her a ring that lights up with LED's????
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/13/04 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Super Grover:

Steve Jones
4456 N. Moody Ave.
Chicago, Il. 60630

Are you getting her a ring that lights up with LED's????

haha, that would be funny, alright, you wrote a different city, the zip went to chicago, but the city, had a zip for 60030. Gonna go ship them off soon. Sorry about that man.
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/17/04 04:37 AM
alright, all the LEDs have been shipped out to everyone, if you haven't gotten yours, please give me your first and last name, and the paypal email address used. PM me this information. I will make sure that its been sent, and see if there was anything wrong with the shipping. I finally got my pieces in the mail. they also sent me 50 5mm green extra. wierd. so, now i have 25 5mm red, 25 5mm red & 50 5mm green. These are up for bid to anyone who wants them. prices go as followed. 10% normal price for the reds, and 25% off the green. Make sure to add 3% for paypal charges. something I normally cover.
Posted By: ElKy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/17/04 11:46 AM
got my #74 last night!
thanks!

did you mean you have 25 3mm and 25 5mm reds?
or do you have 50 5mm?
i will take these.
how much for all the reds?
and do those come with resistors?

Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/17/04 03:07 PM
got my #74 last night!
thanks!

did you mean you have 25 3mm and 25 5mm reds?
or do you have 50 5mm?
i will take these.
how much for all the reds?
and do those come with resistors?

25 3mm red $7.25 + 3%
25 5mm red $7.25 + 3%
50 5mm green $15.00 + 3%
no resistors, but I can get some if you need them.
Posted By: ElKy Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/17/04 04:09 PM
sold!
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/18/04 02:56 AM
shipping the reds out tomorrow. thanks again.\

for everyone else, still got a 50 pack of 5mm green.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/18/04 04:58 AM
Recieved mine thismorning!!!!
I'm so happy, can't wait to bust out the ole' soldering iron again!!!!

Thanks again man, I'll probaly be getting some more for the cluster soon. how much for the #74's in blue for the needles?
Posted By: auiotour Re: LED Group Buy 6 - 03/18/04 02:58 PM
$1.19 i think, in the GB I ended up getting them for 99 cents each. Next GB is gonna offer so much more. This weekend I am finishing some people stuff up, and finishing my car if I can.
© CEG Archives