Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 02:59 AM
OKay, my father-in-law owns a business called Detroit Switch. He makes switches and buttons and such. I would like to know if any one would be interested in purchasing clear (crystal clear) AC control knobs for their contour or mystique. They would look OEM, but are entirely clear, so the green light (or whatever color you have) will light the entire knob up. Dont have any prices or pics yet, but the idea seems entirely cool right now, just wanna see if anyone would be interested. He would have to make a custom mold for this job, so I need about 15+ guys to want em. I would guess it would be around $10-20 shipped for all three knobs. As for other colors, it is a possiblitly. Let me just see how many guys would be intersted, then I will discuss color otprions besides clear. Let me know. Thanks guys.
Posted By: BigC Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:09 AM
-May be interested, sounds great. $15 range sounds great too. The material: would it be a resin or what? Durability?

-Big C
Posted By: Nate S Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:10 AM
dont forget: how difficult is the install...?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:11 AM
Not sure how that would look, but if it looked good I might would be in.
Posted By: Tour VCT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:22 AM
if i see some pics, count me in definately ...
Posted By: BigC Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:23 AM
the AC knobs are not hard to remove, and are a lot easier to get back in.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Tour VCT:
if i see some pics, count me in definately ...

Me too as long as they look good.
Posted By: Dtox Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:43 AM
Count me in if it comes out looking good.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:54 AM
I belive the material is a resin type, same material as they OEM knobs. Not quite sure yet. He is going to make the "prototypes tommorow, or Friday at the latest. As soon as I have em, I'll put them in my car and take pics. As for payment, I will not take any down payments or anything for it, I'll have a box of them and sell em as I get paid. So, count on it being around 10-15 bucks each for a set of three.
Posted By: onosway Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:01 AM
listening
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Nate S:
dont forget: how difficult is the install...?

step one: pull old knob until it comes off...
step two: push new knob on....
Posted By: Nate S Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:11 AM
hmm...sounds kinda difficult...
what about the LED though?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:13 AM

What about the LED??
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:16 AM
Interested too, pending what it looks like as well.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:19 AM
Originally posted by LilRedRocket:

What about the LED??

you pull out the knob, and the led is just right there? (im thinking that if you pull out the knob, you'll rip out the wire for the led or something)
Posted By: Stoobie Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:37 AM
I take a 2 sets thats sounds sweet deal. see some pics when you have them ready.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 04:41 AM
I'd be in for a couple sets myself along with some buddies around here if they look good and stay around that price.
Posted By: thejms Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 05:04 AM
Sounds cool, I would interested also. now just need to figure out how to get blue leds back there.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 05:18 AM
i'm not sure how these would be lighting up? just sounds like clear knobs to me.

the lights are behind the HVAC so how would u get the knobs to light up? I don't see it shining through, unless its the white light which isn't too attractive to me.

Unless you're expecting people to just come up with something on their own and you're just providing the knob....then thats understandable.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 05:22 AM
If they light up green, I won't be able to see them in front of my indiglo guage
Posted By: Dr Dionysus Esq. Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 05:32 AM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
i'm not sure how these would be lighting up? just sounds like clear knobs to me.

the lights are behind the HVAC so how would u get the knobs to light up? I don't see it shining through, unless its the white light which isn't too attractive to me.

Unless you're expecting people to just come up with something on their own and you're just providing the knob....then thats understandable.

He's got a point. If these knobs come with some particular way to light up or get the light from behind the HVAC, that would be definately cool, and I'd pay a lot extra for something like that. I'll decide when I see those pics
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 05:48 AM
i could be down, but i would like to see what they look like first.
Posted By: Kman Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 06:44 AM
I also would be interested, depending on how they look with the existing lighting from the stock knobs.
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 11:11 AM
Sounds interesting. I might take 2 sets depending on the pic.

However, Ninja got it right. First of all: what's being offered here - knobs w/o HVAV panel, right? So, you just pull the old knobs off, put the new ones - clear ones, and what we are getting? White light shining thru the clear knobs, and still green light shining thru the green marked HVAC panel? Doesn't sound right.

I guess if this friend of your father can do something more, such as panel, knobs and LEDs as a set - you will get tens and tens of orders here.
Posted By: outkast Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 11:45 AM
I could use two sets.I,d like to see pics first!
I also like to see those billet aluminum knobs made for the
focus at www.transferracing.com/focusbillet.html
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 12:09 PM
The idea under this is that I was providing clear knobs for the panel (3 of them). At the time, I have not figured out anything else to do with it, thats where you guys come in. On my panel, when all three nobs are pulled, a green ring of light shines through (y'know, when you turn the headlights on, the instrument panel lights up green?) Atleast, thats how it is on my 98.5 csvt. However, the color of the light that is behind the panel is an easily changeable thing. Letme (sorta) go back to the drawing board and see about making a little change. What about colored clear knobs (red, green, yellow, blue, ect) so that regaradless of the light on the panel, it would light up the color of the knob becuase of the "color filament effect" (y'know, like on a overhead projector?) I'm gonna put a hold on this for 1 day and see what you people think, and If you think it is a go, give me what color you think would be the best. I do not think he would want to make a bunch of diffrent colors, but I'm sure he will be open to a few (like, clear, blue, red, and green, something like this.)
Let me know.
Posted By: goose00 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:17 PM
Hey i am very interested in these custom knobs. Of course depending on pics. im interested mainly in clear but green or blue to match indiglos would work too. If people are concerned with not being about to see the knobs i dont think it will be a problem, there is enough curves in the knobs that you will still be able to see where it is pointing. THat is that those curved areas will be dark when the light from behind shines through. I feel clear would be the best idea and most suitable for everyones needs if only one color can be made.
Posted By: nOsSvTcOnToUr_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:23 PM
i'll take them. let me know when
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 03:36 PM
I may be interested in a set of 3 for my Escape. I'll wait to see how these turn out first. I'm sure a bunch of folks at the Escape board I frequent would be interested in them as well if you decided to produce them for us(after an interest check of course). Does anyone have a pic of the backside of the Contour knob? The Escape has a bright white light that shines through a green plastic piece on the knob to give it an LED type effect, so I'm guessing colored knobs would be pretty cool.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 08:23 PM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
If they light up green, I won't be able to see them in front of my indiglo guage

doesnt the indiglo gauges light up blue, not from the color of the plastic, but because they have blue lights or LED's? if so, then clear knobs would be perfect.
And because I don't remember and it's daytime, is there actually an LED in the knob or does it get it's light from behind? And what about the headlight knob?
Posted By: NewPowerRadio Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 08:42 PM
Ooooooh! I want! I want!
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 09:15 PM
Blue. I am down.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 09:47 PM
Blue,green, red, or yellow,, umm I can't decide,, one of em.
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/22/04 10:49 PM
Im interested, lets see some pics
Posted By: JasonJ Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 12:44 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd be in if the knobs were sort of an opaque type lighting, so they just glow green. i dont think just plain clear, see thru knobs would look all that great. just my .02
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 12:52 AM
Def interested here. Although I think that my mystique knobs are different then your contour knobs (someone help me out here). And in my case all three knobs are not the same. The knob all the way to the left for high low ect has a different back (again something to take into condieration)

Well to throw my .02$ in. My vision of what it looks like when I first read the first post was that the knob would look like the little white dot that lights up but the entire knob would look like that and light up green or blue or what ever.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 01:11 AM
My apologies for this long post...

Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Originally posted by livinsvt:

doesnt the indiglo gauges light up blue, not from the color of the plastic, but because they have blue lights or LED's? if so, then clear knobs would be perfect.
And because I don't remember and it's daytime, is there actually an LED in the knob or does it get it's light from behind? And what about the headlight knob?

The knob is lit up via the lighting under the underlay. No LED's or any electronics are in the OEM knob. As for the headlight knob, I was looking at it today, and couldn't figure out how to get it to come off without possibly breaking it.

As for an Opaque version of clear... that is what will be used. Almost a "frosted glass" look. Clear and shiny would look tacky in the day light. The same goes for the colors, the colors will be opaque (or for some who dont know what that means, dull finish, but see through enough for light to shine through it.

As for prodcution, details are still being worked out and the drawing of the knob will be done tomomorow, aluminum molds will have to be made for these knobs. I should have a prototype within the next week and a half. Of a clear opaque knob. I will post pics of it.

Next thing. Owners of other cars (other than a Contique), I belive these knobs will work on ALL Ford products (including the mercury cougar ). If unsure, take a pic of the back of the knob with a ruler and I will compasre it, or, get ahold of your buddys COntour AC knob, and simply see if it fits.

As for colors, as of right now, the plastics provider man is supposed to call me tomorow or Onday with a price list on colors. Basically, standard colors cost the same, clear opaque (frosted clear) is a little more pricey. However, I will not charge extra for people wanting the frosted clear. As for colors I think will be a go, Blue, Red, Green, and frosted clear. I think these four colors would look great in any car, and is pretty much the "universal color" for modifications.

As soon as they are produced (There will be approximatly 1000 knobs made [the more made, the cheaper the cost to me and you] There will be aproximatly 200 knobs of each color, and 300 knobs of the frosted clear produced. So, doing the math, that will be aporximatly 66 sets (3 knobs per set) of each color and 99 sets (3 per set) of the frosted clear. I'm not taking bids or who gets what color yet, I will wait till they are sitting in a big box in the corner of my room. Then you guys can wip out your wads of cash. J/K

I have figured an aproximate cost per set of $15.00, this includes Priority USPS mail shipping. SO most of you would recive them in 2-5 days once shipped out.

Please dont make any requests for color at this time, I mjust want to see yeas and neas so I can have a semi accurate count of how many people I have currently wanting these. I'm not limiting people to a number of sets, if you want one of each, the more the merrier. Change your color theme daily if you want! Thanks for all the interest, I should (should is a big word in production terms, as some would know from past terrible group buys)have a picture in the next week or so of finsihed prototypes.

Also, when I have these all done, I will be asking for volunteers who live close to me (like within 30 minutes) for me to put these knobs on, take a picture of it in their car, and use it for my own personal good will of accomplishemnt. Sorry for those who live further, but I'm a busy man, sorta. I will need a mystique owner, contour owner, and a contique owner with indiglo overlays. Also, I would like other vehicles aswell (if they work in your car or truck). The people that I will selct for demo use, will get their knobs personally delivered by me and for half price (7.50 ish). I will ask on a specific date in the very very near future for volutneers, so it will be first come first serve for this "treat."
Oh, and don't ask me NOW if you can be one, I'l call for you peeps later.

Anymore questions or ideas, feel free to ask. I'm an internet bum, so I am usually on here all the time. thanks guys.

As stated by another CEG'er, the knob for fan speed is diffrent, I know. It will be produced in a diffrent mold aswell.
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 01:54 AM
I'm interested, but like many others i would like some pictures of the clear opaque ones. but i think I can be down for 15 bucks total.
Posted By: thejms Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 02:56 AM
I mjust want to see yeas and neas so I can have a semi accurate count of how many people I have currently wanting these.

yea....2 set clear
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 03:35 AM
Man, I like this guy already.. Has a cool product, gives a pretty close estimate on cost, keeps everyone posted and has updates... I'll be in as long as they look as cool as I'm picturing them look..

Mark
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Man, I like this guy already.. Has a cool product, gives a pretty close estimate on cost, keeps everyone posted and has updates... I'll be in as long as they look as cool as I'm picturing them look..

Mark

Yeah, let vote him for the President of all Group Buys
Posted By: BigC Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 04:15 AM
It'd be a close vote for group buy Pres. between him and D. Joyce. Anyways, if these are all interchangeable, is there a company that sells billet ones for the cougar or stang that may fit?

Very interested so far..
Posted By: Dtox Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 04:31 AM
At $15.00 I will definately buy a set. Whether I buy the red or clear will depend on the pics you provide. Also the knob for the headlights would be nice to get made as well.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 04:34 AM
Originally posted by BigC:
...is there a company that sells billet ones for the cougar or stang that may fit?

I have a friend that just had some made for his Grand Prix GT. They look awsome!! I thought about getting some made for my Mystique, but since it would be so hard to get the light to shine through... I mean since they are machined from solid billet aluminumnumnum...

I will have to also see some pics of these, so ya got my interest.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 05:38 AM
interested!
Posted By: outkast Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 02:22 PM
I had to make my billet aluminum knobs from a set of
custom focus knobs.I used an old set of knobs from the junk
yard.I cut the tips from the old knobs and installed them
inside the billet aluminum housing.Its very difficult to
duplicate the ford knobs,so I had to do it this way!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 02:27 PM
I think this would be a great mod, but you'll need to make them first and post the pics
Posted By: outkast Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 03:01 PM
I have them on the car!My camera $uck and I hate to post
ugly pics.I sent zetecninja a few pics,ask him if he wants to post them.
Posted By: MLK Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 04:08 PM
i will want a set - not sure on color until pics
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 05:10 PM
Very interested...pic's will be the final decision.

Scott
Posted By: NewPowerRadio Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 07:43 PM
I hope U will ship to CANADA
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/23/04 08:06 PM
I cant take it anymore I want to see pics !!!

but seriously I am def. interested (if they fit the mystique)
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 04:25 PM
I'd be in for a set of clear as long as it looks ok with the indiglo's I'm getting (sometime ??) in the future. I think blue knobs with the overlay would be too much. Lets see the pix. Thanks
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 07:40 PM
ok so if we still have the stock hvac controls, will these light up or do we have to put a light behind them? tia
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 07:46 PM
They will still light up, but if ya wanna change the light - you will have to put a LED behind the panel...
Posted By: outkast Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 09:31 PM
ALSO!can you have the headlight knob to match the heat
control knobs.That would be sweet
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 09:44 PM
Originally posted by outkast:
ALSO!can you have the headlight knob to match the heat
control knobs.That would be sweet

Right now, its a big enough task to get the two diffrent knobs to work out with the molds that will also work on the controls. I have two prototypes done.. in grey plastic (they are just "prototypes" to see if the mold is correct and are fully functionable and durable enough.) The two types that he made did not pass. The molds were not accurate and the back end of the knobs did not match up correct. Ofcourse this would all be very much expected in the stages of creating a new product form scratch. He is going to remake the mold on Monday, and give em another shot. If the mold wroks, its off to durability. TO make sure these knobs are of equal or greater quality than the OEM. Example, although they may look the same, I don't want someone to put the knob on, turn the fan on, and crack the fitting on the knob because the diffrent plastics required to make these clear colored opaque knobs is diffrent than the resin plastic used for the OEM. I'll find out how this plastic works on Tuesday or Thursday at the latest. The knobs are being made (or we'll be attempted to be made form) an acrylic resin. Similar to normal resin, but can be worthlessly cheap and undurable if not molded corectly Once all that is worked out, he can pump out hundreds of these little jewels extremly quickly and precisely. I would hate to make these, ship em out, and find out they are junk because they are cracking. Before anyone gets their hands on these, I wanna make sure that thjey are 100-110% more durable than our current ones on all of are cars. The 4 standard colors are still a go.
I'll fill you guys in on MOnday how everything went. Later
Oh, and yes, I will also ship to Canada, same price for you guys. I will not discrimnate to my Norhtern friends.

Chad
Posted By: chongo Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 10:09 PM
I will also ship to Canada, same price for you guys. I will not discrimnate to my Norhtern friends.

Chad

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Can't wait to see a finished pic!
good luck.
Posted By: goose00 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 10:46 PM
MOST so so def interested in these let us know
Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 11:37 PM
Id also be in for a set or two.

ivan
Posted By: GoSox Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 11:59 PM
As would I. Need to see some pics tho. Should look real sweet in blue
Posted By: incubusjunkie614 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/24/04 11:59 PM
i like the idea...but where are the pics??
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/25/04 04:52 AM
As I have stated before in prior posts... It hasn't been made yet. It is in the process of development and could be a week or two before the final production pieces are made and I am able to photograph them. The idea of the group buy post was to see who would be interseted... I wasn't about to make a bunch, then come one here to find out possibly no one wants them. I'll tell you this, I want be making you guys wait a year plus for something. I should (Should is a big word in new production pieces) have some pics of the finished product in a week or two. I can take a picture of the non-working prototype that is plain gray, if anyone would like to see it. However, you'll get the same effect looking at your current knob, becuase they are exactly the same, just primer colored right now. I'll get back to everyone on MOnday as to the situation of whether or not my dad has completed an exact mold that will work for the cars. I'm glad to see that so many people are very interested. Thats excellent. Later.

Chad
Posted By: BMorgn66 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/25/04 06:35 AM
Im in for some clear ones.
Posted By: chongo Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 12:46 AM
Originally posted by incubusjunkie614:
i like the idea...but where are the pics??

I can take a picture of the non-working prototype that is plain gray, if anyone would like to see it. However, you'll get the same effect looking at your current knob, becuase they are exactly the same

LMAO!!!!
Love people that won't read the whole post!

I like the idea of frosted! ummm maybe green....
Damn I might need a set of each.....
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 02:04 AM
You still gotta give props to this guy for updating us with these nice long posts every now and then.

Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 03:15 AM
Thankyou, thankyou!
Acknowledgements to my posts make me feel like God sometimes... I Love It.

To those who have used their schooling usefully and learned to read. I await as patiently as everyone else to see how Bee-itchin these things are gonna look. Hope I have good news for you all tommorow evening that the mold is finished and correct. If so, the actual colors will be molded at the end of this work week (Thursday-ish) and tested for it's durability. I'll let you know tommorow evening as to how it's goin. Thanks for all the input, excitement, and patience. Later.

Chad
Posted By: LXValdivia Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 05:04 PM
I am definetly in if they look good. Will you be making the headlight knob too?
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 05:31 PM
Originally posted by LXValdivia:
Will you be making the headlight knob too?

*bangs head on wall for everyone who has read the entire thread.*
Posted By: Swazo Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 06:25 PM
I'm in if they turn out nice.......
Posted By: GoSox Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 08:21 PM
Sounds great, thanks for keeping us posted.
Posted By: bklynman01 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/26/04 09:05 PM
i'm sure that once you put up the pics, everyone will want them. count me in. i'd deffinetly get a set of those for my car.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 02:59 AM
The mold is done! For one knob, atleast. He's gotta make the one for the fan speed (which is diffrent.) AS for headlight controls, I'm gonna research that later in time (Month or so, after I get all the AC stuff done. But, most certainly, look for a group buy in the future (yes, like several months from now) for the Headlight knob. I'm gonna keep track (via Microsoft Excel, sophisticated, eh?) of who purchases what, and will cut them a deal in the future if they wish to purchase the headlight knob. Not a clue on prices or availibility. Tommorow, my dad is going to be desinging and cutting the mold for the other knob. SO, come wednesday, he should be set to start making hte real thing. I'll keep ya guys posted tommorow how the other mold went. Thnaks for the patience. I am reminded by a good quote, "Good things come to those who wait." Guess thats why I never got any good things . You could possibly see some pics as early as next week monday of final products, as long as all goes well with the other mold and durability. Later

Chad
Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 03:01 AM
Thats awesome, thanks for keeping us posted!

ivan c.
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 03:19 AM
Rocket - u rock!
Posted By: MLK Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 05:18 AM
I will have to buy a set just on principle alone!
Posted By: bklynman01 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 07:03 PM
i know everyone says it...but you're great when it comes to keeping us updated. thanks for the constant info on the ubject. can't wait to see those pics
Posted By: 818Contour Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 07:58 PM
These knobs sound like like a great mod!
And the price your estimating is also great!
I'm certainly in for a set!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 08:01 PM
Chad, bring the prototype to the meet at Dave and Busters this Saturday so we can all see it inperson
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/27/04 08:23 PM
yeah im still down. sounds like they will work well. still waiting on pics though, but im still here! thanks for the updates!
Posted By: goose00 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/28/04 03:45 AM
still interested in the knobs. and cant wait to see the next mod u come up with like a clear shift or e brake?!!?!?
Posted By: BigC Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/28/04 04:18 AM
I know that the coin tray pops out- that'd be titties in clear, or translucent red in my case.
Posted By: jedssvt_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/28/04 04:24 PM
Count me in on at least one set of the clear frosted ones.
Thanks for keepin us posted.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/29/04 02:51 AM
You guys are all a bunch of knobs!! j/k

Sorry, couldn't resist.

This sounds really cool. $15!?! That's great! Let's see some pics.

Thanks,
Ben
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/29/04 01:07 PM
Hey guys. Sorry for no post yesterday. Between work, school, adn these knobs, I've been pretty dead. Anyways, to update. The mold for the fan speed knob is still being worked on. The craptacular weatehr here forced my dad to close shop the other day. The plastic "tiny balls" of acrylic resin have been ordered and should be shipped soon. They are first sending a test package of each color (Red, Green, Blue and clear). This will allow us to make 2 knobs (Fan Speed and the other one) from each color, test em, make sure they fit, work, and are strong (Plus look cool, the most important). If all goes well, then the Large 100 pound bags of plastic will be ordered. I am getting the real tiny bags first just to make sure all comes out well, keeps cost down for you and I. My dad hopes to continue on working this mold out. The engineer has already drawn up the other knob, it's just cnc machining the dang thing to make a PERFECT Alloy mold of the knob. Oh.... and also for all that asked. Look for a headlight switch knob in late spring, if these AC control knobs come out great. I'll feel you in on details when the time comes for that. Still have yet to figure out how to get the damn knob off, though. Any pointers on that???!!

ANyways, thanks for the patience, I feel like I've been making you all wait a terribly long amount of time for these. However, I'm sure you guys are all fine since its only been two weeks and I've not collected a dime of cash.. just your two cents.

Fill you guys in tonight. Oh, Dave and Busters. What time? I have school on Saturdays (yeah.... I know ) Let me know what time, I'll see if Ican make it out there. Thanks for the invite.

Later
Chad
Posted By: coatsy Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/29/04 01:18 PM
K read the whole post don't see any pics though 8-(.
I'm in if I see them .
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/29/04 04:53 PM
Paitence my friend, hes working on it
Posted By: danielschweer Re: Custom AC knobs - 01/29/04 05:42 PM
im in!!
Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/02/04 03:45 AM
updates bump...
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/02/04 03:36 PM
Originally posted by eyevancsu:
updates bump...

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/03/04 02:32 AM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in updates. The plastic arived today, and te injection molding will be done tommorow or wednesday. Hopefully it all works out and he can start mass producing these puppys. ONce again, sorry, been so freakin busy, but don't wanna turn my back on CEG, this place is great. Thanks for the patince, I'll let ya know how it all goes tommorow. Later

Chad
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/03/04 02:59 AM
Chad's the man, Thanks Bro!
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/03/04 03:10 AM
Originally posted by SVTcontourSVT:
Chad's the man, Thanks Bro!

Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/05/04 12:34 PM
Updates bump!
Posted By: bklynman01 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/05/04 05:26 PM
maybe i'm an idiot...but has this convo gone somewhere else?
Posted By: SVTcoop Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/05/04 07:12 PM
Originally posted by eyevancsu:
Updates bump!

it has been 3 days since he has updated. He said it won't be done for a couple weeks, give the man some time.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/06/04 12:54 AM
HEy guys... sorry to keep you un updated for the last couple days... the plastic ball things arrived at my dads work today.. they look pretty cool. He is going to mold the couple tommorow evening and test em Saturday to make sure they are strong and won't break. From what my dad said, he is a little concerned if the fitting on the back will be strong enough, or if it will strip and crack like a piece of ribbon candy. I'll find out tommorow, I have my fingers crossed right now. If it doesn't work, I'll have to search for another company who makes plastic of this same consept, but stronger, or hault this thing til I can afford to have another mold made of a much thicker knob. I've spent a good chunk of change on the develop. of these molds and the four packs of sample Acrylic resin ($330.97 to be exact.) So, I really hope it all comes out well tommorow. I'll keep ya guys posted tommmorow. Thanks for all the patience and... what is a convo? Later

Chad
Posted By: Y2k SE Sport_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/06/04 01:46 PM
Here you go!

I want a set of the frosted ones. That way when I switch the panel colors, the knobs will change also.

Are you going to color or mark a pointer?

Posted By: MLK Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/10/04 06:01 AM
Well? You wrote

"So, I really hope it all comes out well tommorow. I'll keep ya guys posted tommmorow."

on the 5th - Anything?

Just curious not pushing you.
Posted By: bklynman01 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/10/04 07:59 PM
convo---short for conversation. none of you think small, huh? i'm to lazy to have to type out EVERYTHING. from now on though, i'm sure it will all be typed out.
Posted By: onosway Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/12/04 04:00 AM
anything?
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/12/04 04:04 AM
Originally posted by nyceboi:
anything?

Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/12/04 09:50 PM
Updates Bump #2!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/13/04 01:35 AM
OKay.. it's been a week of trial and error... and have come out with bad news. The plastic isn't working, it crumbles like ribbon candy. I've used plastic sources from four diffrent vendors, and still it is not working. SO.. I have to put this potential group buy on hold for awhile til I can mustard up some more dough to have new molds made that make the knobs thicker than OEM (the knobs would be almost solid translucent plastic) I've invested almost 600 bucks in mold making, man hours, and plastic... and I am very sorry to let you people down... however, look for a return oh these knobs this summer when I have some more cash saved up. As I said before, the price will not reflect my loss, I still estimate them $15-20 pair and will look more into the idea of the headlight switch this spring. If my dad hasn't thrown out the knobs (we did make some and they look realy cool, but when they are takin out of the mold, they almost crumble out.), I'll take some pics of the "remains" of these knobs to give you guys an idea of what they WILL look like this summer when they are thicker, better, and availible. Once again, on behalf of Plasco Technologies and myself, I appologise.
Posted By: flcontour98 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 12:36 AM
I'd like to have seen some pics, but in theory it sounded pretty cool. Too bad
Posted By: outkast Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 12:49 AM
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 01:46 AM
Posted By: incubusjunkie614 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 04:43 AM
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 08:13 PM
Posted By: jon_mason14 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 08:49 PM
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/14/04 11:01 PM
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 05:26 AM
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 11:55 AM

ok, someone had to do it. ill take my annoying drunk self and go to bed. . .
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 06:17 PM
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SVTcontourSVT:

Why are people getting mad at RedRocket? It's not like you've already paid him and he isn't coming through on his end... He's obviously put a lot of time and money into this and I'm sure he's WAY more disappointed than any of us... I say we let him do his thing and I'm sure he'll come through this summer like he said...

Mark
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 08:44 PM
Y2K.... couldn't of said it better myself. Thankyou, and I'll remember you this summer... I'll hook you up when the knobs are finnaly profected and complete.
Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 09:51 PM
maybe we can donate some cash/paypal/mo to speed up the process? Id be willing to...
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 10:02 PM
THats a nice idea.... but I really don't want to start taking peoples money for development of prototypes... seems "risky" for the invester. Example, if I did this earlier when the group buy started, everyone would be screwed... I hate screwin' people like that. Its my investement prototype and I wish to be the only one to bare the financial losses. Thanks for the offer, but I'm trying to work my tail off to get this goin again.
Posted By: GoSox Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/15/04 10:32 PM
Quote:

I hate screwin' people like that.

Just for clarification, would that be missionary or freestyle?
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/16/04 02:17 AM
THats a nice idea.... but I really don't want to start taking peoples money for development of prototypes... seems "risky" for the invester. Example, if I did this earlier when the group buy started, everyone would be screwed... I hate screwin' people like that. Its my investement prototype and I wish to be the only one to bare the financial losses. Thanks for the offer, but I'm trying to work my tail off to get this goin again.

Do you got them pics you were talkin about?
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/16/04 02:28 AM
Hey Chad, if you get one of the prototypes done and you wanna see what everyone thinks about it, bring it to one of the meets, we'll tell you
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/16/04 02:41 AM
When I get one made... I'll make sure it is seen by everyone. The broken pieces of the ones that were made were already thrown out before I could get my hands on them . I'll see if my dad has anymore of the clear color plastic left, and I'll have him mold another one for show tommorow... if he still has some. I'll Let you all know tommorow.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 12:50 AM
Just don't get pi$$ed and give up. Keep us informed (as you have) and when the time comes, we'll all go for it. Thanks
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 01:46 AM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Just don't get pi$$ed and give up. Keep us informed (as you have) and when the time comes, we'll all go for it. Thanks

I don't think he will give up. He seems like a great guy. I will for sure go for it. Keep up the good work. Good luck!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 02:30 AM
Lemme tell you guys.. there ain't no way in hell I'm gonna give up on this. Not with so many people wanting this product (myself included). I will update this post when I have restarted making the knobs (sometime in the next few months) and you better believe that they will work, look cool, and you guys will love em, and make me a millionare outa them (alright, thats a little far stretched). And... also, count on the headlight knob being done this time, aswell as a possibilty (this is after the knobs) of making the window, door, and sunroof swithces in the same manner. (Just thought about that yesterday.) Again... that is LATER... like probably by Christmas this year. Thanks for all the support and hope to see some of you guys at the SZ04... I'm registering, are you?!

(I think I stole that slogan from Macomb Community College, or something like that.)

Chad
Posted By: eyevancsu Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 02:47 AM
Window/door/ and sunroof(if i had one) switches would be awesome. Ill tough this one out till the end, i really want those.

-ivan
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 03:11 AM
aswell as a possibilty (this is after the knobs) of making the window, door, and sunroof swithces in the same manner. (Just thought about that yesterday.) Again... that is LATER... like probably by Christmas this year.

Now that is fugging awesome! I know its a little early, but depending on the price for all 6 sets of button parts for the window and lock switches, i'm down. Pop some blue LEDs under them and i think that would really set off my doors in a good way. You think it would be under $40 for all of them? I realize its very early, but if that seems like a right price considering materials, R&D....then i woud soooo totally buy them. FOR REAL

*I must keep an eye on this thread, please update if and when those clear butons become reality.*
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 04:23 AM
yay for the headlight knob!!!!!

also, if these work out well, im sure most would have faith enough in you to throw a deposit down to help you develop the window switches. just to ease things for you a little. establish a good rep. with me and i dont have a problem helping you out a little.

dont let me speak for everyone though. a lot of people here have been burned lately and may not be as trustful as others. . .
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 06:30 AM
As I said before, the price will not reflect my loss, I still estimate them $15-20 pair and will look more into the idea of the headlight switch this spring. .

Kudos to that, thank you for the effort eh.
Keep up the good trying.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/17/04 03:25 PM

dont let me speak for everyone though. a lot of people here have been burned lately and may not be as trustful as others. . .

Yeah, still waiting on the eglow gauges w/HVAC. Hopefully not much longer???
Posted By: R_G Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/18/04 04:33 AM
Rocket - "yes" for all
Posted By: ContourRacer77 Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/18/04 09:59 PM
How much would they be?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Custom AC knobs - 02/19/04 02:39 AM
Like I said.. it's just an "idea" no reserach and deveolpment right now... look for info about the sitches later this year. KNobs will still be around 15 bucks a set... 20-ish with headlight knob included.
© CEG Archives